2020-2021 Roster | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The most recent Dave Borges article sheds a lot of light onto the roster for next season. He basically said that they are definitely recruiting for two spots and possibly a 3rd. A big guard who can shoot and a front court player, most likely a grad transfer aka Bruner as I’ve been saying for weeks now. Not sure who they’re targeting as a big guard who can shoot tho. If the new transfer policy goes into affect next season, the college basketball landscape is going to change dramatically... either way, this isn’t anything surprising, just confirming what we basically already know. Hurley talked about his aggression in the late signing period numerous times and were starting to see what that might look like.

Reaction Score
He basically said that they are definitely recruiting for two spots and possibly a 3rd. A big guard who can shoot and a front court player, most likely a grad transfer

"Prior to Akok’s torn Achilles tendon he suffered in a Feb. 16 win over Memphis, Dan Hurley and his staff were concentrating on a big guard who can shoot and a center and/or power forward to close out the recruiting class for next year’s team. Now, finding a power forward climbs straight to the top of the Huskies’ needs. And UConn will likely go the grad transfer or junior college route to do so."

"while the Huskies have yet to have a player leave in Hurley’s two seasons on the job, it’s possible another player or two [in addition gilbert] could depart after this season due to various reasons (playing time, etc.). Especially if, as expected, the NCAA adopts a rule that allows players a one-time chance to transfer and play immediately."

soooo yeah hurley has been counting on at least 2 schollys opening up and maybe 3.

another interesting tidbit- "One issue in taking a true center out of high school for this class or, particularly, the Class of 2021 is the fact that the Huskies are definitely all-in on Donovan Clingan "

so where does that leave Sonogo and/or Etienne?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We shouldn't get a big just for the sake of getting a big. With all due respect, no more Yakwe's or Onuorah's. I think we need a high impact frontcourt guy or we should just go after the most talent.

As far as big guards who can shoot there are a few that should be grad transfers this year. Nate Darling from Delaware is my top pick. 6'5 and a sniper.

Reaction Score
how are we recruiting for three spots
The known AG factor, and there's 2 players Hurley has been very vocal about in his press conferences when calling them out. Both are mentioned in the Whaley thread

Reaction Score
I don’t know the rule on this but can I make it easier and just say Wilson/Carlton.
I would think Polley has a biggest decision to make. Playing injured or rehabbing your senior years is not a good career move. If Hurley is recruiting over him he doesn’t have a choice. Transferring and coming back as a PG seems like his best move. That’s sad because Polley if healthy could be the 4 replacement we badly need.
He is the most likely transfer candidate. Wilson is not a Hurley favorite but neither was Whaley and in a certain respect they are somewhat similar players.
Carlton will see minutes next year unless we recruit a stud 5. I don’t see the kids ready next year and Whaley will place some at the 4 against real big guys. With fouls at that position minutes are always available. If Carlton transfers it will be emotional rather than rational.

Reaction Score
Javonte Brown Ferguson is a big time project right now. No way he starts next year.

Hold on. Maybe Hurley will adopt the Olander strategy that sealed the 2014 NC. Start him, get him the ball for the first basket and then pull him. Once he feels comfortable he'll play more.

Reaction Score
I would think Polley has a biggest decision to make. Playing injured or rehabbing your senior years is not a good career move. If Hurley is recruiting over him he doesn’t have a choice.
i dont see hurley forcing polley out for two reasons off the top of my head: 1) hopefully he's recovered and ready to play next season which would be great. he's still too big of an asset; 2) if he's not recovered he won't have the options the other players do as an immediate transfer. not as many programs are willing to take on a medical redshirt. plus rehabbing at the school you've been at is an isolating enough experience, never mind having to do it at a new school
Why does no one mention Adams?
he's been averaging 30 mpg recently whereas carlton and sid are getting half that or less

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Prior to Akok’s torn Achilles tendon he suffered in a Feb. 16 win over Memphis, Dan Hurley and his staff were concentrating on a big guard who can shoot and a center and/or power forward to close out the recruiting class for next year’s team. Now, finding a power forward climbs straight to the top of the Huskies’ needs. And UConn will likely go the grad transfer or junior college route to do so."

"while the Huskies have yet to have a player leave in Hurley’s two seasons on the job, it’s possible another player or two [in addition gilbert] could depart after this season due to various reasons (playing time, etc.). Especially if, as expected, the NCAA adopts a rule that allows players a one-time chance to transfer and play immediately."

soooo yeah hurley has been counting on at least 2 schollys opening up and maybe 3.

another interesting tidbit- "One issue in taking a true center out of high school for this class or, particularly, the Class of 2021 is the fact that the Huskies are definitely all-in on Donovan Clingan "

so where does that leave Sonogo and/or Etienne?

Clingan is 2022. He can't reclass to 2021--might even go 2023.

Reaction Score
Clingan is 2022. He can't reclass to 2021--might even go 2023.
understood, it wasnt my opinion. but borges was stating taking a center in 2020 (e.g. sonogo) and definitely in 2021 (e.g. etienne) would complicate getting clingan in 2022. the implication perhaps being why would clingan be ok coming off the bench for 3 years? i see where he's coming from so if clingan reclasses to 2023 then great, but there's no way hurley can pass over either for clingan's sake

Last edited:
Reaction Score
how are we recruiting for three spots

AG graduating is one. Take a look at minutes being played and comments Hurley has been making lately and you'll find there's big clues.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with the premise in the article that we maybe should avoid recruiting a center for 2020(or 2021 for that matter), because we MIGHT land someone 2 years later in 2022. I want Clingan as much as anyone but that's an insane suggestion. There are no guarantees in recruiting and the center position will need bolstering before 2022 regardless. Best case scenario is Sanogo reclassifies, we land him, and he is so good for us he leaves in 2 years just in time for Clingan to come in. A guy could dream...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why does no one mention Adams?
I have to imagine that when Hurley recruited Adams he was straight up with him about what his role would be as a four year player at UConn and so far in his career I’m guessing the that he is either right on or has surpassed that trajectory. He has a chance to be a really good senior player on a potentially really good team in a couple years.

Reaction Score
Hasn't Whaley already replaced Akok?

Whaley blocks shots, rebounds, is good at put backs and short baby hooks after getting position. Guards the big for PG pick and roll really well.

All of those are center attributes. Our best lineup would be with him at the 5, because he's better than our 5 alternatives and he does the things well that centers do. Akok at least had the threat of spacing the floor.

We could get another 5, but then Whaley would just be duplicating those same things and we'd have worse spacing and playmaking. Theoretically we could get a 5 with great post moves who also does those same things well, but that doesn't really exist anymore.

It's easier to find a spacing or playmaking 4 who also defends his position.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Polley reminds me so much of Larrier and he was a shell post-ACL. He ushered in our era of guys 6’8” and up swearing off dunking. Hoping he comes back strong though

Reaction Score
1. In building the roster, you have to assume that Akok isn't playing and that Polley either isn't playing or can't be counted on as the same player. If that's not true, great, but you can't count on either. (I'm not a surgeon but I would be shocked if Akok even suits up next year.)

2. Having said that, there is no way they are pushing Polley out while he's rehabbing and trying to get back to full strength, even if he has to sit out a year and not be a big part of your plans the following year. Even in this college basketball world of little ethics and mores, you can't push out a kid for his fourth year who was keeping his nose clean and got hurt playing for you. If he spends next year rehabbing at UConn and doesn't have a fifth year coming, that's another story, but he's taking a roster spot next year.

Reaction Score
AG graduating is one. Take a look at minutes being played and comments Hurley has been making lately and you'll find there's big clues.

eh is he really going to sit out another full season because he’s being called out by the coach?

Reaction Score
eh is he really going to sit out another full season because he’s being called out by the coach?
If this new transfer policy is finalized (has backing of two of the most influential leagues) for the start of next season, college basketball is gonna be in a frenzy. I’d expect a ton more kids to throw their name in the transfer portal and bounce to a new school since they wouldn’t have to sit out a year. So much uncertainty there and what it may mean for player movement.

Reaction Score
Alterique is graduating in the Spring and would be immediately eligible to play anywhere, with or without the new transfer rules. He could also go somewhere and make money.

the concern is Hurley is looking to fill three spots and there is only one available now and maybe a second if Player X transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom