2021 Caroline Ducharme to UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2021 Caroline Ducharme to UConn

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks! Where did you find those? I poked around uconnhuskies.com stat page and found nothing before 2015-2016 season. Anyway that kind of shows roughly a 7 player rotation most of the time. I don't know how that is going to work when you have a team like the 2021-2022 team, especially if Fudd comes as well.
If you look at Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck's freshman year, when the team was fairly young and supremely talented with Doty/Faris/Buck as Seniors and only Dolson/Hartley as Juniors with KML and Stokes as Soph. Geno found time for the talent to play and that team had 4 losses so they did develop nicely.

Here's the link for the archives:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If she’s better than KML, AND she comes here, I’ll be thrilled. K has the sweetest touch I’ve ever seen. Always shocked when it didn’t go in.
KML and EDD are probably the best collegiate shooters I've seen. Azzi has her mom's shot. Katie was a star at N.C. State and Georgetown and is in the Virginia Hall of Fame for her high school career. Azzi's shot is different from Kaleena's but perhaps more classic, simpler, and repeated. Kaleena missed being a 50/40/90 shooter by 1 free throw in each of her sophomore and senior seasons. I think Azzi can be a 50/40/90 shooter. As I posted recently, 60/50/90 may be within her reach. Who's a better shooter than Azzi? Steph Curry. Maybe.

With regard to Caroline Ducharme, she appears to be a good shooter and certainly has range. I don't think she's better than Kaleena, who, in my opinion, was the greatest 3-point shooter of all time on the women's side, when volume and accuracy are combined. But let's look at the UConn top-10 for their careers: 1. Sue Bird (.459); 2. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (.447); 3. Wendy Davis (.439); 4. Kia Nurse (.428); 5. Moriah Jefferson (.420); 6. Katie Lou Samuelson (.415). [Who knew that Kia finished ahead of Lou?] I think Caroline can be in that group.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
KML and EDD are probably the best collegiate shooters I've seen. Azzi has her mom's shot. Katie was a star at N.C. State and Georgetown and is in the Virginia Hall of Fame for her high school career. Azzi's shot is different from Kaleena's but perhaps more classic, simpler, and repeated. Kaleena missed being a 50/40/90 shooter by 1 free throw in each of her sophomore and senior seasons. I think Azzi can be a 50/40/90 shooter. As I posted recently, 60/50/90 may be within her reach. Who's a better shooter than Azzi? Steph Curry. Maybe.

With regard to Caroline Ducharme, she appears to be a good shooter and certainly has range. I don't think she's better than Kaleena, who, in my opinion, was the greatest 3-point shooter of all time on the women's side, when volume and accuracy are combined. But let's look at the UConn top-10 for their careers: 1. Sue Bird (.459); 2. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (.447); 3. Wendy Davis (.439); 4. Kia Nurse (.428); 5. Moriah Jefferson (.420); 6. Katie Lou Samuelson (.415). [Who knew that Kia finished ahead of Lou?] I think Caroline can be in that group.
3-point shooting percentage is largely dependent on how 'open' you are. If you are surrounded by other scorers, you have a much better chance to get that 'open look' à la SB & KML, eh?
Caroline will be in that same situation, i.e. surrounded by other scorers which bodes well for her.
But don't pigeonhole her. She has a mechanically-sound pull-up jumper [something that MW lacked] and, at 6'2", can score around the basket. To me, she looks like a steal from under the radar!

Reaction Score
KML is easily the best outside shooter I've seen. Not very fast, but her quick release & footwork made her a machine around the 3-point line. Close to a career 45% 3Point shooter is very, very impressive considering the volume of shots. Also, she was clutch. If Ducharme comes close to her from the outside, we're set. Plus, looks like she has a more complete game - not just a spot shooter.

Reaction Score
KML is easily the best outside shooter I've seen. Not very fast, but her quick release & footwork made her a machine around the 3-point line. Close to a career 45% 3Point shooter is very, very impressive considering the volume of shots. Also, she was clutch. If Ducharme comes close to her from the outside, we're set. Plus, looks like she has a more complete game - not just a spot shooter.
And from the videos I saw, she has deep range .. SC range .. I wonder if GA will allow her to shoot from that far out?

Reaction Score
Agree with Milford Husky's and Boston's comments about a repeatable shot. KML is one of the best examples-everything about her was relaxed and the same every time-footwork, arm position, follow through. Ducharme's shot has a bit more moving parts but seems to work well at all distances. If Azzi can keep her form under pressure, she will likely be spoken of in the same terms.

Reaction Score
I agree from the clip above, Caroline Ducharme needs a left hand, keep the left elbow down when going to the hole, and lose the scoop layup. Maya = underhand finger roll.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Caroline Ducharme! Wow have we got the CD's. If Caroline makes AA we'll have to change it to CDIV

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey I dont care to compare her to anybody, she is who she is. As far as quality opponents. She played for Exodus and from Im told shes solid. Exodus is one of the top AAU programs for girls. Lastly Geno wants her and if Geno wants her shes got what he's looking for. Her high ranking has alot to do with injuries and dont forget we have players coming from Europe and Canada who arent ranked and ranked to high based on what? We dont know and perhaps those that rank them havent seen them. Geno has and thats all that matters. Shes 6'2 and can shoot from deep. Bingo

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hey I dont care to compare her to anybody, she is who she is. As far as quality opponents. She played for Exodus and from Im told shes solid. Exodus is one of the top AAU programs for girls. Lastly Geno wants her and if Geno wants her shes got what he's looking for. Her high ranking has alot to do with injuries and dont forget we have players coming from Europe and Canada who arent ranked and ranked to high based on what? We dont know and perhaps those that rank them havent seen them. Geno has and thats all that matters. Shes 6'2 and can shoot from deep. Bingo

and lots of intangibles as well.

Reaction Score
Serious question because I have never played an organized team sport. If a Uconn team has 10+ decent players, would we see a more balanced distribution of playing time with no more than 25min going to any top tier player? Probably not the quite same but I am thinking for example in the case of an advisor with 6 PhD students, they would likely get roughly equal time from the advisor? If that's not the case, I can see why people want transfer to get more playing time.

If there is a big discrepancy in talent between the starters and the bench, the only way play the bench near as much would be for 3 reasons:

1-- Some of your stars have injury issues such as 2 of my favorites Shea Ralph and Tamika Wiiliams. You don't want to stretch that type of player.

2a-- Many blowouts and games are decided around halftime.

2b- Relating to 2a-- You know your bench is tremendous even by taking out your super starters your bench is just as good as the top teams in the country.

The reason why bench gets minutes is as you've pointed out sometimes it is just necessity too.

But think of this-- you are recruiting Paige and Azzi-- suppose they live up to the hype? Wouldn't it help teh other players to learn how to play with them? And by keeping them on the court, wouldn't it help teh coaches to see who plays best with the 2 stars under different circumstances form game to game?

Because if you get that inevitable close game-- rather than assume you could "wear down 19-23 year old kids with a bench", in a different way you working towards a unit that will work best with the 2 superstars (and who knows maybe there is another etc -- or 2 others).

A final point to consider-- if you are a superstar guard / fluid-forward and you are healthy and if you averaging under 25 minutes a game - you might not be too happy. As a result, future similar style recruits might stop coming to your school because "they want to play." OFC bigs though it's different.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
tony. yoy know some folks always see a newer thing as better and more glittery and decide "let's have that one instead." greedy. never satisfied. impatient.
they'll never change. i'm with you in trusting the uconn braintrust

Reaction Score
Comparisons are useful, just as metaphors are .. to say that Caroline is more like KLS rather than Kiah Stokes or MoJeff is useful information, eh?

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Serious question because I have never played an organized team sport. If a Uconn team has 10+ decent players, would we see a more balanced distribution of playing time with no more than 25min going to any top tier player? Probably not the quite same but I am thinking for example in the case of an advisor with 6 PhD students, they would likely get roughly equal time from the advisor? If that's not the case, I can see why people want transfer to get more playing time.
i would say that geno has some experience with 10 decent players
that's the 2000 roster

Reaction Score

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
again, serious question, so who are the 8th-10th that would consider transferring for more playing time in today's environment.
Well Kennitra did transfer to Purdue and then S. Illinois after 2 years and Kiersten has a serious injury that prevented her from playing again How about Marci? she was a walk on or Christine.

Of course I cheated. They weren't 8,- 10 more like 11-13. 8 - 10 no one transfers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Help!!! Does anyone know how Caroline pronounces her last name? If you know, spell it phonetically please.
Thanks.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Comparisons are useful, just as metaphors are .. to say that Caroline is more like KLS rather than Kiah Stokes or MoJeff is useful information, eh?
How is stating the obvious helpful? The KLS comparison works. Tall guard with 3-pt range. The other two? DuCharme, in my opinion, at this point in her basketball life, has a better all around game than did KLS at the same point in her development except possiblly for 3-pt % and being at least one inch shorter. But since high school 3-pt stats are hard to locate; we won't definitively know. So I can question your opinion but I can't say your opinion is wrong. So compare away and don't worry about what is said because it is just their opinion. However, as you and I both know; only our opinions are correct! Even when they are diametrically opposed! ;):rolleyes::D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How is stating the obvious helpful? The KLS comparison works. Tall guard with 3-pt range. The other two? DuCharme, in my opinion, at this point in her basketball life, has a better all around game than did KLS at the same point in her development except possiblly for 3-pt % and being at least one inch shorter. But since high school 3-pt stats are hard to locate; we won't definitively know. So I can question your opinion but I can't say your opinion is wrong. So compare away and don't worry about what is said because it is just their opinion. However, as you and I both know; only our opinions are correct! Even when they are diametrically opposed! ;):rolleyes::D
I agree with you that the comparison between Caroline and Lou is appropriate. But I have to disagree on her game being better. Lou played against far superior competition in CA than Caroline does in MA. She was the CA POY as a junior, as well as a senior.

At this point in her career Lou had already made several USA basketball teams, winning the U-16 Americas, U-17 World Championship & the national 3x3 championship. In addition, Lou was more accomplished with her left hand and, at 6’3”, was one of the best passers I’ve ever seen in HS.

Reaction Score
I agree with you that the comparison between Caroline and Lou is appropriate. But I have to disagree on her game being better. Lou played against far superior competition in CA than Caroline does in MA. She was the CA POY as a junior, as well as a senior.

At this point in her career Lou had already made several USA basketball teams, winning the U-16 Americas, U-17 World Championship & the national 3x3 championship. In addition, Lou was more accomplished with her left hand and, at 6’3”, was one of the best passers I’ve ever seen in HS.
One can do all these minor comparisons. Yes Lou is about an inch taller and was on a more high profile team, healthier, good passer for highschool, and deadly at the 3 pt line when she was set in high school. She had great experience on national teams.

And playing devil's advocate Caroline is about an inch shorter and is on a private school team in MA, had injuries that took her out of national team contention so its an unknown, largely has an all around game including good passing playing PG and playing in the post in addition to a faster shot off 3pt wing. She can create her own shot at 3pt line or fast break to the hoop which KLS still can't really do.

In summation, a good debater could argue both sides..... there are a lot of similarities but they are individuals and not clones.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I agree with you that the comparison between Caroline and Lou is appropriate. But I have to disagree on her game being better. Lou played against far superior competition in CA than Caroline does in MA. This point is nullified by all of the pros in all of the HOFs who came from small colleges and so-called inferior competition. However, she played for theNew York City Exodus in Nike’s Elite Youth Basketball League, regarded as the top competition for up and coming prospects. Poffenbarger played against DuCharme among others in this league. Saylor Poffenbarge on commit Caroline Ducharme: "She's versatile and really competitive. She won't back down. I've played against her (in AAU). She's always moving, always thinking, always ready for the next thing. I'm so excited that I'll be playing with her"

She was the CA POY as a junior, as well as a senior. At this point in her career Lou had already made several USA basketball teams, winning the U-16 Americas, U-17 World Championship & the national 3x3 championship. I grant you her Mater Dei High School's PR was outstanding. Basketball writers tend to go to big time schools and I doubt if they have seen enough games to rank more than 25 girls. Geno has said as much. and more as in his opinion is more important. KLS' PR machine is not doing as well in the WNBA where results matter (See Collier and Nurse and all the people who down played their skills and contributions relative to KLS), Not you!

In addition, Lou was more accomplished with her left hand and, at 6’3”, was one of the best passers I’ve ever seen in HS. I don't know about the passing part. At the 3-pt. line where she parked, she was like a Kevin McHale, a black hole. Admittedly DuCharme's left hand is a concern but I believe KLS' left hand was developed at UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom