2020 Piath Gabriel commits to UConn [Merged Thread] | The Boneyard

2020 Piath Gabriel commits to UConn [Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
Sounds like a nice pick up! And learning from CD while working against ONO and Meghan should go a long way to getting her ready for college ball. Of course, until the LOI's are signed we can't get too over the top with the celebrations. ;)

Reaction Score
This is awesome.. Congrats Piath... I'm very happy with having a big body coming in next year. I feel that Edwards or Cardosa will commit soon too. My guess is that Cardosa will go to Uconn as well. With Ono and piath, if Cardosa commits,. that would be 3 bodies 6'5 with point guards to complement for days.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Welcome to UCONN Piath! Some welcome size!

Know very little about her save for what I've read lately. Seems to be a rising player with lots of upside, and rather raw. Can't teach height. Hopefully with the UCONN coaching, she can achieve a lot of PT success and productivity...

Reaction Score
The UConn women’s basketball team landed 2020 recruit Piath Gabriel Thursday morning.
Gabriel, listed as a 6′5 center is from Manchester, New Hampshire, plays at Bradford Christian Academy in Massachusetts. She tweeted her commitment.
“Thank you to everyone who has supported and helped create me into the athlete I am today,” she wrote in the tweet. “Before all else, I want to thank God and my family for all their love and support....With all that being said, I would like to announce my commitment to the University of Connecticut.”

Reaction Score
Finally a big after several frustrating seasons not being able to recruit one. I wonder if that means Cardoso will go else where or what impact it will have on Omari for 2021.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

This is great news. I read the posts about her written earlier in the week. I glanced at this one, and had to look at it again to see if I saw what I thought it read.

How nice to get a BIG that didn’t hold us hostage emotionally for months only to announce that she was going elsewhere. Now, how will this effect or impact Amari DeBerry’s decision? Is she a UConn lean? If she is, will this commitment cause her to look more seriously at other programs? I hope not. I’ve been hoping DeBerry comes to UConn for the last 2 years.

Geno and Chris Daley will transform and grow her into the very best player she can be. They will not allow her to cheat her potential. She would be ready for play at the next level in 4 years, as will Piath. I want 6-6 post Kamilla Cardosa (2020) ranked # 5 overall / #1 position rank also. I’m not dismissing her at all. There’s plenty of room/playing time for her too. ;)

This was a great summer for UConn recruiting wise. They pulled in some excellent recruits with top notch potential. A tip o' the turban to Geno and staff for their tireless and relentless efforts this spring and summer. I like ALL of the recruits they were able to secure, and eagerly look forward to seeing them between the lines in the coming months. :)

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This is what Jody Demling (covers Louisville) wrote about Gabriel a month ago:

Skinny: Louisville made her a serious priority this summer; we believe that she will make an official visit in late September and the Cards have a shot.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wait what? Isn't she like 6-5???? What's going on???

:D :D :D :D
Someone somewhere must have reversed the numbers. Or by the time she hits campus she'll be 5'11". Or maybe someone has Gabriel Piath confused with Edith Piaf. No matter, welcome Husky for life!

Reaction Score
Finally a big after several frustrating seasons not being able to recruit one. I wonder if that means Cardoso will go else where or what impact it will have on Amari DeBerry.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is great news. I read the posts about her written earlier in the week. I glanced at this one , and had to look at it again to see if I saw what I thought it read.

Now nice to get a BIG that didn’t hold us hostage emotionally for months until she decided to announce her choice. Now, how will this effect or impact Amari DeBerry’s decision? Is she a UConn lean? If she is, will this commitment cause her to look more seriously at other programs? I hope not. I’ve been hoping DeBerry comes to UConn for the last 2 years.

Geno and Chris Daley will transform and grow her into the very best player she can be. They will not allow her to cheat her potential. She would be ready for play at the next level in 4 years.
Good questions. However both Oregon and Baylor have had no problem integrating multiple bigs. Hopefully someone will point that out to Ms. Cardoso and Ms. Berry in the interim.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good questions. However both Oregon and Baylor have had no problem integrating multiple bigs. Hopefully someone will point that out to Ms. Cardoso and Ms. Berry in the interim.

Exactly!!

Reaction Score
This is awesome.. Congrats Piath... I'm very happy with having a big body coming in next year. I feel that Edwards or Cardosa will commit soon too. My guess is that Cardosa will go to Uconn as well. With Ono and piath, if Cardosa commits,. that would be 3 bodies 6'5 with point guards to complement for days.

If Cardoso and Edwards both commit to UConn we could be on the verge of one of those really special Stewie-like runs!

Reaction Score

DeBerry and Cardoso will not be scared off by competition, they are 2 of the most college ready posts in the country!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is what Jody Demling (covers Louisville) wrote about Gabriel a month ago:

Skinny: Louisville made her a serious priority this summer; we believe that she will make an official visit in late September and the Cards have a shot.

Stealing one from Jeff is extra sweet. :D

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Geno and CD know how its done. Remember Steph, Stewie ad Kia.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With the BY discussion about Piath over the last few days, I got to thinking about Steph’s recruitment. As a HS junior, Steph was outside the top 50 on Hoopgurlz. She got the “UConn bump” as a senior up to 39, but she clearly was not a sure thing. While she had some basketball skills, Steph wasn’t in great condition and her athleticism could be questioned (Geno once berated her for not being able to jump as high as a sheet of paper.). When Geno explained what he liked about Steph when he recruited her, he explained that when he watched her play in a very physical HS game, Steph got knocked to the floor several times. Each time she quickly got up and sprinted down the floor to get back into the game. Of course Steph went on to become a 2x AA & National Champion at UConn as well as a very good pro. It would be interesting to know what qualities Geno sees in Piath that convinced him to offer her a scholarship.

One additional thought. Geno and John Calipari are good friends, going all the way back to Calipari’s coaching days at UMass. I have to wonder if Geno got any input on the Gabriel family, specifically KY player Wenyen Gabriel relative to motivation, effort, athleticism, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom