2023-24 LSU Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2023-24 LSU Thread

Reaction Score
Y'all really believing that clip is real is hilarious. Watched it live and there was no booing at all.

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Ok, I didn't really believe it so that makes more sense.

Reaction Score
I read she has plantar fasciitis, it flared badly in Cayman Islands when she slipped on the floor. She seemed to play inured vs VT and was visibly limping. Sounds like she will sit out the rest of this month.

Not a fun thing to deal with
That is very difficult to get fully over. She'll probably be able to 'control' it for this season. But she made need next summer to actually get completely over it.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
LSU beats Northwestern State 81-36. Kim Mulkey gets a double technical with 4:56 left after disagreeing about a charge foul called against Morrow. LSU was up 71-30. She was, er, a bit spicy.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
LSU beats Northwestern State 81-36. Kim Mulkey gets a double technical with 4:56 left after disagreeing about a charge foul called against Morrow. LSU was up 71-30. She was, er, a bit spicy.
About time she got tossed, she has a habit of going too far onto the court while complaining with her spicy talk. Most of the time the officials let her get away with it, this time they didn't. She also seems to be past the coaches line on the sidelines and the refs don't call her on that either.

Reaction Score
Hey, say what you will, Kim Mulkey brings exciting to the game. She is always doing something to incite and excite either her players or the fans. Most of the time she's good for women's basketball. You either love or hate her, there's rarely an in between. Getting a double-T in a game that was totally under control and means diddly squat showed Morrow and her team how much she's behind them and supports her.

Reaction Score
Hey, say what you will, Kim Mulkey brings exciting to the game. She is always doing something to incite and excite either her players or the fans. Most of the time she's good for women's basketball. You either love or hate her, there's rarely an in between. Getting a double-T in a game that was totally under control and means diddly squat showed Morrow and her team how much she's behind them and supports her.
I have no problems with Coach Mulkey. She does bring a certain element to the games which make it that much more colorful. I was watching the game, with the sound off, and saw coach getting heated. Naturally I had to turn the volume up to hear what was going on. Coach Mulkey was playing to the crowd. When she retires, if she likes wrestling, she might have an extended career as a manager in one of the wrestling platforms.

I just loved the ref's reaction when coach lost it. He just ignored her and hit her with the 2nd whistle and the finger out. I will have to watch her post game presser and get her comments.

Reaction Score
She was bored beating cupcakes. Score. Time. Why?

Reaction Score
About time she got tossed, she has a habit of going too far onto the court while complaining with her spicy talk. Most of the time the officials let her get away with it, this time they didn't. She also seems to be past the coaches line on the sidelines and the refs don't call her on that either.
A lot of coaches, both on the men's and women's sides, are guilty of this. I've rarely seen a ref call it during a game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So I just watched the video of Morrow’s charging foul and Mulkey getting tossed. First off, the foul call wasn’t even close. It was an obvious charge on Morrow. But then, Mulkey’s reaction is hard to fathom, up 40+ against a helpless cupcake with 4 1/2 minutes left to play.

Whatever you think about her, Mulkey has had to deal with a lot of STUFF over the past month or so, and she’s probably under a good deal of stress. Like a lot of us, Mulkey is getting older and crankier. Ultimately, if she expects her team to play with poise and discipline, she needs to set an example herself.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to image this entire scene as anything more than an act by Mulkey. Maybe she was just getting behind on a new book she's reading and wanted some private time to catch up?

Reaction Score
I imagine Kim’s act was intended to manage team morale going forward. Lots of room to speculate on why she might think this would be useful. Many of us wondered how she would manage all the “personalities” she just added to the roster. This may be one of the ways.

Reaction Score
Who were the refs?

Maybe she is trying to bully the refs into second guessing their decisions during conference or tournament play. Is that a thing coaches do?

instances like this make me wonder if there should be harsher penalties when coaches are expelled from the game. Contrary to popular belief, refs are humans too. I could see a financial penalty or a longer time away from the game (e.g. Treat it like targeting in football where coaches have to sit out the first half of the next game if the technical foul happens after halftime).

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
So I just watched the video of Morrow’s charging foul and Mulkey getting tossed. First off, the foul call wasn’t even close. It was an obvious charge on Morrow. But then, Mulkey’s reaction is hard to fathom, up 40+ against a helpless cupcake with 4 1/2 minutes left to play.

Whatever you think about her, Mulkey has had to deal with a lot of STUFF over the past month or so, and she’s probably under a good deal of stress. Like a lot of us, Mulkey is getting older and crankier. Ultimately, if she expects her team to play with poise and discipline, she needs to set an example herself.
IMHO Kim gets away with more on the sidelines than most coaches, and dare I say it, more than some men, whether it be wandering way outside the coaches area, being on the court, or the histrionic removal of clothing layers. I would not give her a pass due outside influences/stress that she's been dealing with, as in these types of jobs, you take the bad with the good, and I agree that she needs to set a better example.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Who were the refs?

Maybe she is trying to bully the refs into second guessing their decisions during conference or tournament play. Is that a thing coaches do?

instances like this make me wonder if there should be harsher penalties when coaches are expelled from the game. Contrary to popular belief, refs are humans too. I could see a financial penalty or a longer time away from the game (e.g. Treat it like targeting in football where coaches have to sit out the first half of the next game if the technical foul happens after halftime).
Good point about penalties, as she was precariously close to the ref, and thankfully, he just pointed, ejected her, and walked away.

Reaction Score
Look, as I said previously, she adds to the game. If you're a fan, then you most likely enjoy what she does on the sidelines. If you're not, then you'll holler she needs to be financially penalized or to set a better example. The announcers can't wait to jump on the fact that she's on the court, or considerably outside the coaching line, etc. She gives color to their broadcasts. She adds color to the games she coaches. She gives it to the refs (much of the time they deserve it). Does she go overboard at times? Of course, but every coach knows when they're going too far and when another word or gesture is going to get them tossed. There are numerous reasons why they do this. But to financially penalize them (or her in this case) for a non-physical thing would open the door to numerous additional ridiculous rules! The complaints, as usual, are based on which side of the court you reside.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

My question is what was a starter doing on the court when the team has a 40 point lead with 5 minutes left in the game. Oh, I see it, to pad her double double stats. Morrow getting another foul at that point might put a damper on that plan...
Plus it puts LSU on ESPN's front page, again, heading into conference play.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My question is what was a starter doing on the court when the team has a 40 point lead with 5 minutes left in the game. Oh, I see it, to pad her double double stats. Morrow getting another foul at that point might put a damper on that plan...
Plus it puts LSU on ESPN's front page, again, heading into conference play.
Through the years Kim has caught some criticism about her OOC cupcake schedule. Some of the one-sided beat downs that LSU, as well as her Baylor teams, put up in these games makes you wonder what exactly she’s trying to achieve. On the other hand, LSU did exactly the same thing last year and ended up with the National Championship. Go figure….

Reaction Score
Through the years Kim has caught some criticism about her OOC cupcake schedule. Some of the one-sided beat downs that LSU, as well as her Baylor teams, put up in these games makes you wonder what exactly she’s trying to achieve. On the other hand, LSU did exactly the same thing last year and ended up with the National Championship. Go figure….
I think Kim uses the cupcakes the way other coaches use a practice squad. It's a plan, to get her kids used to finding their spots against weak competition, and to get used to winning. By tournament time, they know how they're supposed to move and where they're supposed to be on defense.

In some ways, the cupcake schedule last year wasn't quite as shocking as it is this year, just because the SEC doesn't seem as strong as it was last season. I mean, LSU lost to a ranked team in the first week and beat another ranked team a month later. But they won't face another ranked team until the end of January when they play SC, and then not another ranked team until the tournament. They'll end up with 2 or maybe 3 losses by the tournament, and have one of the weakest schedules for a contender. Is that Kim's fault or are the ranking schemes out of date? It's a fair question.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to image this entire scene as anything more than an act by Mulkey. Maybe she was just getting behind on a new book she's reading and wanted some private time to catch up?
Maybe she needed some footage for a self produced documentary.?

LSUAlum96

Loooooong Time Lady Tigers Fan
Reaction Score

...........and this is why I don't understand all the crying from others, about LSU's non-conference schedule. Who cares? They've played two top 25 teams and the rest non-ranked teams. The point in the early season is to build chemistry and they're doing that. By the way, yesterday's game AT Coppin State was a great homecoming for Angel Reese.;)

LSU, the defending national champion, beats Coppin State 80-48, but the Eagles still come out a winner

Geaux Tigers!;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
...........and this is why I don't understand all the crying from others, about LSU's non-conference schedule. Who cares? They've played two top 25 teams and the rest non-ranked teams.
I like how you minimize the phenomenon by calling them “non-ranked teams.” As if the 354th-best team in Division I is just barely outside the top 25.

Also, Kim can only be credited for scheduling one of those two “ranked” opponents, since the other was the conference challenge game.

As to your question, “Who cares?”: I do, for one, and I'm probably not alone on this.

I don't have a problem with a team scheduling one, two or maybe three exhibition-quality games against the lower echelons of D-I. But it's obscene when a coach schedules 80-90% of her nonconference games against the Little Sisters of the Poor, Destitute and Downtrodden.

Marquee matchups between top teams draw interest from a nationwide audience and help to grow the sport. That's a big part of why Pat Summitt sought out elite nonconference opponents, and other great coaches (like Geno, Tara, Dawn, and the former Notre Dame coach) have done similarly.

Watching LSU drub McNeese by 89 points might go over well with the locals, but game after game of such silliness does little to promote the sport to a broader audience, no matter how many times Kim gets herself ejected.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
...........and this is why I don't understand all the crying from others, about LSU's non-conference schedule. Who cares? They've played two top 25 teams and the rest non-ranked teams. The point in the early season is to build chemistry and they're doing that. By the way, yesterday's game AT Coppin State was a great homecoming for Angel Reese.;)

LSU, the defending national champion, beats Coppin State 80-48, but the Eagles still come out a winner

Geaux Tigers!;)
There are 360 NCAA D1 teams; rankings by Massey. Only 5 of the 13 teams have more wins than losses and 2 of those 5 are only 1 win above .500

43D4FE65-BEF3-402D-AA10-40BD7D92D4B2.jpeg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Geaux Tigers!;)
Kim can do what she wants and she clearly knows what she’s doing since she’s had so much success, but scheduling these awful games wastes opportunities for marquee matchups that help grow the game. I mean, could you imagine the ratings if they scheduled Iowa this year?? The attention and number of eyes watching would be insane. Or if they played UCONN for a #1 vs #2 battle? Instead we get meaningless games vs bottom tier programs and it’s just such a missed opportunity to get more eyes on the sport.

Also, at Baylor, Kim never scheduled this poorly. She often scheduled matchups with Tennessee/Notre Dame/UCONN/etc but now has shied away from they for an unknown reason.

Reaction Score
I like how you minimize the phenomenon by calling them “non-ranked teams.” As if the 354th-best team in Division I is just barely outside the top 25.

Also, Kim can only be credited for scheduling one of those two “ranked” opponents, since the other was the conference challenge game.

As to your question, “Who cares?”: I do, for one, and I'm probably not alone on this.

I don't have a problem with a team scheduling one, two or maybe three exhibition-quality games against the lower echelons of D-I. But it's obscene when a coach schedules 80-90% of her nonconference games against the Little Sisters of the Poor, Destitute and Downtrodden.

Marquee matchups between top teams draw interest from a nationwide audience and help to grow the sport. That's a big part of why Pat Summitt sought out elite nonconference opponents, and other great coaches (like Geno, Tara, Dawn, and the former Notre Dame coach) have done similarly.

Watching LSU drub McNeese by 89 points might go over well with the locals, but game after game of such silliness does little to promote the sport to a broader audience, no matter how many times Kim gets herself ejected.
I just don’t see how you can build a fanbase when you feed them only cupcakes. Sure, everybody schedules SOME patsies but why would I want to watch the loaded LSU lineup against the 300th ranked team.

Of course scheduling is a two way street. I don’t know how many coaches of top ten-ish teams wanted to play LSU this year. Plus, Kim is not very well liked by other coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom