2020 Piath Gabriel commits to UConn [Merged Thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2020 Piath Gabriel commits to UConn [Merged Thread]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has anyone found any good hype videos of Piath? All I found was one vid of Piath being repeatedly torched by Hannah Iwaszkiewicz(?!). Not exactly what I hoped to see.
Copied from that Other thread here is Piath showing great form and range on a jump shot.

Don't sleep on Hannah Iwaszkiewicz- she got move like Jagger.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Has anyone found any good hype videos of Piath? All I found was one vid of Piath being repeatedly torched by Hannah Iwaszkiewicz(?!). Not exactly what I hoped to see.

Positioning, fundamentals and having help from her teammates will fix that.

Reaction Score
This is awesome.. Congrats Piath... I'm very happy with having a big body coming in next year. I feel that Edwards or Cardosa will commit soon too. My guess is that Cardosa will go to Uconn as well. With Ono and piath, if Cardosa commits,. that would be 3 bodies 6'5 with point guards to complement for days.
At 6'2" if Edwards is a more athletic Morgan Tuck type I think she would be the better fit making a spot for Debarry in the next class. We can use a pure 4.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno has already lined up Piath's homecoming game ... in Football and Basketball, and Maryland football and a homecoming for a couple of Maryland girls, the pogo stick and Saylor the mortician. :) Football just might be renewed as an independent and a little Italian guy is leading the way.

"UConn, which will begin play as a football independent in 2020, also has future games scheduled with Power Five programs Boston College, Duke, North Carolina, Clemson and Tennessee.
The last time UConn played Maryland, the Terrapins won 32-21 on Sept. 14, 2013 with current UConn coach Randy Edsall in charge of the Maryland program."

@eebmg gets it. That's why we get along so well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
At 6'2" if Edwards is a more athletic Morgan Tuck type I think she would be the better fit making a spot for Debarry in the next class. We can use a pure 4.

To go along with Saylor "I can play all 5 spots" who arrives the next year or is it 2022. I get so confused with the heady pace of Geno's blitz program! :confused::)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To go along with Saylor "I can play all 5 spots" who arrives the next year or is it 2022. I get so confused with the heady pace of Geno's blitz program! :confused::)

This was a dad's promo tape form May, but yeah her footwork and reaction speed needed work, but she improved quite a bit under the tutelage of her AAU program coaches this summer and is a "girl you're a beast" in the making and she earned every bit of our offer. Yeah, I offered her first, but she waited for Geno. ;)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
You don't expect to see Piath's highlight against Hannah in a video by supposedly Hannah's Dad, do you?
No, what I expected to see was Piath's own promo video and all I found was this. So while your response was typically BY snarky, it was not helpful.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No, what I expected to see was Piath's own promo video and all I found was this. So while your response was typically BY snarky, it was not helpful.
1) Not every kid that is actually good has a hype video out there.
2) Typical BY snark? Impossible! Neither @meyers7 nor @vowelguy have chimed in on this particular subject yet.

Reaction Score

Not a great showing, but she's only been playing a short time. Come back in a year.

Reaction Score
2) Typical BY snark? Impossible! Neither @meyers7 nor @vowelguy have chimed in on this particular subject yet.
Sorry coco but I believe Meyer and vowel guy are A typical

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. When you wrote this: ".... Piath being repeatedly torched by Hannah Iwaszkiewicz(?!). Not exactly what I hoped to see", I assumed you missed the title of the video because it was obviously made to make the Pole look good. Before I first saw the video I saw that title and knew exactly what to expect. Heck, a highlight video of my golf game could be made that would make you think I was US Open material, which is so far from the truth it's hilarious.
I look at Piath and see superior physical tools and potential. Much like I saw in Dolson, Buck, Stokes, Butler, etc. Some exceeded my hopes. Some never reached them. I do know I'm too far removed from the facts to be more than hopeful. When a coach makes Geno money I let him carry the stress of projecting HS talent to the next level. I'm just here for the show.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Not much out there yet on Piath. Now that she’s committed to UConn we can all expect that to change dramatically.

This video was posted by the girl’s father titled Hannah iwaszkiewicz vs Piath Gabriel. As you point out, it is a highlight video for a 5’7” guard from Simsbury. Anything positive Piath did during the game is obviously omitted from the video. This is one of the reasons highlight videos can be so misleading. As an example, based on highlight videos we all thought Mikayla Coombs was a pretty good shooter.

I commented on this video in an earlier post, asking if anyone knew how long ago it was shot and commenting that Piath had not yet learned how to move her feet and defend the paint.

The other thing that’s worth mentioning is that the team that Piath is on plays some terrible zone defense allowing the opposing guard to continually blow by the perimeter defenders “Olé” defense, leaving a stationary Piath one on one with a reasonably talented guard with a head of steam.

Most stationary post players in WBB, if left on an island, are sitting ducks when a talented guard attacks them off the dribble. So here’s a scenario to consider. Let’s put Lauren Cox in the paint with no help and have Christyn attack the basket time and again. How often do you think Cox would stop Christyn from scoring without fouling her? 5/10? 3/10? 1/10?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it overly snarky. I'd probably more likely call psconn's post more a "d'oh".

Reaction Score
This is great news. I read the posts about her written earlier in the week. I glanced at this one, and had to look at it again to see if I saw what I thought it read.

How nice to get a BIG that didn’t hold us hostage emotionally for months only to announce that she was going elsewhere. Now, how will this effect or impact Amari DeBerry’s decision? Is she a UConn lean? If she is, will this commitment cause her to look more seriously at other programs? I hope not. I’ve been hoping DeBerry comes to UConn for the last 2 years.

Geno and Chris Daley will transform and grow her into the very best player she can be. They will not allow her to cheat her potential. She would be ready for play at the next level in 4 years, as will Piath. I want 6-6 post Kamilla Cardosa (2020) ranked # 5 overall / #1 position rank also. I’m not dismissing her at all. There’s plenty of room/playing time for her too. ;)

This was a great summer for UConn recruiting wise. They pulled in some excellent recruits with top notch potential. A tip o' the turban to Geno and staff for their tireless and relentless efforts this spring and summer. I like ALL of the recruits they were able to secure, and eagerly look forward to seeing them between the lines in the coming months. :)
The only question is Roster slots. If any remain then I won't worry about getting another big. Talent will surpass width in PT. So it depends on whether other "Bigs" want to play for a Championship or sit on the sidelines while the "Rings" are given out. There is UCONN and then there is everyone else. [
2 Posts of impressing --are Jessie Moore (alaska) and Steff Dolson (Middletown, NY) both were works of ART . Jessie more than Steff. Steff was thrown at Griner as a Frosh and did quite well. An ALMOST walk on Nurse handled Griner better for Uconn.

Reaction Score
The only question is Roster slots. If any remain then I won't worry about getting another big.

The 2020 roster has 10 players, so ample scholarships remain.
Ditto for 2021.

An ALMOST walk on Nurse handled Griner better for Uconn.

Buck was rated in the top 20. Not a walk on by any stretch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom