2020 Starting 5 & Bench | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Starting 5 & Bench

Reaction Score
If Akok returns and Martin has eligibility some players are going to take a major hit in minutes. Somehow Hurley will make it work, though. He seems to be recruiting guys that see the bigger picture - winning above all else.

I think with the depth we have at the 2/3 @HanDurley ’s insider info that plan is Martin will redshirt makes a ton of sense.

Reaction Score
we're close in terms of mpg for the top 9 guys. +/- 5 mpg for bouk, polley, martin, and whaley

i agree brown should redshirt but as was said above, akok isnt a 4 year player so it wouldnt help.

PS- what's the strategy behind "starting big?" i never understood why olander started and played 2 mins before being subbed out
I don't think there's any real advantage beyond a tip of the cap to a senior when there's low pressure. Carlton is going to get some minutes and it's not going to be end of game so get him some early.

(Purely my speculation and why I would be playing him early)

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Minutes wise I’ll go:
PG: Cole (25), Gaffney (15)
SG: Bouknight (25), Adams (10), Gaffney (5)
SF: Jackson (25), Martin (10), Bouknight (5)
PF: Whaley (15), Polley (15), Springs (10)
C: Sanogo (20), Whaley (10), Carlton (10)

I expect Akok to gobble up most of Springs’ time and some of Whaley’s time at the 4.
Martin isn’t transferring in to play 10 minutes per. He averaged 13 and 7 last year on a fringe top 25 team. His minutes have to come from somewhere. Maybe he gets time at the 4 in small ball lineups later in games. Maybe Polley is totally cut from the rotation and he splits time with Jackson more evenly on the wing. Tough tough competitor, he’ll be on the court more often than he’s not.

Reaction Score
That's why we have an incredibly deep team that will be able to beat you in a lot of ways.

Don't remember that, AJ has always been a wing/guard. Now that Hurley has brought in all the necessary pieces we won't have to play guys out of position anymore.
DH's biggest challenge for 2020 season..Besides recruiting for 2021 ..Is allocating minutes/PT for a deep team.. Practice performance might dictate PT opportunities for some players..

Reaction Score
still selling low on martin i see. he has to get more mpg than adams, at the very least

Nope, as I’ve said most of my dislike for Martin was when I thought he’d be sitting a year. Not the case anymore. Who’s minutes do you think he’ll take from my minutes prediction?

Reaction Score
Martin isn’t transferring in to play 10 minutes per. He averaged 13 and 7 last year on a fringe top 25 team. His minutes have to come from somewhere. Maybe he gets time at the 4 in small ball lineups later in games. Maybe Polley is totally cut from the rotation and he splits time with Jackson more evenly on the wing. Tough tough competitor, he’ll be on the court more often than he’s not.

Ok, but where are the minutes coming from? You mention Polley. Some posters on here have Polley starting and playing >20 minutes. So where else? Is he taking Jackson’s minutes? Whaley’s minutes? Springs’ minutes? I also thought Martin would play more than 10 minutes until I wrote this up. I can’t see who’s minutes he’s going to take.

Reaction Score
While I've said that Carlton deserves every reason to start...

If the NCAA passes the freebie transfer rule, I don't think it's a crazy thought to think he transfers back home, Wake Forest will have open slots.

Writing is definitely on the wall that he could fall waaaaaaay down in the frontcourt rotation.
We’ve seen Carlton skills in the past. Before last season he was going to be one of the top centers in the AAC? With his last season looming can he get that back?

Reaction Score
Ok, but where are the minutes coming from? You mention Polley. Some posters on here have Polley starting and playing >20 minutes. So where else? Is he taking Jackson’s minutes? Whaley’s minutes? Springs’ minutes? I also thought Martin would play more than 10 minutes until I wrote this up. I can’t see who’s minutes he’s going to take.
I hesitate to say this..In my opinion.. With a healthy Polley and Martin as advertised.. Do you think BA is going to be a happy camper??

Reaction Score
In your scenario he's taking some of Adams and probably some of Polley's minutes

Reaction Score
I hesitate to say this..In my opinion.. With a healthy Polley and Martin as advertised.. Do you think BA is going to be a happy camper??
In your scenario he's taking some of Adams and probably some of Polley's minutes

So we’re going from praising how BA hustles, defends, and plays smart to now him playing less than 10 minutes in his junior season? Come on now. I have nothing against Martin. Again when I was ranting it was assuming that he had to sit. It appears he’s not sitting so I’m fine with the addition. I just can’t see where he plays big minutes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
assumptions: no martin, akok, or tyler to start the year.
gaff, cole, bouk, whaley, josh. 1,2,3,4,5.
u wanna play? u gotta earn it. leave the hype in the locker room..

Reaction Score
So we’re going from praising how BA hustles, defends, and plays smart to now him playing less than 10 minutes in his junior season? Come on now. I have nothing against Martin. Again when I was ranting it was assuming that he had to sit. It appears he’s not sitting so I’m fine with the addition. I just can’t see where he plays big minutes.
This doesn't add up. You keep saying you have nothing against Martin and then bury him on your depth chart. If it's between the 2, yes Martin is going to take some of Adams' minutes

Reaction Score
This doesn't add up. You keep saying you have nothing against Martin and then bury him on your depth chart. If it's between the 2, yes Martin is going to take some of Adams' minutes

So if giving a guy 10 minutes is burying him, I must be burying Adams, Polley, Springs, and Carlton too. And we must all be burying Javonte Brown Ferguson because I don’t see any minute projections over 10 for him. Just because I don’t have a guy playing major minutes doesn’t mean I’m burying him dude. This is simply how I expect the depth chart to play out. Martin happens to play the 2/3 with some stretch 4 which Bouknight, Jackson, Whaley, and Akok will be playing major minutes at.

Reaction Score
Historically, between injuries, suspensions, foul outs and other issues I think you'd have bunch of extra minutes that become available each season. Figure that in also.

Reaction Score
So if giving a guy 10 minutes is burying him, I must be burying Adams, Polley, Springs, and Carlton too. And we must all be burying Javonte Brown Ferguson because I don’t see any minute projections over 10 for him. Just because I don’t have a guy playing major minutes doesn’t mean I’m burying him dude. This is simply how I expect the depth chart to play out. Martin happens to play the 2/3 with some stretch 4 which Bouknight, Jackson, Whaley, and Akok will be playing major minutes at.
I mean, yeah. There's no minutes over 10 for Javonte Brown Ferguson because almost everyone is suggesting redshirting him. I'm just going to use the same language you've been using all offseason with Cole (which just to note I've been agreeing with you on) about Martin and say I'll come back to this in March when Martin is playing more than 10 minutes a game

Reaction Score
I mean, yeah. There's no minutes over 10 for Javonte Brown Ferguson because almost everyone is suggesting redshirting him. I'm just going to use the same language you've been using all offseason with Cole (which just to note I've been agreeing with you on) about Martin and say I'll come back to this in March when Martin is playing more than 10 minutes a game

We’ll see. Point being I’m not burying him by projecting 10 minutes per game. With our depth that’s how I see it shaking out. He has a lot of competition for minutes.

Reaction Score
We’ll see. Point being I’m not burying him by projecting 10 minutes per game. With our depth that’s how I see it shaking out. He has a lot of competition for minutes.
That's fair, I just think Martin is a significantly better player than Adams. Maybe bury wasn't the right word but Martin is going to be playing major minutes for UConn whenever he becomes eligible

Reaction Score
Yea I'm sorry this team is going to be insane. We have so much flexibility now lineup wise. You know how we were a good second half team last year? Ya imagine with these horses just absolutely running teams into the ground for 40 minutes. There are just so many choices, but here is my guess what the lineup will be next March, when we are a 3 seed in the NCAAs that absolutely no one wants to play.

STARTERS

PG RJ Cole 30 mpg 15ppg, 7 assists

Comment: People do not understand how good this kid is offensively. He's basically going to be what if Marcus Williams were a smaller but also a better scorer and in shape. He wont score as much as he needed to at Howard but he's going to be super efficient and just.. I'm so excited I love lefty PGs.

G Bounight 30 mpg 18 ppg, 5 reb 1 WTFs

Comment: Maybe Big East POY is his ceiling. Im envisioning a Ben Gordon like sophomore year. Times where he just looks like its too easy. Will have some 30 pt games.

F Jackson 25 mpg 10pt 5 reb 2 WTFs

Comment: Some people are saying he wont start. On what planet? Just his raw athleticism will scare other teams, and just on dunks he's good for 8 ppg. He's going to start, he's going to play a lot, and he's going to be the most fun player on the team by the end of the year. He has a very, very unique skill set in that he has multiple superior skills. His passing/vision and ballhandling at his size, combined with his athleticism, are just a very rare commodity. Better pro prospect than Bouk if he figures his shot out.

F Pork Chop - 20 mpg, 8 ppg 7 rpg 2 bpg

Comment: On a team of absolute thoroughbreds, you need a plow horse or two. He's proven himself, and he'll play a pivotal role doing the dirty work.

C Sanogo - 20 mpg 7ppg 6 rpg 1 bpg

Comment: who knows with young guys. I did think it was funny though that Sanogo commitment and Jackson highlight video hit on the same day. Are there more two opposite players? Sanogo just kinda banging people on the block, soft touch, eating glass.. Jackson flying all over the place.

BENCH

Backup PG - Gaffney 15 mpg, 5 ppg 2 assists

Comment: Gaffney is a good program player. He will play a great backup steadying guard off the bench. I kinda think that is also his best case scenario but will be great program player.

Backup G - Brendan Adams 15 mpg 8ppg no other stats

Comment: I like Adams as a microwave shooter off the bench. 15mpg of 100% Adams as a 4th guard means your team is very good. Adams is a good player

Shooter: Polley

Comment - He'll shoot and make a lot of shots

2nd Center - Carlton

Comment: There are so many players

Backup Wing - The kid from URI

Comment: I really liked him a week ago. How does he play any minutes? Redshirt?

Backup F - Springs

Comment: I heard good things. How is he going to play? Can you redshirt twice?

Backup Backup F but only cuz he's hurt Akok Akok

Comment: Wait how is Akok like the 3rd forward. When he comes back how does he crack that lineup??

Backup Backup C - javonte Brown Ferguson

Comment: How do we have a 3rd string center prospect this good? A month ago I was convinced he was starting over Carlton what is going on?!?!?!??!?

Reaction Score
That's fair, I just think Martin is a significantly better player than Adams. Maybe bury wasn't the right word but Martin is going to be playing major minutes for UConn whenever he becomes eligible

Maybe. I also thought he’d play more than 10 minutes until I wrote up that depth chart. He has lots of guys to fight for minutes. If he plays big minutes that means he’s beating out some good guys to get on the floor.

Reaction Score
Maybe. I also thought he’d play more than 10 minutes until I wrote up that depth chart. He has lots of guys to fight for minutes. If he plays big minutes that means he’s beating out some good guys to get on the floor.
We'll definitely have a fun team, if Adams is taking minutes from Martin we're gonna be playing in Indy so I hope it happens

Reaction Score
even with all the schollys filled there are still so many major question marks. will martin get a waiver? will polley be ready to start the season? will akok be ready in january? will carlton lose weight? will brown redshirt? half the roster is up in the air. projecting the starting lineup and rotation is a Sisyphean task, not to say it isn't a bona fide addiction

Reaction Score
Yea I'm sorry this team is going to be insane. We have so much flexibility now lineup wise. You know how we were a good second half team last year? Ya imagine with these horses just absolutely running teams into the ground for 40 minutes. There are just so many choices, but here is my guess what the lineup will be next March, when we are a 3 seed in the NCAAs that absolutely no one wants to play.

STARTERS

PG RJ Cole 30 mpg 15ppg, 7 assists

Comment: People do not understand how good this kid is offensively. He's basically going to be what if Marcus Williams were a smaller but also a better scorer and in shape. He wont score as much as he needed to at Howard but he's going to be super efficient and just.. I'm so excited I love lefty PGs.

G Bounight 30 mpg 18 ppg, 5 reb 1 WTFs

Comment: Maybe Big East POY is his ceiling. Im envisioning a Ben Gordon like sophomore year. Times where he just looks like its too easy. Will have some 30 pt games.

F Jackson 25 mpg 10pt 5 reb 2 WTFs

Comment: Some people are saying he wont start. On what planet? Just his raw athleticism will scare other teams, and just on dunks he's good for 8 ppg. He's going to start, he's going to play a lot, and he's going to be the most fun player on the team by the end of the year. He has a very, very unique skill set in that he has multiple superior skills. His passing/vision and ballhandling at his size, combined with his athleticism, are just a very rare commodity. Better pro prospect than Bouk if he figures his shot out.

F Pork Chop - 20 mpg, 8 ppg 7 rpg 2 bpg

Comment: On a team of absolute thoroughbreds, you need a plow horse or two. He's proven himself, and he'll play a pivotal role doing the dirty work.

C Sanogo - 20 mpg 7ppg 6 rpg 1 bpg

Comment: who knows with young guys. I did think it was funny though that Sanogo commitment and Jackson highlight video hit on the same day. Are there more two opposite players? Sanogo just kinda banging people on the block, soft touch, eating glass.. Jackson flying all over the place.

BENCH

Backup PG - Gaffney 15 mpg, 5 ppg 2 assists

Comment: Gaffney is a good program player. He will play a great backup steadying guard off the bench. I kinda think that is also his best case scenario but will be great program player.

Backup G - Brendan Adams 15 mpg 8ppg no other stats

Comment: I like Adams as a microwave shooter off the bench. 15mpg of 100% Adams as a 4th guard means your team is very good. Adams is a good player

Shooter: Polley

Comment - He'll shoot and make a lot of shots

2nd Center - Carlton

Comment: There are so many players

Backup Wing - The kid from URI

Comment: I really liked him a week ago. How does he play any minutes? Redshirt?

Backup F - Springs

Comment: I heard good things. How is he going to play? Can you redshirt twice?

Backup Backup F but only cuz he's hurt Akok Akok

Comment: Wait how is Akok like the 3rd forward. When he comes back how does he crack that lineup??

Backup Backup C - javonte Brown Ferguson

Comment: How do we have a 3rd string center prospect this good? A month ago I was convinced he was starting over Carlton what is going on?!?!?!??!?

I didn’t think we could find someone higher on Cole than me but here we are! My prediction is more along the lines of 14.5ppg and 5.5apg. I do love the Marcus Williams comparison.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no way Carlton starts over Whaley and doubt he starts over Sanogo- he’s lost his spot in the rotation - how great wud this lineup be:
team 1
Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Whalley
Sanogo
Team 2:
Gaff
Adams
Martin
Akok/polley
Carlton
Double back ups:
Springs/Javonte
Could be a real possibility that Carlson falls to the third team

Reaction Score
I really think it makes a ton of sense for Martin to redshirt next season then come in and replace Bouk, similar to Cole’s situation. He didn’t transfer here to play 10-15 minutes in 1 of his 2 remaining seasons of eligibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom