2020-21 midseason transfer thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2020-21 midseason transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
6-4 Lola Pendande would be a great get for someone. She just needs to find the right system and team and she can make someone a very happy coach.

Also what is going on with the Blue Devils? I am a huge Kara fan and expect great things from her but her roster is falling to pieces. @triaddukefan or @CamrnCrz1974 got any idea what's up? Maybe looking into transfer market? I was sure Eleah Parker would head to Duke but she ended up at Virginia.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Another Ute (and perhaps a more notable one): 6-4 Lola Pendande. Had a really good freshman season, but struggled this year.

Will be a nice pickup for some team if she can regain freshman form.
They had a really disappointing season, now bleeding players. Things not looking good for Coach Roberts.

Reaction Score
She's checking in as the main stalker at the Transfer Portal Hotel . . .
To be fair, who isn't this offseason of all of them.... ;)

**When Rickea enters the portal, Vic's phone bill will be going through the roof getting her to come to Austin

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Nobody has more open scholarships to fill then Duke, right? Does anyone else even come close?

Reaction Score
Nobody has more open scholarships to fill then Duke, right? Does anyone else even come close?
Probably not

Duke will definitely be hitting the portal hard. I can see other teams as well (Ole Miss especially).

Reaction Score
As I guessed, seniors who probably would've graduated are now grad-transferring since they have an extra year of eligibility.
#2, #3, #4 scores at Bucknell are all grad-transferring

Reaction Score

**When Rickea enters the portal, Vic's phone bill will be going through the roof getting her to come to Austin
It's going to be interesting to see if Vic pursues Rickea Jackson. In her freshman year Vic took her out of the starting line-up 6 times and this year NMP did the same 3 times. That's 9 times in 52 games for what seems to be non-injury related reasons. Considering the talent Vic should be able to attract to Austin, it will surprise me if Jackson is at the top of his list.

Reaction Score
Canisius and SJ State have 6 transfers along with Duke ....
Oh and then there was the Detroit Mercy debacle. They are at 7 transfers, so far.
UMBC has 7 too

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see if Vic pursues Rickea Jackson. In her freshman year Vic took her out of the starting line-up 6 times and this year NMP did the same 3 times. That's 9 times in 52 games for what seems to be non-injury related reasons. Considering the talent Vic should be able to attract to Austin, it will surprise me if Jackson is at the top of his list.

Interesting that you brought this up because that's what I was thinking. She has had issues with both coaching staffs. Whether disciplinary or not its something that would be concerning to whomever takes a look at her if she enters the portal. She is a great player.

Reaction Score
Looks like they have 6 players returning, if Williams (Sr) returns.
And no incoming frosh??

Is that right?

Reaction Score
Jackson is a very gifted player and is really really good but yea I think thats a good point. I know its been brought up that she doesn't always give 100% effort and has had attitude problems in the past. Not a fan of McCray but if Jackson isn't putting in the work or effort, she is doing the right thing. Doesn't matter how talented you are, if you aren't coming into practice or games with a good attitude or effort, its not good for the program. Some type of accountability is needed.

Reaction Score
Looks like they have 6 players returning, if Williams (Sr) returns.
And no incoming frosh??

Is that right?
Yep. She better hope Williams comes back because there's not a lot of experience other than her, Goodchild, and Akinbode-James......although she has at least two good ones coming the following year she definitely needs bodies and hope that no one gets injured!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Recruiting her will be Ezeh like a Sunday morning.

Swkg.gif

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see if Vic pursues Rickea Jackson. In her freshman year Vic took her out of the starting line-up 6 times and this year NMP did the same 3 times. That's 9 times in 52 games for what seems to be non-injury related reasons. Considering the talented Vic should be able to attract to Austin, it will surprise me if Jackson is at the top of his list.
You must not have seen her freshman year, the Rickea I saw stared off very tentative and did not look like she was a future star. Vic made sure she regained her confidence by bringing her alone slowly but by the season’s end she was a physical player who had a lot of confidence in her ability. She progressed under Vic and at season end was living up to her potential. Contrast that with this season, Rickea began this year as a major contributor to the team and the team was playing and winning as a team. As the season progressed Rickea and other players lost confidence and appeared to lack the desire to win. Rickea digression is, IMO, due to NNP coaching, her coaching style affected the whole team resulting in 9th place in the SEC. Rickea will be a real catch for any coach, including Vic. I hope Rickea decides not to transfer but if she does Vic and any other coach that obtains her services will have made a major catch.

Reaction Score
You must not have seen her freshman year, the Rickea I saw stared off very tentative and did not look like she was a future star. Vic made sure she regained her confidence by bringing her alone slowly but by the season’s end she was a physical player who had a lot of confidence in her ability. She progressed under Vic and at season end was living up to her potential. Contrast that with this season, Rickea began this year as a major contributor to the team and the team was playing and winning as a team. As the season progressed Rickea and other players lost confidence and appeared to lack the desire to win. Rickea digression is, IMO, due to NNP coaching, her coaching style affected the whole team resulting in 9th place in the SEC. Rickea will be a real catch for any coach, including Vic. I hope Rickea decides not to transfer but if she does Vic and any other coach that obtains her services will have made a major catch.
Jmsdawg, I have watched almost all of Rickea's 52 games at MSU like you probably have. What I saw was that Vic came up with a system that was great at playing to Rickea and Jessica Carter's strengths while hiding their weaknesses. That's great for winning and Vic is good at winning, but it does come at the expense of player development.

Last year Rickea's offense was mostly limited to coming off screens and shooting open midrange jump shots or driving to the basket. She's very good at those two things. This year NMP wanted Rickea to expand her game by shooting more 3's and by being the type of SEC star player who can make things happen by winning one-on-one matchups. As we saw this season, Rickea isn't very good at those things. Was this a case of NMP knowing that it might mean taking one step back to move three steps forward? Or was it a case of putting a player in a position to fail? A person could take either side of that argument.

Likewise with Jessica Carter, last year her offensive role was mostly to take dump off passes when the dribble drive created penetration or to score on putbacks. This year NMP wanted to get to ball inside more and let Carter operate around the basket. Unfortunately, it appears that in her first two years at MSU Carter never learned any post moves other than taking fade away jumpers and that's the move she reverted back to almost all the time this year when playing against a decent post defender. (BTW, I know Johnnie Harris and Vic have a great reputation of developing post players, but can anyone think of a MSU center who actually had good moves in the post? Not Teaira, not Carter, not Zion Campbell, not Yemiyah Morris. It's just my opinion, but I think that reputation is overblown.)

Anyway, maybe you are right that Vic will want Rickea at Texas next year. One thing that will be different in Austin is that if discipline is a problem he'll be able to take a stronger approach in dealing with it. While he did pull Rickea out of the starting lineup 6 times at MSU, she still got a lot of minutes in those games because he needed her scoring. With the recruiting class he has for next year those minutes can be covered by other players.

Reaction Score
Jmsdawg, I have watched almost all of Rickea's 52 games at MSU like you probably have. What I saw was that Vic came up with a system that was great at playing to Rickea and Jessica Carter's strengths while hiding their weaknesses. That's great for winning and Vic is good at winning, but it does come at the expense of player development.

Last year Rickea's offense was mostly limited to coming off screens and shooting open midrange jump shots or driving to the basket. She's very good at those two things. This year NMP wanted Rickea to expand her game by shooting more 3's and by being the type of SEC star player who can make things happen by winning one-on-one matchups. As we saw this season, Rickea isn't very good at those things. Was this a case of NMP knowing that it might mean taking one step back to move three steps forward? Or was it a case of putting a player in a position to fail? A person could take either side of that argument.

Likewise with Jessica Carter, last year her offensive role was mostly to take dump off passes when the dribble drive created penetration or to score on putbacks. This year NMP wanted to get to ball inside more and let Carter operate around the basket. Unfortunately, it appears that in her first two years at MSU Carter never learned any post moves other than taking fade away jumpers and that's the move she reverted back to almost all the time this year when playing against a decent post defender. (BTW, I know Johnnie Harris and Vic have a great reputation of developing post players, but can anyone think of a MSU center who actually had good moves in the post? Not Teaira, not Carter, not Zion Campbell, not Yemiyah Morris. It's just my opinion, but I think that reputation is overblown.)

Anyway, maybe you are right that Vic will want Rickea at Texas next year. One thing that will be different in Austin is that if discipline is a problem he'll be able to take a stronger approach in dealing with it. While he did pull Rickea out of the starting lineup 6 times at MSU, she still got a lot of minutes in those games because he needed her scoring. With the recruiting class he has for next year those minutes can be covered by other players.
Guess we just see thing different. Players have strengths and a coach needs to utilize those strengths, trying to get a player to mold their game to a coach’s style of play that does not utilize her strengths is going to cause problems and that is exactly what occurred. MSST had a top quality team, using the coaching style of NMP MSST had its worse season in the last 5 years. What I saw from NMP was a coach who was not involved with the players during game time. All of the good coaches whom I am aware interact with the players during the game they do not just sit and watch.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Just saw a blurb on the ESPN ticker that the ACC has eliminated its intraconference transfer rule based on a unanimous vote. Not sure what the rule was exactly, but assuming it applies to all ACC sports.

Reaction Score
Just saw a blurb on the ESPN ticker that the ACC has eliminated its intraconference transfer rule based on a unanimous vote. Not sure what the rule was exactly, but assuming it applies to all ACC sports.
If an athlete transferred within the conference, the athlete is expected to sit out. I thought the Big 12 had a similar rule as someone was able to leave Texas Tech for Oklahoma State (or am I confusing this with another situation)?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If an athlete transferred within the conference, the athlete is expected to sit out. I thought the Big 12 had a similar rule as someone was able to leave Texas Tech for Oklahoma State (or am I confusing this with another situation)?
Well, prior to the recent blanket waiver last December, any player who transferred had to sit out the mandatory transfer season unless they were granted a waiver for immediate eligibility.

In the Big 12 conference, any undergraduate transfer who transferred to another school not only had to sit out one season, but they also would lose one season of eligibility. The situation you were thinking of were grad-transfers (Erin DeGrate -- Tech to Baylor, and Vivian Gray -- OSU to Tech); they still needed their departing school to grant them a waiver, which both did so they could play immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom