2022 Recruiting Thread | Page 46 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Gang, I think the plan is to have a better OL in 2022.

As for offering Warner, nothing bad can come from offering a kid that likes throwing bombs whose dad was an all star NFL pro. Its a smart offer. Splash is good.
If you look at the OL play this year, most of the problems are miscommunication or missed assignments. It's kind of expected with how young the OL is and with the OL coach also the underperforming OC. It's total mismanagement that with a young OL the OL coach is not fully dedicated to the OL. And, the current scheme is bad with slow developing running plays that makes the OL look bad. I think the OL will look a lot better next year with a few additions, more development of the existing players, a full time OL coach, and a competent OC.

Reaction Score
Transfer portal and JUCO means potential recruits are not interested in a place where they work for 2 years to develop and then get the rug pulled out from them. We need guys who bleed blue, not mercenaries.

Reaction Score
Transfer portal and JUCO means potential recruits are not interested in a place where they work for 2 years to develop and then get the rug pulled out from them. We need guys who bleed blue, not mercenaries.
You are wrong. For example, the top P5 schools bring in a top QB or 2 in every recruiting class, but only one is going to start so kids will move on to try to play. Look at Jurkovec at BC. Seems like a good kid, but he was a backup at Notre Dame and transferred to BC and he has performed well. Or Will Levis, CT kid, who transferred from Penn State and is now starting at Kentucky. UConn has had some really good transfer QBs: Zach Fraser, Bryant Shirreffs, David Pindell,... and I would say all 3 "bled blue".

And, kids get recruited over at P5 schools. They may be 2nd or 3rd string at a loaded position at a P5 school, but they want the opportunity to play.

Reaction Score
Edsall improved the team with developmental talent but this team needs an immediate infusion of talent in some spots. OL, QB, secondary, edge rusher. You can develop players and bring in guys to help you be more competitive right away. That is something, "empty cupboards, and total rebuild coaches" we have brought in never wanted to do. With the transfer portal being what it is, why would you not want to attack that?

Reaction Score

In order to get back to a respectable on field product, UConn football quite literally is the poster child for needing mercenaries.

Competition at every position is essential for future success. Just look at what Mel Tucker did with Michigan State.

You don’t need to be a team that hits the portal hard every year, but early on in the Mora era it is going to be pivotal as he establishes his recruiting base here at UConn. As time progress I would assume the portal would be used more as roster supplement than for a complete overhaul.

Reaction Score
Go to 49:18 here to listen to Mora's thoughts on Transfer Portal/JUCO versus "born and bred UConn guys":

Reaction Score
During the men's basketball game, Crispino seemed to imply that Warner (or a QB from Arizona as he said) is committing to UConn. May have misspoken and meant we offered, but it will be interesting to see if he let something slip.

Reaction Score
Huskymedic - who is working with Mora for the latest offers? Hard to believe he is doing all the work himself.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If you look at the OL play this year, most of the problems are miscommunication or missed assignments. It's kind of expected with how young the OL is and with the OL coach also the underperforming OC. It's total mismanagement that with a young OL the OL coach is not fully dedicated to the OL. And, the current scheme is bad with slow developing running plays that makes the OL look bad. I think the OL will look a lot better next year with a few additions, more development of the existing players, a full time OL coach, and a competent OC.
My thinking is the offensive line needed more one on one coaching and didn't receive it due to Guiffe's double duty, My hope is that there will be one offensive line coach whose only duty is the oline

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom