OT: - 2021 NBA Playoffs | Page 37 | The Boneyard

OT: 2021 NBA Playoffs

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The Bucks sucked in the first quarter. Is that a controversial statement?
Nope, not necessarily controversial, but it's also something you're offering here in less than fully good faith.

Attitudinally, your initial phrasing sucked, and it aged poorly.

Then you floated an attempt to gaslight by way of a sneaky reframe, and now you've attempted some repair in response to an earnest walkthrough, where @HooperScooper had the maturity to check his assumptions.

Generally speaking, considerate people don't communicate like this when they are among presumed allies in an affinity group, in this case fellow UConn fans. You operate contrary to this polite convention with recognized regularity, and overall little inclination to respond with something like, "Yeah, I jumped the gun on that one. It was, in sum, a pretty awesome game," which was fully available to you, and a better fit for what you & I both witnessed.

Other folks here are briefer and less analytical when they write, "You do you." They're not really being more supportive of you when they do that. The kindest I can come up with is that you might be too bound to your brand-building to 'play nicer' with others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't even make it to the first quarter, being old sucks. I'm so lame. Series has been awesome (all I've seen are highlights) :(

Reaction Score
If Phoenix makes it to Game 7, the fans have to spice up the Giannis counting routine. It's becoming white noise.

Try something like: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 10, 11, 12"

Or go full Buzz with it:

Reaction Score
IMG_8370.jpg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nope, not necessarily controversial, but it's also something you're offering here in less than fully good faith.

Attitudinally, your initial phrasing sucked, and it aged poorly.

Then you floated an attempt to gaslight by way of a sneaky reframe, and now you've attempted some repair in response to an earnest walkthrough, where @HooperScooper had the maturity to check his assumptions.

Generally speaking, considerate people don't communicate like this when they are among presumed allies in an affinity group, in this case fellow UConn fans. You operate contrary to this polite convention with recognized regularity, and overall little inclination to respond with something like, "Yeah, I jumped the gun on that one. It was, in sum, a pretty awesome game," which was fully available to you, and a better fit for what you & I both witnessed.

Other folks here are briefer and less analytical when they write, "You do you." They're not really being more supportive of you when they do that. The kindest I can come up with is that you might be too bound to your brand-building to 'play nicer' with others.

Umm, no.

Hooper was making a driveby "I told you so/in your face" post against me by repositioning an observation as a prediction, although Hooper's attack would be lame even if my post was a prediction. About 1/4 of this board does little else but attack posters over old posts, and this same 1/4 brings literally nothing to the board in terms of insight or even positive input. There is little more tedious than an "I told you so" from a poster that has never made a single prediction about anything. I have a pretty low tolerance for these kind of posts from anyone.

I actually like Hooper as a poster, so it is a little disappointing that he would engage in this nonsense. Pulling one post out of context is particularly lame since I have dozens of posts about the Bucks in this thread that provide a comprehensive view of my opinion about the team.

Reaction Score
If Phoenix makes it to Game 7, the fans have to spice up the Giannis counting routine. It's becoming white noise.

Try something like: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 10, 11, 12"

Or go full Buzz with it:

He's started to incorporate and use it rhythmically in his routine.

He dribbles, then picks up his dribble at 6, raises up at 7, starts the shooting motion at 10, and releases at 11. The worst FT he took last night he was off the count lol.

That being said, he still missed an unacceptable amount of FTs last night, so it's not helping him per se. He was wide left a lot last night.

Reaction Score
That was a very concerning game for Phoenix, though. Chris Paul, Cam Johnson, and Mikal Bridges combined went 8/8 from 3 and the rest of the team went 5/11 and they lost!

Reaction Score
Umm, no.

Hooper was making a driveby "I told you so/in your face" post against me by repositioning an observation as a prediction, although Hooper's attack would be lame even if my post was a prediction. About 1/4 of this board does little else but attack posters over old posts, and this same 1/4 brings literally nothing to the board in terms of insight or even positive input. There is little more tedious than an "I told you so" from a poster that has never made a single prediction about anything. I have a pretty low tolerance for these kind of posts from anyone.

I actually like Hooper as a poster, so it is a little disappointing that he would engage in this nonsense. Pulling one post out of context is particularly lame since I have dozens of posts about the Bucks in this thread that provide a comprehensive view of my opinion about the team.
Listen, you've been on a rampage the last month or so taking shots at everything about the Bucks. You pick your spots when there's a chance to, like when they were terrible for the first quarter last night or when they lost the first 2 games to the Suns. But now they're 1 win away from winning the NBA championship. But you choose to continue to take your shots instead of admitting maybe, just maybe, the Bucks are doing something right. It's really odd that you can't admit you were wrong at all and keep bashing the Bucks because it fits your narrative since this thread started.

I have no issue with you but can you admit you were wrong at all? Maybe even a little even after posting the "Bucks being the Bucks" before they ended up winning the game?

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Umm, no.

You got the Umm right.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Listen, you've been on a rampage the last month or so taking shots at everything about the Bucks. You pick your spots when there's a chance to, like when they were terrible for the first quarter last night or when they lost the first 2 games to the Suns. But now they're 1 win away from winning the NBA championship. But you choose to continue to take your shots instead of admitting maybe, just maybe, the Bucks are doing something right. It's really odd that you can't admit you were wrong at all and keep bashing the Bucks because it fits your narrative since this thread started.

I have no issue with you but can you admit you were wrong at all? Maybe even a little even after posting the "Bucks being the Bucks" before they ended up winning the game?

Look at the post before “this is why the Bucks are the Bucks” where I point out that I think they have been the best team in the NBA for 3 years. It is literally the post in this thread before the one you use to attack me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That was a very concerning game for Phoenix, though. Chris Paul, Cam Johnson, and Mikal Bridges combined went 8/8 from 3 and the rest of the team went 5/11 and they lost!

Phoenix is good, the Bucks are better.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy are definitely right about one thing. Officiating is totally biased against big men today.

Reaction Score
Skip is an absolute moron.
He’s made a living using the Jim Rome blueprint of say something contrarian and kind of outrageous, get a reaction, then get paid. Stephen A. Smith, Doug Gottlieb, are just 2 of the many disciples of the troll philosophy. It’s the loud-mouth at the end of the bar who injects himself into the game, gives his opinion on any and every thing, and ruins everybody’s sports experience. And fans love to hate them, no matter what they say otherwise.

Reaction Score

So this description just made me think that Nelson is actually a true Bucks fan. And I don't say that in a negative way... The team for so many years (decades) has left fans disappointed again and again and again that the fans that really stuck with them have it ingrained in their DNA now. So Nelson could be just about any one of my friends/family/neighbors who stuck it out through the rough years who are now watching this special run. When bad things happen, it's the end of the world. When good things happen, they're high as a kite.

I haven't read your posting history, but Nelson are you a fan of the Bucks? If so... and don't lie to me... Uncle Paul? Is that you??

Reaction Score
Stop feeding the troll and return to talking about basketball please.

I fear the series is close to over. The Bucks survived that 1st Q haymaker and then some. Bucks were dominate for the next 2.75 quarters and the Suns could not stop their offense with Holiday hitting shots. IF Bucks have 3 offensive threats clicking- Giannis, Middletown and 1 other guy the Suns are cooked. But at home PHX did finally mount a late 4Q comeback in the last 3 minutes. Once again with a chance to win the Bucks made the big defense play when they needed it. This is squarely in the Suns' collective psyche now that they know & fear the Buck can stop them at the key moments.

I think the Suns have a good enough team to win this and win on the road, but they'll need to play much better D and make the Bucks come from behind. Bucks win if the game is close or if they have the trifecta of offensive players going, which seems more likely at home. I'd give Bucks 75% chance to close this out in 6.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Stop feeding the troll and return to talking about basketball please.

I fear the series is close to over. The Bucks survived that 1st Q haymaker and then some. Bucks were dominate for the next 2.75 quarters and the Suns could not stop their offense with Holiday hitting shots. IF Bucks have 3 offensive threats clicking- Giannis, Middletown and 1 other guy the Suns are cooked. But at home PHX did finally mount a late 4Q comeback in the last 3 minutes. Once again with a chance to win the Bucks made the big defense play when they needed it. This is squarely in the Suns' collective psyche now that they know & fear the Buck can stop them at the key moments.

I think the Suns have a good enough team to win this and win on the road, but they'll need to play much better D and make the Bucks come from behind. Bucks win if the game is close or if they have the trifecta of offensive players going, which seems more likely at home. I'd give Bucks 75% chance to close this out in 6.

There are no more than 2 games left, so yes, the series is close to over.

I like the Suns, but they are no more than a solid Conference Semifinals/Conference Finals caliber team that played 3 straight teams missing one of their best players in order to reach the NBA Finals. There is no way the Suns are still playing if AD, Murray and Kawhi are healthy. Injuries are part of pro sports, and I think some injuries, like AD and Harden/Kyrie, were not exactly shockers given the respective players' ages and injury histories, but they definitely had a big impact on the playoffs. The Suns are close on talent, and I like Williams as a coach, but this team is a year or two away from really challenging for a title. Booker has a tendency to freeze his teammates out. Johnson, Bridges and Ayton should be getting the ball more in scoring situations rather than solely as bailouts after Booker has run the clock down. The Suns, and really Booker, have shot phenomenally well in games 1, 2, 4 and 5 against a good Bucks defense, but he is not good enough to win a championship by himself. Defensively, they are good, not great.

The Bucks are just the better team, and a lot of analysts, like Barkley, were calling this early in the playoffs. Giannis is the best player in the NBA and may be the best athlete on the planet right now, and he has a very good supporting cast. A lot has been written about Budenholzer's coaching, and I agree with most of it. He is a decent regular season coach for this team, but he is a step slow on adjustments and the offense is not structured enough given all the offensive talent the Bucks have. As the Bucks get deeper into the playoffs, a few possessions can be the difference between winning and losing, and the Bucks do have a tendency to waste possessions. That is the only reason Phoenix still has a chance.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I like the Suns, but they are no more than a solid Conference Semifinals/Conference Finals caliber team that played 3 straight teams missing one of their best players in order to reach the NBA Finals. There is no way the Suns are still playing if AD, Murray and Kawhi are healthy. Injuries are part of pro sports, and I think some injuries, like AD and Harden/Kyrie, were not exactly shockers given the respective players' ages and injury histories, but they definitely had a big impact on the playoffs. The Suns are close on talent, and I like Williams as a coach, but this team is a year or two away from really challenging for a title. Booker has a tendency to freeze his teammates out. Johnson, Bridges and Ayton should be getting the ball more in scoring situations rather than solely as bailouts after Booker has run the clock down. The Suns, and really Booker, have shot phenomenally well in games 1, 2, 4 and 5 against a good Bucks defense, but he is not good enough to win a championship by himself. Defensively, they are good, not great.

The Bucks are just the better team, and a lot of analysts, like Barkley, were calling this early in the playoffs. Giannis is the best player in the NBA and may be the best athlete on the planet right now, and he has a very good supporting cast. A lot has been written about Budenholzer's coaching, and I agree with most of it. He is a decent regular season coach for this team, but he is a step slow on adjustments and the offense is not structured enough given all the offensive talent the Bucks have. As the Bucks get deeper into the playoffs, a few possessions can be the difference between winning and losing, and the Bucks do have a tendency to waste possessions. That is the only reason Phoenix still has a chance.
Yes, but are you @MU in MKE 's Uncle Paul and/or a Bucks fan?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
He’s made a living using the Jim Rome blueprint of say something contrarian and kind of outrageous, get a reaction, then get paid. Stephen A. Smith, Doug Gottlieb, are just 2 of the many disciples of the troll philosophy. It’s the loud-mouth at the end of the bar who injects himself into the game, gives his opinion on any and every thing, and ruins everybody’s sports experience. And fans love to hate them, no matter what they say otherwise.

(rip kobe...)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Very defensive
You have been smashing Budenholzer all along
Admit it - he has this team one win away - I don't care if he sits on the bench and says nothing - he is the coach and they are 1 game away - remember this playoff run has not been the smoothest as far as player availability - most teams missing their biggest star would have imploded at that time
The guy is doing something right
It's all right if you mis step- just own up to it
Win or lose Budenholzer led them further than you wanted

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Very defensive
You have been smashing Budenholzer all along
Admit it - he has this team one win away - I don't care if he sits on the bench and says nothing - he is the coach and they are 1 game away - remember this playoff run has not been the smoothest as far as player availability - most teams missing their biggest star would have imploded at that time
The guy is doing something right
It's all right if you mis step- just own up to it
Win or lose Budenholzer led them further than you wanted

About 1/4 of this board does little else but attack posters over old posts, and this same 1/4 brings literally nothing to the board in terms of insight or even positive input. There is little more tedious than an "I told you so" from a poster that has never made a single prediction about anything. I have a pretty low tolerance for these kind of posts from anyone.

Reaction Score
The narratives about the Buck's defense changes are so incredibly overblown.

Here's what actually happened: The Suns scored 118 or 119 every game they've been home, and they've scored 100 and 103 on the road, because they made 3s at home and missed 3s on the road (29 and 30% from 3 on road, 32, 50, and 68% at home).

Holiday is a very good defender, but whomever of the Suns 2 guards he hasn't been guarding has been torching them. The Bucks didn't stop them, just outscored them last game on the road, thanks to all 3 of their guys having good games in the same game for the first time all series.

The one thing that is partially a credit to the Bucks and partially a demerit to the Suns, is that the Suns have stopped getting to the FT line as the series has gone on. The Bucks letting Booker go ISO without fouling is part of it, and so I think that's the one aspect of a defensive tweak that has been strong (even though he's scoring 1.2ppp on ISO, so it's not working out THAT well and the Suns haven't gotten the end of game winning time FTs either in last 3 so the effect is exaggerated).

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The narratives about the Buck's defense changes are so incredibly overblown.

Here's what actually happened: The Suns scored 118 or 119 every game they've been home, and they've scored 100 and 103 on the road, because they made 3s at home and missed 3s on the road (29 and 30% from 3 on road, 32, 50, and 68% at home).

Holiday is a very good defender, but whomever of the Suns 2 guards he hasn't been guarding has been torching them. The Bucks didn't stop them, just outscored them last game on the road, thanks to all 3 of their guys having good games in the same game for the first time all series.

The one thing that is partially a credit to the Bucks and partially a demerit to the Suns, is that the Suns have stopped getting to the FT line as the series has gone on. The Bucks letting Booker go ISO without fouling is part of it, and so I think that's the one aspect of a defensive tweak that has been strong (even though he's scoring 1.2ppp on ISO, so it's not working out THAT well and the Suns haven't gotten the end of game winning time FTs either in last 3 so the effect is exaggerated).

538 had a great article about how they’ve changed what they did with holiday and it’s affecting the entire suns offense.

They’re letting booker get his and trying to keep everyone else in check.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom