2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 63 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If you watched her in the 3x3 tournaments you wouldn't think she needs conditioning. She's stout and strong, thick legs and wide shoulders. Notorious for being a workout beast.

I don't see any issues with her shot either, quite frankly.
I agree. Hailey Van Lith has gone from a thin kid as a youth to a solid teenager. She plays very, very hard and is physical. Her shot reminds me of Kelsey Plum, who did pretty well for herself. Pretty much every one has Hailey Van Lith in the top 3-5 of her class.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She hasn't played in how long? So what made Louisville say now is the time we want her?

Hasn't played since the end of November. I guess Louisville liked her enough prior to the injury and decided not to wait and see how she looks upon return. OTOH, Louisville offers everything that moves so there might not be all that much rhyme or reason to it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/19

Saylor Poffenbarger had 29 points, 14 rebounds, and 6 blocks Tuesday but Middletown lost their conference title game.

Reaction Score
Those comments were made prior to adding UConn to her list of schools in December and then attending the game against South Carolina last week.
Seems UConn an ideal match for Reese. Most teams that have playing time to offer are not UConn's level, particularly in terms of coaching, school support, and schemes that fit her style.

Reaction Score
Hasn't played since the end of November. I guess Louisville liked her enough prior to the injury and decided not to wait and see how she looks upon return. OTOH, Louisville offers everything that moves so there might not be all that much rhyme or reason to it.

it's actually pretty late for Louisville to offer a 2020 recruit as they believe in an early and often recruiting strategy...............perhaps they feel she's more likely to consider them after being out with an injury for a season....................I'd be surprised if UConn doesn't stay involved with her as she is a real effort player and an excellent defender...............

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I agree. Hailey Van Lith has gone from a thin kid as a youth to a solid teenager. She plays very, very hard and is physical. Her shot reminds me of Kelsey Plum, who did pretty well for herself. Pretty much every one has Hailey Van Lith in the top 3-5 of her class.
Her name is Haley (close enough to Halley), she's quick and exciting with a blonde trail and a talent like hers comes around every 75-76 years: Hey Milford, why doesn't this kid have the nickname Comet?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Her name is Haley (close enough to Halley), she's quick and exciting with a blonde trail and a talent like hers comes around every 75-76 years: Hey Milford, why doesn't this kid have the nickname Comet?
I think you may be on to something here. It's actually Hailey though. We can go with: Hailey-"The Cashmere Comet"!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Longer "Unguarded" profile of Natalija Marshall.
Grounded, hard working kid, looking to use basketball as a platform to change things for the girls that are coming up behind her. Says she is down to 10 schools that she is remains in contact with. Really hoping UCONN is not only among the 10 schools but ends up getting her. Great kid!

Reaction Score
Longer "Unguarded" profile of Natalija Marshall.
Grounded, hard working kid, looking to use basketball as a platform to change things for the girls that are coming up behind her. Says she is down to 10 schools that she is remains in contact with. Really hoping UCONN is not only among the 10 schools but ends up getting her. Great kid!

She does seem like a nice kid and you can't teach 6-5, but she sure makes ONO look like Hulk Hogan. Skills wise she seems similar to ONO at that age but probably a better shooter.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Several thoughts after reading the recent posts in this thread.

1. Though they have similar builds, ONO and Marshall have games that would work well together.

2. If Hailey Van Lith's shot is mechanically flawed, the results show that it may not need to be fixed.

3. I am not sure I agree with the decision to give Hailey Van Lith this much exposure. She is already wanted by every top school in the country.

4. I wonder if Hailey Van Lith makes a decision similar to Haley Jones. She wants to go UCONN but Oregon and Oregon State are approaching status that is comparable and a lot closer. Graves and Rueck both do a really nice job.

5. I immediately thought that when Louisville offered Kapinus later than expected, it was because when your philosophy is to offer every possible prospect, it takes a long time to get to the K's.

6. I read about the level of Hailey Van Lith's high school competition. Her game will more than hold up at the next level. She will have an impact right away. I also think that she and Bueckers could easily play on the floor together.

7. I know Marshall has UCONN in her top ten. How high are they on her list? Top two?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
5. I immediately thought that when Louisville offered Kapinus later than expected, it was because when your philosophy is to offer every possible prospect, it takes a long time to get to the K's.
Classic!
1550687878211.png

Reaction Score
She does seem like a nice kid and you can't teach 6-5, but she sure makes ONO look like Hulk Hogan. Skills wise she seems similar to ONO at that age but probably a better shooter.

actually if you go back and look at ONO's high school videos she is a more more athletic the Marshall with a nice soft touch from outside and pretty decent ball handling skills.......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
7. I know Marshall has UCONN in her top ten. How high are they on her list? Top two?
@Orangutan & @Dillon77 might want to chime in hear.
Some people seem to think that Marshall is a ND lean. The other 9 schools under consideration are UConn, Duke, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas, South Carolina, Stanford, Syracuse and UCLA.
Have no idea where UCONN stands in her list but UCONN saw Marshall play on Feb 13, 2019 against St John Vianney. Marshall has improved and she says will "probably" commit in May. That likely means Official visit in April.

Reaction Score
actually if you go back and look at ONO's high school videos she is a more more athletic the Marshall with a nice soft touch from outside and pretty decent ball handling skills..

I agree. I think its more a recency bias since we all see ONO now as a freshman in college and that is our most recent memory, and compare it to Marshall against high school kids. I don't know if Marshall is a bonafide impact player at UConn, Stanford, Notre Dame type of program. I think her frame will make it tough for her to establish good post position to get high percentage shots and I don't think she's some dead eye shooter you can't leave open. Probably a good rotational player who brings energy, blocks shots and runs the floor well, but that next step of being a really good offensive player if I had to project down the line I feel Gusters or Cardosa have more potential there.

Reaction Score
actually if you go back and look at ONO's high school videos she is a more more athletic the Marshall with a nice soft touch from outside and pretty decent ball handling skills..
The only action video of Marshall I saw were I believe during her soph. summer so still kind of raw. I agree on ONO. I've said she's quick, athletic, and has very good hands. I was comparing them at that age. I think the combination of missing most of a year in HS and seemingly getting only minimal offensive post coaching set her back. Her lack of HS competition size wise didn't force her to learn how to extend on all her paint shots, but because of her superior athleticism and current coaching, she'll start to really come on now. Next year should see a major difference. If Marshall can get some national and international competition and add some weight and strength, she could be very similar to ONO coming out of HS.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
@Orangutan & @Dillon77 might want to chime in hear.
Some people seem to think that Marshall is a ND lean. The other 9 schools under consideration are UConn, Duke, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas, South Carolina, Stanford, Syracuse and UCLA.
Have no idea where UCONN stands in her list but UCONN saw Marshall play on Feb 13, 2019 against St John Vianney. Marshall has improved and she says will "probably" commit in May. That likely means Official visit in April.

I recall that she seemed to react very positively to ND's NC win last April (liking lots of tweets about it, etc.)

I've also seen her be chummy with the Mabreys on social media. I believe the connection there is through the Exodus AAU program.

There's nothing like the mountain of evidence Sam B provided indicating she was leaning towards ND before her commitment, but what little clues I can pick up do seem to point to ND.

So yeah, no hard evidence or inside info, but ND seems to have a good shot with Marshall.

Reaction Score
I recall that she seemed to react very positively to ND's NC win last April (liking lots of tweets about it, etc.)

I've also seen her be chummy with the Mabreys on social media. I believe the connection there is through the Exodus AAU program.

There's nothing like the mountain of evidence Sam B provided indicating she was leaning towards ND before her commitment, but what little clues I can pick up do seem to point to ND.

So yeah, no hard evidence or inside info, but ND seems to have a good shot with Marshall.

as long as UConn gets DeBerry in '21 I won't be that upset if Marshall goes elsewhere..................

MTC

Reaction Score
I agree. I think its more a recency bias since we all see ONO now as a freshman in college and that is our most recent memory, and compare it to Marshall against high school kids. I don't know if Marshall is a bonafide impact player at UConn, Stanford, Notre Dame type of program. I think her frame will make it tough for her to establish good post position to get high percentage shots and I don't think she's some dead eye shooter you can't leave open. Probably a good rotational player who brings energy, blocks shots and runs the floor well, but that next step of being a really good offensive player if I had to project down the line I feel Gusters or Cardosa have more potential there.
You almost can't have too many inside players anymore to go along with good shooting guards. Marshall has good footwork and CD will make her into a very good player.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Coco, Orangutan:

Will just add a bit to what both of you have posted on this thread and what is also over on the Non-UConn thread.

- Ms. Marshall was one of the attendees to the mass unofficial visits to ND in Fall 2017 ("recruitapalooza" or "Nielefest"). That's actually the first time she was on my radar screen.

- In an ESPNw profile from January 2019, Walter Villa reported that:
"Marshall said she will start taking visits this spring. Notre Dame and Stanford are the two schools she is sure she will tour, and Marshall hopes to make her final choice by late May."
Natalija Marshall, emerging as one of New York's finest, leads Christ the King into Hoophall Classic

In everything I've read/heard/perused/discussed, Ms. Marshall is the one name that consistently comes up as an ND-targeted "big" prospects of 2020. And ND most certainly needs to land a few of them in 2020 and 2021.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, Orangutan:
Will just add a bit to what both of you have posted on this thread and what is also over on the Non-UConn thread.
- Ms. Marshall was one of the attendees to the mass unofficial visits to ND in Fall 2017 ("recruitapalooza" or "Nielefest"). That's actually the first time she was on my radar screen.
- In an ESPNw profile from January 2019, Walter Villa reported that:
"Marshall said she will start taking visits this spring. Notre Dame and Stanford are the two schools she is sure she will tour, and Marshall hopes to make her final choice by late May."
Natalija Marshall, emerging as one of New York's finest, leads Christ the King into Hoophall Classic
In everything I've read/heard/perused/discussed, Ms. Marshall is the one name that consistently comes up with discussions of targeted "big" prospects of 2020. And ND most certainly needs to land a few of them in 2020 and 2021.
Brink is already in place for Stanford. Marshall is a doppelganger of Brink if there were such a thing which favors ND I would think. UCONN was at Marshall's game on 13 Feb. Got to also believe that UCONN is aware of her May commitment time frame. So the next tea leaf to look for his where Marshall takes official visit which can start on April 9th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom