2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 39 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I don't think it complicates anything consider the circumstances. We're dealing with a World crisis. We have to adjust from what we've been used to as the "normal". This is the new normal.

Reaction Score
Tell the JUCO kid looking for a spot it doesn’t complicate things... ;)
And, some JUCOs enter college in January for workouts and Spring ball. And, it is pretty tough on the body to play 2 football seasons in less than a year. So, some JUCO players will not be playing this Spring.

C

Chief00

Things have been quiet on our end for nearly a month. The Big Ten’s scheduling decision isn’t good for Independents. It’s a huge cloud.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Gearing up for high school ball in Ohio. Leaving it to individual districts decide. Powers that be kicking the can down the curb to escape culpability.

Reaction Score
Things have been quiet on our end for nearly a month. The Big Ten’s scheduling decision isn’t good for Independents. It’s a huge cloud.
This is an uniformed opinion.

First, the 10 (or 11) verbals UConn has is tied for the most verbals by this date in the past 10 years. Next, you must not understand how many scholarships UConn has for the next year. There are only 9 players that will have used up their eligibility, but UConn carries over, I think 4 or 5 scholarships, so as it stands right now, UConn will have 13 or 14 scholarships available for next year. Obviously, there is always some turnover on the roster, but UConn may only have 18 to 20 scholarships for next year. Plus, UConn has historically used their camps to make formal offers to recruits, but the camps aren't happening this year and the coaches adjusted their approach and we should give them credit for that.

Finally, as others have stated, COVID-19 is impacting everyone and this coming season will be an abbreviated season at best no matter what happens from here.

One last point. Some recruiting "gurus" are thinking COVID-19 has pushed kids to commit to schools even though they have not visited them. If visits are allowed later this year, we could see a larger number of decommits than we have seen in the past.

Reaction Score

First, the 10 (or 11) verbals UConn has is tied for the most verbals by this date in the past 10 years. Next, you must not understand how many scholarships UConn has for the next year. There are only 9 players that will have used up their eligibility, but UConn carries over, I think 4 or 5 scholarships, so as it stands right now, UConn will have 13 or 14 scholarships available for next year. Obviously, there is always some turnover on the roster, but UConn may only have 18 to 20 scholarships for next year. Plus, UConn has historically used their camps to make formal offers to recruits, but the camps aren't happening this year and the coaches adjusted their approach and we should give them credit for that.

Finally, as others have stated, COVID-19 is impacting everyone and this coming season will be an abbreviated season at best no matter what happens from here.

One last point. Some recruiting "gurus" are thinking COVID-19 has pushed kids to commit to schools even though they have not visited them. If visits are allowed later this year, we could see a larger number of decommits than we have seen in the past.

This is the Boneyard, we're in the midst of a pandemic, so let's not go overboard with logical thinking.......... :rolleyes:

C

Chief00

So you don’t think there’s any difference about saying we play Indiana and Illinois this year vs. maybe CCSU and Liberty? Makes the same impression to a recruit.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Which part was uninformed? Things have been fairly quiet outside of the bat signal last week that never saw a commit follow. And the Big Ten's decision, and any other conference that has gone conference only, isn't good for independents since we have no conference to fall back on and will likely have to scramble together to fill out schedules that have suddenly developed holes, if we play. Seems like a huge cloud to me.

Reaction Score
So you don’t think there’s any difference about saying we play Indiana and Illinois this year vs. maybe CCSU and Liberty? Makes the same impression to a recruit.

God, I hope not. How about we tell them we played New Hampshire regularly back in the day or OU a decade ago or San Jose State in 28? I'd like them to focus more on who we will play when they are actually here, what their opportunities will be while here and if this is a good fit.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Which part was uninformed? Things have been fairly quiet outside of the bat signal last week that never saw a commit follow. And the Big Ten's decision, and any other conference that has gone conference only, isn't good for independents since we have no conference to fall back on and will likely have to scramble together to fill out schedules that have suddenly developed holes, if we play. Seems like a huge cloud to me.
2020 is all about clouds and fog. Nothing is changing anytime soon. Hold on for the ride through this storm.

At some point we should all start thinking about how to save the 2021 season.

I think @UConnJim 's post was on point except for perhaps his slightly antagonistic opening. Edsall has never recruited above his known graduating class size until late in the cycle (ie after its decided who isn't coming back for a fifth year in November). We have roughly 6 unused scholarships and 9 graduating kids for a class of 15. We will probably have 5 to 7 kids lost to attrition (for the usual reasons), but Edsall is unlikely to push his commitment list above 15 or so until December and that's assuming we somehow have a normalized fall season which is extremely unlikely.

Also, lets all consider it is likely all kids will get an extra year of eligibility which will create interesting opportunities everywhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Things have been fairly quiet outside of the bat signal last week that never saw a commit follow.

Since our last public commit on June 19th (Tyler Phommachanh) - We’ve offered at least (5) 2021 kids in the middle of a recruiting dead period w/ no camps and have one non-public commit in hand (which happens every year).

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Since our last public commit on June 19th (Tyler Phommachanh) - We’ve offered at least (5) 2021 kids in the middle of a recruiting dead period w/ no camps and have one non-public commit in hand (which happens every year).
In football I don't pay a lot of attention to offers due to how many go out. When I say quiet it means no new commits or news related to the current team members.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I think UConnJim's post was on point except for perhaps his slightly antagonistic opening.
I was just taking issue with the term uninformed. I didn't see where Chief really stuck his neck out, just said it's been quiet and conference only scheduling stinks for independents.
I took it as 2 independent statements, maybe my mistake there. If he was implying that the B1G decision was affecting recruiting, that's a different story.

Reaction Score
I was just taking issue with the term uninformed. I didn't see where Chief really stuck his neck out, just said it's been quiet and conference only scheduling stinks for independents.
I took it as 2 independent statements, maybe my mistake there. If he was implying that the B1G decision was affecting recruiting, that's a different story.
He implied that the B1G's scheduling decision was impacting recruiting and I thought that was an uninformed opinion, which it is.

C

Chief00

They wont be playing this year's schedule.

Respectfully, you miss the point. We were playing these teams home and home and their conference unilaterally decided that would not happen this year. It questions what’s on paper for any future year.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, you miss the point. We were playing these teams home and home and their conference unilaterally decided that would not happen this year. It questions what’s on paper for any future year.
We don’t have Illinois or Indiana scheduled past 2020 so why would what the B1G decided this bizarre year impact 2021 recruits. Actually, they may benefit from any rescheduling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom