OT: - 2021 NBA Playoffs | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: 2021 NBA Playoffs

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kidd turning down the Portland job seems like a slap in the face to Lillard. Basically, Kidd knows he has one more shot at a head coaching gig and he doesn't want to use it on betting on Lillard.

I think Lillard is really just a Westbrook without the rebounding, and Doncic may be Westbrook but with a worse attitude. It is fun to be the star, but the true stars make their teams better rather than just piling up fancy stats. Doncic doesn't even get along with some of his teammates. Porzingis does not appear to like playing with him.

Reaction Score
Porzingis does not appear to like playing with him.

I think it's pretty clear that Porzingis is the problem wherever he goes.

Doncic has made THJr much better. That Mavs team is blah on paper, Doncic elevates the whole team. But I do think Luka has the similar LeBron "issue" of being so good that supporting stars simply have to take a reduced role unless you're a great iso-scorer. Bosh, Love, etc. That's exactly what KP is in DAL: a worse version of MIA Bosh or CLE Love. A floor-spacing catch-and-shoot big. Go stand in the corner. KP's offensive repertoire is more limited than Bosh or Love though. He's 7'3 in his 6th year in the league and still terrible in the post. It is strange to me that a Luka/KP PnR game isn't nearly unstoppable.

Reaction Score
But when did he start shooting FT's like Simmons? :confused:
FT's have never been all that good for him but they were clearly in his head now. His three point shot used to be a bit of a problem too but he fixed that, he'll fix the ft's too, he's too great not to.

Reaction Score
Kidd turning down the Portland job seems like a slap in the face to Lillard. Basically, Kidd knows he has one more shot at a head coaching gig and he doesn't want to use it on betting on Lillard.

I think Lillard is really just a Westbrook without the rebounding, and Doncic may be Westbrook but with a worse attitude. It is fun to be the star, but the true stars make their teams better rather than just piling up fancy stats. Doncic doesn't even get along with some of his teammates. Porzingis does not appear to like playing with him.
Keep em coming, you also think Paul George is better than Doncic.

Reaction Score

Doncic has made THJr much better. That Mavs team is blah on paper, Doncic elevates the whole team. But I do think Luka has the similar LeBron "issue" of being so good that supporting stars simply have to take a reduced role unless you're a great iso-scorer. Bosh, Love, etc. That's exactly what KP is in DAL: a worse version of MIA Bosh or CLE Love. A floor-spacing catch-and-shoot big. Go stand in the corner. KP's offensive repertoire is more limited than Bosh or Love though. He's 7'3 in his 6th year in the league and still terrible in the post. It is strange to me that a Luka/KP PnR game isn't nearly unstoppable.
Porzingis is 7'3 and he just sits way out on the wing and bricks 3 pointers, they use Dwight Powell of all people as the pick and roll player. Not entirely sure if it's the organization decision with Porzingis because of injuries or if Kristaps confidence and game is just destroyed because of all the injuries. Hardaway Jr. and Boban were Doncic's offensive help, what a mess.

Reaction Score

Yeah everyone loved playing with MJ

He just averaged 35/8/10, did so efficiently, but you find it important to talk about his attitude because you heard a rumor on TV that his bust of a team mate doesn’t like him.

Fair observation on Dame getting scorned by Kidd though lol

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Zinger and Richardson getting worse in Dallas is a bit of a concern.

I’m not sure where the issue lies, but those were big misses

Reaction Score
Porzingis is 7'3 and he just sits way out on the wing and bricks 3 pointers, they use Dwight Powell of all people as the pick and roll player. Not entirely sure if it's the organization decision with Porzingis because of injuries or if Kristaps confidence and game is just destroyed because of all the injuries. Hardaway Jr. and Boban were Doncic's offensive help, what a mess.

I guess the problem (outside of health) is KP's inability to effectively play the 5. You'd think he would be the ideal stretch 5 in today's league. That's how I always envisioned his prime when he was on the Knicks: him as the PnR 5 surrounded by shooters. Instead, he's often one of the floor spacing shooters and as you said another big is the roll man.

Reaction Score

The Richardson thing is amazing. I can't believe how useless he was. He finished up the season yesterday with 6 minutes and no stats outside of two turnovers. DAL thought they pulled a fast one with the Seth trade while adding Richardson and "replacing" Seth with Tyrell Terry.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

Lillard and Doncic's games do not resemble Westbrook's what so ever.

the Q

Reaction Score
I wonder if kidd felt the need to do that because there was no permission to talk with the blazers yet.

but not a good sign for Portland either way.

Reaction Score
I wonder if kidd felt the need to do that because there was no permission to talk with the blazers yet.

My personal speculation would be that he was never a real candidate from Portland's perspective to begin with, despite whatever comments Lillard made. I don't think Kidd is a very desirable head coach.

the Q

Reaction Score
My personal speculation would be that he was never a real candidate from Portland's perspective to begin with, despite whatever comments Lillard made. I don't think Kidd is a very desirable head coach.
This also makes sense.

back channels told him he had no shot so he gets in front of it

still doesn’t look good for dame when he was his top choice.

I guess billups or casell could be in play here

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess Lillard decided he wanted the green light to shoot from 70'. Lillard's second half clanking in the deciding game had something to do with the loss. I really hate the mentality of these shooters. They cant believe that a bad shooting game is possible and should try to do other things to win when that happens.

Reaction Score

it’s a great sign for Portland. Now Jason Kidd won’t be their head coach.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I like Carlisle, but 10 years without winning a playoff series is a long time. Some new blood may be a good thing.

I am not sure what anyone expects when playing Porzingis at the 3 point line. I don't know how much better he can be than his current performance, but I am 100% certain that Dallas should be getting him closer to the basket.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah everyone loved playing with MJ

He just averaged 35/8/10, did so efficiently, but you find it important to talk about his attitude because you heard a rumor on TV that his bust of a team mate doesn’t like him.

Fair observation on Dame getting scorned by Kidd though lol

Doncic also got into it with Carlisle during a timeout.

By comparison, Trae Young acts like a jerk on the court, but his teammates all seem to like playing with him.

Reaction Score
Maybe the "stats experts" are right at basketball has reached its terminal point and there will be no further developments. You should go ahead and make that bet. Or maybe we are in about the 4th inning of the analytics revolution in basketball.

What you and most of the sports statisticians don't get is that more 3 point shooters don't result in better 3's. It's not that hard to figure out if you think about it.

And I put "stats experts" in quotes because the sports statisticians are fairly rudimentary compared to the statistical analysis occurring in many other fields. We have a long way to go.
Maybe you should make up an argument on my behalf, dare me to wager on it even though its impossible and then use a baseball analogy to drive the point into the stanchion.

Not a statistician but I choose to enjoy watching and enjoy the changes to the games while limiting my howls at the clouds.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Mike Budenholzer is the biggest choker of a playoff coach in NBA history.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Giannis is regretting that max contract he signed in the fall. The Bucks look terrible. Some organizations just are too steeped in failure to ever be anything other than a loser. The Milwaukee Bucks are one of those organizations.

Reaction Score
But but but the Bucks swept the Heat and the Nets only beat the Celtics by 12. I told you that you can’t go by comparative scores.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
But but but the Bucks swept the Heat and the Nets only beat the Celtics by 12. I told you that you can’t go by comparative scores.

I believe I was the one that pointed out that Budenholzer was a choker, if you want to keep score of “I told you so’s”.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom