2020 off-season transfers | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sara Bejedi and Emma Clarke are a couple of Pac-12 names I had missed from a couple days ago.

Clarke is a big loss for Colorado; she was the #3 scorer this past season.

Bejedi wasn't a major piece for ASU this past season, but she figured to be a big part of the rebuilding plan for ASU's backcourt, which takes a huge hit from graduation.
Bejedi may be a casualty of the shared minutes/hockey line substituting that ASU employs. Impossible to keep stars happy in that system. Incoming players must buy in to the reality that one must truly share playing time when playing for CTT. Inevitably, players want more minutes and consider going elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Bejedi may be a casualty of the shared minutes/hockey line substituting that ASU employs. Impossible to keep stars happy in that system. Incoming players must buy in to the reality that one must truly share playing time when playing for CTT. Inevitably, players want more minutes and consider going elsewhere.
That's possible. I think more likely is as an undersized guard I noticed that she had a lot of difficulty defensively.

Watching her as the season went on she really had a tendency to easily be posted up. She can shoot though.

I think in her very first game she knocked down three threes and scored 12 points. Of course it was against Army and she was wide open.

Regardless I wish her the best wherever she ends up.

This was an unusual year for ASU. Eve Rudin the six-foot-five girl who hadn't developed very much transferred before the season even started. I can't remember the last time that ASU had two transfers in a season.

But as has been expressed elsewhere on the BY young people are changing and players are much more willing to move on.

Reaction Score
That's possible. I think more likely is as an undersized guard I noticed that she had a lot of difficulty defensively.

Watching her as the season went on she really had a tendency to easily be posted up. She can shoot though.

I think in her very first game she knocked down three threes and scored 12 points. Of course it was against Army and she was wide open.

Regardless I wish her the best wherever she ends up.

This was an unusual year for ASU. Eve Rudin the six-foot-five girl who hadn't developed very much transferred before the season even started. I can't remember the last time that ASU had two transfers in a season.

But as has been expressed elsewhere on the BY young people are changing and players are much more willing to move on.
Bejedi has quickness and seemed to attempt to get charges frequently rather than simply bodying up and moving her feet. With Richardson and Ryan likely gone assuming the NCAA doesn't grant the extra year, I thought that she could have handled the ball or played the 2 a lot for ASU in '20-'21.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Today's youngsters will see nothing wrong with notifying a coach by text rather than in person or actually making a phone call. I'm hoping there are still parents who will correct this.
That's funny! If that were the case, they would not have done it in the first place...:oops:

Reaction Score
Bejedi has quickness and seemed to attempt to get charges frequently rather than simply bodying up and moving her feet. With Richardson and Ryan likely gone assuming the NCAA doesn't grant the extra year, I thought that she could have handled the ball or played the 2 a lot for ASU in '20-'21.
Absolutely agree. Sara would have had a great deal of playing time if not have the opportunity to start.

Who were you referring to about an extra year of eligibility?

Reaction Score
I noticed it Morgan Gary NAU sophomore backup guard entered the transfer portal. Gary had some backup minutes I think she was second guard off the bench this past season and was an outstanding rebounder with an unreliable shot.

Gary from Washington was in the second recruiting class for Loree Payne. Hope she finds a landing spot that allows her to demonstrate her skills.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That program has absolutely no chance if everyone keeps getting injured or transferring out.
I think that's their top 3 scorers from this season who are in the portal.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Although I generally loathe the transfer culture that has emerged in WCBB, I'm not going to lie, I appreciate you guys dribbling out every single update, because it's about the only news to keep us WCBB fans going... Well, that and Dawn's Mythical National Championship. (I have the Gonzaga Orcs at -7 over the Iowa Elves.)

Reaction Score
That is correct. I hate it for Coach Yo. From everything I’ve seen she seems to be a good person and pretty decent coach.
I too am impressed with Coach Yo. The program has been through so much turmoil the past decade it will just take time but she has he work cut out for her if she can't manage to keep a roster steady.

More and more players are opting to transfer for a wide variety of reasons and no program is immune to it. Still, it's a major reversal of fortunes to see Mississippi State women be so successful and to see Ole Miss struggle for this long because it was the exact opposite many years ago.

Reaction Score
That is correct. I hate it for Coach Yo. From everything I’ve seen she seems to be a good person and pretty decent coach.

Ole Miss was so beyond pitiful this past season that I find it difficult to believe that anyone leaving could be all that big a deal.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has had two players leave the team – transfer guard Alexis Morris and heralded freshman center Maori Davenport – in recent days, Stringer confirmed. Guard Noga Peleg-Pelc, who is from Israel, also left the team midseason. Distance from home can be a factor, Stringer said, but it is just one of many challenges her program has to face going forward.

Reaction Score
I believe Lauren Ebo is transferring from Penn State, which would be their fourth. A ton of players who went to HS at Riverdale Baptist are transferring.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Thanks for passing this along. As you might guess, this has generated a bunch of chatter over on McGraw's Bench, as have Coach McGraw's (MM) comments on transfers.

As for Ms. Green:
- While not tall, seems to be a strong, very physical player who has "played up" at power forward and center, while leading Liberty to a 20 win season.
- Her high school team seems to be in the same league as Friends, where ND's current center, Mik Vaughn, went to high school (until transferring to Paul VI her senior year). So, there could be a Philly prep connection.
- Most could see her spelling Vaughn, given that both are still recovering from injuries, as well as helping out against larger teams. This could allow Sam Brunelle and Maddy Westbeld to step outside the paint on offense.
- As for the stuff below, my question was if MM made these comments before she was aware of the raft of other portal announcements, most notably for the forwards from Maryland (Austin, Owens) and point guard from Va. Tech (that Mabrey character ;))
- ND will 12 people on the roster at the start of the 2020-21 season (knock on wood) and 11 at the 2021-22 season. If a Green or another transfer comes aboard, add one to the appropriate year.

Transfer Prospects
If an individual is the right fit for the program, McGraw ideally would like to add either a graduate transfer at point guard or in the low post.
“What we really need still need is a clear leader, somebody who’s been there and can lead a young team of freshmen and sophomores,” McGraw said. “What you also look for is, ‘Can she do something that nobody else does?’
“At point guard I think we’ll be fine with Katlyn and Alasia, but if there is somebody out there who has played in the Final Four, then we would look at her.”
A prime target is 6-1 Liberty graduate transfer, a former Big South Player of the Year in Keyen Green, who received her undergraduate degree in May 2019 and is working on her MBA.
“Team chemistry is really important,” McGraw emphasized. “We will have a pretty full roster and we think we’ve addressed our needs. We’ll see what we have out there.”

Reaction Score
Sara Bejedi and Emma Clarke are a couple of Pac-12 names I had missed from a couple days ago.

Clarke is a big loss for Colorado; she was the #3 scorer this past season.

Bejedi wasn't a major piece for ASU this past season, but she figured to be a big part of the rebuilding plan for ASU's backcourt, which takes a huge hit from graduation.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wow! That was quick. I'd love to see a timeline of how that recruiting process went.

Boulder to Lubbock. Not exactly an upgrade in most people's books.

Also interesting because Tech seems to have plenty of guards/wings, and this doesn't address their immediate roster need for a forward/center, as Brewer is their only graduation loss and they had basically no one to back her up this season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Although I generally loathe the transfer culture that has emerged in WCBB, I'm not going to lie, I appreciate you guys dribbling out every single update, because it's about the only news to keep us WCBB fans going... Well, that and Dawn's Mythical National Championship. (I have the Gonzaga Orcs at -7 over the Iowa Elves.)
You're really good at this parody thing :D I appreciate the sense of humor. Please keep it coming.

It occurred to me last year that the emerging transfer culture has brought drama and some surprise to what used to be very a very un-newsworthy postseason period, aside from the usual smattering of coaching changes (of which there have been almost none this season, curiously).

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
You're really good at this parody thing :D I appreciate the sense of humor. Please keep it coming.

It occurred to me last year that the emerging transfer culture has brought drama and some surprise to what used to be very a very un-newsworthy postseason period, aside from the usual smattering of coaching changes (of which there have been almost none this season, curiously).
Could be because of the pandemic going on??? Schools could fire their coach but replacing one might be hard to do unless the AD doesn't have a problem doing everything remotely. Of course if the AD has a candidate that is available and/or is already willing to come to the school then the contract negotiations would be the only thing in the way.
Or maybe ADs just don't feel like now is the right time to be firing an employee.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Isn't Liberty the school founded by Jerry Falwell? If so, that's quite the transition just in terms of religious affiliation. I'm surprised @triaddukefan hasn't chimed in on this one yet :cool:
Yes, Liberty was founded by Jerry Falwell and is now run by Jerry Falwell, Jr., the President of the university.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom