2020 Starting 5 & Bench | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2020 Starting 5 & Bench

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Jesus. To be fair, Akinjo is a solid player (though an atrocious shooter and easily replaced by the guard talent Hurley has brought in).

But Matthews? Wasn't he recruited to be a shooter? Career 40% from the field and 28% from 3. Yikes. KO sure had a type.

Kisunas was filler. Basically putting up Tyler Olander numbers for Stanford.

The skill, fit, and culture turnaround from 2018 to the present is just breathtaking. And Hurley did it without running anybody -- save 1 -- out of town.

I thought the holdovers were inherently limited by their low BB IQ and loser mentality?

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The cuse recruiting board is pretty salty with our latest commits.
6A27835B-0D17-4F80-8705-AA73C90DDE50.jpeg

Reaction Score
Sanogo may be a better athlete than Carlton on day one, and that may make him a better rebounder and defender, but do we really expect that he's going to have the scoring skills of a senior Carlton? I find that doubtful myself. I thought Sanogo's value was just being a big athlete, which is fine -- I'll take it -- but it may make the issues with scoring with him and Whalley in together even worse.
“Scoring skills of a senior Carlton” ???? Huh ?

Reaction Score
Martin is going to have to sit. Most college coaches now think that rule is not going through.

I would be shocked if Brendan Adams is playing 10 mins a game.

Andre Jackson isn’t a starter from day one.

Brown needs to redshirt.

Cole
Gaffney
Bouk
Adams
Polley
Whaley

some combination of those six.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
“Scoring skills of a senior Carlton” ???? Huh ?
I don't think I've ever seen someone his size miss so many lay-ups. The less time he's on the floor, the better IMO.

Reaction Score
which ones should I take a peek at?
Well the Kadary one, “former big East rivals recruiting”, also funny in the Sampson Johnson thread bragging about being early and then causing all of his offers when we offered 1st lol.

Reaction Score
Martin is going to have to sit. Most college coaches now think that rule is not going through.

I would be shocked if Brendan Adams is playing 10 mins a game.

Andre Jackson isn’t a starter from day one.

Brown needs to redshirt.

Cole
Gaffney
Bouk
Adams
Polley
Whaley

some combination of those six.
Respect your eye for talent.. If your predictions above come to pass re:Martin and Brown..Bench starts to get a little shorter..Agree with you on BA..What are you hearing/seeing re:Springs and does Akok return to form by mid season??

Reaction Score
I think the Starting line-up should be

Cole
Bouknight
Polley (If healthy)
Springs
Whaley

Which would leave us with a crazy good second team in Gaffney, Adams, Jackson, Sanogo, Carlton,

Assuming Akok wont be ready till Big East play at the earliest

Reaction Score
(Assuming no Akok, a Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirt, and no Martin)
Starting lineup to start the year: Cole, Gaffney, Bouk, Whaley, Carlton.

Gaffney will sub out along with Carlton first. Jackson and Polley will come in and Bouk will slide to the 2 creating Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Polley, Whaley. This lineup will be a big changeup and torch opposing D's causing opponents to change their substitution patterns.

Sanogo will come in for Whaley and Springs for Polley, Gaffney for Cole and Adams for Bouk creating a bench squad + Gaff lineup of Gaffney, Adams, Jackson, Springs, Sanogo. Assuming Springs can play some D, this lineup will lock down opposing bench units with 4 fresh legs + an uber athlete.

Bouk likely comes back in for Jackson after a few minutes for more shot creation and because we want to maximize his minutes while keeping him fresh. Then a few minutes later Cole, Whaley, and Carlton sub back in for a few more minutes of the starting lineup and rotation moves to a new cycle.

This rotation creates a minute distribution of:
Cole 2x
Bouknight 2.2x
Whaley 2x
Gaffney 2x
Jackson 1.8x
Polley 1x
Carlton 1x
Sanogo 1x
Springs 1x
Adams 1x
With 200 minutes available, that makes x=13.33. So Bouk gets around 30, Cole/Whaley/Gaffney get ~27 minutes each, Jackson around 24, and Polley, Carlton, Sanogo, Springs, and Adams 13.

This rotation has an even split between Cole running point, Gaffney running point, and them both in the game running it together. Offense likely flows entirely through Bouk when he's in the game with the Gaff+bench squad.

It also has an even split between Carlton, Sanogo, and Whaley minutes at the 5 (with Whaley also getting 1/3 of the PF minutes). Sanogo eventually begins subbing in for Whaley for half that 2nd lineup rotation or stays on the court when the starters come in at the end of the 3rd and Carlton stays longer on bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Martin is granted a waiver I really hope we play small and use our athleticism. Cole-Bouk-Jackson-Martin-Whaley. With the two bigs our offense doesn’t work and clogs the lane. The end of last year showed that with spacing Hurleys offense is hard to stop.

Make people match us and not vise versa

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Anyone know how old Sanogo is? I believe Javonte will still be 17 at the start of next season.
Saw somewhere that he will be 18 when the season arrives. But to me, he looks late 20s.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Yea I'm sorry this team is going to be insane. We have so much flexibility now lineup wise. You know how we were a good second half team last year? Ya imagine with these horses just absolutely running teams into the ground for 40 minutes. There are just so many choices, but here is my guess what the lineup will be next March, when we are a 3 seed in the NCAAs that absolutely no one wants to play.

STARTERS

PG RJ Cole 30 mpg 15ppg, 7 assists

Comment: People do not understand how good this kid is offensively. He's basically going to be what if Marcus Williams were a smaller but also a better scorer and in shape. He wont score as much as he needed to at Howard but he's going to be super efficient and just.. I'm so excited I love lefty PGs.

G Bounight 30 mpg 18 ppg, 5 reb 1 WTFs

Comment: Maybe Big East POY is his ceiling. Im envisioning a Ben Gordon like sophomore year. Times where he just looks like its too easy. Will have some 30 pt games.

F Jackson 25 mpg 10pt 5 reb 2 WTFs

Comment: Some people are saying he wont start. On what planet? Just his raw athleticism will scare other teams, and just on dunks he's good for 8 ppg. He's going to start, he's going to play a lot, and he's going to be the most fun player on the team by the end of the year. He has a very, very unique skill set in that he has multiple superior skills. His passing/vision and ballhandling at his size, combined with his athleticism, are just a very rare commodity. Better pro prospect than Bouk if he figures his shot out.

F Pork Chop - 20 mpg, 8 ppg 7 rpg 2 bpg

Comment: On a team of absolute thoroughbreds, you need a plow horse or two. He's proven himself, and he'll play a pivotal role doing the dirty work.

C Sanogo - 20 mpg 7ppg 6 rpg 1 bpg

Comment: who knows with young guys. I did think it was funny though that Sanogo commitment and Jackson highlight video hit on the same day. Are there more two opposite players? Sanogo just kinda banging people on the block, soft touch, eating glass.. Jackson flying all over the place.

BENCH

Backup PG - Gaffney 15 mpg, 5 ppg 2 assists

Comment: Gaffney is a good program player. He will play a great backup steadying guard off the bench. I kinda think that is also his best case scenario but will be great program player.

Backup G - Brendan Adams 15 mpg 8ppg no other stats

Comment: I like Adams as a microwave shooter off the bench. 15mpg of 100% Adams as a 4th guard means your team is very good. Adams is a good player

Shooter: Polley

Comment - He'll shoot and make a lot of shots

2nd Center - Carlton

Comment: There are so many players

Backup Wing - The kid from URI

Comment: I really liked him a week ago. How does he play any minutes? Redshirt?

Backup F - Springs

Comment: I heard good things. How is he going to play? Can you redshirt twice?

Backup Backup F but only cuz he's hurt Akok Akok

Comment: Wait how is Akok like the 3rd forward. When he comes back how does he crack that lineup??

Backup Backup C - javonte Brown Ferguson

Comment: How do we have a 3rd string center prospect this good? A month ago I was convinced he was starting over Carlton what is going on?!?!?!??!?

On a line-by-line basis, I find lots to disagree with. But I know I couldn't do any better. I like the thought and effort you put into it, but to be honest, I don' think Dan Hurley or any of his staff have any idea yet how the minutes will shake out, much less any of us. He's had success before, but he's never had this wealth of talented pieces to work with. How he manages minutes -- how he balances having the best mix on the floor at all times and keeping the troops happy will test his mettle to be sure. I'm glad it's his problem and not ours.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm unfamiliar with him and don't trust the highlights, is he also a distributor? I liked Gaffney starting for that particular reason. However if Cole has assists in his package, then he would be awesome fit.

Just saying, I would prefer a low key, point guard willing to distribute first, but still have the offensive arsenal. Gaffney to me would be a better version of Taliek, in that he seems to be fine giving others shine, but posing a more offensive threat. Either way leadership and running this team will be paramount, so the PG will need to be trusted and respected.
I don't see anything comparable about Taliek and Gaffney. Taliek played his best when he played with a sense of urgency and a chip on his shoulder. So far anyway, Gaffney doesn't seem to have that mental makeup. He's more a "let the game come to him" type of player.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think the talent gap will really hurt Polley this year. He has way too many deficiencies in his game to make up for his one very good skill
I prefer to imagine that the Polley we saw in his last game is the Polley we'll see once he gets his sea legs back this season.
Wishful thinking, and maybe just a pipe dream, but it looks possible through these National Flag Blue tinted glasses.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Was bored at work today so I took totals from this thread so far. I understand all the injury and potential redshirt unknowns so don’t shoot the messenger I just recorded exactly what people’s opinions were of the starters.

These are the total # of votes to start to open the season: (out of 32 separate predictions)

Bouk-32
Whaley-30
Cole-28
Jackson-22
Sanogo-18
Carlton-9
Gaffney-8
Martin-5
Polley-4
Adams-3
Akok-1

People had different lineups to start/end the season but I wasn’t going back through it all again. Not sure what this all says other than we unquestionably have the potential for crazy depth. Just thought it would be interesting to see some sort of general board consensus.
So if the fans in the yard had their say, we'd see THREE players in the starting lineup who've never played a minute on this team, including two who've never played a minute of college ball. Interesting.

The one thing I'm sure of is that the starting lineup a the beginning of the season won't be the same starting lineup we'll see at the beginning of league play.

Reaction Score
I prefer to imagine that the Polley we saw in his last game is the Polley we'll see once he gets his sea legs back this season.
Wishful thinking, and maybe just a pipe dream, but it looks possible through these National Flag Blue tinted glasses.
I’d go with the overall body of work than the one game outlier. But hey this is the time for optimism!!!!!

Reaction Score
So if the fans in the yard had their say, we'd see THREE players in the starting lineup who've never played a minute on this team, including two who've never played a minute of college ball. Interesting.

The one thing I'm sure of is that the starting lineup a the beginning of the season won't be the same starting lineup we'll see at the beginning of league play.
Its fun to speculate at this time of year about lineups.. Really can't get too serious until they've practiced together preseason.. I'll be curious..at that time .. Are the Young Guys ready to contribute immediately? (including Springs).. How healthy are Akok and Polley?.. Are our more experienced players hungry enough for minutes to compete vs their talented/younger teammates?? Who redshirts??..if anyone??? Time will tell.. Great "problems" to have.. DH/staff have different challenges with this roster than previous years.. Hoping for player development this summer despite COVID-19 hurdles..

Reaction Score
Rewatching 2011 Big East Championship and it got me thinking how we went 10-deep on this team. 2020 could have a similar minute distribution as that 2011 team. Below are the MPG from 2011 and what I predict for 2020-21.

37.6 Minutes | Kemba
29.1 Minutes | Oriakhi
27.8 Minutes | Lamb
25.4 Minutes | Roscoe
23.8 Minutes | Napier
16.6 Minutes | Coombs-McDaniel
15.4 Minutes | Okwandu
9.9 Minutes | Giffey
9.6 Minutes | Olander
8.5 Minutes | Beverly
4.2 Minutes | Wolf

37.6 Minutes | Bouknight
29.1 Minutes | Whaley
27.8 Minutes | Cole
25.4 Minutes | Jackson
23.8 Minutes | Gaffney
16.6 Minutes | Polley
15.4 Minutes | Adams
9.9 Minutes | Carlton
9.6 Minutes | Sanogo
8.5 Minutes | Springs
4.2 Minutes | Brown-Ferguson

*Assuming Martin is not eligible
*Assuming Akok is not playing for a few months

Reaction Score
Rewatching 2011 Big East Championship and it got me thinking how we went 10-deep on this team. 2020 could have a similar minute distribution as that 2011 team.
i like the team comparison but bouk wont need to play as much as kemba. i think 30 mpg will be his cap. sanogo in particular needs to get those extra minutes

Reaction Score
Rewatching 2011 Big East Championship and it got me thinking how we went 10-deep on this team. 2020 could have a similar minute distribution as that 2011 team. Below are the MPG from 2011 and what I predict for 2020-21.

37.6 Minutes | Kemba
29.1 Minutes | Oriakhi
27.8 Minutes | Lamb
25.4 Minutes | Roscoe
23.8 Minutes | Napier
16.6 Minutes | Coombs-McDaniel
15.4 Minutes | Okwandu
9.9 Minutes | Giffey
9.6 Minutes | Olander
8.5 Minutes | Beverly
4.2 Minutes | Wolf

37.6 Minutes | Bouknight
29.1 Minutes | Whaley
27.8 Minutes | Cole
25.4 Minutes | Jackson
23.8 Minutes | Gaffney
16.6 Minutes | Polley
15.4 Minutes | Adams
9.9 Minutes | Carlton
9.6 Minutes | Sanogo
8.5 Minutes | Springs
4.2 Minutes | Brown-Ferguson

*Assuming Martin is not eligible
*Assuming Akok is not playing for a few months

This looks pretty reasonable. I might take 5 minutes from Bouk and Whaley and give them to Sanogo because I don’t think there’s any way he’s playing under 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
This looks pretty reasonable. I might take 5 minutes from Bouk and Whaley and give them to Sanogo because I don’t think there’s any way he’s playing under 10 minutes.

For sure, also don’t know how we only play Carlton 10-mins but as you pointed out, extra mins probably go to Sanogo. Now if Akok comes back and Martin is eligible I’m not sure what this will look like.

Reaction Score

"I really feel the Huskies are poised for a break through In 2020-21 and the late addition and reclass of
Adama Sanogo could be huge. He’s big, he’s strong and he’s got game. Javonte Brown-Ferguson
is another big who can help, but I see him as a little bit more of a developmental guy. The 'X' factor here is
Andre Jackson. If they can get the super athletic 6-foot-7 wing to play consistently, then they’ll be cooking with hot grease."

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom