2020 College Summer Ball - UConn players | The Boneyard

2020 College Summer Ball - UConn players

Reaction Score
I guess it is never too early to start this thread on where UConn players will be playing in the various summer baseball collegiate leagues. As always, the info in this thread is always subject to change.

Cape Cod League

Reggie Crawford - Bourne Braves
Kyler Fedko - Bourne Braves

New England Collegiate Baseball League

Ben Maycock - Mystic Schooners
Max Nielsen - Mystic Schooners
Sam Favieri - Mystic Schooners
Leif Bigelow - Keene Swamp Bats
Patrick Gallagher - Keene Swamp Bats
Zach Bushling - Keene Swamp Bats
Garrett Coe - Bristol Blues

Last edited:
Reaction Score

>>The NECBL will likely decide on April 19, the date of the next league-wide conference call between the 13 teams. The summer league, which features teams from all six New England states, usually runs from early June to early August.<<

Reaction Score
There still may be some hope for the summer collegiate baseball leagues, even though at this point I am guessing sports will be a no go this summer. My wife and I know a couple from our UConn days who has a son who plays Division 3 baseball, and is slated to play in the New York Collegiate Baseball League (NYCBL) this summer. Our friends just told us that they have been informed that the NYCBL is going to try to play this summer, even if it is an abbreviated schedule. We'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this is not a surprise.

Oh it wasn’t a complete surprise. Bad time to be flying kids in from all over the country, placing them w/ host families and finalizing local jobs for 8 weeks. Shame tho’

Reaction Score
Oh it wasn’t a complete surprise. Bad time to be flying kids in from all over the country, placing them w/ host families and finalizing local jobs for 8 weeks. Shame tho’

The collegiate summer leagues and some minor league teams such as the Norwich team rely very heavily on host families to house players during the summer while these leagues are active. I expect this will be a big reason why these leagues might get cancelled this summer, as it will be hard to get people in the community to host these players this summer. Not to mention social distancing at ballparks, among other reasons.

Reaction Score
First time since 1946 no Cape Cod League...

The story linked in this tweet lists the current status of various collegiate summer leagues on when they may start up, if at all:

>Collegiate Summer League Statuses
Alaska Baseball League: TBD
Arizona Wood Bat League: Early July
Atlantic Collegiate League: TBD
California Collegiate League: TBD
Cal Ripken League: July 1
Cape Cod League: Canceled
Carolina-Virginia League: TBD
Coastal Plain League: Late May
Corn Belt Summer League: TBD
Cotton States Baseball League: TBD
Expedition League: May 26
Florida Collegiate League: May 29
Futures League: TBD
Golden State Collegiate League: Canceled
Great Lakes Summer Collegiate: As planned, without three teams
Hamptons Collegiate Baseball League: TBD
Jayhawk League: TBD
Midwest Collegiate League: June 10
MINK League: June 15, July 1 at latest
New England Collegiate League: TBD
New York Collegiate League: TBD
Northwoods League: TBD
Pacific International League, TBD, but intends to pla
Perfect Game Collegiate League: TBD
Prospect League: May 28
Rocky Mountain Collegiate League: Plans to play
San Diego Collegiate League: May 31
Southern Collegiate League: TBD
South Florida Collegiate League: TBD
SunBelt League: TBD
Sun Belt League (Arizona): No change
Texas Collegiate League: July 3 (or earlier)
Valley League: Canceled
West Coast League: TBD
Western Baseball Association: Plans to play<

Reaction Score

>>"The writing was on the wall," Long said on Friday. "When the Cape Cod League canceled last week, the knee-jerk reaction from a lot of the (NECBL) general managers was to follow them and cancel, but we had made a pretty thorough investigation of the whole scenario and really held to May 1st as our deadline. I'm glad we did because with each day we see more and more of the landscape of the summer in front of us. This last week made the decision even easier."

There were just too many hurdles to clear to even try to play baseball.

The NECBL has 13 teams spread across all six New England states, which are all at different stages of recovery. It would be extremely difficult to meet social gathering restrictions even without fans in attendance. Plus, it would have been challenging to brin in players from all around the country and find enough host families for them.<<

>>There's still a possibility there will be summer collegiate baseball in the New England area. The Futures Collegiate Baseball League officials remain optimistic about playing sometime this season, according to its website. The league has delayed the start of the season, which was set to begin on May 27, to a yet to be determined date.

Of the seven Futures teams, five reside in Massachusetts (Brockton, North Shore, Pittsfield, Worcester and Westfield), one in Connecticut (New Britain) and one in New Hampshire (Nashua).<<

Reaction Score
The story linked in this tweet lists the current status of various collegiate summer leagues on when they may start up, if at all:

>Collegiate Summer League Statuses
Alaska Baseball League: TBD
Arizona Wood Bat League: Early July
Atlantic Collegiate League: TBD
California Collegiate League: TBD
Cal Ripken League: July 1
Cape Cod League: Canceled
Carolina-Virginia League: TBD
Coastal Plain League: Late May
Corn Belt Summer League: TBD
Cotton States Baseball League: TBD
Expedition League: May 26
Florida Collegiate League: May 29
Futures League: TBD
Golden State Collegiate League: Canceled
Great Lakes Summer Collegiate: As planned, without three teams
Hamptons Collegiate Baseball League: TBD
Jayhawk League: TBD
Midwest Collegiate League: June 10
MINK League: June 15, July 1 at latest
New England Collegiate League: TBD
New York Collegiate League: TBD
Northwoods League: TBD
Pacific International League, TBD, but intends to pla
Perfect Game Collegiate League: TBD
Prospect League: May 28
Rocky Mountain Collegiate League: Plans to play
San Diego Collegiate League: May 31
Southern Collegiate League: TBD
South Florida Collegiate League: TBD
SunBelt League: TBD
Sun Belt League (Arizona): No change
Texas Collegiate League: July 3 (or earlier)
Valley League: Canceled
West Coast League: TBD
Western Baseball Association: Plans to play<

The latest on whether or not various collegiate summer leagues may play this summer:

>
Alaska Baseball LeagueTBD
Arizona Wood Bat LeagueEarly July
Atlantic Collegiate LeagueTBD
California Collegiate LeagueJuly 1
Cal Ripken LeagueJuly 1
Cape Cod LeagueCanceled
Carolina-Virginia League TBD
Corn Belt Summer LeagueTBD
Cotton State Baseball LeagueTBD
Expedition LeagueMay 26
Florida Collegiate LeagueJune 29
Futures LeagueDelayed
Golden State Collegiate Lg.Canceled
Great Lakes Summer LeagueJuly 1
Hamptons Collegiate LeagueCanceled
MINK LeagueJune 15, July 1 (latest)
New England Collegiate Lg.Canceled
New York Collegiate LeagueJune 15
Northwoods LeagueTBD
Pacific International LeagueTBD
Perfect Game Collegiate Lg. TBD
Prospect LeagueJuly 1
Rocky Mountain Collegiate Lg. Plans to play
San Diego Collegiate Lg. May 31
Southern Collegiate LeagueTBD
South Florida Collegiate Lg. TBD
SunBelt LeagueTBD
Sun Belt League (Ariz.)TBD
Texas Collegiate LeagueJuly 3 (latest)
Valley Baseball LeagueCanceled
West Coast LeagueTBD
Western Baseball AssociationPlans to play<

Reaction Score

I've heard of this league before, but I always found it tough to get any news about it. To say that this league operates way under the radar may be a bit of an understatement. It gets virtually no publicity. Also, it is a league that even though it is in UConn's backyard, the Huskies have never publicized sending players to it before as far as I know. But in a summer like this, any port in a storm is a good one.

Reaction Score
Not that I have great confidence that they will actually play this summer, but Todd Petersen is on the New Britain Bees roster in the Futures League.

Reaction Score
Probably the most publicity the Connecticut Collegiate Baseball League has ever gotten. Says in the story that Colby Dunlop and Ben Maycock are also slated to play in this league, along with the previously mentioned Fedko's. Also incoming UConn recruit Phoenix Billings.

>“We’re staying very positive,” said Vincent, who has long been involved with American Legion baseball in Simsbury. “We are the only ballgame in town in that age group. I’ve never had rosters filled with Division I potential draftees. I’ve got three or four who’ve said they’ll play, but if they’re drafted they won’t come into the league.”

The CCBL, which has been around 13 years, is usually for younger college players, or Division II or III players, with the Cape League or the New England Collegiate Baseball League for more experienced, accomplished players.<

>“We’re not forcing anyone,” UConn coach Jim Penders said. "It’s a decision for the players and their families. The commuter aspect of this league, where players don’t have to travel, or stay with host families, they can live at home or in their college dorm room, it’s a good compromise.”<

>The plan is for small group practices, within state guidelines, in June, ramped-up practices when Phase 2 of reopening begins June 20, and a season that begins July 1 and runs through the playoffs the first week of August, with gatherings of up to 50 allowable. Team rosters will have 24 players, but only 18 at each game; pitchers who pitch the previous game, for instance, would not come to that day’s game.<

>“It’ll be the best baseball the CCBL has ever had,” Penders said, “it would be a nice thing for the state to take notice of.”<

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The Connecticut Collegiate Baseball League doesn't get a mention on this list of summer leagues. Just shows you just how high a profile this league has had in the past, pretty much nonexistent.

Reaction Score
The Connecticut Collegiate Baseball League doesn't get a mention on this list of summer leagues. Just shows you just how high a profile this league has had in the past, pretty much nonexistent.

CCBL is typically very low level for college summer ball. Maybe they’ll get better players with all the cancellations. My son was to play in NECBL, which was cancelled, so hoping to play in CCBL just to get some games in. Fedko brothers would also be a great upgrade in talent.

There’s a chance they can play, as there’s are no bus rides, limited host families, etc. but I’ve been told not to get my hopes up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom