2020 off-season transfers | Page 46 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Baylor needed some more punch for their guard play. That’s a very nice pick up up. I wonder if Jaden Owens gets a waiver since Mikesell got one.....
According to this article, McDaniel will need a waiver as well:

“McDaniel and Owens are standard transfers who, according to current NCAA rules, will have to sit out the upcoming season and then become eligible for the 2021-22 season.”

Reaction Score
This is the strange part. I get the longjam. We have all seen very good players get in a numbers situation. With her size and resume it’s a little perplexing that she ended up in Portland. Like one of the other posters stated, it could have been a comfort level with fellow Australian players already there.
She had also originally transferred to Duke before Lawson did not honor her commitment. Maybe not as many schools reached out the second time around.

Portland was also a tournament team last season, and their top two players were a freshman and sophomore.

Reaction Score
According to this article, McDaniel will need a waiver as well:

“McDaniel and Owens are standard transfers who, according to current NCAA rules, will have to sit out the upcoming season and then become eligible for the 2021-22 season.”

Will be a very nice spark next year if she doesn’t get the waiver.

Curious how waivers will work this offseason, I’m still not sure how Mikesell got approved. Watch Austin get denied at OM:rolleyes:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Seems like Mikesell was one of the last to select a transfer school, but one of the first to have a decision provided on her waiver request. I guess not every transfer school submitted waiver requests immediately after signing their transfers; perhaps many were waiting to see how things unfolded this summer with so much uncertainty regarding the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
This ought to be good.
Could be they are blocking her from transferring to a Big12 school which was part of her original dismissal? Not sure how that works given her path back "home". That would imply Lamar since Beaumont, TX is/was her hometown.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Could be they are blocking her from transferring to a Big12 school which was part of her original dismissal? Not sure how that works given her path back "home". That would imply Lamar since Beaumont, TX is/was her hometown.
There's no "blocking" ever since the transfer portal was created in October 2018 (although some waivers have to be granted if grad-transerring within the Big 12 conference). Since she has attended Rutgers since leaving Baylor, she would not have transferred directly from one Big 12 school to another; so, no loss of a year of eligibility since no intra-conference rule broken.

BTW -- have no idea what her tweet means other than it was directed at Baylor.

Reaction Score
There's no "blocking" ever since the transfer portal was created in October 2018 (although some waivers have to be granted if grad-transerring within the Big 12 conference). Since she has attended Rutgers since leaving Baylor, she would not have transferred directly from one Big 12 school to another; so, no loss of a year of eligibility since no intra-conference rule broken.

BTW -- have no idea what her tweet means other than it was directed at Baylor.
Thank you. I had no idea how this works.

Reaction Score
If you look at her Twitter she is conversing with a former Waco sports talk radio host and host on the Baylor fan forum. He's angling for an interview after the dust settles it looks like. Let's see how this plays out.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm definitely pretty bad at decoding youthful tweets:

I did think she would make it back to Texas.

A&M? Maybe Baylor but I wouldn't think so.

Reaction Score
Alexis Morris: suspended at Baylor, arrested for assault, dismissed from Baylor, arrested for drug charges, issues at Rutgers, in transfer portal........despite her obvious talent, does anyone think that major programs are lining up to add her to their roster?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Alexis Morris: suspended at Baylor, arrested for assault, dismissed from Baylor, arrested for drug charges, issues at Rutgers, in transfer portal........despite her obvious talent, does anyone think that major programs are lining up to add her to their roster?
There's a difference between being arrested, and being convicted.

Yes, some head coaches believe in giving a player a second (or third) chance. Didn't Mulkey allow Bernice Mosby to transfer to Baylor despite being dismissed by Florida?

Reaction Score
There's a difference between being arrested, and being convicted.

Yes, some head coaches believe in giving a player a second (or third) chance. Didn't Mulkey allow Bernice Mosby to transfer to Baylor despite being dismissed by Florida?

Morris entered a plea arrangement on both charges [which is the same as a conviction in Texas]. Mosby got in a fight with a teammate and walked out on a game. She wasn’t charged or arrested [no criminal issues whatsoever]. Carolyn Peck talked with Kim Mulkey about taking Mosby. Not sure your analysis lines up.

Many coaches offer a 2nd chance. This is a 4th chance [two at Baylor plus one at Rutgers].

Reaction Score
Morris entered a plea arrangement on both charges [which is the same as a conviction in Texas]. Mosby got in a fight with a teammate and walked out on a game. She wasn’t charged or arrested [no criminal issues whatsoever]. Carolyn Peck talked with Kim Mulkey about taking Mosby. Not sure your analysis lines up.

Many coaches offer a 2nd chance. This is a 4th chance [two at Baylor plus one at Rutgers].
If I recall, baylor wanted to give Morris another chance but she messed up again! I remember she stayed on campus even after she was suspended the first tome

Reaction Score
If I recall, baylor wanted to give Morris another chance but she messed up again! I remember she stayed on campus even after she was suspended the first tome

Morris broke team rules [general behavior and grades/class attendance] and was suspended at the end of her freshman year. As with every suspension under Coach Mulkey, Morris had two thresholds to meet: (1) no further problems, & (2) satisfy the “public service” requirements. Less than 4 months later she was arrested for assault and was hopelessly behind in meeting the public service requirements. Either one was sufficient for her dismissal. Together it made the dismissal certain. Coach Mulkey agreed to help Morris find a new school under certain conditions. That agreement is what got Morris the spot at Rutgers. Now Morris is trying to avoid the terms of that deal. Don’t expect Baylor/Mulkey to agree. The public campaign will only make the request more unlikely to occur.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Baylor needed some more punch for their guard play. That’s a very nice pick up up. I wonder if Jaden Owens gets a waiver since Mikesell got one.....

Oh it depends on the committee's mood that morning.

**I shouldn't be so hard on the committee since I in general think that judgment is something that someone has to exercise and it's hard to fault them without being in their shoes. But I think creating an ad hoc and unpredictable system is bad policy. Have it one way or the other in my view.

Reaction Score

It is odd that Oregon State loses 6'7" backup center Patricia Morris (transferred) but then soon
replaces the vacant spot on the roster with a 6'4" forward. Subasic can hit the 3 (at a 40% clip)
so she will be a good backup to Taya Corosdale. Oh, and she joins 6'9" fellow Serbian Jalena Mitrovic...
could lead to some interesting "private" conversations on the floor :)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It is odd that Oregon State loses 6'7" backup center Patricia Morris (transferred) but then soon
replaces the vacant spot on the roster with a 6'4" forward. Subasic can hit the 3 (at a 40% clip)
so she will be a good backup to Taya Corosdale. Oh, and she joins 6'9" fellow Serbian Jalena Mitrovic...
could lead to some interesting "private" conversations on the floor :)
Based on what I saw from her at Washington State, Subasic is a player who somehow plays smaller than her height. Not particularly physical and doesn't really assert herself in the paint as her height would suggest she should. But as you say, she can shoot and, if for no other reason than that, can certainly contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom