2020 Starting 5 & Bench | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2020 Starting 5 & Bench

Reaction Score
If Martin sits, I don’t think you can redshirt Javonte. If both Martin + Javonte sit and Polley + Akok are returning from serious injury that leaves us with 9 healthy guys. That’s not going to cut it in the Big East and with our injury history.
I don't disagree, just wanted to make sure people understand that unless the NCAA changes the rules, or grants waivers, he has to sit next year.

Reaction Score
I've been going through all the possibilities and it is really hard to find many minutes for Carlton

Reaction Score
Yea I'm sorry this team is going to be insane. We have so much flexibility now lineup wise. You know how we were a good second half team last year? Ya imagine with these horses just absolutely running teams into the ground for 40 minutes. There are just so many choices, but here is my guess what the lineup will be next March, when we are a 3 seed in the NCAAs that absolutely no one wants to play.

STARTERS

PG RJ Cole 30 mpg 15ppg, 7 assists

Comment: People do not understand how good this kid is offensively. He's basically going to be what if Marcus Williams were a smaller but also a better scorer and in shape. He wont score as much as he needed to at Howard but he's going to be super efficient and just.. I'm so excited I love lefty PGs.

I'm unfamiliar with him and don't trust the highlights, is he also a distributor? I liked Gaffney starting for that particular reason. However if Cole has assists in his package, then he would be awesome fit.

Just saying, I would prefer a low key, point guard willing to distribute first, but still have the offensive arsenal. Gaffney to me would be a better version of Taliek, in that he seems to be fine giving others shine, but posing a more offensive threat. Either way leadership and running this team will be paramount, so the PG will need to be trusted and respected.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would not surprise me to see Carlton on the bench, but I think Hurley gives him the nod as the stater and more minutes to others
Agree. I do think that Josh will have a better year this year though. The extra weight really seemed to hamper him.

Reaction Score
I'm unfamiliar with him and don't trust the highlights, is he also a distributor? I liked Gaffney starting for that particular reason. However if Cole has assists in his package, then he would be awesome fit.

Just saying, I would prefer a low key, point guard willing to distribute first, but still have the offensive arsenal. Gaffney to me would be a better version of Taliek, in that he seems to be fine giving others shine, but posing a more offensive threat. Either way leadership and running this team will be paramount, so the PG will need to be trusted and respected.
Cole hasn't played one minute for the team and he already has the biggest assist in years (Sanogo). You've got to like his resolve.

Reaction Score

Cole averaged at least 6apg in his first two years with subpar talent AT BEST around him. Once this dude is surrounded by high level players watch out. He will distribute and will take advantage with the increased spacing.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
BA has matured nicely since he's been here. I'd feel very comfortable starting the season with him in the starting lineup (obviously not at point). He seems to get overlooked and under-mentioned.

Reaction Score
This is how the lineup should look

PG: Cole, Gaff
SG: Bouk, Adams
SF: Jackson, Martin
PF: Polley, Springs, Akok
C: Whaley, Sanogo, Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson

Polley is gonna play the 4

I think Akok may play some at the 5. Hopefully he can get stronger.

I expect Javonte Brown Ferguson to redshirt unless he is better than Carlton.

Im not sure how to break down the PF and C positions since we can either go big or small. I’d put Springs at the 4 since he has a nice stroke and can shoot.

Gaff could be a starter. Him and Cole will split time.

Bouk should be getting 30 mins, (hopefully he fixes that fouling problem)

Adams will play some time at the 3 with Polley if Martin isn’t eligible.

With Springs, Sanogo, Whaley, and Javonte Brown Ferguson no one should get an offensive rebound.

On that note we need Polley to me more effective on the glass. Polley should be able to get open looks off of screens matched up with a PF.

Bouk and Jackson together will be deadly because they can just blow past their man. You can’t guard both at the same time.

Reaction Score
This is how the lineup should look

PG: Cole, Gaff
SG: Bouk, Adams
SF: Jackson, Martin
PF: Polley, Springs, Akok
C: Whaley, Sanogo, Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson

Polley is gonna play the 4

I think Akok may play some at the 5. Hopefully he can get stronger.

I expect Javonte Brown Ferguson to redshirt unless he is better than Carlton.

Im not sure how to break down the PF and C positions since we can either go big or small. I’d put Springs at the 4 since he has a nice stroke and can shoot.

Gaff could be a starter. Him and Cole will split time.

Bouk should be getting 30 mins, (hopefully he fixes that fouling problem)

Adams will play some time at the 3 with Polley if Martin isn’t eligible.

With Springs, Sanogo, Whaley, and Javonte Brown Ferguson no one should get an offensive rebound.

On that note we need Polley to me more effective on the glass. Polley should be able to get open looks off of screens matched up with a PF.

Bouk and Jackson together will be deadly because they can just blow past their man. You can’t guard both at the same time.

You favor a Polley/Whaley front court over a Whaley/Sanogo front court?

Reaction Score
You favor a Polley/Whaley front court over a Whaley/Sanogo front court?
This is only if Martin can play this year. If Martin has to sit Polley plays the 3. But I don’t like a Whaley Sanogo front court because you don’t have much midrange potential. Sure you got poppers but Polley and Springs are much better shooters so I feel it spreads the floor the best. Also I doubt Sanogo, even though a beast, starts day 1 as a young freshman.

Reaction Score
My belief is that Martin & Javonte Brown Ferguson will redshirt. I am curious, can Javonte Brown Ferguson declare as a redshirt following the season depending on his usage? Less than 25% of games played used to allow a player to redshirt. This way he can be used on an as need basis or in case of emergency.

Starting 5: Cole, Bouk, Polley, Whaley, Sanogo

My projected minutes breakdown:

1: Cole 25, Gaff 15
2: Bouk 25, BAdams 10, Gaff 5
3: Polley 10, Jackson 15, Adams 10
4: Whaley 15, Polley 10, Sanogo 5, Jackson 5, Springs 5
5: Sanogo 15, Carlton 15, Whaley 5, Springs 5

If Akok returns he takes minutes from Polley, Carlton and Springs and plays 10-15 mpg in my mind to ease back in.

Early on I think Hurley will mess around with a ton of different lineups in buy games to see what works. There's a ton of flexibility 3-5.

Reaction Score
My belief is that Martin & Javonte Brown Ferguson will redshirt. I am curious, can Javonte Brown Ferguson declare as a redshirt following the season depending on his usage? Less than 25% of games played used to allow a player to redshirt. This way he can be used on an as need basis or in case of emergency.

Starting 5: Cole, Bouk, Polley, Whaley, Sanogo

My projected minutes breakdown:

1: Cole 25, Gaff 15
2: Bouk 25, BAdams 10, Gaff 5
3: Polley 10, Jackson 15, Adams 10
4: Whaley 15, Polley 10, Sanogo 5, Jackson 5, Springs 5
5: Sanogo 15, Carlton 15, Whaley 5, Springs 5

If Akok returns he takes minutes from Polley, Carlton and Springs and plays 10-15 mpg in my mind to ease back in.

Early on I think Hurley will mess around with a ton of different lineups in bye games to see what works. There's a ton of flexibility 3-5.
Yes and no on Javonte Brown Ferguson resdshirting. You don't have to declare anything before the season, but once he plays a minute he burns that year of eligibility. The 25% rule was for football only I believe

Reaction Score
Great thread but I'm a little disappointed that there's so many disagreements but no one is calling anyone an idiot.
I'm hoping that by the end of the regular season our starting lineup is RJ, Bouk, Jackson, Whaley, and Sanogo. It would mean Whaley has added to his offensive game and Jackson is a advertised. This starting five has the potential to be devastating. I'm assuming even if Akok comes back his minutes will be limited.

Reaction Score
This is only if Martin can play this year. If Martin has to sit Polley plays the 3. But I don’t like a Whaley Sanogo front court because you don’t have much midrange potential. Sure you got poppers but Polley and Springs are much better shooters so I feel it spreads the floor the best. Also I doubt Sanogo, even though a beast, starts day 1 as a young freshman.

I just can’t think of a justification for anyone starting Polley? He will have a role but I’d think Jackson is a lock at the 3 and Whaley is a lock at the 4.

For all those saying Hurley likes senior leadership starting over freshman: he never pulled in this type of talent at URI. Akok started at the 4 as a freshman simply because he was the best 4 on the team. Jackson is the best 3 on the team. Sanogo will be a head and shoulders above the rest at the 5. They’re not going to not start just because there’s upperclassmen that also play their position.

Reaction Score
Great thread but I'm a little disappointed that there's so many disagreements but no one is calling anyone an idiot.
I'm hoping that by the end of the regular season our starting lineup is RJ, Bouk, Jackson, Whaley, and Sanogo. It would mean Whaley has added to his offensive game and Jackson is a advertised. This starting five has the potential to be devastating. I'm assuming even if Akok comes back his minutes will be limited.

To me this is the obvious lineup, but none of us are the coaches. Hurley will put the best lineup out there.

Reaction Score
You're an idiot.

Reaction Score
I think Akok is redshirting next season. That was a brutal injury and there is no reason to race back.
While I would red shirt if I was Martin, I have no insight into his thought process or if playing is even an option.
Based on reports, redshirting would be a smart move for Ferguson, but who knows?
akok isn't a 5 year player so redshirting serves no purpose. if he can play 5-10 mpg come march then great.
the only player with more than a 1% chance of voluntarily redshirting is Brown, and that's assuming Martin gets a waiver.
if Martin has to sit out, we'll only have 10 healthy guys heading into the season, including Brown.
at that point, we're 1 sprained ankle in the frontcourt away from Brown actually needing to contribute

Reaction Score
For all those saying Hurley likes senior leadership starting over freshman: he never pulled in this type of talent at URI. Akok started at the 4 as a freshman simply because he was the best 4 on the team. Jackson is the best 3 on the team. Sanogo will be a head and shoulders above the rest at the 5. They’re not going to not start just because there’s upperclassmen that also play their position.

If anyone is saying that first thing, then they aren’t paying attention to how he managed rosters at Wagner or URI. It also isn’t necessarily all about having a different level of talent at UConn, as you claim, either. It has to do with relevant talent on the roster. When he took over those other programs and increased the talent level, younger guys absolutely displaced upperclassmen as starters (Rivers for Martin, Garrett for Minnis before Dowtin then replaced Garrett, Matthews for Reischel, just for some examples... I like reminiscing, what can I say?). He’s also not going to throw a young guy out there before he’s ready just because some fans think it’s the right thing to do. Team and individual development are complementary. The team’s been Hurley’s for quite a while, from a mental perspective, but having personally recruited 10 of the 13 makes all these line-up and rotation decisions even easier to implement. The guys have bought in, they trust the process. I personally think Jackson goes the Terrell route and starts right away. I hope we get a full slate of OOC games to inform the decision making.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If anyone is saying that first thing, then they aren’t paying attention to how he managed rosters at Wagner or URI. It also isn’t necessarily all about having a different level of talent at UConn, as you claim, either. It has to do with relevant talent on the roster. When he took over those other programs and increased the talent level, younger guys absolutely displaced upperclassmen as starters. He’s also not going to throw a young guy out there before he’s ready just because some fans think it’s the right thing to do. Team and individual development are complementary. The team’s been Hurley’s for quite a while, from a mental perspective, but having personally recruited 10 of the 13 makes all these line-up and rotation decisions even easier to implement. The guys have bought in, they trust the process. I personally think Jackson goes the Terrell route and starts right away. I hope we get a full slate of OOC games to inform the decision making.

If you read a lot of these threads, it’s why most people have Polley or Carlton starting. I don’t remember which threads exactly but I’ve seen several posters saying Hurley favors experienced leaders to start. I disagree. Jackson is by far the best 3 on the roster. Sanogo is by far the best 5 on the roster. Both should start, but Hurley will do what’s best.

Reaction Score
If you read a lot of these threads, it’s why most people have Polley or Carlton starting. I don’t remember which threads exactly but I’ve seen several posters saying Hurley favors experienced leaders to start. I disagree. Jackson is by far the best 3 on the roster. Sanogo is by far the best 5 on the roster. Both should start, but Hurley will do what’s best.

To me, it’s finding the balance. Throw some young guys in too soon, you mess them up. Others can handle it. We may see an older guy as a placeholder for some early games. I think a lot depends on when these guys can start practicing and getting in their reps in and how the young guys respond to coaching. In a perfect world, these freshmen (at least Andre and Javonte) would have been on campus this month, but everyone’s working with the same deal.

Reaction Score
This narrative that Whaley is a 4 really needs to end

what narrative? i don't think that anyone would consider him an ideal 2020 power forward, but he started at the 4 in a string of successful games at the end of the season. he finished all of those games at the 5, and it's easy enough to imagine the same thing happening this season. it's not really a narrative if it was reality for an extended period of time...

Reaction Score
Whalley is going to do more than start, I think he's going to be one of our best players. The switch went off, he really gets it now. And he has the physical tools to act on his knowledge.
Especially if he can improve his FG % rom 10 to 15 for his shooting. He has the ball skills and quickness to blow by a big man playing him tight if his outside shot improves.

Reaction Score
This narrative that Whaley is a 4 really needs to end
in a perfect world i'd agree, but like you said, that's assuming martin can play. if martin sits then it comes down to either polley or whaley starting at PF since we can't pencil springs in for heavy minutes yet.

polley started to break out last year as a SF but hasnt proven he can play stretch 4 at all. i'm also a big proponent of having our 5 best players on the floor which would mean: cole/bouk/aj/whaley/sanogo even if it means a lack of shooting....so yeah i'm trying to talk myself into this lineup incase martin sits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom