2020 Recruiting Thread | Page 72 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Love Kevin Mensah, soon to be our all time leading rusher! Much respect to a player who has improved his game each season and didn't get the benefit of a redshirt year like D Brown and many others before him. If Jack Zergiotis can improve his game year over year like Mensah has we are bowling next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love Kevin Mensah, soon to be our all time leading rusher! Much respect to a player who has improved his game each season and didn't get the benefit of a redshirt year like D Brown and many others before him. If Jack Zergiotis can improve his game year over year like Mensah has we are bowling next season.
My god. Lmao

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Am I blaming Mensah personally for our problems running the ball the last three years? Heck no. It's a team effort. That having been said, Mensah goes down on first contact much, much easier than Dixon or Brockington did. Each of them found another yard a carry with a little more elusiveness.

Disagree on the first contact comment. This year is the first time he didn't go down on the first contact and showed decent balance and the ability to break tackles. He still is a one gear running back, but he is better than you give him credit for.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here's an RB the staff has been zeroing in since signing day; Devontae Houston - 5'10'' 163lb RB/CB from Handly HIgh school in Roanoke AL with sub 4.5 speed. Roanoke is on the AL/GA border - mid state.

Doesn't have any FBS or FCS offers yet. Watch the tape, extremely quick to the hole, has an extra gear which he displays regularly on O or D. The lack of offers is a little curious.

Reaction Score
I’ve stated before, IMO Mensah is as good as we’ve had since Brown and Todman.
I agree. For a number of reason, back then the line would dominate opponents. So many memories of the line just completely caving in the defense. Much easier to run when you are not forced to make moves just to get out of the backfield. Think about the times Kevin has had to do that. Hoping with a better passing attack and some nastier play up front, he'll have a really big year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And one other notable dude that fits our needs might be Khari Johnson up at Suffield Academy. He really developed nicely during his PG year, looking stronger and faster than HS. Has a nose for the ball, plays with a good pad level when tackling, gets in there and makes effective shoulder drive tackles.

He visited Akron on 12/7 and received a late offer from Arkansas on signing day 12/18. Per 247 he is set to visit Arkansas on 1/17. He also has offers from Fordham and Rhode Island. Coming out of HS he had an offer from Navy and Howard.

Khari is a Mass kid. Wonder if a CT offer would mean anything.

Khari is a 6'0'' 180lbs Corner/WR - claims 4.5X speed.

Reaction Score
And one other notable dude that fits our needs might be Khari Johnson up at Suffield Academy. He really developed nicely during his PG year, looking stronger and faster than HS. Has a nose for the ball, plays with a good pad level when tackling, gets in there and makes effective shoulder drive tackles.

He visited Akron on 12/7 and received a late offer from Arkansas on signing day 12/18. Per 247 he is set to visit Arkansas on 1/17. He also has offers from Fordham and Rhode Island. Coming out of HS he had an offer from Navy and Howard.

Khari is a Mass kid. Wonder if a CT offer would mean anything.

Khari is a 6'0'' 180lbs Corner/WR - claims 4.5X speed.

No chance.

Reaction Score
Mensah here.. I did not know about this page until yesterday when my friend told me to look at what your fans were saying. I appreciate those who say I’m not good enough to make it to the NFL, that I’m not as good as the former players that played here, that I am “undersized”, not a good Pass blocker etc. I will still play the game that I love for me and for you guys. I will try my best to contribute as much as I can for this team sport. Whether you believe I will or will not make it to the next level, I am telling you that I will. Motivation is definitely something that fuels the student athlete and I appreciate the comments and everything. Our team will be different next year and I’m excited to show you guys. Thank you. Happy holidays. #GoHuskies
THANK YOU brother. LOVE THIS. I admit, I am a frustrated fan because of our lack of success in the win column I over the last nearly 10 years, BUT I respect the hell out of you and the guys on the team that are fighting the good fight, and growing into men. I salute you and the rest of the fellas in the team bro. Us armchair QBs are quick to judge, but don't have half the heart nor physical abilities to do what you guys do. This post makes more appreciative of you as well as the team. You reminded me today that you are a STUDENT athlete. Keep grinding fam. Regardless of what many may say, you're winning the entire time. #Respect #UConn4Life

Reaction Score
Arguably the best DL in Connecticut the last 3 years has been jermaine Williams from StJoes. 6’3” 290. Was the anchor of that stout defense. I heard Juco or prep school. Does anyone know for sure?

Reaction Score
Arguably the best DL in Connecticut the last 3 years has been jermaine Williams from StJoes. 6’3” 290. Was the anchor of that stout defense. I heard Juco or prep school. Does anyone know for sure?

I don’t think he’s that tall (under 6 ft) and I believe he’s north of 310. Someone lead me to believe he was looking Prep to see if he can grab FBS offers. Don’t know that first hand.

Reaction Score
Here's an RB the staff has been zeroing in since signing day; Devontae Houston - 5'10'' 163lb RB/CB from Handly HIgh school in Roanoke AL with sub 4.5 speed. Roanoke is on the AL/GA border - mid state.

Doesn't have any FBS or FCS offers yet. Watch the tape, extremely quick to the hole, has an extra gear which he displays regularly on O or D. The lack of offers is a little curious.

Wow. Speed AND cutback ability. When was the last time we had that? Todman?
Hard to understand how he could have no offers when he looks as fast as Darius Butler with his 4.29 times.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Some general updates and posts on a few guys we have offers on. Really like Cobbs but I think he is going to a P5 by February.
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 2.35.15 PM.png

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here's another WR/DB dude to watch; Kai Felder from Maryland. He has an odd story in that he committed to GT in November, but didn't sign on signing day. He didn't update his twitter account until a couple days after 12/18 to acknowledge GT wasnt happening. Some posters on one of the GT boards said he never had a commitable offer (yes, I used that term) and called it out weeks before signing day.

Zys and Moyseenko started following a few weeks ago. Felder just played in the Crab Bowl, Maryland's all star game.

He claims offers from GT, Buffalo, UT Chattanooga and Louisiana.

He visited Syracuse, Mid Tenn, Rutty over the fall. Looks like he hit the camp circle pretty well last spring/early summer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In order of offer -> Houston Baptist, Incarnate World, Western Illinois, UConn, UTSA and Oregon.

Attachments

• 779ED219-2780-4FF6-92A6-D9AC6A04DC8C.jpeg
    779ED219-2780-4FF6-92A6-D9AC6A04DC8C.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 22
Reaction Score
Crownover is a great example of 1) Edsall's and staff's ability to recognize talent, and 2) the value of the early signing period where UConn wrap up recruiting of the top targets before getting poached by P5s.

UConn was close as he visited, but he just wasn't ready to commit. One thing we know is that Crownover's star rating will skyrocket. Makes me wonder if Oregon is taking a shot at his brother (4 star TE) who didn't commit in the early period

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom