2020 Piath Gabriel commits to UConn [Merged Thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2020 Piath Gabriel commits to UConn [Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
sh
If Gabriel develops like Dolson, I'd say we already are.
Steff got a baptism of FIRE. She wasn't read, she wasn't in condition, she wasn't an AA candidate--until she played. PT cannot be oversold, intelligent kids will do what is necessary to become a Steff or Jessie Moore, Nurse, etc---Geno had no choice and Steff HAD to perform. Kids live up or down to expectations.

Reaction Score
The 2020 roster has 10 players, so ample scholarships remain.
Ditto for 2021.

Buck was rated in the top 20. Not a walk on by any stretch.
You are right she did run the length of the court her last game for Uconn.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Stealing one from Jeff is extra sweet. :D
Jeff? Not what I would say- stealing from MM is always #1 on my list, followed by taking from Tenn (still!) and then I want to payback Dawn for Wilson and Boston! Jeff is so far in my rear view mirror, plus I kinda like him...he makes me laugh, especially because he likes tweaking MM :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only question is Roster slots. If any remain then I won't worry about getting another big. Talent will surpass width in PT. So it depends on whether other "Bigs" want to play for a Championship or sit on the sidelines while the "Rings" are given out. There is UCONN and then there is everyone else. [
2 Posts of impressing --are Jessie Moore (alaska) and Steff Dolson (Middletown, NY) both were works of ART . Jessie more than Steff. Steff was thrown at Griner as a Frosh and did quite well. An ALMOST walk on Nurse handled Griner better for Uconn.
Plenty of roster spots. Can have 15 and UConn has barely made 12 the last few years at least.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Adamec's story on Piath's commitment.

“They reached out before the summer and Coach Auriemma and his assistants came out and evaluated her,” Gabriel’s high school and AAU coach Scott Hazelton said. “She visited on Monday and had a great day. She talked to the coaching staff and saw the campus and she loved what they have there.

“She had a lot of schools on her list and I did encourage her to take her time. I’ve been (through recruiting myself. But she loved everything about UConn and she feels it’s the place where she can reach her goals and be the best that she can be. She’ll always have someone that supports her in me.”

A little tidbit from Carl's story, Piath lives in the same neighborhood as UConn men's freshman Akok Akok.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Not being ranked in the top 100 concerns me as those types of players, especially 6"5" sized ones, sometimes never develop to be contributors. Maybe the light switch truly went on and she will blossom, however lest us not forgot all the discussions about Kyla and how she was overlooked and should have been a top 100 player had she participated in more AAU Travel basketball. Color me cautious here. Optimistic but cautious.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1) Not every kid that is actually good has a hype video out there.
2) Typical BY snark? Impossible! Neither @meyers7 nor @vowelguy have chimed in on this particular subject yet.

Kia Nurse certainly did not. Though there was a lot of stands shot stuff from her HS games up there in poutine land!

1569077924469.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not being ranked in the top 100 concerns me as those types of players, especially 6"5" sized ones, sometimes never develop to be contributors. Maybe the light switch truly went on and she will blossom, however lest us not forgot all the discussions about Kyla and how she was overlooked and should have been a top 100 player had she participated in more AAU Travel basketball. Color me cautious here. Optimistic but cautious.
Far different situation than when Kyla came on board though. Kyla has had "multiple" AAs caliber playing ahead of her at the forward position (Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, & Azura). If Piath finds herself in the same situation UCONN will be very fortunate and so will she.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Far different situation than when Kyla came on board though. Kyla has had "multiple" AAs caliber playing ahead of her at the forward position (Gabby, KLS, Napheesa, & Azura). If Piath finds herself in the same situation UCONN will be very fortunate and so will she.

I may be on a limb here, but I've had my poutine for breakfast and feeling bullish. Piath will rock us all before she's through. She'll also be like a rock.

Any excuse to play my Bob Seger! But I mean it. Run into Stef, get the fog out on the bench. Same is going to be Piath's game in part.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Kyla could be a starter in 90% of other D1 programs. She works hard, plays hard, and from all indications is a good all around lady and a phenomenal teammate.

So PG turns out to be like Kyla, that’s more than okay with me.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Kyla could be a starter in 90% of other D1 programs. She works hard, plays hard, and from all indications is a good all around lady and a phenomenal teammate.

So PG turns out to be like Kyla, that’s more than okay with me.
So let’s apply your percentage to the number of programs 349x 90% is 314 programs you say she could start at. There are 65 P5 Schools so I have to question you assumption. So no, Kyla would not start at 90% of all D1 programs. 80% for sure, contributor on an additional 5% probability, bench supporter for the rest. I have significantly higher expectations for PG than what Kyla has provided thus far. Maybe this year Kyla finds her niche because as you noted, she is a very hard worker, great teammate and seems like a wonderful young lady.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
So let’s apply your percentage to the number of programs 349x 90% is 314 programs you say she could start at. There are 65 P5 Schools so I have to question you assumption. So no, Kyla would not start at 90% of all D1 programs. 80% for sure, contributor on an additional 5% probability, bench supporter for the rest. I have significantly higher expectations for PG than what Kyla has provided thus far. Maybe this year Kyla finds her niche because as you noted, she is a very hard worker, great teammate and seems like a wonderful young lady.

I think Kyla would be vying for a starting position this year in the following P5 programs:

Washington
Washington State
Colorado
Nebraska
Kansas State
Kansas
TCU
Mississippi
Oklahoma State
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Vanderbilt
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Pitt
Penn State
Boston College
Notre Dame (I wouldn’t have them on this list in any other year, but Muffy’s cupboard was left bare)

So, 89%.

I stand corrected.

You can disagree, that’s fine, but I think she, like many other UConn benchers, are much better basketball players than they’re given credit for.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Kyla would be vying for a starting position this year in the following P5 programs:

Washington
Washington State
Colorado
Nebraska
Kansas State
Kansas
TCU
Mississippi
Oklahoma State
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Vanderbilt
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Pitt
Penn State
Boston College
Notre Dame (I wouldn’t have them on this list in any other year, but Muffy’s cupboard was left bare)

So, 89%.

I stand corrected.

You can disagree, that’s fine, but I think she, like many other UConn benchers, are much better basketball players than they’re given credit for.
Might have been easier to list the schools where Kyla wouldn't start.
Texas
Baylor
Stanford
Oregon
Louisville
South Carolina
Mississippi State
Oregon State
Maryland
ND
?????

Reaction Score
Might have been easier to list the schools where Kyla wouldn't start.
Texas
Baylor
Stanford
Oregon
Louisville
South Carolina
Mississippi State
Oregon State
Maryland
ND
?????
I don't know. I think TX and ND could be possibilities for Kyla.... they are in need.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Just out of curiousity how many of those 65 P5 terrors finished in the top 65 last year. Remeber @DefenseBB, I love you guy, but tolerate a little snark attack back! :D

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
i THOUGHT HER A CARRIER (AS SHE DISHES IT OUT)
I think a program like UConn's needs a light aircraft carrier (aka light fleet carrier) to complement a super carrier such as Cardoso. Not as big, presumably more nimble and faster, and can launch from long. Maybe Durant-like. A Hebard who can launch. Maybe a Tuck who is faster with a great outlet pass. Can Edwards be that player?

Come to think of it, maybe Liv?

Are Light Carriers Poised to Make a Comeback?

Reaction Score
Just out of curiousity how many of those 65 P5 terrors finished in the top 65 last year. Remeber @DefenseBB, I love you guy, but tolerate a little snark attack back! :D

Good point, but take a look at the 65 teams below that and the contrast is stark. Irwin would be the star.

Reaction Score
I think a program like UConn's needs a light aircraft carrier (aka light fleet carrier) to complement a super carrier such as Cardoso. Not as big, presumably more nimble and faster, and can launch from long. Maybe Durant-like. A Hebard who can launch. Maybe a Tuck who is faster with a great outlet pass. Can Edwards be that player?

Come to think of it, maybe Liv?

Are Light Carriers Poised to Make a Comeback?
YES!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good point, but take a look at the 65 teams below that and the contrast is stark. Irwin would be the star.
Crap, I'm saying something about the P5 65 to start a good old BY tussle and you make a good, but entirely different point! Meanwhile, is ONO 18 hands tall or not! I think I'm entitled to an answer. I think I've earned it. A :confused: line from A few Good Men. :D

Reaction Score
Aside from playing time, Irwin is probably going to be a great coach someday. Watch her on the bench and she is constantly talking and engaged. I've been at games close up and she is constantly strategizing. Maybe the body gene pool didn't give her what her mind can contemplate. A future coach can't get better training than at UConn.

Reaction Score

Wait until the final rankings are released, I bet that Gabriel will be a Top 75 recruit, maybe even Top 50.

Reaction Score
Aside from playing time, Irwin is probably going to be a great coach someday. Watch her on the bench and she is constantly talking and engaged. I've been at games close up and she is constantly strategizing. Maybe the body gene pool didn't give her what her mind can contemplate. A future coach can't get better training than at UConn.

The best coaches often are not the best players. Geno is a perfect example. The ability to motivate players, to inspire them, is IMO far more important than playing talent.
While Irwin doesn't have all the elite physical tools she has size and she is tough as nails. I remember Gardler, less blessed with talent than Irwin, who spent 3 years picking splinters but who played meaningful minutes as a senior. Irwin's minutes will be limited but I think we'll see her more often in the 1st 3 periods. Bent's minutes will be determined by Westbrook and Makurat.
Both these players know where to be in Geno's offense, and given all the new/inexperienced talent this year, being in the right spot may be a rare commodity. And we know how much Geno values positioning. I hope they never get into a big game because that means the newbies are doing good.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom