2020 Starting 5 & Bench | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Starting 5 & Bench

Reaction Score
If sanogo is still here as a junior something has gone terribly wrong. He wants to get to league quickly and for a big man that’s one or two years max on campus.
Yes, I read the quotes from today as well. In my eyes he's a three year college player, especially as a reclass, but regardless my post was a hypothetical. If he's leaving after his sophomore year that'll likely mean 3 UConn draft picks in the next 2 years - Bouknight, Jackson, Sanogo. Sounds pretty sweet to me either way.

Reaction Score
Maybe it lights a fire under Carlton and he comes back determined to start
I hope he loses the excess weight and regains the ability and improves his outside shot. Then maybe only the do I see him making an impact next year with the talent we have. Hurley has no issues playing small or just having Whaley and Sanogo playing together which isnt really that small.

Reaction Score
until AJ proves to be a knockdown three point shooter a lineup of:
cole/bouk/aj/whaley/sanogo won't have enough shooting or spacing for bouk and aj to drive.

it's also not necessary because the BE isn't a big league. it's a guard/wing league meaning defensive switchability is key. without akok this makes martin so important as our pseudo stretch 4.

ultimately, i think the rotation that wins the BE tournament and makes a sweet 16 run is:
cole (25)----gaffney (20)
bouk (30)---adams (10)
jackson (20)-polley(15)
martin (25)-akok (10)
whaley (25)-sanogo (20)

i dont see how carlton/springs/brown get meaningful PT. but if carlton doesnt lose at least 15 lbs he shouldnt play anyways

PS- if martin doesnt get a waiver i'll talk myself into a bigger lineup

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone know how old Sanogo is? I believe Javonte will still be 17 at the start of next season.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Whaley is a high energy role player. He started out of necessity, he has the right attitude to be a bench player. Carlton will start for sure.
I think he’s proved he’s better than being simply a role player.
Anyone know how old Sanogo is? I believe Javonte will still be 17 at the start of next season.
He turned 18 in February.

Reaction Score
until AJ proves to be a knockdown three point shooter a lineup of:
cole/bouk/aj/whaley/sanogo won't have enough shooting or spacing for bouk and aj to drive.

it's also not necessary because the BE isn't a big league. it's a guard/wing league meaning defensive switchability is key. without akok this makes martin so important as our pseudo stretch 4.

ultimately, i think the rotation that wins the BE tournament and makes a sweet 16 run is:
cole (25)----gaffney (20)
bouk (30)---adams (10)
jackson (20)-polley(15)
martin (25)-akok (10)
whaley (25)-sanogo (20)

i dont see how carlton/springs/brown get meaningful PT. but if carlton doesnt lose at least 15 lbs he shouldnt play anyways

PS- if martin doesnt get a waiver i'll talk myself into a bigger lineup
It's a guard league, more reason to punish teams on the glass and down low.

Reaction Score
It's a guard league, more reason to punish teams on the glass and down low.
while they punish us from 3 point land because we cant guard them outside? what happens when they clog the paint cause there's only 2.5 shooters in the lineup? i could have sworn you were a proponent of going small which is why you had AJ playing PF at one point

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I got Gaffney, Bouk, BA, Whaley, Carleton starting the first game. It will look VERY different throughout the season though. I see many starting 5’s. Has chief chimed in?

Reaction Score
while they punish us from 3 point land because we cant guard them outside? what happens when they clog the paint cause there's only 2.5 shooters in the lineup? i could have sworn you were a proponent of going small which is why you had AJ playing PF at one point
That's why we have an incredibly deep team that will be able to beat you in a lot of ways.

Don't remember that, AJ has always been a wing/guard. Now that Hurley has brought in all the necessary pieces we won't have to play guys out of position anymore.

Reaction Score

If I were to guess, we start big, but play small 20 mins a game on average. I'll say by January we're running

PG: Cole (25) Gaff (15)
SG: Bouk (25) Adams (10) Gaff (5)
SF: Jackson (20) Polley (10) Martin (10)
PF: Whaley (10) Polley (10) Martin (10) Springs (10)
C: Sanogo (20) Whaley (10) Carlton (10)

This team will play deep and fast. No one more than 25 mins a game. Committee at the 4 depending on matchups. Akok takes the redshirt.

Someone is going to have to be the odd man out at the 4/5. My gut tells me it's Carlton and Springs with a Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirt.

Reaction Score
If I were to guess, we start big, but play small 20 mins a game on average. I'll say by January we're running

This team will play deep and fast. No one more than 25 mins a game. Committee at the 4 depending on matchups. Akok takes the redshirt.

Someone is going to have to be the odd man out at the 4/5. My gut tells me it's Carlton and Springs with a Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirt.
Akok will not redshirt. He’ll play if/when he’s ready in February. Akok doesn’t need a redshirt because he could be gone after the 2021 season. No sense in redshirting, him when he can provide to the team. He’ll play down the stretch and be a key contributor.

If Akok can play, he’s gonna play because he’s that good. If we sit him it hurts the team

Reaction Score
I think the initial starting five will different from the late season starting 5. I would think the following have earned the initial starts (meaning its their's to lose):

Gaffney
Bouk
Whaley
Akok
Polley

Reaction Score
This team has so much flexibility where this is a moot point and lineups will change based on matchups.

However, here's my attempt:

Whaley, Jackson, Carlton, Bouknight, Cole

Key reserves: Polley, Gaffney, Sanogo
Key glue guy: Adams
Developmental guys who can get minutes: Springs, Brown-Ferguson
Injured?: Akok
Waiver?: Martin

Reaction Score
Akok will not redshirt. He’ll play if/when he’s ready in February. Akok doesn’t need a redshirt because he could be gone after the 2021 season. No sense in redshirting, him when he can provide to the team. He’ll play down the stretch and be a key contributor.

If Akok can play, he’s gonna play because he’s that good. If we sit him it hurts the team

You arent wrong. Im just not getting my hopes up that he'll be ready to play. We're a legit defensive power if he is at 100%

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm so confused by all the people nailing our most efficient scorer, and best shooter to the bench. Shooting is the most important skill, more important than rebounding for sure, and Polley isn't the worst perimeter defender.

Reaction Score

Wait what? You have Akok and Javonte redshirting and you have Carlton and Springs as the odd men out at the 4/5? You just took away all the depth we have.

The goal was to have a whole team of capable players again. Why would we choose to hamstring ourselves like we were hamstrung in the past with an incomplete roster.

Reaction Score
Wait what? You have Akok and Javonte redshirting and you have Carlton and Springs as the odd men out at the 4/5? You just took away all the depth we have.

The goal was to have a whole team of capable players again. Why would we choose to hamstring ourselves like we were hamstrung in the past with an incomplete roster.

I would expect both Carlton and Springs to play 10-15 a game depending on matchups I guess. Kind of depends if you consider that being the odd man out or not.

My money would be on a Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirt unless he improves a lot. He is our 5th center. There is a point where depth is counterproductive--guys need to develop chemistry.

If Akok is at 100% he plays 20 mins a game or more. I'm just not convinced he'll be ready physically or mentally. His injury was devastating.

I am guessing on all of this. If anyone earns more minutes we're a better team for it

Reaction Score
Did you watch this past season? Whaley was way better than Carlton. There were a couple games Whaley was the best player on the court.
You need energy off the bench who is more of a energy player (Whaley or Carlton)?

Reaction Score
I think he’s proved he’s better than being simply a role player.

He turned 18 in February.
You need energy off the bench who is more of a energy player (Whaley or Carlton)?

Reaction Score
The last half of the season, Whaley blew Carlton out of the water. He was efficient on offense and defense, and did just about everything we needed. If Carlton drops some weight and plays smarter, I think he can get back to form, but let's not kid ourselves and think Whaley is a starter.

With the newfound depth at the 5, I wouldn't be surprised if we started both (or Whaley/Sanogo), and based on matchups switched to a smaller lineup (Polley/Martin at the 4) when needed.

Whaley:
9.8 PPG
7.6 REB
0.9 AST
1.3 TO
2.1 BLK
1.0 STL
2.8 PF
19.1 minutes per
60% FG
77% FT (3.4 attempts)

Carlton:
5.1 PTS
5.2 REB
0.7 AST
1.5 TO
0.7 BLK
0.4 STL
3.1 PF
18.4 mpg
51% FG
47% FT (1.1 attempts per)

Reaction Score
Minutes wise I’ll go:
PG: Cole (25), Gaffney (15)
SG: Bouknight (25), Adams (10), Gaffney (5)
SF: Jackson (25), Martin (10), Bouknight (5)
PF: Whaley (15), Polley (15), Springs (10)
C: Sanogo (20), Whaley (10), Carlton (10)

I expect Akok to gobble up most of Springs’ time and some of Whaley’s time at the 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom