2020 off-season transfers | Page 37 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is a really unremarkable group of finalists outside of NC State. Huh. Well I wouldn't complain if she picked UW. Oregon St. fans were kinda hoping to get her, they could use another ball handling guard, but they aren't included.
It appears really good, quick, traditional PGs are just not all that interested in playing Scott Rueck's style of basketball...and/or maybe Perez didn't want to share PG duty with Goodman. Who knows for sure, except her and her confidants .

Reaction Score
So, with the recommendation of the NCAA Board of Directors to not allow 1-Time transfer free play (vote is May 20?) and the fact that MM has resigned, Niele Ivey taking over and that Niele has not made an announcement about her staff, which Mick Mabry is/was on, does Mabry the Younger (Dara) have to look at different options including going back to VPI? To me, she seems capable of playing and starting on most P5 teams and likely she wants in on a program that will make the NCAAT. Something seems odd that it's taken her this long to identify that next school considering most of us thought it was a foregone conclusion that destination was South Bend. So
, does a place like NC State seem a logical option?
Where's our resident "all things ND" colleagues @Dillon77 or @Orangutan with their insight? :rolleyes: Heck, even @CamrnCrz1974 might have an ACC slant on this one.

I think Mabrey would be an interesting fit for several teams, not even just in the ACC. I’d say NC State would probably be the best fit for her in conference. Outside of the ACC, I think teams like Missouri and DePaul are good fits based on playing styles. However, I’m not sure how their future rosters are looking.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think Mabrey would be an interesting fit for several teams, not even just in the ACC. I’d say NC State would probably be the best fit for her in conference. Outside of the ACC, I think teams like Missouri and DePaul are good fits based on playing styles. However, I’m not sure how their future rosters are looking.

5'8" guard Lauren Hansen, after opting out of Auburn, just announced her commitment to Missouri, so not sure they'll double down with another combo guard who leans toward shooting.

The conundrum with Mabrey, at least if you take her at face value, is that she wants to get the chance to play point guard, yet -- up to this point -- her major differentiator has been her three-point shooting. Is there a P5 team willing to hand her the reins while she brings those PG skills up to speed? Even in high school, she only played point one full season. (She did win a state title for Manasquan, but that was on a loaded team and it was still HS.)

The "looks like it's fading instant eligibility" clause could bite several athletes, but could hinder Dara in situations like DePaul, where the multi-faceted PG Kelly Campbell (led her team in assists and rebounds) has finally graduated. Mabrey could easily fit into Bruno's offense and he'd probably appreciate having another Jersey Shore conference player aboard.

On the other hand, a year off might help Mabrey work on the PG skillset, so she could offer a prospective school two solid years of dishing and long-distance shooting. I might suggest looking at Miami. Mabrey has some similar attributes to Laura Cornelius. Plus, Coach Katie Meier is a big fan of the Mabreys, having hired Michaela for her first job out of ND.

Lastly, I don't know how thngs went between Michaela and Coach Megan Duffy when Mike left Miami (of Ohio) after a mere one year to go to LSU. If they were ok, I could see Dara Mabrey at Marquette. Duffy was an undersized, fiery and vocal point guard at ND and has good luck coaching undersized guards who can score (Katelynn Flaherty at Michigan, Lauren Dickerson at Miami of Ohio).

Reaction Score
Looks like Rokia Doumbia is heading to Purdue (based on an Arkansas teammate’s instagram post). Purdue gets a super athletic guard/wing who’s a tough defender. I don’t follow the Boilermakers, so I don’t know if she’ll fill a need on the roster, though it does look like Purdue has a lot of young guards. Doumbia is a really good kid, though. Wish her well in West Lafayette.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Certainly the best program among her finalists. That's a big step up from Cal State Fullerton.

So...how does she have a picture in an NC State uniform? Are some of these done digitally? I don't think she even announced she was transferring prior to the covid 19 shutdown.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Certainly the best program among her finalists. That's a big step up from Cal State Fullerton.

So...how does she have a picture in an NC State uniform? Are some of these done digitally? I don't think she even announced she was transferring prior to the covid 19 shutdown.

Photoshop is a wonderful thing.

5BF780A2-A9FE-48B4-946A-27A4BD65C94D.jpeg

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to Emer Nichols? Played at Texas A&M in 2017-18. Transferred to Florida and sat out the 2018-19 season. Played a few games in November 2019, and then it was tweeted that she was no longer on the Gators' WBB roster.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Based off her social media followings, it appears Mikesell might be headed to Oregon. Very good fit for her if she does go that route.

How many scholarship spots do they have? Could they take both Mikesell and Carrington?

Reaction Score
Based off her social media followings, it appears Mikesell might be headed to Oregon. Very good fit for her if she does go that route.

My thoughts as well. When looking at Carrington's social media, she started following more Baylor people (2 additional Baylor staff member). Who knows at this point. I figured Oregon would be the favorite for her but I don't know if she ends up there.

Reaction Score
How many scholarship spots do they have? Could they take both Mikesell and Carrington?
I would think so. Two players transferred out, so at least two spots should be open.

Reaction Score
Boley replacement.....

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I would think so. Two players transferred out, so at least two spots should be open.

But they already replaced the two transfers and three draftees with this year’s freshmen class.

Was just wondering...

Reaction Score
But they already replaced the two transfers and three draftees with this year’s freshmen class.

Was just wondering...
The Aussie Cochrane and Winterburn from England left and that is the two slots open.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

“The biggest thing was the culture coach (Kelly) Graves has built," she said. "I had talked to a lot of different players – past and present – so being able to talk to them about how he conducts his program was big. The program has a winning culture and I obviously want to win. It was culture, the coach and the basketball fit. The on-court fit was pretty perfect for me, so being able to go make plays is something I wanted this time around. I thought it was a perfect fit.”

Reaction Score
I’m curious as to why she thinks she wouldn’t have to sit out. Perhaps more behind it than the article, but seemed it was more about playing style and coaching staff.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I’m curious as to why she thinks she wouldn’t have to sit out. Perhaps more behind it than the article, but seemed it was more about playing style and coaching staff.

The article author indicates it is likely she would need to sit out. Of course the player is hoping and trying to wish it into reality

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I’m curious as to why she thinks she wouldn’t have to sit out.
She didn't say that.

“I really want to play," she said. "Sitting out is not what I want to do. I knew going into the portal that sitting out was a possibility. It’s all up in the air. I’m hopeful, because me playing right away is the angle.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of people at Maryland thought Mikesell should go to a less visible program. Even though she is a very good shooter, she is still very limited. Her defense is mediocre even though she made big strides her sophomore year. She has solid handles but not great and her assist numbers are pretty poor for a PG. She had that period in Thanksgiving through early January where her shooting was awful. She was terrible at the Thanksgiving tournament in Daytona Beach. (something like 1 for 12 from the field).

But Oregon should be happy because they are getting a very hard worker. I think Maryland comes out ahead with Bibby, Benzan (happy birthday) and Kozlova. Kozlova has better handles and shoot just as well as Mikesell plus she is a better defensive player.

Reaction Score
A lot of people at Maryland thought Mikesell should go to a less visible program. Even though she is a very good shooter, she is still very limited. Her defense is mediocre even though she made big strides her sophomore year. She has solid handles but not great and her assist numbers are pretty poor for a PG. She had that period in Thanksgiving through early January where her shooting was awful. She was terrible at the Thanksgiving tournament in Daytona Beach. (something like 1 for 12 from the field).

But Oregon should be happy because they are getting a very hard worker. I think Maryland comes out ahead with Bibby, Benzan (happy birthday) and Kozlova. Kozlova has better handles and shoot just as well as Mikesell plus she is a better defensive player.
Who is Kozlova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul