2021 Caroline Ducharme to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2021 Caroline Ducharme to UConn

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think Poffenbarger will play the 3.
Saylor and Caroline both can play 2, 3, or 4. Edwards and Liv each can play 4 or 5. Aubrey and Mir each can play 3 or 4. Paige can play 1 or 2. Anna can play 3 or 4. Nika is predominantly a 1 and Piath predominantly a 5.
What, I imagine, we are going to see next year, depending on freshmen individual development, is a lot of moving pieces.

One thought that may crystalize what we see. There is the distinct possiblity that we are going to see a 5'11" playing the 4 (Aubrey, Mir) and a 6'2" playing the 2 (Saylor or Caroline). Lot's of interesting possibilities in the future. I would hate to be an opposing coach and try to match up with the flexibility at Geno's command.

I can imagine that players will be encouraged to play in all out spurts for 3 or 4 minutes and then a cycle of substitutions. This will complicate on court chemistry to some degree, but these coaches can handle it. I am very excited to see what we have by January.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Saylor and Caroline both can play 2, 3, or 4. Edwards and Liv each can play 4 or 5. Aubrey and Mir each can play 3 or 4. Paige can play 1 or 2. Anna can play 3 or 4. Nika is predominantly a 1 and Piath predominantly a 5.
What, I imagine, we are going to see next year, depending on freshmen individual development, is a lot of moving pieces. I can imagine that players will be encouraged to play in all out spurts for 3 or 4 minutes and then a cycle of substitutions. This will complicate on court chemistry to some degree, but these coaches can handle it. I am very excited to see what we have by January.
Both Caroline and Saylor are the tallest players on their HS teams and play positions 1-5. That will not be the case when they get to college. Even in spurts if Caroline or Saylor play the 4 then UCONN is in real trouble considering the PF recruits that are included in the 20-22 classes (Piath, Aaliyah, DeBerry, Ice). Saylor will be in the mold of KLS or Ann Strother= big guards or SF at UCONN.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Both Caroline and Saylor are the tallest players on their HS teams and play positions 1-5. That will not be the case when they get to college. Even in spurts if Caroline or Saylor play the 4 then UCONN is in real trouble considering the PF recruits that are included in the 20-22 classes (Piath, Aaliyah, DeBerry, Ice). Saylor will be in the mold of KLS or Ann Strother= big guards or SF at UCONN.
Agree completely. I would prefer the two of them are locked in at 2/3. But the point I was making is that their skill set would allow them to play at the 4. Here's a question for you, actually 2 questions. Assuming best case scenarios; What lineups would you use if your focus was on a speed team, zone rebounding team? What 5 players would get the most minutes if you wanted to manufacture a 100 point game?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What, I imagine, we are going to see next year, depending on freshmen individual development, is a lot of moving pieces.

One thought that may crystalize what we see. There is the distinct possiblity that we are going to see a 5'11" playing the 4 (Aubrey, Mir) and a 6'2" playing the 2 (Saylor or Caroline). Lot's of interesting possibilities in the future. I would hate to be an opposing coach and try to match up with the flexibility at Geno's command.

I can imagine that players will be encouraged to play in all out spurts for 3 or 4 minutes and then a cycle of substitutions. This will complicate on court chemistry to some degree, but these coaches can handle it. I am very excited to see what we have by January.
I agree that there are lots of potential combinations with all the versatile players UConn will have in the coming years. However, I would point out that Aubrey is every bit of 6’1” and long, with great hops.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree completely. I would prefer the two of them are locked in at 2/3. But the point I was making is that their skill set would allow them to play at the 4. Here's a question for you, actually 2 questions. Assuming best case scenarios; What lineups would you use if your focus was on a speed team, zone rebounding team? What 5 players would get the most minutes if you wanted to manufacture a 100 point game?
I would have to disagree that either player has the skill set to play the 4 at UCONN especially consider the defensive side of the ball, specifically post defense. My speed team for next year would be ONO, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Paige, Nika. That team would be capable of switching everything on the perimeter & creating turnovers enabling easy baskets which is key if you want to get to 100 points. The following season I could see Saylor being a part of my speed line up because she brings two elite skills, the long distance outlet and the ability to hit the the trail transition three ball.

Reaction Score
SC will be really good but far from dominant. With the talent we have coming in the next few years, we will be close to unstoppable in my opinion.
You can only play 5 players at one time. You guys have a stockpile of talent that no one else has. It's truly remarkable how much talent you will have for the 2021s freshman season. However, how many of those players are going to stick? There aren't many Kiah Stokes out there (came off the bench for basically her whole career). These players want to play.

Reaction Score
Good players who practice hard and play defense will get minutes. So quickly we forget the teams of the early 2000s that were packed with talent. It can work. Plus players get hurt and if you have a deep bench, players can actually have the time to get healthy. I would argue KLS's and Danger's lingering issues were because the team couldn't afford for them to get 100% before putting them back out there. You really need 10-12 good players to win a NC so you can weather the challenges of a season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm glad you posted this. I was watching Strother, one of my favorite players, the other day and wondered if Saylor or Caroline are as good as Strother was at the same time in their careers. I used to love watching Strother play when she first got to UConn.

Reaction Score
You can only play 5 players at one time. You guys have a stockpile of talent that no one else has. It's truly remarkable how much talent you will have for the 2021s freshman season. However, how many of those players are going to stick? There aren't many Kiah Stokes out there (came off the bench for basically her whole career). These players want to play.
The team lost six players this year. That's more than half the team gone to graduation or leaving early. Geno is reloading. He understands the new world that we're in. A couple of transfers, a season ending injury, early departure for the pros, and all of a sudden you'll find yourself short players the way ND was this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good players who practice hard and play defense will get minutes. So quickly we forget the teams of the early 2000s that were packed with talent. It can work. Plus players get hurt and if you have a deep bench, players can actually have the time to get healthy. I would argue KLS's and Danger's lingering issues were because the team couldn't afford for them to get 100% before putting them back out there. You really need 10-12 good players to win a NC so you can weather the challenges of a season.
I agree with you 100%, especially about the injuries. I have zero concerns about playing time or how any of it will work out.

First, in our history, but even more recently, we've never had a top player (starter) transfer out due to PT. We've had some top kids leave for personal reasons (EDD, Samarie Walker), but the rest of the kids who left were all 2nd tier players at UCONN.

My point about that is IF any future kids decide to leave because of playing time, it will be a 2nd tier reserve type player. The ones who have the most issues, IMHO, are players who are NOT like Molly or Kyla. Those 2 kids were team players from their DNA on out, but more than that, knew coming in that they were likely never going to be starters. Other players in our history like that include Buck, Dixon, Fernandez, Gardler, Williams (Tahirah), Kerns, etc.

It's the kids who are ranked between 10 or so and 30 who feel they want to be a starter at UCONN (or a key reserve), and ultimately find out it will never happen, or just struggle their first few years to even get PT. Coombs, Gordon, Boykin, Ekmark, Banks, Michala Johnson all fall into that category. Then there are others, like Chong, who work their butts off, wait their time, and eventually become starters, or key reserves.

Second, while I do understand that the reality when players arrive is different from perceptions and expectations when in high school, I can not imagine a scenario where it's not discussed. Not only are all the recruits aware of the talent on the team and coming in, but also that they have had discussions with Geno regarding their role and what it will take to earn playing time. Geno is VERY clear about that in recruiting.

Finally, in general, Geno recruits kids who are team first players. IF you want to be a guaranteed starter and star from day 1 on a team, but have no shot at the final 4 or a NC, then go to any 2nd or 3rd tier program and be that superstar. You could have great stats and lead the nation in scoring, or other statistics (Kelsey Mitchell, Chennedy Carter, Aari McDonald, Rhyne Howard, etc). UCONN is all about the TEAM first. AND BTW I'm NOT saying those kids aren't team players. Just that their stats and roles at UCONN would be totally different.

But if you want to play with some of the best players in the nation for the unequivocal best program in the history of the game, be pushed to be your absolute best, and have the chance to win the NC every single year, there is no other program that can give you that. UCONN is not for everyone, but it is for great players who are also great teammates, hard workers, and just plain good people.

Reaction Score
It is not the early 2000s anymore sorry, its 2020 and the future. The culture surrounding these kids is instant gratification. You post something, you get hundreds to thousands of "likes." Your social media accounts all have a lot of followers, etc.

So quickly we forget because its irrelevant to the players of today. Look at the transfer portal. Getting the most and best talent you can is the best thing you can do. Geno realizes this, as Muffet just did this year. Get the ones you can, and expect transfers. Transferring is basically the culture in college sports. Not happy, move on.

I will say Geno does a great job of bringing in top ranked recruits with great timing. Where they either only have to be on the bench one year or they start right away. I think one year is the most top recruits will wait nowadays. Two years is too much.

Reaction Score
I agree with you 100%, especially about the injuries. I have zero concerns about playing time or how any of it will work out.

First, in our history, but even more recently, we've never had a top player (starter) transfer out due to PT. We've had some top kids leave for personal reasons (EDD, Samarie Walker), but the rest of the kids who left were all 2nd tier players at UCONN.

My point about that is IF any future kids decide to leave because of playing time, it will be a 2nd tier reserve type player. The ones who have the most issues, IMHO, are players who are NOT like Molly or Kyla. Those 2 kids were team players from their DNA on out, but more than that, knew coming in that they were likely never going to be starters. Other players in our history like that include Buck, Dixon, Fernandez, Gardler, Williams (Tahirah), Kerns, etc.

It's the kids who are ranked between 10 or so and 30 who feel they want to be a starter at UCONN (or a key reserve), and ultimately find out it will never happen, or just struggle their first few years to even get PT. Coombs, Gordon, Boykin, Ekmark, Banks, Michala Johnson all fall into that category. Then there are others, like Chong, who work their butts off, wait their time, and eventually become starters, or key reserves.

Second, while I do understand that the reality when players arrive is different from perceptions and expectations when in high school, I can not imagine a scenario where it's not discussed. Not only are all the recruits aware of the talent on the team and coming in, but also that they have had discussions with Geno regarding their role and what it will take to earn playing time. Geno is VERY clear about that in recruiting.

Finally, in general, Geno recruits kids who are team first players. IF you want to be a guaranteed starter and star from day 1 on a team, but have no shot at the final 4 or a NC, then go to any 2nd or 3rd tier program and be that superstar. You could have great stats and lead the nation in scoring, or other statistics (Kelsey Mitchell, Chennedy Carter, Aari McDonald, Rhyne Howard, etc). UCONN is all about the TEAM first. AND BTW I'm NOT saying those kids aren't team players. Just that their stats and roles at UCONN would be totally different.

But if you want to play with some of the best players in the nation for the unequivocal best program in the history of the game, be pushed to be your absolute best, and have the chance to win the NC every single year, there is no other program that can give you that. UCONN is not for everyone, but it is for great players who are also great teammates, hard workers, and just plain good people.

Serious question because I have never played an organized team sport. If a Uconn team has 10+ decent players, would we see a more balanced distribution of playing time with no more than 25min going to any top tier player? Probably not the quite same but I am thinking for example in the case of an advisor with 6 PhD students, they would likely get roughly equal time from the advisor? If that's not the case, I can see why people want transfer to get more playing time.

Reaction Score
The team lost six players this year. That's more than half the team gone to graduation or leaving early. Geno is reloading. He understands the new world that we're in. A couple of transfers, a season ending injury, early departure for the pros, and all of a sudden you'll find yourself short players the way ND was this year.
You lose 6 players. Dangerfield and Walker are huge losses as they were starters and leaders. Okay. After that you lose Bent and Irwin who were good team players. Then you lose Adebayo and Camara who were transfers who didnt really pan out.

Now you bring in 6 players when you include Westbrook. For the next class you bring in 3 confirmed players (probably 4 with Fudd). And you can potentially lose Westbrook. The 2022 isn't even finished. The faces for next season is a reload. Six leave and then six are available. The 2021 is not a reload

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Serious question because I have never played an organized team sport. If a Uconn team has 10+ decent players, would we see a more balanced distribution of playing time with no more than 25min going to any top tier player? Probably not the quite same but I am thinking for example in the case of an advisor with 6 PhD students, they would likely get roughly equal time from the advisor? If that's not the case, I can see why people want transfer to get more playing time.
This is JUST my opinion, but...

Geno has shown over the years he's been able to evolve. Whether recruiting kids at a younger age (he used to never recruit until their junior years), or adjusting coaching to the kids talents/styles, etc. Just recently - we saw how tough he was on Megan her freshman year. Her PT was limited because Geno decided, for whatever reason, not to play her. Fast forward to CW's freshman season. Geno was far less "hard" on her in my view and let her play thru more mistakes.

Then look at this season - Aubrey and Anna HAD to play lots of minutes. It felt like Geno was less hard on them for mistakes or getting them to play COMPLETE UCONN basketball - it seemed like he had them focusing more on working on things they were good at, especially Aubrey (rebound, play defense, get out on the break). On a deeper team, I don't think he's as generous with her.

BUT times are changing. It's just a matter of time before kids can transfer with no waiting period. If Geno gives no chances to freshmen until they "get" it, kids will leave in droves. He's already been quoted as saying something like "with all the talent we have coming in, we will need to find ways to get them PT".

I KNOW he will be hard on players, but he's shown to be masterful at figuring out how far to push, without pushing too far. I hope he hones that skill because once kids can leave at any time with no 1-year redshirt, anyone who is too frustrated their first year will jump ship. It's a very fine line, isn't it - be the coach he's always been, be hard on kids and push them to be the best version of themselves they can be, but don't frustrate them so badly that they lose all confidence and decide to leave.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You lose 6 players. Dangerfield and Walker are huge losses as they were starters and leaders. Okay. After that you lose Bent and Irwin who were good team players. Then you lose Adebayo and Camara who were transfers who didnt really pan out.

Now you bring in 6 players when you include Westbrook. For the next class you bring in 3 confirmed players (probably 4 with Fudd). And you can potentially lose Westbrook. The 2022 isn't even finished. The faces for next season is a reload. Six leave and then six are available. The 2021 is not a reload

This post is gibberish.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta agree with the PT and getting the kids minutes. I see it as coming in knowing whos here and who's verballed and working hard to earn PT. Geno will find them the time or he may end up like Muffet did this season with kids leaving. The problem this season and next is UConn has so much top talent they have to play. Now if the virus continues, then what. You cant pack an arena or stadium with a thousands of people and what if one player gets the virus does that mean you quarntine the entire team? We dont do that with the Flu.

Reaction Score
This is JUST my opinion, but...

Geno has shown over the years he's been able to evolve. Whether recruiting kids at a younger age (he used to never recruit until their junior years), or adjusting coaching to the kids talents/styles, etc. Just recently - we saw how tough he was on Megan her freshman year. Her PT was limited because Geno decided, for whatever reason, not to play her. Fast forward to CW's freshman season. Geno was far less "hard" on her in my view and let her play thru more mistakes.

Then look at this season - Aubrey and Anna HAD to play lots of minutes. It felt like Geno was less hard on them for mistakes or getting them to play COMPLETE UCONN basketball - it seemed like he had them focusing more on working on things they were good at, especially Aubrey (rebound, play defense, get out on the break). On a deeper team, I don't think he's as generous with her.

BUT times are changing. It's just a matter of time before kids can transfer with no waiting period. If Geno gives no chances to freshmen until they "get" it, kids will leave in droves. He's already been quoted as saying something like "with all the talent we have coming in, we will need to find ways to get them PT".

I KNOW he will be hard on players, but he's shown to be masterful at figuring out how far to push, without pushing too far. I hope he hones that skill because once kids can leave at any time with no 1-year redshirt, anyone who is too frustrated their first year will jump ship. It's a very fine line, isn't it - be the coach he's always been, be hard on kids and push them to be the best version of themselves they can be, but don't frustrate them so badly that they lose all confidence and decide to leave.

I think this past season with Aubrey and Anna playing a lot of minutes is out of necessity, not because he was less hard on them or anything.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm glad you posted this. I was watching Strother, one of my favorite players, the other day and wondered if Saylor or Caroline are as good as Strother was at the same time in their careers. I used to love watching Strother play when she first got to UConn.
Strother was #1 in her HS class. I believe she was the only HS #1 not to make WoH which some people ridiculously equate to a failed UCONN career. If either Saylor or Caroline could have a UCONN career equal to Strother that would be amazing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't read through all the posts, but why does ESPN HoopGurlz list Caroline at 5'10"? The papers who talked about her committing to UConn have her listed at 6'2".
All recruits are taller when they are coming to UConn. If she can be a team player like Molly Bent than she will be great. We are lucky that Dawn Staley does not recruit Mass Prep Schools just city of Worcester!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Strother was #1 in her HS class. I believe she was the only #1 not to make WoH which some people ridiculously equate to a failed UCONN career. If either Saylor or Caroline could have a UCONN career equal to Strother that would be amazing.

It would. Ann dealt with a ton of stuff during her 4 years at UConn. She was a two-time national champion and had a very good college career -- 1,699 points and 290 three-pointers in her career.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If you look at Geno's time as NT coach, the minutes on the team were quite well distributed between the top ten players in each competition. It was pretty clear who the starters were, but the substitutions were frequent and many - he tended to substitute a few players at a time so chemistry was maintained within the substitute pool as well as within the starters - that is always an issue, the more time spent with specific players in games the better chemistry is developed. The last two on the bench were often more 'emergency' players based on a specific game situation, and injury, foul trouble, or simply trying to 'blood' a younger player.

I think if you look back at the 1999-2002 period at Uconn you also see how Geno handles a loaded roster - no one was getting 30 minutes a game, but a lot of players were in the 15-22 minutes per game range. Jessica Moore in 2001-2 was getting 18 minutes a game playing behind Williams, Jones, and Cash, so she was ready for 2002-3 when they all graduated. Williams, and Jones had played significant minutes behind Shumacher in 2000 and 2001.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom