2023 CFB Coaching Carousel begins to spin and spin… | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2023 CFB Coaching Carousel begins to spin and spin…

Reaction Score
Disagree. Kelly is a good coordinator, and a better recruiter…..ask Saban.

Fact is Sanders has shown zero interest in high school recruiting and is probably on a timeline that corresponds to when his kid goes pro. After that he’s probably out of there.

He’s a snake oil salesman of the highest order and it won’t take too many cycles for kids and their parents/advisors to figure that out.
Did you watch that defense? It was almost as bad as Billy Crocker when he was here

Reaction Score
Did you watch that defense? It was almost as bad as Billy Crocker when he was here
LOL, yeah I watched a few Buff games. But then again it's not like you could miss 'em, what with the network overexposure of 'CoAcH pRiMe'.

The roster Kelly was working with was the epitome of leftover football garbage, a combination of subpar talent kids left over from prior regimes and refugees from the portal that happened to play on a different side of the ball than Shedeur. (pro tip-this is bad)

At 'Bama Kelly had several years' worth of blue chip depth to use, so of course the comparison isn't exact. But Colorado's roster was basically FCS quality with all of the kids Deion ran off combined with the general lack of size and speed.

It was not his fault at all. I think it is more than fair to state that given 3-4 recruiting cycles working under a head coach that actually gave a damn about establishing a long-term recruiting infrastructure Kelly would have at least put together a top 30 level unit.

Deion is a joke. I stand on that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
LOL, yeah I watched a few Buff games. But then again it's not like you could miss 'em, what with the network overexposure of 'CoAcH pRiMe'.

The roster Kelly was working with was the epitome of leftover football garbage, a combination of subpar talent kids left over from prior regimes and refugees from the portal that happened to play on a different side of the ball than Shedeur. (pro tip-this is bad)

At 'Bama Kelly had several years' worth of blue chip depth to use, so of course the comparison isn't exact. But Colorado's roster was basically FCS quality with all of the kids Deion ran off combined with the general lack of size and speed.

It was not his fault at all. I think it is more than fair to state that given 3-4 recruiting cycles working under a head coach that actually gave a damn about establishing a long-term recruiting infrastructure Kelly would have at least put together a top 30 level unit.

Deion is a joke. I stand on that.
I'm guessing just a DS hater. Period.
Next.................................

Reaction Score
Nope. Just someone that knows pretty damn well how to scope a BS artist.
Well, when it comes to coaches, one man’s idea of a BS artist is another’s motivational leader. There are lots of examples. I’ll take DS any day over the moribund lackeys who held that job for the last 5 years. Three of my grandkids went to or currently attend UC Boulder. Mel Tucker and Karl Dorrell were worse than BS artists. They were campus deflators. Home games half full at best—no juice and little interest in the program. Losses galore —and here’s the difference—with no hope for improvement.
The difference now is almost incalculable. I don’t care if Prime decides to leave when his sons do or if he’s offered another job. That happens all over college football programs.
And losing assistants does too.
I’d start sculpting his statue today and put it right next to Ralphie!

Reaction Score
Well, when it comes to coaches, one man’s idea of a BS artist is another’s motivational leader. There are lots of examples. I’ll take DS any day over the moribund lackeys who held that job for the last 5 years. Three of my grandkids went to or currently attend UC Boulder. Mel Tucker and Karl Dorrell were worse than BS artists. They were campus deflators. Home games half full at best—no juice and little interest in the program. Losses galore —and here’s the difference—with no hope for improvement.
The difference now is almost incalculable. I don’t care if Prime decides to leave when his sons do or if he’s offered another job. That happens all over college football programs.
And losing assistants does too.
I’d start sculpting his statue today and put it right next to Ralphie!
For winning 4 games? No wonder you love Randy.

Reaction Score
For winning 4 games? No wonder you love Randy.
No, not for winning 4 games. For making Colorado football relevant and enthusing a student body beyond anything I've seen here. The money is pouring in and the student applications are off the charts. Consider that the prior 5 years out there were worse than being at the Rent on a rainy day. Prime will do even better next year. Go ahead and tell us you wouldn't have loved Prime coaching at UConn because you think he's a BS artist.

Reaction Score
No, not for winning 4 games. For making Colorado football relevant and enthusing a student body beyond anything I've seen here. The money is pouring in and the student applications are off the charts. Consider that the prior 5 years out there were worse than being at the Rent on a rainy day. Prime will do even better next year. Go ahead and tell us you wouldn't have loved Prime coaching at UConn because you think he's a BS artist.
I didn't say that. The hype was real, but at the end of the day he won 4 games. We won 3. He's got a long way to go.

Reaction Score
I thought Deion would flame out. In game one, the offensive efficiency, speed and detail had me rethinking that big time. I was very impressed. Now, I’m just not sure. I don’t expect him to stay at Colorado for very long, but he might put a good team together there and stick around a while. It’s hard to get a read on it right now. The natural assumption is that he’ll leave and do something easier, but Deion isn’t a typical guy.

Reaction Score
I didn't say that. The hype was real, but at the end of the day he won 4 games. We won 3. He's got a long way to go.
Colorado also was only predicted to win 1 game at the beginning of the season. Yes the season ended terribly for Colorado, but they still did significantly better than everyone thought they would.

Reaction Score
We wouldn’t have beaten any of the teams they did, except maybe Colorado State. We would’ve gotten walloped by the teams they stayed close with. Colorado would’ve gone 9-3 with our schedule. Beyond silly comparison.

Reaction Score
We wouldn’t have beaten any of the teams they did, except maybe Colorado State. We would’ve gotten walloped by the teams they stayed close with. Colorado would’ve gone 9-3 with our schedule. Beyond silly comparison.
Whatever. You are what your record says you are. He was talking all kinds of smack when they beat TCU and came back to earth. He cant simply out talent the competition like he did at Jackson State. He's gonna have to outcoach guys. Maybe he can maybe he can't.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you're hoping he won’t.
What? Could care less if he does or he doesn't. He talks a huge game. Talking about he's bringing his own luggage off the rip and wasting no time almost breaking arm patting his own back. I'm a UConn fan if Deion or Colorado succeed is off little importance to me. I do think he is overrated because of what he did at Jackson State. Travis Hunter and his son, great players as they are are not going to obliterate the competition like they did at JSU. He's gonna have to coach. He seems to be laying blame at the feet od his coaches this year.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I love Mora, but we missed out on Leipold when we had the chance

Well, looks like he'd be on the move. Different stages of their respective careers

Reaction Score
Well, looks like he'd be on the move. Different stages of their respective careers
He left Buffalo in great shape when he went to Kansas. It's on them for not hiring the right coach after. He would have easily made UConn respectable again and then we both would have been in better positions when he left. I still fully believe Mora is the perfect man for the job. He'll get it done. He's well liked and respected, he's vocal about what he wants and what the program needs to succeed and I full believe recruiting will get better the longer he's here. He builds great relationship with high school coaches and that lead to more pipelines for us.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Whatever. You are what your record says you are. He was talking all kinds of smack when they beat TCU and came back to earth. He cant simply out talent the competition like he did at Jackson State. He's gonna have to outcoach guys. Maybe he can maybe he can't.
Love that Whatever:p

Reaction Score
Love that Whatever:p
I just don't go into hypotheticals too much. In his 1st year Mora beat ranked team, the MWC champ and a P5 school. I'm sure people could do a deep dive and find a reason why all 3 of those were flawed somehow. Same could be said, I'm sure for Colorado's wins this year. Like the TCU team they beat this year was nowhere near the team that got to the CFB championship last year, yet so much of the Buffaloes hype was off that win. I'm not invested or interested enough to look into CU's other wins. I'm not a "Prime Hater" as has been insinuated, i just think he is going to have to prove his coaching chops. He's great at self promotion, he's gonna have to show he is great at coaching as well. Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
Now that is a ridiculous comparison. Colorado is a major program that conferences were fighting over. We are a G5 Independent. I’m not sure they go 9-3, but a winning record probably against our schedule is pretty likely. Almost all P4 teams would have a winning record playing a G5 schedule.

Reaction Score
Now that is a ridiculous comparison. Colorado is a major program that conferences were fighting over. We are a G5 Independent. I’m not sure they go 9-3, but a winning record probably against our schedule is pretty likely. Almost all P4 teams would have a winning record playing a G5 schedule.
Out of all of our opponents, I'll pick on NC State, Tennessee, Duke and JMU. I think there's a better than even chance 2023 CU loses at least three if not all four of those games given the, um, charitably speaking 'unbalanced' nature of the Buff's roster, but for argument's sake let's give 'em a V against JMU. I'm thinking that Doeren and Elko would have completely flummoxed Shedeur and Tennessee's overall talent level would have settled that game in short order. JMU was no pushover but that seems the most likely least likely win.

That leaves:

Thunder Chickens
Sacred Heart
Utah State
Georgia State
UMass
South Florida
Harvard of the South
FIU

So I'm feeling 9-3 as well. But I think the overarching point is that for us to harbor realistic expectations of winning against schedules like we played last season we at a minimum have to field a roster quality in line with what CU put together last year, perhaps with more offensive v defense balance. And right now we don't have that and are not particularly close.

As an extreme point, watching the Michigan and Washington sidelines you could see that their entire three deep on both sides could probably have run on the field and competed. That's the coin of the realm in today's environment.

Reaction Score
Out of all of our opponents, I'll pick on NC State, Tennessee, Duke and JMU. I think there's a better than even chance 2023 CU loses at least three if not all four of those games given the, um, charitably speaking 'unbalanced' nature of the Buff's roster, but for argument's sake let's give 'em a V against JMU. I'm thinking that Doeren and Elko would have completely flummoxed Shedeur and Tennessee's overall talent level would have settled that game in short order. JMU was no pushover but that seems the most likely least likely win.

That leaves:

Thunder Chickens
Sacred Heart
Utah State
Georgia State
UMass
South Florida
Harvard of the South
FIU

So I'm feeling 9-3 as well. But I think the overarching point is that for us to harbor realistic expectations of winning against schedules like we played last season we at a minimum have to field a roster quality in line with what CU put together last year, perhaps with more offensive v defense balance. And right now we don't have that and are not particularly close.

As an extreme point, watching the Michigan and Washington sidelines you could see that their entire three deep on both sides could probably have run on the field and competed. That's the coin of the realm in today's environment.

I'm not sure your last point holds. FSU (which is generally loaded) couldn't compete without their 1s on the field. But the rest of it holds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom