2020-2021 UConn Men's Hockey | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 UConn Men's Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I don’t think this means any of us can attend...yet.
Spring and fall outdoor sports should allow a percentage of fans to attend. Not sure about basketball and hockey yet but I don’t think athletics can afford not to allow fans for 2 years in a row. Maybe institute a lottery system for season ticket holders/donors/students to attend some games. They have to do something.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Spring and fall outdoor sports should allow a percentage of fans to attend. Not sure about basketball and hockey yet but I don’t think athletics can afford not to allow fans for 2 years in a row. Maybe institute a lottery system for season ticket holders/donors/students to attend some games. They have to do something.
I’d love to go to some baseball games this spring.

Reaction Score
The Courant should be ashamed of their coverage of Husky Hockey. This past Saturday, with both men and women’s basketball idle the hockey game vs Merrimack was the perfect opportunity for some real coverage. Instead we get pg. 4, below a report on a Villanova game. Evans goes off for 4, what a photo op that would have been! I just don’t get it...
On another front, wouldn’t it be nice if there was a lottery for a handful of season ticket holders to get into Freitas for each game. If we’re supporting this team with donations to scholarship funds instead of cashing out our season tickets it would be a nice thank you, wouldn’t it!
Good luck tonight Huskies!

Reaction Score
The Courant should be ashamed of their coverage of Husky Hockey. This past Saturday, with both men and women’s basketball idle the hockey game vs Merrimack was the perfect opportunity for some real coverage. Instead we get pg. 4, below a report on a Villanova game. Evans goes off for 4, what a photo op that would have been! I just don’t get it...
On another front, wouldn’t it be nice if there was a lottery for a handful of season ticket holders to get into Freitas for each game. If we’re supporting this team with donations to scholarship funds instead of cashing out our season tickets it would be a nice thank you, wouldn’t it!
Good luck tonight Huskies!
I've been singing this tune for a long time. I know there are huge cuts across the newspaper business but it seems like when they lay out the week ahead in terms of what to cover each day, the end result is usually leaving UConn hockey on the cutting room floor.
Perhaps getting to a HE final four will start to change their minds. Because it's not like nobody supports the team. Attendance numbers at the XL have proven they do....that being said there have been a few articles out the past few weeks so maybe there's finally a shift.

Reaction Score
I've been singing this tune for a long time. I know there are huge cuts across the newspaper business but it seems like when they lay out the week ahead in terms of what to cover each day, the end result is usually leaving UConn hockey on the cutting room floor.
Perhaps getting to a HE final four will start to change their minds. Because it's not like nobody supports the team. Attendance numbers at the XL have proven they do....that being said there have been a few articles out the past few weeks so maybe there's finally a shift.

One other thing in terms of newspaper coverage in addition to what you said. The pandemic has made it a lot more difficult for newspapers to cover events, sports or otherwise. My wife is a newspaper reporter (not sports), so I definitely see what she has to go through to get her stories done. Very tiring.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
One other thing in terms of newspaper coverage in addition to what you said. The pandemic has made it a lot more difficult for newspapers to cover events, sports or otherwise. My wife is a newspaper reporter (not sports), so I definitely see what she has to go through to get her stories done. Very tiring.
The difference is, you can write a story about a game you watch online...It’s not that hard to do.

Reaction Score
The difference is, you can write a story about a game you watch online...It’s not that hard to do.

That is true. My wife is covering things online all the time. One thing for sure, it is a lot more exhausting doing it that way. Still, the big problem is that even with covering things online, newspapers still have limited staffs in what they do cover, and they seem to be getting smaller all the time as papers lose more readers. Of course, I've always maintained that if they covered more news (including more sports) they might find that they actually might gain more readers.

Reaction Score
That is true. My wife is covering things online all the time. One thing for sure, it is a lot more exhausting doing it that way. Still, the big problem is that even with covering things online, newspapers still have limited staffs in what they do cover, and they seem to be getting smaller all the time as papers lose more readers. Of course, I've always maintained that if they covered more news (including more sports) they might find that they actually might gain more readers.
You could do a book on what has happened to the news business. But I think ownership if huge. No local ownership. Trying to squeeze every dollar out of the paper to pay inflated values. And extremely slow reaction to a changing business Climate.

Reaction Score
You could do a book on what has happened to the news business. But I think ownership if huge. No local ownership. Trying to squeeze every dollar out of the paper to pay inflated values. And extremely slow reaction to a changing business Climate.

I agree. And not only is there very little local ownership, most papers are now part of large corporations where these days the bottom profit line is much more important than what gets reported. And often the profits get taken away from the local paper and very little is reinvested into the newspaper itself.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree. And not only is there very little local ownership, most papers are now part of large corporations where these days the bottom profit line is much more important than what gets reported. And often the profits get taken away from the local paper and very little is reinvested into the newspaper itself.

They still haven’t figured out how to make money. The print newspaper business is dead. Has been for years. So they set up websites with paywalls or use online ads or both. Basically trying to put Google Google is a losing game. The advertising driven model is a disaster and leads to horrible, biased content. More entertainment than news. The internet is pretty simple, free stuff is not free.

Suggestion: sell articles cheap using Apple Pay, Google Pay or PayPal. I live in MA, I am never going to subscribe to the Courant or Register, but I would pay 25 cents a Borges article. Has to be small numbers so that paying is worth even the five minute effort to find it free. They used to sell whole papers for not much more. Same for the big papers, WaPo, NYT, LA Times etc. If the only option you give me is subscribe or find a way around the paywall, I’m doing the latter every time.

Reaction Score
Number of games (including today) each of the teams with PTS% over .500 have played bottom feeders Maine, Merrimack and Vermont..........................

BC - 2
BU - 2
UConn - 2
UMass - 4
PC - 6
NU - 6
Dang. Those three teams are going to get shellacked the final few weeks of the season if they balance out the schedule.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Bad news for a hot UMass team. But at least we won’t be forced into playing them again in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom