2020-21 midseason transfer thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020-21 midseason transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As much as I hate to interrupt a good ND trashing I've got to jump in and point out that the last three Stanford transfers to ND Lili Thompson, Marta Sniezek and Maya Dotson were all starter at Stanford in the vast majority of the games in the season just prior to transferring to ND.
And Marta And Dodson were all destined for Bench time had they stayed. Lili, was hurt, not hurt, hurt again so her departure from Stanford to ND was interesting where she got hurt again. So for 2 of 3, I absolutely stand by my comments. Marta would not have started had she stayed and Maya would be a very bit part in this years team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And Marta And Dodson were all destined for Bench time had they stayed. Lili, was hurt, not hurt, hurt again so her departure from Stanford to ND was interesting where she got hurt again. So for 2 of 3, I absolutely stand by my comments. Marta would not have started had she stayed and Maya would be a very bit part in this years team.
Just to add on, current Stanford Sr. Alyssa Jerome started 24 games during her Soph and Jr. year and now barely sees the court. I could definitely see Dodson being in a similar position.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle for all three.

Lili is the only one who I think likely would have started, as we were in need of a seasoned combo guard the season she sat out. (She left for ahem other reasons, sitting out rather than playing her senior season.)

Marta is more complicated - she sat out due to thumb surgery and then we didn't have a scholly for her to come back, so I think she realized the writing on the wall mid-season and sat out to preserve her eligibility. I genuinely think Tara would have wanted her back if there had been a spot, as Tara loves future coaches and sang Marta's praises disproportionate (IMHO) to her on court contributions. Whether she would have started but then sat a lot, or come off the bench, who knows. But she would have been a core part of the team.

But I do think Dodson's situation would have looked more like Jerome's, because we just have so many offensively talented bigs and two, Brink and Prechtel, are solid outside shooters, much like Jerome has been in the past, and which Dodson decidedly is not. She is a 5 through and through and we just have too many multi-talented bigs to need a have who isn't a blocking and rebounding machine.

On a more personal note, Stanford is a very "small school" undergraduate environment and I think those who stick around for a co-term or fifth year often feel a bit dislodged once their class graduates. There are very very few transfers in and out and few who graduate in more than 4 years, so I can see the temptation to try something new (and pick up a free grad degree) rather than feel like a hanger on.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You can stand by your comments if you want, however this comment is demonstrable false : " Congrats ND, you got another Stanford 9th or 10th man". Your original statement contained no caveats, stipulations or projections about "if" these players had returned to Stanford.

Reaction Score
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but former Miss St Bulldog turned UALR Trojan, BreAmber Scott, has entered the portal. I guess Joe Foley’s system didn’t suit her? There was a feature article about her in LR media just Jan 1, 2021, about how happy she was to be home. She was the leading scorer for UALR this season before she opted out/entered the portal. She recently tweeted that she’ll be graduating this summer, so I guess she’d be a grad transfer somewhere.

Will be interesting to see where she lands - wish her well.

(Another Trojan player, their 2nd leading scorer Brianna Crane, has also opted out. Not sure if she’s in the portal or not. Tough month for UALR.)

Reaction Score
Regarding this Ivey Era: Can it really be considered an era when you are one game above .500 for both the season and in conference play? Looks like the start of the dark ages more than it does an era at least to me.
Is it the Ivey era or the Muffet-left-the-program-in-shambles era?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle for all three.

Lili is the only one who I think likely would have started, as we were in need of a seasoned combo guard the season she sat out. (She left for ahem other reasons, sitting out rather than playing her senior season.)

Marta is more complicated - she sat out due to thumb surgery and then we didn't have a scholly for her to come back, so I think she realized the writing on the wall mid-season and sat out to preserve her eligibility. I genuinely think Tara would have wanted her back if there had been a spot, as Tara loves future coaches and sang Marta's praises disproportionate (IMHO) to her on court contributions. Whether she would have started but then sat a lot, or come off the bench, who knows. But she would have been a core part of the team.

But I do think Dodson's situation would have looked more like Jerome's, because we just have so many offensively talented bigs and two, Brink and Prechtel, are solid outside shooters, much like Jerome has been in the past, and which Dodson decidedly is not. She is a 5 through and through and we just have too many multi-talented bigs to need a have who isn't a blocking and rebounding machine.

On a more personal note, Stanford is a very "small school" undergraduate environment and I think those who stick around for a co-term or fifth year often feel a bit dislodged once their class graduates. There are very very few transfers in and out and few who graduate in more than 4 years, so I can see the temptation to try something new (and pick up a free grad degree) rather than feel like a hanger on.

You can stand by your comments if you want, however this comment is demonstrable false : " Congrats ND, you got another Stanford 9th or 10th man". Your original statement contained no caveats, stipulations or projections about "if" these players had returned to Stanford.

A week late and a dollar short,but I thought I'd weigh in from the ND perspective. In regards to the Stanford perspective, I appreciate and agree with the perspectives on each of the players. How Farmfan describes the Stanford community is what I've heard described to me by Domers who also have Farm connections.
That said, in reverse chronological order:
- Maya Dodson: ND was "in the hunt" for Maya Dodson when she was originally looking for a college. St. Francis sends a bunch of students to ND, so it's not surprising that ND turns an eye there when there's also a student who specializes in a sport. Amirah Abdur-Rahim also went to St. Francis.

I think Niele hopes Maya can:
  • supply rebounding and defense to the frontcourt, which is needed...
  • if Mik Vaughn does not come back;
  • play alongside center Nat Marshall as she gets back on the court following knee surgery;
  • supply some defense and rebounding to the attempts at the 2-3 zone and man-to-man (oops, I already said that);
  • get Sam Brunelle out of the lane and allow her to face the basket and gun away;
  • be a kind of wingman to Maddy Westbeld; and,
  • knock on wood, be a bridge to the Class of 2022, when ND will hopefully bring in a tall, athletic forward such as Ayanna Patterson or Timea Gardiner.
And, maybe mentor fellow st. Francs Alum Ms. Abdur-Rahim.

As for Ms. Sniezek:
  • Well, Marta sure as heck got to play A LOT for MM, did she not? With a little bit of retrospective focus, I think she actually helped get that mess of a season getting a bit better towards the end of the year: forwards and guards were actually cutting to the hoop to recieve her passes and she was getting the young frosh to play some defense (Anaya Peoples, in particular). I appreciated her efforts immensely. Wish she had a bit more of a jumper but the effort on defense was tremendous.
  • She would be a good coach if so inclined.

Lili Thompson
  • Was she hurt in the UConn game, says a sneaky memory?
  • Lili was fitting in pretty well for the Irish before she got hurt. That, ahem, wasn't an easy group to mesh with and she did it.
  • That said, with her injury, she unintentionally helped set the scene for the "final" grouping that led ND to the title
run.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lili Thompson
  • Was she hurt in the UConn game, says a sneaky memory?
Thompson was not hurt for the first meeting with UCONN she played rather well and ND had UCONN down by double digits in the final quarter of the game. Gabby Williams missed the second half and it was Azura Stevens that help to erase that UCONN deficit.

Reaction Score
What's Duke got next year? This is what I pieced together (last column is # of years of eligibility left):

1613261155524.png

de Jesus, Williams, Patrick, Goodchild, & Akinbode were starting this year

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Well Brunelle is battling for minutes herself -Zero starts this season. ND is Vaugh and Westbeld and three guards mostly. Next year ND has Cosgrove and Marshall returning to compete for minutes up front.
Regarding this Ivey Era: Can it really be considered an era when you are one game above .500 for both the season and in conference play? Looks like the start of the dark ages more than it does an era at least to me.
I thought an era had more to do with time than a team's or coach's record. The Ivey era started when she was first hired and will continue until she is no longer coach at Notre Dame.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought an era had more to do with time than a team's or coach's record. The Ivey era started when she was first hired and will continue until she is no longer coach at Notre Dame.
I thought we had talked about this before. No issues with your definition I just had a different one in mind. To me an era is a time period over which you have actually accomplished something positive. At the time of that post I think ND was below .500 i.e., ND had not accomplish anything worthwhile to be talking about the beginning of no era.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I thought we had talked about this before. No issues with your definition I just had a different one in mind. To me an era is a time period over which you have actually accomplished something positive. At the time of that post I think ND was below .500 i.e., ND had not accomplish anything worthwhile to be talking about the beginning of no era.
Au contraire. An era can also be noted for its lack of success. Trust me, I know all to well about those kinds of eras. :oops:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Au contraire. An era can also be noted for its lack of success. Trust me, I know all to well about those kinds of eras. :oops:
:eek: You are correct. I forgot you were a TN fan :D

Reaction Score
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but former Miss St Bulldog turned UALR Trojan, BreAmber Scott, has entered the portal. I guess Joe Foley’s system didn’t suit her? There was a feature article about her in LR media just Jan 1, 2021, about how happy she was to be home. She was the leading scorer for UALR this season before she opted out/entered the portal. She recently tweeted that she’ll be graduating this summer, so I guess she’d be a grad transfer somewhere.

Will be interesting to see where she lands - wish her well.

(Another Trojan player, their 2nd leading scorer Brianna Crane, has also opted out. Not sure if she’s in the portal or not. Tough month for UALR.)
Bre'Amber Scott going to Texas Tech: Lady Raiders land transfer Bre’Amber Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99