2020 Recruiting Thread | Page 39 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Thread

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Kevin Mital reclasses to 2019 and will head to Syracuse. Its clear Syracuse will not be leaving any stones unturned in Canada as well. We certainly have competition (we always have) in the great north.

We were never really in play for Mital. I am posting because this was Senecal's #1 WR last year. Same program.

Report: Syracuse Adding Canadian Receiver to 2019 Roster

Mital, listed at 6-foot-2, has set records at the CEGEP level of Canadian football. CEGEP is a post high school education that is not quite college, and is similar to a prep school in the United States. Many of the best Canadian players play at this level before looking to play at the collegiate level whether it is in Canada or in the United States. According to his YouTube highlights, he recorded 17 touchdowns in 2018 were a RSEQ CEGEP D1 record for a single season. Mital had 1,058 receiving yards as well last season, which was second all time at that level. His 35 career touchdowns and 2,438 career receiving yards were also RSEQ CEGEP D1 records. He averaged 21.2 yards per catch as well.

C

Chief00

Second time in a few days - now lets see if they make any effort to assign a grade to any of them.

That statistic may be off, but now we are a month without a recruit. Our recruiting was challenging to begin with but I was HOPING we were starting to find the right recruiting niche with a lot of young guys on the staff and then the Big East news publicly broke.

I had a boss who said never use the word “HOPE” in a business communication. It doesn’t inspire confidence and is not a commitment people are looking for.

We need to complete the football schedule for 2020, announce it and built a new brand narrative. We need to do it in weeks not months.

Reaction Score
That statistic may be off, but now we are a month without a recruit. Our recruiting was challenging to begin with but I was HOPING we were starting to find the right recruiting niche with a lot of young guys on the staff and then the Big East news publicly broke.

I had a boss who said never use the word “HOPE” in a business communication. It doesn’t inspire confidence and is not a commitment people are looking for.

We need to complete the football schedule for 2020, announce it and built a new brand narrative. We need to do it in weeks not months.

Most kids aren’t going to commit to a 1-11 team until they see a better product on the field. So we’re a few weeks away from that point

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Chief, August is traditionally a slow month for actual commits. The high months are June and early July for camp season and then things don’t really ramp up again until November thru the second signing day.

Plus, with a program like ours, I wouldn’t want more than say 10-12 or so kids by Sept because I want to have plenty of room to feast on those late blooming seniors in November. Lots of our best kids from the 2019 class didn’t show much until their senior year.

I think we will have a class of 20-22 this year and we are already at nine kids.

Lastly, for our program, a lot kids want to see what we look like this fall. It’s a pleasant surprise we have nine kids at the moment.

Reaction Score
I like that we watch Senior year. 17-19 kids develop so much

If you are a Clemson, you want 20 some kids locked up August One ... not UCONN

Reaction Score
I like that we watch Senior year. 17-19 kids develop so much

If you are a Clemson, you want 20 some kids locked up August One ... not UCONN

I think that's right...

Teams like Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, FSU, Georgia, Penn State, etc already have 20, or in that neighborhood.

Houston, SMU, BYU, Nevada, UMass, etc have a little less than half that....a different recruiting philosophy is dictated.

Pick up late developing athletes, over looked kids, and maybe a decommit or two.

Recruiting has been changing a bit....used to be that National Signing Day saw platoons of high rated HS seniors who had waited to commit....amid the drama of "choosing the hat".

Less now....just a relative few of the biggest catches have not committed by NSD.

But...I think that there are more late "flips".

Reaction Score
I think that's right...

Teams like Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, FSU, Georgia, Penn State, etc already have 20, or in that neighborhood.

Houston, SMU, BYU, Nevada, UMass, etc have a little less than half that....a different recruiting philosophy is dictated.

Pick up late developing athletes, over looked kids, and maybe a decommit or two.

Recruiting has been changing a bit....used to be that National Signing Day saw platoons of high rated HS seniors who had waited to commit....amid the drama of "choosing the hat".

Less now....just a relative few of the biggest catches have not committed by NSD.

But...I think that there are more late "flips".

As I say above ...

It’s positional. OLine? We’ve traditionally watched 4 or 5 games of their Senior year. And RB? We often have 4 or 5 kids we like & watch ... see who has something special.

But QB? You want someone high on your board by July. DBs you start picking as soon as you see that combined package.

We ARE a Development Program. Always. My confidence in Edsall is he is proven - at most all positions - to develop; and I think that’s in contrast to the preceding two - PP & Diaco. We have to grind through a lot ... and I can name lots of big Star kids that we never saw play great v total value add raw kids. I think you should like that aspect of UCONN football as a fan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do like development...and used to watch some Florida high school ball....watch the FSU camps and the kids coming through.

You can't teach speed...and speed is evident by the senior year. A kid with real speed goes on the hot list by the time he is a junior.

Some kids do have some late growth, but it is rare that a 6'0 senior LB becomes a 6'6 college DE.

Mainly what is being developed is strength and technical skills.

Kids coming out of the better Florida programs today are stronger and more fundamentally developed than they were 30 years ago. And their future potential more easily assessed.

But everyone benefits from a RS season to get college ball strong and to adjust to the speed of the college game.

Some programs look for kids with "good bones" and don't play them for two years (RS and sophomore) while they develop.

Virginia Tech built a progam around the "lunch box" ethos...hard working guys who weren't four star rated.

Reaction Score
AS you know ...

The bulk of NE & NY HS football is light years not near the development of year round Florida Football. The saving grace is the rising Prep programs that are getting better year by year - with very attractive academics. Weight training & simple skill development is rare in advanced stages at most levels in the northeastern US.

There's a greater possibility set; particularly with a naturally tall strong athletic big kid. Plus Redshirt always. One good QB and fast WRs and a good talented deep RB core. OK

We should be freaked out about what we saw last year on Defense. HOWEVER … we not have about 15 DBs that played early and are fast and worked the last 8 months in the weight room.

Reaction Score
Strange offer/timing:

Justin Beadles is a 6-5 230lb DE from Sandy Creek High School in Tyrone Georgia. He committed to Arizona State @ the end of July (7/29) and held 16 other offers at the time (10 P5).

Highlights

Reaction Score

Sean Martin is a 6-6 260lb DE from BlueField High School in BlueField West Virginia.

Was committed to UNC but decommitted on 8/1. Other offers from and Baylor, Duke, FAU, Illinois, Kentucky, Liberty, Marshall, Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, NC State, Oregon, PennState, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Temple, Utah, Vanderbilt, Virginia, VaTech and West Virginia.

Highlights

Reaction Score

Sean Martin is a 6-6 260lb DE from BlueField High School in BlueField West Virginia.

Was committed to UNC but decommitted on 8/1. Other offers from and Baylor, Duke, FAU, Illinois, Kentucky, Liberty, Marshall, Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, NC State, Oregon, PennState, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Temple, Utah, Vanderbilt, Virginia, VaTech and West Virginia.

Highlights

This is an impressive list of offers. Would be a coup if he ever signed with UConn. What are the chances?

Reaction Score
This is an impressive list of offers. Would be a coup if he ever signed with UConn. What are the chances?

West Virginia folks think that they will get him. They have had two visits this year (one last year).

But with Penn State (visited) offering, it may be tough.

Getting kind of late in the game so UConn needs to get him to visit to be in the mix, IMHO.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Huskies have offer out to Eric Young of Pine Forest High in Pensacola.

Named to the Pensacola News Journal Super Senior top 16 list. List, as its name implies, only includes seniors but he will be playing against D1 talent every week.

Reaction Score
Huskies have offer out to Eric Young of Pine Forest High in Pensacola.

Named to the Pensacola News Journal Super Senior top 16 list. List, as its name implies, only includes seniors but he will be playing against D1 talent every week.

UConn was his first offer - doesn’t appear he has picked up any others since. Be interesting to see if they start to percolate.
My bad... thought I posted this. Must have gotten distracted by Uconn Baseball postings:

Eric Young is a 5-10 170lb RB/WR from Pine Forest High School in Pensacola Florida

Highlights

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn was his first offer - doesn’t appear he has picked up any others since. Be interesting to see if they start to percolate.

If you look at the list of players, Young's QB is a dual threat QB with offers from Navy, Stetson and D2 West Florida (Beaudry's old school).

Pine Forest also has another WR, Von Hill, with a bunch of P5 offers.

In other words, don't expect Young to have massive numbers at the end of the season. Plenty of talent on that Pine Forest team.

Pine Forest also has a DB who has committed to UAB, so the WR's will have plenty of high level practice competition.

Reaction Score
If you look at the list of players, Young's QB is a dual threat QB with offers from Navy, Stetson and D2 West Florida (Beaudry's old school).

Pine Forest also has another WR, Von Hill, with a bunch of P5 offers.

In other words, don't expect Young to have massive numbers at the end of the season. Plenty of talent on that Pine Forest team.

Pine Forest also has a DB who has committed to UAB, so the WR's will have plenty of high level practice competition.

Maybe I am wrong ...

Sometimes when you see a UCONN level Offer (and there are comparables) without the number of FCS and other G5 programs, I start thinking the kid has committed or is just gone radio silent. (the POP he shows up on an Official Visit in December) That is one way to not rise in rankings - but maybe that doesn't matter to one kid or another.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe I am wrong ...

Sometimes when you see a UCONN level Offer (and there are comparables) without the number of FCS and other G5 programs, I start thinking the kid has committed or is just gone radio silent. (the POP he shows up on an Official Visit in December) That is one way to not rise in rankings - but maybe that doesn't matter to one kid or another.

Yep. Some kids chase offer numbers, others are content laying low with what they have.

I was pointing out for those who only see HS numbers come signing day, his numbers won't pop out even though he has talent. Also interesting UConn is recruiting him as an RB/SB/Athlete whereas he is playing WR in high school.

Reaction Score
Looks like Randy meant to send this as a DM

Attachments

• 6283BC67-7F1A-4FD5-90DB-4C6FBB5FA030.jpeg
    6283BC67-7F1A-4FD5-90DB-4C6FBB5FA030.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 216

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads