2020 off-season transfers | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pure guess on my part but I think Auburn had high hopes for a really good season. They had talent but their record was not as good as the talent. Talent likes to win so they may just want to go somewhere to win.

Here is a completely hypothetical assessment. Maybe the Auburn style of manic press defense may tire some players and distort players evolving on the offensive end ?? That + disappointing record ??

Reaction Score
Her dad says Austin wants to develop a more "versatile game" including an outside shot. Not an unusual theme among bigs.
Than come to UConn. All the recent UConn bigs have had an all around game. Look at them. All of them in the WNBA play the 4 and some the 3. Stewie, Tuck, Tina, Dolson, Napheesa...Azure if she would have stuck it out instead of cutting and running. I mean really only Stokes actually plays the 5 and that's because she is more defensive minded. Liv is similar so more offensive minded bigs would be great partners for Liv.

Reaction Score
Her dad says Austin wants to develop a more "versatile game" including an outside shot. Not an unusual theme among bigs.
Well does she have an outside shot?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Austin didn't start because she was late for a team meeting. She did that several times in her two years at Maryland.

Deserved. No coach of an elite program would accept that.

I was always intrigued by Austin. She completely tore us up her freshman year (when we had no real inside presence to neutralize her). This year Boston completely took her lunch money. I saw no inclination to get physical inside.

IMO, her next destination is going to be a school that allows her to play some kind of 4 while occasionally hanging out on the wing, reminds me of A'ja Wilson's senior season.. mostly a power forward, but occasionally on the wing and bringing the ball up.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Than come to UConn. All the recent UConn bigs have had an all around game. Look at them. All of them in the WNBA play the 4 and some the 3. Stewie, Tuck, Tina, Dolson, Napheesa...Azure if she would have stuck it out instead of cutting and running. I mean really only Stokes actually plays the 5 and that's because she is more defensive minded. Liv is similar so more offensive minded bigs would be great partners for Liv.

There's speculation that part of why Stevens left early is that she wanted to play on the perimeter more while Geno wanted her in the post. I'm guessing Austin knows this. If Austin comes to UCONN I cant imagine she plays a much more versatile role than she did at Maryland, especially with ONO/Bueckers/Williams on the roster. She'd be better suited going to a program where she's a bigger fish in a small pond if she wants to have a more prominent role.

Reaction Score
Deserved. No coach of an elite program would accept that.

I was always intrigued by Austin. She completely tore us up her freshman year (when we had no real inside presence to neutralize her). This year Boston completely took her lunch money. I saw no inclination to get physical inside.

IMO, her next destination is going to be a school that allows her to play some kind of 4 while occasionally hanging out on the wing, reminds me of A'ja Wilson's senior season.. mostly a power forward, but occasionally on the wing and bringing the ball up.
Bringing the ball up? I can’t think of one coach who would sell her that dream

Reaction Score
Lastly, Brenda seems to go after A listers...and lots of them. Austin, Collins, Reese are all top candidates and even Owens was Top 50. That leaves Faith Masonius as the one "glue" player. Perhaps this approach is part of the issue?
This has always been a problem I've had with Brenda (and other major players in WCBB do this as well). It is a case of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Maryland was at their best when they had Alyssa Thomas and a bunch of supporting players. You need good players but everyone can't be a superstar on the same team. That just doesn't work. In the NBA, you have the Big 3. That can work in college basketball but some players just want to be alphas. Austin I believe is one of those players in addition to Austin wanting to be a 3/4 player instead of a post. Her father was surprised of her announcement to transfer.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This has always been a problem I've had with Brenda (and other major players in WCBB do this as well). It is a case of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Maryland was at their best when they had Alyssa Thomas and a bunch of supporting players. You need good players but everyone can't be a superstar on the same team. That just doesn't work. In the NBA, you have the Big 3. That can work in college basketball but some players just want to be alphas. Austin I believe is one of those players in addition to Austin wanting to be a 3/4 player instead of a post. Her father was surprised of her announcement to transfer.

What's funny is I thought Maryland was set up really well to have her be their alpha inside and the roster makeup would've allowed her to spend time in the high post offensively. If Austin wanted to have more of a face up perimeter game, in theory Maryland would do quite well with her in the high post since Miller/Reese/Owusu are strong off the dribble and Austin flashing out high creates open lanes for those guards/wings to get to the basket.

Austin likely wasnt ever going to be the true go to at Maryland but based on roster personnel I thought she had a good situation to mix it up and play inside and out if she could consistently hit open midrange looks.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sara Bejedi and Emma Clarke are a couple of Pac-12 names I had missed from a couple days ago.

Clarke is a big loss for Colorado; she was the #3 scorer this past season.

Bejedi wasn't a major piece for ASU this past season, but she figured to be a big part of the rebuilding plan for ASU's backcourt, which takes a huge hit from graduation.

Reaction Score
Sara Bejedi and Emma Clarke are a couple of Pac-12 names I had missed from a couple days ago.

Bejedi wasn't a major piece for ASU this past season, but she figured to be a big part of the rebuilding plan for ASU's backcourt, which takes a huge hit from graduation.
Sorry to see Clarke leave. Colorado was getting better and better.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Did anyone mention that Maori Davenport is transferring from Rutgers. She'll have plenty of suitors.

Yes, I seem to recall reading that about her decision here, because I then posted it over on The Bench.
If memory holds, Rutgers was the only northern school on her finalist list (Louisville was also, but let's consider that "a border state"), so perhaps she'll first look at some of those: Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State. Would seem Davenport and Louisville's Elizabeth Dixon bring a lot of the same attributes, but Walz did -- to the best of my morning haze -- coach her for the U.S. National team. Stay tuned.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, I seem to recall reading that about her decision here, because I then posted it over on The Bench.
If memory holds, Rutgers was the only northern school on her finalist list (Louisville was also, but let's consider that "a border state"), so perhaps she'll first look at some of those: Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State. Would seem Davenport and Louisville's Elizabeth Dixon bring a lot of the same attributes, but Walz did -- to the best of my morning haze -- coach her for the U.S. National team. Stay tuned.
Davenport looked her best at USA basketball when Jeff was coaching, expect Louisville to have some interest and perhaps her next destination. Also keep in mind that she lost her senior year of HS because USA basketball gave her too much money and the good folks in the Alabama HS athletic association saw fit to punish her. @UcMiami said the same above.

Reaction Score
Walz would have to remove someone from the team to accept a transfer. They’re at the limit.

Reaction Score
Knowing Stockpile Walz he probably wants to remove two players so he can double on more talent get both Austin and Davenport. Dana Evans is draft eligible, I don’t think she’ll declare but you never know these days; could be a spot should that happen.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

as did I on some post here or The Bench. Can you say "Steve Savarese?" :eek:
As per Ms. Davenport, I'm completely with you that Jeff will at the very least, make contact with Maori.
While offensively a bit all over the place, I remember that team was pretty hard-nosed on defense and in the paint. Anaya Peoples had a good run, as well.

Reaction Score
Davenport in garnet and gold? Come on back down south Maori! Her hometown is only a 3 hours drive from Tally.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Has M Davenport given a reason for leaving?
Not that I know of, but I would suspect in the end it was a combination of:

- she probably didn't get the minutes she expected, possibly for unknown reasons but more likely
-- she wasn't ready (most freshmen aren't) for Vivian's style, but this was made worse by missing so much of the prior season. Put bluntly, RU fans felt she was a bit out of shape and slow, I don't know because I follow RU from afar and apparently she needed some slower development.
-- because of this, she was deemed (by the fans) to be especially not quite "there" yet on defense; that is primary in Viv's mind

- it is anyone's guess about how the style of play being asked for matched her expectations, how she reacted about being in the north, actually playing for CVS, etc.

Reaction Score

Did not see announcement on Sara Bejedi. That will be a loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger