2020 Recruiting Thread | Page 71 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Thread

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
... barring any rules changes, UConn coaches playing coy, any QB departure prior to after spring practice, etc
Well of course....

that’s why I will be rather surprised if we really fill the five remaining slots. Seems like you should play it safe and keep one scholarship open in case you get some unplanned qb departures prior to 8/1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another in state kid to SHU - this was already noted in the Gametime post earlier today

Sacred Heart is a FCS school that will be something reckon with at the FCS ranks (along with CCSU) I think...

Reaction Score
Sacred Heart is a FCS school that will be something reckon with at the FCS ranks (along with CCSU) I think...
Totally 0T message:

Sacred Heart used to be a back up of back ups similar to Quinnipiac attracting many not so sharp affluent out of staters, but the resulting dinero, improving admissions requirements, and grad programs likely create(d) a decent financial status now.

However, total costs near $60K/year and minimalist facilities for an FCS program must be a challenge to success. Anyone know how many scholarships (total full versus combined partials) SHU offers?

Reaction Score
Seems unlikely. Senencal is coming in January. That means we have a four way battle in spring ball; Leon, Steven Krajewski, Jack Zergiotis and the much hyped Senecal. And FWIW, Some insiders say that we shouldn’t dismiss Leon.

Reminder, Senecal will be rehabbing from ACL surgery. The injury occurred in August and surgery likely ocurred in September so I doubt he will be ready for any Spring practices

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reminder, Senecal will be rehabbing from ACL surgery. The injury occurred in August and surgery likely ocurred in September so I doubt he will be ready for any Spring practices
Yeah, thought of it seconds after I posted and didn't bother to revise.

Reaction Score
Totally 0T message:

Sacred Heart used to be a back up of back ups similar to Quinnipiac attracting many not so sharp affluent out of staters, but the resulting dinero, improving admissions requirements, and grad programs likely create(d) a decent financial status now.

However, total costs near $60K/year and minimalist facilities for an FCS program must be a challenge to success. Anyone know how many scholarships (total full versus combined partials) SHU offers?
Not many since they're more of a MidMajor FCS program... If it's like CCSU, they get 45... BUT, heck they've (along with CCSU recently) been outperforming us over the past decade..

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I hear Ali Barkley might not have the hunger his brother has... two different kids.

And looks like 247 has added all our signees... They will eventually assign a grade to most in the coming weeks. It appears a three star grade is coming down the pike for Fogle and Rochester (when they assign a grade a specific number doesn’t show for a few days, but the level assigned is indirectly revealed by the ordering presented on their site).

Only if they are BC commits would they get a three star rating and if they went to the SEC like Georgia or Bama they would be borderline 4 stars

Reaction Score
If I could take 2 P-5 players from the portal who would be impact players for us who wanted to be starters but could really contribute on a P-5 level, other than a QB (which every team in America would take) I'd take a WSDE and a TB. I admire Kevin Mensah's hard work, consistency and year to year improvement but he's just not that good. If we had not a Donald or a Todman, but even an Andre Dixon or pre-doghouse Cornell Brockington, this team would be significantly better. If we had a Cody Brown or Lindsay Witten or a Trevardo Williams to put pressure on the QB from the weakside, every single DB we have would look better.

Getting more talent in those two slots would make me think much more highly of the team's chances to get back to .500 next year.

Reaction Score
If I could take 2 P-5 players from the portal who would be impact players for us who wanted to be starters but could really contribute on a P-5 level, other than a QB (which every team in America would take) I'd take a WSDE and a TB. I admire Kevin Mensah's hard work, consistency and year to year improvement but he's just not that good. If we had not a Donald or a Todman, but even an Andre Dixon or pre-doghouse Cornell Brockington, this team would be significantly better. If we had a Cody Brown or Lindsay Witten or a Trevardo Williams to put pressure on the QB from the weakside, every single DB we have would look better.

Getting more talent in those two slots would make me think much more highly of the team's chances to get back to .500 next year.
I remember when Auburn had Foley and Cam that the UConn team that year was pretty good and just add those 2 guys and team would have been ranked way up there.

Reaction Score

I agree about taking some kids form the portal. I disagree about Mensah, although I think the other RBs you mentioned were better than Mensah. I think the problem with the running game is the lack of a consistent passing offense so the defense focuses on stopping the run. I see signs that the passing game is improving, but it really needs to step it up in 2020. And, UConn used to use a fullback which helped open up holes and the QB was generally under the center which meant running backs hit the holes faster than they do out of the shotgun.

Reaction Score
I agree about taking some kids form the portal. I disagree about Mensah, although I think the other RBs you mentioned were better than Mensah. I think the problem with the running game is the lack of a consistent passing offense so the defense focuses on stopping the run. I see signs that the passing game is improving, but it really needs to step it up in 2020. And, UConn used to use a fullback which helped open up holes and the QB was generally under the center which meant running backs hit the holes faster than they do out of the shotgun.

Am I blaming Mensah personally for our problems running the ball the last three years? Heck no. It's a team effort. That having been said, Mensah goes down on first contact much, much easier than Dixon or Brockington did. Each of them found another yard a carry with a little more elusiveness.

Reaction Score
Am I blaming Mensah personally for our problems running the ball the last three years? Heck no. It's a team effort. That having been said, Mensah goes down on first contact much, much easier than Dixon or Brockington did. Each of them found another yard a carry with a little more elusiveness.
Mensah here.. I did not know about this page until yesterday when my friend told me to look at what your fans were saying. I appreciate those who say I’m not good enough to make it to the NFL, that I’m not as good as the former players that played here, that I am “undersized”, not a good Pass blocker etc. I will still play the game that I love for me and for you guys. I will try my best to contribute as much as I can for this team sport. Whether you believe I will or will not make it to the next level, I am telling you that I will. Motivation is definitely something that fuels the student athlete and I appreciate the comments and everything. Our team will be different next year and I’m excited to show you guys. Thank you. Happy holidays. #GoHuskies

Reaction Score
Mensah here.. I did not know about this page until yesterday when my friend told me to look at what your fans were saying. I appreciate those who say I’m not good enough to make it to the NFL, that I’m not as good as the former players that played here, that I am “undersized”, not a good Pass blocker etc. I will still play the game that I love for me and for you guys. I will try my best to contribute as much as I can for this team sport. Whether you believe I will or will not make it to the next level, I am telling you that I will. Motivation is definitely something that fuels the student athlete and I appreciate the comments and everything. Our team will be different next year and I’m excited to show you guys. Thank you. Happy holidays. #GoHuskies

Young man: if that is you (and obviously none of us know), for your own sanity I would suggest you not try to follow what people say on here. Especially as most of us know relatively little.

That having been said, whether or not it is you, please be aware of the following: (i) as I said in this thread, Kevin Mensah has every right to be proud of the improvement that has been made while here -- as an example, his improvement as a receiver last year to this year was remarkable; (ii) everyone here, while we fight about almost everyothing else, wants to see the team and its players succeed; and (iii) let no one ever convince you to stop reaching for your dreams. Because even if you don't achieve them, much of life is in the satisfaction from knowing you did your best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I were reaching in to the portal and were limited to 2, I'd go w/pass rusher/WDE and a LB. I liked Morgan, but find us still not fielding a D1 LB crew. If we could add another piece to go along w/DJ i would feel so much better. I'm not seeing that guy on the roster, as of today.

Reaction Score
Totally 0T message:

Don't know exactly how many they offer, but they are the only NEC program that hasn't played it scheduled a FBS opponent.

NEC allows up to 45 athletic scholarships, plus another 15 grants in aid, that can be split up to no more than 85 players. There are no required minimums.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom