2020 Recruiting Thread | Page 45 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I saw a kid from Derby HS kick a 50 yard FG in about 1973 against Shelton. Think he was from Ecuador. Before that, I had never seen a HS game try a FG kick more than 25. Rarely have I heard of serious kicking games before college. Kids good ... but this is a credit to the coach & LS & holder too
I believe the previous record belonged to former MLB player Rico Brogna while he played for Watertown High at 55 yards in 1988 or 87. Before he was a first round draft choice by the Tigers he had committed to Clemson to play QB, and he also kicked and punted just for sport I guess.

Reaction Score
I believe the previous record belonged to former MLB player Rico Brogna while he played for Watertown High at 55 yards in 1988 or 87.

Close @Coach J -> 54 yards
Matt Paola, Pomperaug (2011)
Rico Brogna, Watertown (1987)
Tyler Timion, Fermi (1987)

Reaction Score

Carter Hooper is 6-5 240lb DE/LB from Ontario Canada attending IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida. Other offers from Brown, Charleston Southern, FIU, Syracuse and UMass. Camped @ UConn back in June. UConn was his second offer after FIU.

Reaction Score
In addition, the rating services of ESPN and 27-7 show a better quality of player. ESPN had only 2 3* recruit out of 19 in 2019 and we have 7 3* out of 9 this year. On 24-7 we had 10 out of 14 as 3* last year and this year we have 9 out of 10 as 3* more recruits and better ratings

Reaction Score
Way heavy on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully we'll pick up on the offensive side as the year goes on.

Reaction Score
Way heavy on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully we'll pick up on the offensive side as the year goes on.

UConn has a QB, RB, 2TEs, and an OL. That is a nice start to filling needs.

The team is very young in the WR corps (no seniors except Grad Transfer Brown) so that is not a priority in this class. Obviously filling the OL is needed, but Edsall always waits for senior year tapes on most of his OL guys. The 2020 class is where UConn goes back to being able to redshirt most freshmen which is Edsall's preferred plan.

Reaction Score

The team is very young in the WR corps (no seniors except Grad Transfer Brown) so that is not a priority in this class. Obviously filling the OL is needed, but Edsall always waits for senior year tapes on most of his OL guys. The 2020 class is where UConn goes back to being able to redshirt most freshmen which is Edsall's preferred plan.

If you have a Board ... you’re eager for 2 or 3 kids. They wanted Russell Dixon - he was an instant grab from summer camp; might be TE but video shows great play inside the hash marks. Dixon is a current year recruiting... brought to campus. Redshirt. There’s a few more like the Georgia kid that visited.

They need to develop more OLine - last year was Tackle. And Carter may not be the only RB.

Reaction Score

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the recruiting class, on paper. My only add-on to your post would be that the days of the RS may be fast fleeting - technically, you can play 4 and still RS, so we should expect to see a lot of kids at least play while retaining their RS. More importantly, we are moving towards a world of free agency, so I expect to see more kids playing sooner than we might have seen under RE1.0.

Reaction Score

Carter Hooper is 6-5 240lb DE/LB from Ontario Canada attending IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida. Other offers from Brown, Charleston Southern, FIU, Syracuse and UMass. Camped @ UConn back in June. UConn was his second offer after FIU.

Apparently RE 2.0 has the the Canadian pipeline in full effect.

Reaction Score
Now this is what I am talking about, up to 81st class in the country! And we presumably have another commitment that hasn't been disclosed yet.

1569258187270.png

Reaction Score

We don't know how some of these players will be used, like the TE's who also have DE or LB, etc. next to their names, etc. Of course, I may be wrongly assuming the focus has been on defensive players due to the state of our defense.

Reaction Score
We don't know how some of these players will be used, like the TE's who also have DE or LB, etc. next to their names, etc. Of course, I may be wrongly assuming the focus has been on defensive players due to the state of our defense.

This ain’t Diaco recruiting RKGs.

Reaction Score
Edsall Assets:

1.0. He manages a 85 scholarship/105 player roster quite well
2.0. He has a clear view in his evaluation mind as to what he wants to see in each position group. He doesn’t often deviate. As Terry Caulley & Larry Taylor portrays ... he’s able to look at some sized kids others won’t.
3.0. He used to waste scholarships near the February date; seemed to reach a little to fill slots. He hasn’t done that in 2.0HCRE. The computer skills on staff has him focused on a distinct board.
4.0. He seemingly doesn’t do favors for Hs coaching friends - RE Pasqualoni

Having said that ... the current state of CFB is full of components of Offense that he’s not adjusted to.

Reaction Score
Edsall Assets:

1.0. He manages a 85 scholarship/105 player roster quite well
2.0. He has a clear view in his evaluation mind as to what he wants to see in each position group. He doesn’t often deviate. As Terry Caulley & Larry Taylor portrays ... he’s able to look at some sized kids others won’t.
3.0. He used to waste scholarships near the February date; seemed to reach a little to fill slots. He hasn’t done that in 2.0HCRE. The computer skills on staff has him focused on a distinct board.
4.0. He seemingly doesn’t do favors for Hs coaching friends - RE Pasqualoni

Having said that ... the current state of CFB is full of components of Offense that he’s not adjusted to.
Your last sentence is your most salient point. We should never expect this to change with him at this point. He coaches like he coaches and that's that. At UConn he could get away with that if delivers .500 records. It will not fly anywhere else. He ventured out the nest once and found out for himself.

He's proven he's a decent coach. Much better than the 2 guys that came after him for sure. He's a great steady hand in a time of transition. First from FCS to FBS, and now as we head into FBS Independence. There are worst guys to have here during this phase.

Reaction Score

Zaire Flournoy is a 6-3 285lb OL from Chapel Hill High School in Douglasville Georgia. UAB commit (7/29/19 per Rivals). Other offers from Air Force, AppState, ArkState, Army, Campbell, Charlotte, Chattanooga, Coastal Carolina, EKU, FAU, Georgia State, Grambling State, Illinois State, Kent State, Liberty, Marshall, MTSU, Navy, NC A&T, North Alabama, Ohio, Sanford, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Tennessee Tech, Troy, UNLV, WKU, and Wofford.

Highlights

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom