2020-2021 UConn Men's Hockey | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 UConn Men's Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I forget where we are with this. Is there an automatic 2 week pause or is there isolation and further testing for 3-5 days?

Dan Connolly @ UConnBlog

“UConn’s two basketball programs also dealt with mid-season shutdowns. The women’s basketball team hit the pause button for 10 days after a non-player or coach tested positive while men’s basketball shut down twice. The second time, it was allowed to resume practice in a modified quarantine just one week after positive tests forced it to shut down.

The length of the men’s hockey team’s shutdown will likely depend on how many players and staff members test positive or are forced to quarantine due to additional testing and contact tracing.”

Reaction Score
Please forgive my ignorance, but considering HE is only playing HE how can PC be ranked 18 and UConn only receiving 2 votes with basically identical records.
Welcome to college hockey. If we win the national championship we’ll probably get into the Top 10, but some people won’t vote for us because we haven’t been around long enough. Of course the good news is if we win the national championship and then lose every game next year, some people will vote us into the top 25 because...

Reaction Score
Welcome to college hockey. If we win the national championship we’ll probably get into the Top 10, but some people won’t vote for us because we haven’t been around long enough. Of course the good news is if we win the national championship and then lose every game next year, some people will vote us into the top 25 because...
That explains Denver with a losing record.

Reaction Score
Please forgive my ignorance, but considering HE is only playing HE how can PC be ranked 18 and UConn only receiving 2 votes with basically identical records

Please forgive my ignorance, but considering HE is only playing HE how can PC be ranked 18 and UConn only receiving 2 votes with basically identical records.
Pedigree.

Considering two of PC's five wins were against bottom feeders Maine and Vermont, whom we haven't played (and aren't scheduled to), it rankles.............................but until we have an established pedigree we won't get that kind of benefit of the doubt.

Take 4+ points of UML this weekend, and we'll move up the ladder.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Pedigree.

Considering two of PC's five wins were against bottom feeders Maine and Vermont, whom we haven't played (and aren't scheduled to), it rankles.............................but until we have an established pedigree we won't get that kind of benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully. UML is on a Covid Pause since January 8th. They should come off this week, but no announcement yet.

Reaction Score
Back to the rankings discussion, I’m sure Cav will use it as bulletin board material, no respect, Yada yada yada.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pedigree.

Win and we don't need to worry about it. Schedule has been incredibly tough. Now win all the games against weaker teams. Not split, win almost all of them.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Alternate access link here<

Here is the last few lines that the Outline view cut off:

->Cavanaugh said the Huskies won’t dwell on things they can’t control. For now, the focus is on the top-ranked Eagles. Cavanaugh downplayed the notion of any “David and Goliath” story. That’s not how the Huskies, who received votes in the most recent men’s hockey poll, are viewing the matchup.

Even still, if UConn is playing the underdog role here ... “I hope it turns out the way it did for David and Goliath if that’s the case,” Cavanaugh said.<-

Reaction Score
The other problem, of course, I’d if the hockey team gets too successful we will start hearing and reading how they should really go back to Atlantic Hockey so as not to take the focus off what appears to be another middling basketball campaign...

Reaction Score

Others receiving votes: Notre Dame 65, Robert Morris 39, Bemidji State 32, Connecticut 21, Penn State 18, Lake Superior 13, Mercyhurst 7, Canisius 1

Reaction Score
Robert Morris has played one ranked opponent - Bowling Green - and lost to them twice (6-3 and 2-1).

and they're getting more votes than us....

Here are their wins:
Alabama-Huntsville (twice)
Canisius
Air Force (twice)
Niagara (four wins)
RIT (twice)

Losses:
Bowling Green (as mentioned before, lost to them twice)
Canisius
Mercyhurst (lost twice to them)

Why is Robert Morris getting more love than us? I know the easy answer is that many of those voting don't really pay attention...in which case just shut it down or have some kind of formulaic rankings every week.

But maybe there's something missing about the greatness of Robert Morris hockey?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99