2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 60 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Exactly Both. I sense a bit of split personality on this board sometimes. The board including me chides Geno for only having 3-4 options the last few years and then when he expands the number of options folks start asking which "one". Recruit both hard and see what happens. Until Deberry says yes, Geno can't and shouldn't make recruiting decisions based on her. I know we joke about Walz's recruiting and critique Geno's but I think there can be a happy middle ground, where UConn works about 8-10 players every year from all over the world and hope 3-4 say yes. Then if there is a transfer hear and there if a young woman can't handle the expectations than so be it.
That is exactly what UCONN does every year and I don't understand why some people don't understand this. Maybe it is because of the tendency to lump everything into that one word -recruiting. Some people will read: Geno is recruiting Cardosa, and take that to mean Geno's trying to convince her to come to UCONN. You used the word "works" a more accurate word is evaluate. Don't know if the name Olivia Owens will ring a bell for anyone but Geno went to see her play in NY state a few times. Owens is currently playing at Maryland. Geno was evaluating her on those visits and the decision that he had to make is can she help UCONN. Geno has a very calibrated (but not infallible) eye for these things. Once he make that decision he may extend an offer. Keep in mind that Gusters and DeBerry have already been offered by UCONN.
You name any recruiting year (including last year which some seems to obsess over and pronounce a failure) and I can tell you the 8-10 kids that UCONN evaluated. 8-10 is not enough given where UCONN is roster wise today. If you go a few post back you can clearly see that the evaluations for the class of 2020 has been expanded to 15 which includes Cardosa. IDK what will happen with Cardosa's evaluation but I guarantee you Geno will not extend an offer without seeing her play (probably multiple times). It doesn't matter how highly ranked Cardosa is in the class or what other schools have already offered. Kylee Watson was number 1 in the class and Cameron Brink was #2 when both players made unofficial visits to the UCONN campus. Neither was offered. Anaya Peoples and River Baldwin were two other highly ranked 2020 players that made unofficial visits to UCONN without receiving offers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Today's Basketball Without Borders game in full.
Muhl is #15
Edwards is # 24
Cardoso is #28
Bessoir is #26
All players:
Slu I think there may be a mix up on at least 1 number. #15 appears to be Bessoir not Muhl as you have above. Cardosa did not play and the tallest player on the floor for either team was #15. The jumpers she splashed was also a dead give away.
Wadoux the French PG is listed on the roster as #16 and I'm almost positive she was #29.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Slu I think there may be a mix up on at least 1 number. #15 appears to be Bessoir not Muhl as you have above. Cardosa did not play and the tallest player on the floor for either team was #15. The jumpers she splashed was also a dead give away.
Wadoux the French PG is listed on the roster as #16 and I'm almost positive she was #29.

The list put out seems to be off. There is a #1 that might be Muhl but no #1 listed.

Only a few minutes in and Edwards is very impressive.: a three, a block, and a runner off the bounce. Very lithe and athletic, not to mention long.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The list put out seems to be off. There is a #1 that might be Muhl but no #1 listed.
Only a few minutes in and Edwards is very impressive.: a three, a block, and a runner off the bounce. Very lithe and athletic, not to mention long.
I was just going to say #1 might be Muhl. #15 was the best player on the floor by a long shot, got to think that's Bessoir. Sign her up now!

Reactions: MTC

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I was just going to say #1 might be Muhl. #15 was the best player on the floor by a long shot, got to think that's Bessoir. Sign her up now!

I haven't finished watching it yet, but Edwards was named MVP.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nika Muhl is definitely #1 in blue.
Yea the jersey are reversible and they mixed the team up for the second half. Edwards was active but at times wild.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nika Muhl is definitely #1 in blue.

Muhl seemed to be a great ball handler and passer but she was front rimming every shot, even three free throws. Is that her reputation? Good handler and passer but no offense?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Muhl seemed to be a great ball handler and passer but she was front rimming every shot, even three free throws. Is that her reputation? Good handler and passer but no offense?

Think her shooting is a work in progress. She's had a terrible time hitting 3's in international competition, but she seemingly can score in a myriad of ways.

Reaction Score
Think her shooting is a work in progress. She's had a terrible time hitting 3's in international competition, but she seemingly can score in a myriad of ways.

interesting trade off compared to a player like Hailey Van Lith..............

Reaction Score
I’m not very good with these European leagues, but it looks like her ZKK TRESNJEVKA team is playing in two leagues, WABA and Croatia - A1. Looks like WABA is much more competitive and has teams from multiple countries.

In WABA, where her team is 0-11, she averages (through 9 games) 11.1 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 6.6 APG, 5.8 T/OPG, and 3.3 SPG. She shoots 47.1% 2FG, 23.1% (3-13) 3FG, and 65.8% FT.

In the Croatian league, her team is 11-5 and she averages (through 15 games) 10.2 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 4.1 T/OPG, 6.5 APG, and 3.6 SPG. She shoots 48.9% 2FG, 15.9% (7-44) 3FG, and 71.4% FT.

Her team starts two former D2 players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not very good with these European leagues, but it looks like her ZKK TRESNJEVKA team is playing in two leagues, WABA and Croatia - A1. Looks like WABA is much more competitive and has teams from multiple countries.

In WABA, where her team is 0-11, she averages (through 9 games) 11.1 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 6.6 APG, 5.8 T/OPG, and 3.3 SPG. She shoots 47.1% 2FG, 23.1% (3-13) 3FG, and 65.8% FT.

In the Croatian league, her team is 11-5 and she averages (through 15 games) 15.3 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 2.1 T/OPG, 1.9 APG, and 1.7 SPG. She shoots 48.9% 2FG, 15.9% (7-44) 3FG, and 71.4% FT.

I assume she's competing against players at a much higher level then high school........................I wonder how it would compare to top DI play?...................those three point numbers are not good and a bunch of those shots are probably uncontested..................she appears to have a mid range game so she's ahead of where Ms Coombs is at the moment.............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I assume she's competing against players at a much higher level then high school....I wonder how it would compare to top DI play?....those three point numbers are not good and a bunch of those shots are probably uncontested...she appears to have a mid range game so she's ahead of where Ms Coombs is at the moment...
Does UConn need another good defensive, weak offensive guard. I'll take Coombs. She is not only quick but also very athletic. I believe Coombs will develop into a very good guard for UConn. I would think that there are American guards who are as good as Muhl is unless the competition she is playing against is superior to what the American high school girls are facing.

Reaction Score
Does UConn need another good defensive, weak offensive guard. I'll take Coombs. She is not only quick but also very athletic. I believe Coombs will develop into a very good guard for UConn. I would think that there are American guards who are as good as Muhl is unless the competition she is playing against is superior to what the American high school girls are facing.

she's playing internationally and against professionals so they should be a hell of a lot better then high school teams.....................if she wants to play for UConn and the other two targeted guards don't then she's a really good option........................remember that UConn needs lots of players going forward and she clearly has talent........

Reaction Score
The term “high school competition” is very subjective nowadays. Are we talking Christ the King, St. John’s College, Bishop McNamara, Hamilton Heights, etc. or just your typical high school team. I’m not sure all these pro teams (like Muhl’s) would be the teams mentioned above. Obviously the powerhouse pro teams would.

Would Muhl’s beat a typical HS team? Sure. A powerhouse HS team? Maybe, maybe not. I have no clue.

MTC

Reaction Score
The term “high school competition” is very subjective nowadays. Are we talking Christ the King, St. John’s College, Bishop McNamara, Hamilton Heights, etc. or just your typical high school team. I’m not sure all these pro teams (like Muhl’s) would be the teams mentioned above. Obviously the powerhouse pro teams would.

Would Muhl’s beat a typical HS team? Sure. A powerhouse HS team? Maybe, maybe not. I have no clue.
I would rather trust Geno than you anyway.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would rather trust Geno than you anyway.
1550523237236.png

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/17

Angel Reese scored 8 points before fouling out in St. Francis' conference title win Sunday. The final score was 33-29.

Reaction Score

In the Croatian league, her team is 11-5 and she averages (through 15 games) 15.3 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 2.1 T/OPG, 1.9 APG, and 1.7 SPG. She shoots 48.9% 2FG, 15.9% (7-44) 3FG, and 71.4% FT.

For comparison, Saniya Chong is averaging 8.6ppg, 3.3rpg, 2.5apg, 1.8spg, and 2.1TO/g in 28mpg for the team in first place in the Women's Adriatic Basketball Association League on 45/26/86 shooting splits.

Here is Muhl's stats page from that league:
FIBA - player - WABA

Where are you getting her Croatian League stats from?

According to this she is averaging 10.2ppg, 7.7rpg, 6.5apg, 3.6spg, and 4.1TO/g in 30mpg with the same shooting splits that you found:
Igrač

Muhl is a great talent, although the club situation makes it hard to tell how great exactly because it's pretty rare for a player her age to be given the responsibility to make everything happen for her team. Her current commitment to the college process means that she will probably stay there for now whereas if she was on the definite professional track, she probably would have signed a contract with a team in a different country by now and be more heavily focused on long-term development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom