2020 Starting 5 & Bench | The Boneyard

2020 Starting 5 & Bench

Reaction Score
There are so many pieces I don't know where to begin. Bouk and Jackson are penciled in as starters IMO.

Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Sanogo
Carlton starts, but Ferguson gets more minutes

This line up can win the Big East

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are so many pieces I don't know where to begin. Bouk and Jackson are penciled in as starters IMO.

Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Sanogo

I think Whaley might get the edge over Carlton. I think carlton will just be a backup player this year.

Reaction Score

Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Sanogo

I think Jackson will be a star for us, BUT I see hurley making him "earn" his minutes early on and then eventually transitioning into a starter. Whaley has got to start after his performance last year, and I don't see Javonte Brown Ferguson getting anywhere near as many minutes as Carlton this year.

Reaction Score
I think Whaley might get the edge over Carlton. I think carlton will just be a backup player this year.

It would not surprise me to see Carlton on the bench, but I think Hurley gives him the nod as the stater and more minutes to others

Reaction Score
I think Jackson will be a star for us, BUT I see hurley making him "earn" his minutes early on and then eventually transitioning into a starter. Whaley has got to start after his performance last year, and I don't see Javonte Brown Ferguson getting anywhere near as many minutes as Carlton this year.
Even Bouknight didn't start the first 12 games of his career.

Reaction Score

Maybe it lights a fire under Carlton and he comes back determined to start

Reaction Score
Not if 1. Martin has to sit a year and 2. Akok is either not the same player or has to redshirt.
No. He’s only gonna redshirt if he doesn’t prove himself in practice. If he’s too young and raw to compete with Whaley, Sanogo, Springs, Carlton, if he’s #5 he’ll redshirt. No other factors. Not even Akok. Akok will play, he’ll be back by February I hope. Either way Akok won’t redshirt

Reaction Score
#RedshirtJBF
Absolutely. For some reason I was crucified a few weeks back for suggesting this if we added a big. Perfect scenario. It sounds like Sanogo wants to get to the league quickly but imagine this depth at center in 2022:
Junior Sanogo
RS Sophomore Javonte Brown Ferguson
Freshman Clingan

Reaction Score
While I've said that Carlton deserves every reason to start...

If the NCAA passes the freebie transfer rule, I don't think it's a crazy thought to think he transfers back home, Wake Forest will have open slots.

Writing is definitely on the wall that he could fall waaaaaaay down in the frontcourt rotation.

Reaction Score

Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Sanogo

I can’t see any way Carlton starts over Whaley or Sanogo. Whaley finished the year as our best front court player by a mile. Sanogo is everything Hurley has been looking for in a big man. I’d say the 5 are Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Whaley, and Sanogo

With the way Hurley has been talking about him, I don’t see how he doesn’t start. He says he expects the same production from Jackson as Bouknight gave us the second half of the year. He’s not coming off the bench if that’s what Hurley expects from him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Sanogo

Sanogo at the 5, Whaley at the 4, Martin at the 3

Reaction Score
These lineups are all way too big. Getting a quality player like Sanogo does not make Whaley any more palatable at the 4.

We will have tremendous depth in the frontcourt, but our best lineups will still come with guys like Martin, Polley, or Akok (maybe spot minutes for Springs) at the 4, and either Whaley, Sanogo, or Carlton (maybe spot minutes for Javonte Brown Ferguson) at the 5.

I'm not going to predict starting lineups, but the lion's share of the minutes, or at least the crunch-time minutes, will be distributed like that.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. For some reason I was crucified a few weeks back for suggesting this if we added a big. Perfect scenario. It sounds like Sanogo wants to get to the league quickly but imagine this depth at center in 2022:
Junior Sanogo
Freshman Clingan

Sanogo will be gone after his sophomore season.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
These lineups are all way too big. Getting a quality player like Sanogo does not make Whaley any more palatable at the 4.

We will have tremendous depth in the frontcourt, but our best lineups will still come with guys like Martin, Polley, or Akok (maybe spot minutes for Springs) at the 4, and either Whaley, Sanogo, or Carlton (maybe spot minutes for Javonte Brown Ferguson) at the 5.

I'm not going to predict starting lineups, but the lion's share of the minutes, or at least the crunch-time minutes, will be distributed like that.
Polley is going to have to earn his minutes back. He has a lot to improve on. If doesn’t, he’s a great shooter off the bench

Reaction Score
Sanogo at the 5, Whaley at the 4, Martin at the 3

Martin over Jackson?

Polley is going to have to earn his minutes back. He has a lot to improve on. If doesn’t, he’s a great shooter off the bench

Agree. I think he’ll be a 10-15 minute guy who’s role will be to hit 3s. He has a LOT of completion now, at both positions he plays.

Reaction Score

It does though?

Offensive reboundng is still a big thing in the college game due to marked differences in roster composition and bigs ability compared to NBA.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Junior Sanogo
Freshman Clingan
True sophomore Etienne

Reaction Score

That's fine. My point is, this is 2020, not 1995. You don't clog up your offense with 2 players who can't shoot outside the paint.

The main value of having a lot of bigs coming in isn't that you play all of them at once. It's that bigs recruiting is unpredictable and some of them will be busts. You need multiple of them to give yourself a chance of hitting on one of them.

In 2002 we brought in Hilton Armstrong and Marcus White. White washed out, Armstrong went on to be a lottery pick. In 2006, we got Thabeet, Edwards, and Curtis Kelly. Thabeet developed, Edwards was a solid 4-year guy, Kelly washed out.

Again, having Sanogo doesn't make Whaley any better of an option at the 4 than he was last year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That's fine. My point is, this is 2020, not 1995. You don't clog up your offense with 2 players who can't shoot outside the paint.

The main value of having a lot of bigs coming in isn't that you play all of them at once. It's that bigs recruiting is unpredictable and some of them will be busts. You need multiple of them to give yourself a chance of hitting on one of them.

In 2002 we brought in Hilton Armstrong and Marcus White. White washed out, Armstrong went on to be a lottery pick. In 2006, we got Thabeet, Edwards, and Curtis Kelly. Thabeet developed, Edwards was a solid 4-year guy, Kelly washed out.

Again, having Sanogo doesn't make Whaley any better of an option at the 4 than he was last year.
We need Akok back and healthy. Other wise is Springs/Whaley or we go small

Reaction Score
But when we go small, Jackson/Martin/Polley at the 4 is much better than Adams at the 4.

Last year, we were much better on D playing 2 bigs and much better on O playing with 1 big. The single key to this year, other than Cole being who Hurley hopes he is, is figuring out a lineup that can be good on both ends of the floor at one time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom