2020-21 midseason transfer thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020-21 midseason transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well Brunelle is battling for minutes herself -Zero starts this season. ND is Vaugh and Westbeld and three guards mostly. Next year ND has Cosgrove and Marshall returning to compete for minutes up front.
Regarding this Ivey Era: Can it really be considered an era when you are one game above .500 for both the season and in conference play? Looks like the start of the dark ages more than it does an era at least to me.
Mesozoic

Reaction Score
Looks like a replacement for Vaughn but if you compare the two I think Vaughn was a little better in shooting and rebounding. If she can produce the same as Vaughn then good for ND but she didn't play this season and barely played last season so its hard to expect a big jump in stats.

Reaction Score
Well Brunelle is battling for minutes herself -Zero starts this season. ND is Vaugh and Westbeld and three guards mostly. Next year ND has Cosgrove and Marshall returning to compete for minutes up front.
Regarding this Ivey Era: Can it really be considered an era when you are one game above .500 for both the season and in conference play? Looks like the start of the dark ages more than it does an era at least to me.
From my understanding is Brunelle is coming off an injury, and is trying to find her rhythm. She had a good game against Syracuse. With that being said, I dont think she will be a starter at ND anytime soon. At least not at the 4, because Westbeld can do just about anything she can do better. Vaughn will probably be gone, because of health reasons.

Yes, the "Ivey Era" is looking a little shakey to start. I'll be more concerned after year 3. This year is such a weird year, and starting your career at this point is tough. I think it'll be good experience for her, even though they probably wont make the tourney.

But back to Dodson. I think she could be their 5 next season. Marshall will be a freshman on the court still, and I dont see Cosgrove as a 5. Dodson is more of a 4, but I think just having an experienced 6-3 presence will help them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Season 4 Idk GIF by The Office

I'm not sure this moves the needle on the fortunes of ND much.
I don't think it does that much. Dodson runs the court and defends pretty well (better than Brunelle for sure) but her offensive skills are pretty limited. She'll help defensively in the lane and on the boards.

Reaction Score
There's two trends, (1) Stanford is getting high level recruits at a better rate than Notre Dame. Recent years you've had Jones, Brink, and now Betts. (2) Notre Dame is getting Stanford graduate transfers who do not look to have big role at Stanford. If Notre Dame role player wanted to transfer, I doubt Stanford would even be interested. If 1 and 2 keep continuing the distance between the two programs will grow

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well Brunelle is battling for minutes herself -Zero starts this season.
Brunelle started the season with some kind of injury and terribly out of shape.

Still, even a fitter and healthy Brunelle presents a lineup conundrum for Ivey. Where do you play her? Westbeld is ND's best player and the PF for the next few years. Sam is skilled and a good shooter but playing her at the wing creates matchup problems defensively on a team that already has defensive holes.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
There's two trends, (1) Stanford is getting high level recruits at a better rate than Notre Dame. Recent years you've had Jones, Brink, and now Betts. (2) Notre Dame is getting Stanford graduate transfers who do not look to have big role at Stanford. If Notre Dame role player wanted to transfer, I doubt Stanford would even be interested. If 1 and 2 keep continuing the distance between the two programs will grow
+1. The only in transfer Stanford has had in two decades was Brooke Smith from Duke, and she was a local who'd been recruited, admitted, and offered at Stanford out of HS. Stanford admits between 0 and 40 transfers per year and many are untraditional (ie military, community college, or returning students).

What's fascinating is seeing how our upward recruiting trajectory has affected our upper-classmen pipeline out. For the 2011 through 2016 recruiting classes, we recruited zero top ten players and only handful of top 20 (Amber Orrange and Erica McCall). These days we have two #1s (Haley Jones and Lauren Betts) and a top 3 (Cameron Brink) and a bevvy of top 20 (Kiana Williams, Lexie Hull, Jenna Brown, Ashten Prechtel, Fran Belibi, Brooke Demetre, Kiki Iriafen).

So much out transferring from Stanford is unprecedented, but so, too, is our ace recruiting in an era where transfers for playing time has become so common.

In each case, including Dodson's, I wish them well. She never became the collegiate player her HS recruiting promised, but I hope she has a good final chapter in South Bend.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure why she'd want to play in those trash arse uniforms (no offense to any ND fans) when she could play in the gorgeous royal blue and while while enjoying all the bbq her heart desires,.... but oh well.
Happy National Dark Chocolate day @triaddukefan. I had some almonds covered in dark chocolate with lunch. How are you celebrating?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I had no idea.... I'm more of a milk chocolate type of person, but I have heard that dark chocolate is healthier.
Get that flavonoid rich dark chocolate !

*editing because my original phrasing made it seem like the flavonoids were covered in dark chocolate.

Reaction Score
Dodson to ND

Nice pickup but another rent-a-player. You know she is going to get minutes and I have to wonder if this could be making recruits leery.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nice pickup but another rent-a-player. You know she is going to get minutes and I have to wonder if this could be making recruits leery.
Doubtful. Dodson will depart ND in Spring of 2022 therefore have no impact (playing time ) on the HS class of 2022. ND recruiting class of 2021 has already committed.

Reaction Score
Doubtful. Dodson will depart ND in Spring of 2022 therefore have no impact (playing time ) on the class of 2022. ND recruiting class of 2021 has already committed.

True, but it continues a pattern. Are recruits going to buy that she is a stopgap solution or will they decide it's something N Dame does regularly?
Maybe it won't matter at all.

Reaction Score
True, but it continues a pattern. Are recruits going to buy that she is a stopgap solution or will they decide it's something N Dame does regularly?
Maybe it won't matter at all.

It shouldn't for a 2022 recruit. Heck, if she could stay on another year, I'd see it as a great learning opportunity since she's spent time at Stanford.

Maybe it's me, but too many athletes are worried about playing right away. Look at Dana Evans at Louisville and where she is now. From averaging 5 min/game as a freshman to now? Sometimes it's worth "Trusting the process", and I'm not talking the Philly 76ers version. ?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Get that flavonoid rich dark chocolate !

*editing because my original phrasing made it seem like the flavonoids were covered in dark chocolate.

About to go make me a BBQ sandwich, the kind you won't find in South Bend. When Im out later... i'll be sure to get some dark chocolate.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
An era deals with a time period, not a team's record during that time. A team could go winless for two years and the coach gets fired. That would be the end of a short era.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Not sure why she'd want to play in those trash arse uniforms (no offense to any ND fans) when she could play in the gorgeous royal blue and while while enjoying all the bbq her heart desires,.... but oh well.
My prediction was Duke when she announced her transfer so this surprises me. I guess she is closer to home though.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Can she play this term?
Not sure, but I doubt it.

First, she opted out of the season because of COVID. Are players allowed by the NCAA to change their minds about that?

Second, I'm not sure if she's graduated from Stanford yet or still has a quarter or two to complete. I think she is a grad transfer, not a midseason undergrad transfer.

Reaction Score
Not sure, but I doubt it.

First, she opted out of the season because of COVID. Are players allowed by the NCAA to change their minds about that?

Second, I'm not sure if she's graduated from Stanford yet or still has a quarter or two to complete. I think she is a grad transfer, not a midseason undergrad transfer.

AEH opted out due to Covid, so that’s not the case

Reaction Score

Per her tweet when she announced she was transferring, she noted she'll be graduating in March. She's also listed as a grad-transfer on the WBB blog site.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Congrats ND, you got another Stanford 9th or 10th man and McGraw’s bench is going all googly eyes over what she brings. Is that how far they have already fallen in 1.5 years? Heck, it took VolNation 7 years to accept 2nd tier status...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Congrats ND, you got another Stanford 9th or 10th man and McGraw’s bench is going all googly eyes over what she brings. Is that how far they have already fallen in 1.5 years? Heck, it took VolNation 7 years to accept 2nd tier status...
As much as I hate to interrupt a good ND trashing I've got to jump in and point out that the last three Stanford transfers to ND Lili Thompson, Marta Sniezek and Maya Dotson were all starter at Stanford in the vast majority of the games in the season just prior to transferring to ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom