2021 Caroline Ducharme to UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2021 Caroline Ducharme to UConn

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Strother was #1 in her HS class. I believe she was the only HS #1 not to make WoH which some people ridiculously equate to a failed UCONN career. If either Saylor or Caroline could have a UCONN career equal to Strother that would be amazing.
Tamika Williams was also a HS #1 not on the Wall. But she holds the NCAA record, I believe, for FG % shooting. She clearly has the UConn record.

Reaction Score
Strother was #1 in her HS class. I believe she was the only HS #1 not to make WoH which some people ridiculously equate to a failed UCONN career. If either Saylor or Caroline could have a UCONN career equal to Strother that would be amazing.
Strother was an excellent complimentary player. She was instrumental in the two Nat. Championships with DT. But when DT graduated and Ann needed to become the #1 option, she couldn't create her own shot and so was unable to be the go to player. Her excellent career never reached the apex we all hoped for. BTW, my nephew was in Ann's class in high school and knew her well, so I had some insight into her personality. Very driven and motivated. Became a successful model after graduating...

Reaction Score
Serious question because I have never played an organized team sport. If a Uconn team has 10+ decent players, would we see a more balanced distribution of playing time with no more than 25min going to any top tier player? Probably not the quite same but I am thinking for example in the case of an advisor with 6 PhD students, they would likely get roughly equal time from the advisor? If that's not the case, I can see why people want transfer to get more playing time.
During the Stewie era, the starters played about 28 minutes(Did not look up). Only the point guards played a bit more. Don't forget, during this era, AAC teams were being beaten by 40 points.

Reaction Score
Tamika Williams was also a HS #1 not on the Wall. But she holds the NCAA record, I believe, for FG % shooting. She clearly has the UConn record.
Tamika not only holds the NCAA record for FG%, but she holds the WNBA record as well. She was the Big East Freshman of the Year in 1999 and, even though UConn lost in the Sweet 16, she was the only Husky to make the All-Regional Team. (It’s rare for a player to make the All-Regional Team if her team loses in the Sweet 16 as the All-Regional Team is usually made up of players from the two Elite 8 teams.)

Reaction Score
During the Stewie era, the starters played about 28 minutes(Did not look up). Only the point guards played a bit more. Don't forget, during this era, AAC teams were being beaten by 40 points.
I think 25-28 minute average for the starters during the season is perfect!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Strother was an excellent complimentary player. She was instrumental in the two Nat. Championships with DT. But when DT graduated and Ann needed to become the #1 option, she couldn't create her own shot and so was unable to be the go to player. Her excellent career never reached the apex we all hoped for. BTW, my nephew was in Ann's class in high school and knew her well, so I had some insight into her personality. Very driven and motivated. Became a successful model after graduating...
Thank you. I was going to ask what happened after her sophomore season but you answered it for me. Now, if Caroline and Saylor can help win at least two NC, as Strother did, that would be great.

Reaction Score
If you look at Geno's time as NT coach, the minutes on the team were quite well distributed between the top ten players in each competition. It was pretty clear who the starters were, but the substitutions were frequent and many - he tended to substitute a few players at a time so chemistry was maintained within the substitute pool as well as within the starters - that is always an issue, the more time spent with specific players in games the better chemistry is developed. The last two on the bench were often more 'emergency' players based on a specific game situation, and injury, foul trouble, or simply trying to 'blood' a younger player.

I think if you look back at the 1999-2002 period at Uconn you also see how Geno handles a loaded roster - no one was getting 30 minutes a game, but a lot of players were in the 15-22 minutes per game range. Jessica Moore in 2001-2 was getting 18 minutes a game playing behind Williams, Jones, and Cash, so she was ready for 2002-3 when they all graduated. Williams, and Jones had played significant minutes behind Shumacher in 2000 and 2001.

I really wanted to go back and check the historical stats, unfortunately, the uconnhuskies.com site only kept stats from 2015-2016 onward.

Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet she will be in the Top 10 all time in 3 pt fg% when all is said and done.
I will take that bet. She is not elite shooter in Mass Prep League which is poorest competition . She had major knee injury and can not create her own shot other shoot three pointers. She is ranked 40th. She is not
On any USAA Teams ever for her age groups.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Could you elaborate a bit on the stuff she dealt with, if it's publicly known? I wasn't aware beyond what I saw on the game broadcasts...
The coach of the Colorado Hoopsters an amateur traveling BB club that Ann, Liz Sherwood, and Keirsten Walters all played for was accused of sexual assaulting some of his players. 59 counts were filed, and he hanged himself in jail before the case was brought to trial.

Reaction Score
Thank you. I was going to ask what happened after her sophomore season but you answered it for me. Now, if Caroline and Saylor can help win at least two NC, as Strother did, that would be great.

Yep, UConn siimply didn't have the talent between D's departure and Tina's arrival. It was a recruiting lull, and opposing teams were able to focus on Strother and shut her down. Fine player, but just not enough support from the other four players on the court.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yeah, should've put all of Ducharme's rating's here:

ESPN: 41

Prospects Nation: 23

ASGR: 16

Blue Star: 7

Premiere Basketball Report: 17

ASGR has either updated their 2021 rankings or simply adjusted Ducharme's because they have her listed 13th now instead of 16th in a new tweet.

Reaction Score
I commented earlier that there are some incredible shooters lined up to come to Storrs. That includes Caroline, Saylor and Paige. But the best pure jump shooter I’ve ever seen is the young lady at St Johns Prep in DC. If Azzi becomes a Husky, she will be the answer to the question, “Who is the best shooter in UConn’s history?”
If she’s better than KML, AND she comes here, I’ll be thrilled. K has the sweetest touch I’ve ever seen. Always shocked when it didn’t go in.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I really wanted to go back and check the historical stats, unfortunately, the uconnhuskies.com site only kept stats from 2015-2016 onward.
Not sure what you are looking at but here are the minute stats I have from the UConn site.
1586129095917.png

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If Azzi commits we will be just plain awful!!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It’s only 5 minutes of video. Line drive shooter and didn’t use her left hand at all.
What difference does it make what line her shot is on as long as it goes in much of the time? However, she will need to learn to use her left hand.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you are looking at but here are the minute stats I have from the UConn site.
View attachment 52728

Thanks! Where did you find those? I poked around uconnhuskies.com stat page and found nothing before 2015-2016 season. Anyway that kind of shows roughly a 7 player rotation most of the time. I don't know how that is going to work when you have a team like the 2021-2022 team, especially if Fudd comes as well.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I will take that bet. She is not elite shooter in Mass Prep League which is poorest competition . She had major knee injury and can not create her own shot other shoot three pointers. She is ranked 40th. She is not
On any USAA Teams ever for her age groups.
They also have her as 5' 10" and she is now 6' 1' or 6' 2". They haven't updated her rankings in a couple of years because this is the first year she's played since injuring her ACL her Freshman year. The other rankings are up to date.

Reaction Score
ASGR has either updated their 2021 rankings or simply adjusted Ducharme's because they have her listed 13th now instead of 16th in a new tweet.
Is this the what’s regarded as the UCoNn bump from fellow BYs

Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet she will be in the Top 10 all time in 3 pt fg% when all is said and done.
So if she takes and makes 1 in her career she will have the highest percentage. Fools bet lol. Actually being a UConn fan, I hope you are correct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom