2020 US Open | The Boneyard

2020 US Open

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Great course - should be fun. Who you thinking? Dustin's been playing great but hard to lead 4 tournaments in a row after 72 holes. Brooks not teeing it up for this one, so that takes my usual pick off the board. I'll go with Justin Thomas. Long shot - Lowry (+8000).

Dustin Johnson +850
Jon Rahm +1000
Justin Thomas +1400
Xander Schauffele +1400
Rory McIlroy +1600
Collin Morikawa +1800
Patrick Cantlay +2700
Bryson DeChambeau +2800
Webb Simpson +2800
Daniel Berger +3000
Tommy Fleetwood +3300
Hideki Matsuyama +3500
Tony Finau +3500
Patrick Reed +3600
Adam Scott +4000
Jason Day +4000
Tyrrell Hatton +4500
Matthew Fitzpatrick +4800
Tiger Woods +4800
Justin Rose +5000
Paul Casey +5000
Ricky Fowler +6500
Phil Mickelson +8500
Jordan Spieth +9500
Sergio Garcia +11000

Reaction Score
Morikawa should be a favorite at every major he tees it at. Guy is a ball striking machine.
I kinda like Pat Reed - hits a draw (more right to left holes than the other direction) and he can chip and putt better than most.
I picked Rahm in my one and done.

Wonder what the prop bets are, especially for Spieth. Can he break 158 Thurs/Fri?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My wagers so far are:
Todd over Spieth
Hatton over Tiger
Todd top 20
Chez top 20

I took Matthew Fitzpatrick in my one and done pool (currently in 23rd/1500). Shout out to Gups Corner 1AD!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is the course playing easy or is Thomas on fire.?..-4 already!

Reaction Score
Is the course playing easy or is Thomas on fire.?..-4 already!

Course is playing easier than last time there. And they won't get much weather so there won't be a +5 Oglivie winner this time around.

Reaction Score
Course is playing easier than last time there. And they won't get much weather so there won't be a +5 Oglivie winner this time around.
Kind of takes the fun out of it for me when the winner could be -15. The talking point of how hard this course is seems flippant when there will be numerous players well under par on day one alone

Reaction Score
Kind of takes the fun out of it for me when the winner could be -15. The talking point of how hard this course is seems flippant when there will be numerous players well under par on day one alone
Winning score will not be close to -15. Setup today was as easy as you will see it. I would take -5 for the WEEK and run.....you’ll win going away.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Greens will be faster tomorrow and I bet they go for tougher pins as well. I think 15 under is not realistic, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 8 or 9 under for the winner on Sunday. But there's not much they can do about soft conditions this time of year. Winds should be worse tomorrow and the weekend, but not punishingly so.

21 players under par today. Tomorrow it will be half that. Yes only 10.5 players under par.

Reaction Score
Reduced the field and placed the pins to get the golf in this time of year. Humidity and overcast skies kept the greens soft with very little watering. Curious to see how things are set up for today with maybe allowing for a second round finish on Saturday because of the reduced field for third round.

Reaction Score
Greens will be faster tomorrow and I bet they go for tougher pins as well. I think 15 under is not realistic, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 8 or 9 under for the winner on Sunday. But there's not much they can do about soft conditions this time of year. Winds should be worse tomorrow and the weekend, but not punishingly so.

21 players under par today. Tomorrow it will be half that. Yes only 10.5 players under par.
I will definitely take the under for a friendly wager

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Playing catch up on everything here.

Good calls on Thomas and Reed.

Leaderboard looking good for golf fans with Thomas, Reed, McIlroy all at the top and enough other top flight players sprinkled in.

Agree course is only going to get tougher. It's going to be like a python. It doesn't waste its energy compressing you. It waits til you exhale and then squeezes tighter. Winged Foot same way. Let your guard down for 2-3 holes and it takes the rest of the round to try and get back to where you were.

I'll take -5 for a winning score. Really think Saturday will be the massacre and Sunday will be leaders holding on. I'll predict the overall winner shoots -2 on weekend.

Reaction Score
Playing catch up on everything here.

Good calls on Thomas and Reed.

Leaderboard looking good for golf fans with Thomas, Reed, McIlroy all at the top and enough other top flight players sprinkled in.

Agree course is only going to get tougher. It's going to be like a python. It doesn't waste its energy compressing you. It waits til you exhale and then squeezes tighter. Winged Foot same way. Let your guard down for 2-3 holes and it takes the rest of the round to try and get back to where you were.

I'll take -5 for a winning score. Really think Saturday will be the massacre and Sunday will be leaders holding on. I'll predict the overall winner shoots -2 on weekend.
Hope you’re correct about playing harder on the weekend. I’d prefer + or par for the leaders on the weekend. If today plays like yesterday you’ll have the leaders at -8 or better. I actually turned it off yesterday.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hope you’re correct about playing harder on the weekend. I’d prefer + or par for the leaders on the weekend. If today plays like yesterday you’ll have the leaders at -8 or better. I actually turned it off yesterday.

It's certainly picked up the pace this morning and afternoon is only getting harder. Bubba making huge move today. His game usually doesn't translate well to US Open courses, but his shot shaping, size and strength don't hurt playing out of rough and being creative around the greens.

Heard a wild bar bet stat this morning. Yesterday, Louis Oosthuizen passed Jack for all time rounds in US Open history of 67 or better. Even more unbelievable than that, I actually spelled Louis' first name correctly before I looked it up to check.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One more thing, as I'm going stream of consciousness. I remember hearing announcers talking about how well Reed was chipping and grinding out pars with 10' putts at Tour Championship. I heard that little nugget and was curious how well he could carry that over to Winged Foot. So far, so good.

Reaction Score
It's certainly picked up the pace this morning and afternoon is only getting harder. Bubba making huge move today. His game usually doesn't translate well to US Open courses, but his shot shaping, size and strength don't hurt playing out of rough and being creative around the greens.

Heard a wild bar bet stat this morning. Yesterday, Louis Oosthuizen passed Jack for all time rounds in US Open history of 67 or better. Even more unbelievable than that, I actually spelled Louis' first name correctly before I looked it up to check.
Scoring is much changed from yesterday....Xander said his caddie told him there was an article where the super said he was not happy with the scores Thursday. Guess they set the course a bit harder today

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Scoring is much changed from yesterday....Xander said his caddie told him there was an article where the super said he was not happy with the scores Thursday. Guess they set the course a bit harder today

Heard on the radio there is a theory that course was set up easy to make sure players could all finish rounds on Thursday and not have to finish Friday morning. They knew they'd have three days to get scoring where they wanted it to finish up on Sunday night.

Reaction Score
As a casual golpher it’s amazing to me how one day has totally changed the scoring. No one is claiming the pins are in unreachable places. It’s curious how many guys are missing the fairways today. Is the wind that rough or are they overthinking it?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As a casual golpher it’s amazing to me how one day has totally changed the scoring. No one is claiming the pins are in unreachable places. It’s curious how many guys are missing the fairways today. Is the wind that rough or are they overthinking it?

They're goal is distance not accuracy.

It's a field of 144. I guarantee you 125 of those 144 could hit every fairway if that was their goal.

Reaction Score

It's a field of 144. I guarantee you 125 of those 144 could hit every fairway if that was their goal.
I'm not a professional golfer, but isn't it both? Which is why the sport is so hard. Yes, they could hit the fairways every time without distance. But on the converse there are long hitting contests but none of those guys are on the PGA Tour.

Reaction Score

They get into so much trouble in the rough. And why no issues yesterday? Greens were softer so helps approach but that shouldn’t impact getting off the tee

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom