2021-22 Non-UConn WBB News | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2021-22 Non-UConn WBB News

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
You're right, but I'm not sure she's at the developmental level she needs to be. I think she's gotten better and would've benefited from being the focal point of the front court next season with Na'Lyssa Smith moving on. Now, she's jumping in. While you rightly bringing up other top centers coming out in '23 (don't forget Czinano), I'm just wondering if Egbo can jump some 5--6 year vet who knows the ropes for a WNBA roster spot. A lot of these "gray" area players could benefit from another two teams being added to the WNBA. In the meantime, tough market....
No offense to Czinano, but Gustafson was a much better player for Iowa and she's barely clinging on in the W.

I just don't see her making a roster.

Reaction Score
No offense to Czinano, but Gustafson was a much better player for Iowa and she's barely clinging on in the W.

I just don't see her making a roster.
Maybe not a WNBA roster. Overseas is a possibility I think, but not sure if it would be the upper tier European teams.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Maybe not a WNBA roster. Overseas is a possibility I think, but not sure if it would be the upper tier European teams.
Czinano definitely has the talent to play in Europe. And in Gustafson's defense, she's been using her time in Europe to expand her game further and further from the basket. But Ekat won't be calling either of them any time soon.

(Ekat may not be calling anyone anytime soon, but y'all know what I mean...)

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, Egbo had nowhere near the college career as Kalani Brown or Lauren Cox, and both of them have been struggling to find a place in the W, so I'm guessing this won't work out well.

Reaction Score
Well, Egbo had nowhere near the college career as Kalani Brown or Lauren Cox, and both of them have been struggling to find a place in the W, so I'm guessing this won't work out well.
Egbo is very talented, athletic and is very capable. Unfortunately she is not consistent against top tier competition. She fouls way too much and she is erratic scoring at times (missed layups and shots near the rim). Smith on the other hand has shown she can sustain it and put up elite numbers against the best of the best.

But there are a lot of college players who are GREAT basketball players that don't make it in the WNBA. Still opportunities in Europe and other places if they want to continue playing at the next level.

Reaction Score
I think Kitley is another one for '23 and she already has a nice outside shot. These days 6'3" is small for a post in the WNBA unless you bring a LOT of game with you. They are more likely to take someone like ONO and work to develop her than a 6"3" post.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I saw on Facebook 88 players have entered their name for the draft. Probably only about 1/4 of them have a chance of getting a roster spot, if that many.

Reaction Score
One of those is Maya Dodson. She will not be returning to Notre Dame.
A number of teams like Seattle, won't have any rookies on their roster.
They probably are one of a number of teams who will only have 11 on their roster.
The hard salary cap gets eaten up quickly when you have multiple max contracts.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
One of those is Maya Dodson. She will not be returning to Notre Dame.
Did she have the option of returning? I can't keep track anymore. I thought for sure Gylten from Utah was out of eligibility, but I was wrong about that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
good for South Dakota putting that out - get some buzz going for your star

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Did she have the option of returning? I can't keep track anymore. I thought for sure Gylten from Utah was out of eligibility, but I was wrong about that.
I think so. Players who were in school during the COVID season (2020-21) get an extra season of eligibility and an extra year to use it, right? I don't think 2020-21 has to be one of the seasons played to get the extra.

Dodson played 3 seasons at Stanford*, sat out 2020-21, and played 2021-22 for ND, so if I was correct above, she has one season of eligibility left and one year (2022-23) to use it.

*Parts of three seasons, that is. She missed a lot with injury but not enough to get a redshirt, iirc.

Reaction Score
Not sure but...
I assume her request for an additional year was denied. If going directly into the WNBA draft was her first choice, why file a petition for an extra year at ND ?

Reaction Score
Not sure but...
I assume her request for an additional year was denied. If going directly into the WNBA draft was her first choice, why file a petition for an extra year at ND ?
Further clarification: Evidently, Dodson would still have the option to return to ND if her petition is approved.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think so. Players who were in school during the COVID season (2020-21) get an extra season of eligibility and an extra year to use it, right? I don't think 2020-21 has to be one of the seasons played to get the extra.

Dodson played 3 seasons at Stanford*, sat out 2020-21, and played 2021-22 for ND, so if I was correct above, she has one season of eligibility left and one year (2022-23) to use it.

*Parts of three seasons, that is. She missed a lot with injury but not enough to get a redshirt, iirc.
The NCAA extra year announcement was specific to the 2020-21 season - designed to keep players playing that fall when no one was sure if it would be a full year. The idea that it applies to players who didn't play that year is something some fans came up with and has never been confirmed by anyone with 'standing.'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom