2020 Starting 5 & Bench | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2020 Starting 5 & Bench

Reaction Score
I'll set forth the one incontrovertible fact. Cole was good enough that Hurley spent 3 scholarship years on a player who would only give him two years, and while seeing him practice against UConn this year didn't even sniff after recruiting other point guards.

Could Hurley be wrong in his analysis? Sure. But do you think that's where the smart money is?
Totally agree with you.. The Hurleys believe in this guy.. Good enough for me.. He'll make JG better..JG will make him better.. Can't see how defenses can key on RJ (like they did at Howard).. He has too much talent surrounding him here..

Reaction Score
I'll set forth the one incontrovertible fact. Cole was good enough that Hurley spent 3 scholarship years on a player who would only give him two years, and while seeing him practice against UConn this year didn't even sniff after recruiting other point guards.

Could Hurley be wrong in his analysis? Sure. But do you think that's where the smart money is?
You'll get agreement from 90% on the board on this. The RJ Cole "hate" is being blown so out of proportion on this board

Reaction Score
Cole, Bouk, Polley, Whaley, Carlton. That's a nice experienced starting five. And by using Polley at the three with his ability from the arc it will create freedom for both Cole and Bouk.

I think Sanogo (for Carlton) will be the first off the bench. Then Gaffney and Jackson replacing Cole and Polley respectively.

Springs will spell Whaley and Adams will come in for Bouk.

When Akok returns, he might be part of a two man change with Sanogo for the front line.

That's just one way to play it. DH will have real options everywhere on the floor. It makes one's head spin.

Reaction Score
In 1999 Ricky played the point when Khalid was not in. In 2004 Ben played the point when Taliek was not in. You really don't need to have another point guard coming off the bench. I expect RJ and Jalen to play 20 -25
minutes together and 7 - 10 each at the point with Bouk or BA at shooting guard.

Yeah, it’s less about not having no ball handlers off the bench and more about Jackson just being better than Gaffney. I’m not saying Cole and Gaffney shouldn’t start together, just observing that would leave us with no ball handler off the bench.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Cole, Bouk, Polley, Whaley, Carlton. That's a nice experienced starting five. And by using Polley at the three with his ability from the arc it will create freedom for both Cole and Bouk.

I think Sanogo (for Carlton) will be the first off the bench. Then Gaffney and Jackson replacing Cole and Polley respectively.

Springs will spell Whaley and Adams will come in for Bouk.

When Akok returns, he might be part of a two man change with Sanogo for the front line.

That's just one way to play it. DH will have real options everywhere on the floor. It makes one's head spin.
I’m concerned he may have too many options. Remember how many different lineups we used in 2011-12? Most really good teams only go about 8 maybe 9 deep. With Martin we’re 11 deep.

Reaction Score
I’m concerned he may have too many options. Remember how many different lineups we used in 2011-12? Most really good teams only go about 8 maybe 9 deep. With Martin we’re 11 deep.
Hurley likes playing 10 guys. If Martin is eligible and Akok continues to progress like we've heard that makes us 12 deep. When you consider that, the reports that the staff is planning to redshirt Martin make a ton of sense.

Reaction Score
I don't see any way Whaley and Calton start together, they were a terrible fit together last year. Whaley should get the start unless something miraculous happens with Carlton.

Exactly. It's 3 v. 5 on offense when Whaley and Carlton are in together. If Whaley is in the game, it'll have to be at the 4 with Sanogo at the 5, or at the 5 with Jackson/Polley/Martin at the 4.

Reaction Score
the reports that the staff is planning to redshirt Martin make a ton of sense
what reports are these? hurley's quoted saying if the ncaa doesnt pass the blanket waiver they will attempt to get martin an individual waiver

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly. It's 3 v. 5 on offense when Whaley and Carlton are in together. If Whaley is in the game, it'll have to be at the 4 with Sanogo at the 5, or at the 5 with Jackson/Polley/Martin at the 4.

Sanogo may be a better athlete than Carlton on day one, and that may make him a better rebounder and defender, but do we really expect that he's going to have the scoring skills of a senior Carlton? I find that doubtful myself. I thought Sanogo's value was just being a big athlete, which is fine -- I'll take it -- but it may make the issues with scoring with him and Whalley in together even worse.

Reaction Score
Sanogo may be a better athlete than Carlton on day one, and that may make him a better rebounder and defender, but do we really expect that he's going to have the scoring skills of a senior Carlton? I find that doubtful myself. I thought Sanogo's value was just being a big athlete, which is fine -- I'll take it -- but it may make the issues with scoring with him and Whalley in together even worse.

Which scoring skills are we referring to? He air balled and clanged off the backboard several shots that were 2 feet from the rim. Yes I think Sanogo is a better rebounder, defender, and scorer from day one.

Reaction Score
Hurley likes playing 10 guys. If Martin is eligible and Akok continues to progress like we've heard that makes us 12 deep. When you consider that, the reports that the staff is planning to redshirt Martin make a ton of sense.
what reports are these? hurley's quoted saying if the ncaa doesnt pass the blanket waiver they will attempt to get martin an individual waiver
The staff isn't "planning" on redshirting Martin.

As of now, he has to sit due to transfer rules.

Either the NCAA grants a blanket waiver and he plays, they grant him an individual waiver (yeah, right) and he plays, or he neither of those happen and he sits.

If he's eligible, he's going to play, you don't redshirt a player who can have an impact.

But it's not up to the staff, it's up to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I don't see any way Whaley and Calton start together, they were a terrible fit together last year. Whaley should get the start unless something miraculous happens with Carlton.

Just because something didn't work last year doesn't mean it won't work this year. Every year is different. Players grow, expand their games and develop cohesiveness. The pieces around them change. Guys learn each other's roles and how to play together.

Carlton was the best offensive rebounder on the team last year. He is trimming down a little and that should help his quickness. He has a lot to offer. It's insane how much hate is directed his way.

Reaction Score
what scoring skills? short arming a put back from directly under the basket three times in a row? sanogo isn't cliff, he's more skilled than athletic.
The staff isn't "planning" on redshirting Martin.

As of now, he has to sit due to transfer rules.

Either the NCAA grants a blanket waiver and he plays, they grant him an individual waiver (yeah, right) and he plays, or he neither of those happen and he sits.

If he's eligible, he's going to play, you don't redshirt a player who can have an impact.

But it's not up to the staff, it's up to the NCAA.
There may have been another but this is the one I remember

Hearing Javonte Brown Ferguson will likely redshirt, and Martin will sit out like RJ Cole did. Fluid situation due to injuries and COVID, but that was initial plan.

Reaction Score
There may have been another but this is the one I remember
People can say whatever they want about what they are "hearing" the staff is "planning".

It's in the NCAA's hands.

Reaction Score
I could get around this to start. Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Whaley, Sanogo with Jackson as our 6th man. Only thing is that leaves us with no ball handlers off the bench.
Gaffney will improve his shooting and defense this summer, but Gaffney's big plus, especially early in the season, will be his ability to communicate with and get the ball to Bouknight.

Reaction Score
Credible source on here said that is the plan for now.

Edit: see @navery12 ’s post just above.

Reaction Score
Credible source on here said that is the plan for now.

Edit: see @navery12 ’s post just above.

Martin’s playing status with UConn for the 2020-21 season will depend on the upcoming NCAA decision regarding immediate eligibility for transfers, which is expected in late-May, or obtaining a waiver to receive immediate eligibility. Both Hurley and Martin have said they haven’t thought much about whether Martin would apply for a waiver. R.J. Cole, who transferred to UConn last year after spending his first two seasons at Howard University, did not apply for a waiver. But it sounds like Martin is a different story.

“It’s probably a different situation than with R.J.,” Hurley noted. “With the way our roster was shaped last year, it made a lot of sense for R.J. (to sit out). He wanted the year to use the resources that UConn has to really make improvements physically before he stepped out there. Whereas I think that’s probably not where Tyrese’s mindset is at.”

If neither situation comes about, he will be able to practice with the Huskies, but not compete in games. Whenever Martin becomes eligible, he will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Reaction Score
Martin’s playing status with UConn for the 2020-21 season will depend on the upcoming NCAA decision regarding immediate eligibility for transfers, which is expected in late-May, or obtaining a waiver to receive immediate eligibility. Both Hurley and Martin have said they haven’t thought much about whether Martin would apply for a waiver. R.J. Cole, who transferred to UConn last year after spending his first two seasons at Howard University, did not apply for a waiver. But it sounds like Martin is a different story.

“It’s probably a different situation than with R.J.,” Hurley noted. “With the way our roster was shaped last year, it made a lot of sense for R.J. (to sit out). He wanted the year to use the resources that UConn has to really make improvements physically before he stepped out there. Whereas I think that’s probably not where Tyrese’s mindset is at.”

If neither situation comes about, he will be able to practice with the Huskies, but not compete in games. Whenever Martin becomes eligible, he will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
Yeah I remember that quote, it's all speculation at this point. The most recent post came after the Sanogo commitment which is why I assumed the plan changed

Reaction Score
Yeah I remember that quote, it's all speculation at this point. The most recent post came after the Sanogo commitment which is why I assumed the plan changed
I would expect them to apply for a waiver.

Because we're UConn, I expect the NCAA to deny it.

I'm trying to share information so that people have the facts while they're posting. If someone thinks the coaches are the ones choosing to redshirt Martin or not (right now) they don't know what they're talking about.

If the NCAA grants a waiver, then Hurley has a decision to make, but I'd be shocked if he chose to redshirt a Junior who put up 13 and 7 in the A-10 on a decent team.

Reaction Score
I would expect them to apply for a waiver.

Because we're UConn, I expect the NCAA to deny it.

I'm trying to share information so that people have the facts while they're posting. If someone thinks the coaches are the ones choosing to redshirt Martin or not (right now) they don't know what they're talking about.

If the NCAA grants a waiver, then Hurley has a decision to make, but I'd be shocked if he chose to redshirt a Junior who put up 13 and 7 in the A-10 on a decent team.
You can choose whether to believe it or not but when an insider who's proven to be right before shares information I think it's at least worth consideration.

I hope we apply and he gets a waiver because I think next year's team is going to be a real threat and we can use as much help as possible

Reaction Score
You can choose whether to believe it or not but when an insider who's proven to be right before shares information I think it's at least worth consideration.

I hope we apply and he gets a waiver because I think next year's team is going to be a real threat and we can use as much help as possible
Maybe I misunderstood.

Maybe he used poor phrasing.

The staff may be deciding whether or not they want to apply for a waiver. Which is not the same thing, but would yield the same results. So it could be semantics.

I just think posters talking about the roster/minutes next year should understand it isn't about whether or not Martin is redshirting, but whether or not the NCAA allows him to play.

That could change, but you don't ask for a waiver for immediate eligibility and then redshirt a player who isn't injured. Unless you're trying to upset the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Maybe I misunderstood.

Maybe he used poor phrasing.

The staff may be deciding whether or not they want to apply for a waiver. Which is not the same thing, but would yield the same results. So it could be semantics.

I just think posters talking about the roster/minutes next year should understand it isn't about whether or not Martin is redshirting, but whether or not the NCAA allows him to play.

That could change, but you don't ask for a waiver for immediate eligibility and then redshirt a player who isn't injured. Unless you're trying to upset the NCAA.
I see what you're saying now. I don't take that post to mean they're going to apply for a waiver, get him eligible and then sit him out all year. I just interpret that as they don't plan on playing him next year. Whether that's with no waiver, a denied waiver, or a free transfer and redshirt year I have no idea

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom