2020-2021 Roster | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will you really get banned if you say Sid is going to transfer and Gilbert may not leave?
I think this whole topic of the taboo of transfer speculation is absolutely ridiculous. I personally don't think it should be prohibited, but if it is, it should be enforced whether the statement is direct or weasel-worded.

For example, "I wonder what will happen with the player X and player Y situation, but I can't say anymore without running afoul of the rules." is functionally identical to saying, "Players X and Y may be transferring."

Reaction Score
I'll take my chances with this as my starting lineup (unless there is a big spring surprise) :

Bouknight
Jackson
Whaley
Cole
Gaffney

The issue here is we're undersized at pretty much all 5 positions if this is the starting lineup. I think I'd prefer Cole/Bouk/Jackson/Whaley/TBD. Even if TBD is another PF type, we're now adequate sized at at least 3 out of 5 spots...and gives us better depth at guard with both Gaffney and Adams coming off the bench. I think I'd even prefer Carlton starting at the 5 than Gaffney at the 2 and shifting the other guys down. We need Carlton to have a big summer and get back to the guy he was most of last season; hopefully shedding the weight and playing at 240-245 rather than 265 will help.

This is, of course, if we don't land Sanogo/Bruner or another plug and play 4/5 starter.

Reaction Score
I'll take my chances with this as my starting lineup (unless there is a big spring surprise) :

Bouknight
Jackson
Whaley
Cole
Gaffney

I just think this lineup is way too small. I think the most likely lineup will be Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Whaley, and Carlton with Jackson first off the bench.

Reaction Score
I just think this lineup is way too small. I think the most likely lineup will be Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Whaley, and Carlton with Jackson first off the bench.
Hard to imagine the way Hurley raved about JG yesterday that he isn’t starting next season. Whaley to me is better Suited at the 5. Buttttt the end of this season will give us a glimpse if Whaley and JC together can work together. If yesterday continues tho, Whaley at the 5 seemed to work better. I think pairing Whaley with a guy at the 4 makes sense. DH has said the roster isn’t final and they’re openly recruiting, let’s see how this shakes out first, it’ll be easier to project the line up that way.

Reaction Score
I'm ready to see any JC and IW lineups scrapped immediately as the spacing is awful. BA opens up driving lines and also gives JB room to penetrate. Simultaneously, although I realize Sid is struggling, his ability to slash and defend the parameter could unlock yet another lineup.

Reaction Score
It's a good problem to have, but I don't see how you can start both Cole and Gaffney without another true PG on the roster. They both deserve to start, but how can you tell either kid to ride the pine? Definitely not envious of DH. I'd almost rather bring Cole off the bench as the 6th man but give him starter minutes. If AG returns than I think you can start both, along with Bouk, Whaley and Josh. Don't think anyone else deserves to start upfront as our forwards that provide space in Polley and Akok are obviously injured.

In regards to a certain player, if the new NCAA transfer rule is in place and there is no more sitting out for a year, he definitely should look into what's out there for him. DH has made his message loud and clear and it appears to only resonate occasionally. We know the talent is there, the effort is not.

Reaction Score
Agree with your lineup but my guess is we'll be replacing Carlton with a yet to be named new player in the starting role. I think it's almost a shoo-in that Cole, Gaffney, and Bouknight will all start. Hurley loves running three guards.

Reaction Score
Here's what I'd do for next year:
PG - Cole
SG - Bouknight
SF - Jackson
PF - Whaley
C - Javonte Brown Ferguson
There's no way Carlton starts after being so freaking awful this year.

Reaction Score
So hard to predict. You have to think Gaffney, Bouknight and Cole start.

Maybe:

Gaffney
Cole
Bouknight
Springs
Whaley

I think Cole, Bouk, and Whaley are locks to start. I think Gaffney or Jackson take the 3rd guard spot. The C is the big question. Do we pick someone up in spring, is Richie Springs ready to step in, or do we roll with JC again?

Reaction Score
PG - Cole
SG - Bouknight
SF - Jackson
PF - (Bruner?)
C - Whaley

Or

PG - Cole
SG - Gaffney
SF - Bouknight
PF - (Bruner?)
C - Whaley

Just watched some video and Jordan Bruner would pair nicely with Whaley.

I think Whaley has earned first shot at starting center. Even undersized, he's shown he's crafty enough and has the leaping ability to defend the 5. He's looked better asset the 5 in or small lineups than planting at the 4 alongside Carlton. And I don't think we can trust Carlton.

Gaffney has also earned a shot at a camp battle with Jackson to see who earns fifth starter status.

Reaction Score
Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight are all locks to start. I think we've seen enough from Hurley to say Jackson isn't starting to begin the year. 4/5 is hard to predict right now but if I had to guess it'll be Whaley and someone not currently on the roster

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Javonte Brown Ferguson is a big time project right now. No way he starts next year.

Bah. We don't know what he will be able to do. He's long and athletic. If he can catch and dunk, rebound and recover more quickly than Josh in the paint, he's an upgrade. Whaley is not a center. He's at his best when he's not guarding 5s.

My prediction:

1: Cole
2. Bouknight [Gaffney if Bouk is at the 3]
3. ?? [Jackson, Polley, Bouk, Grad Transfer]
4. Bruner if we get him, if not Whaley until Akok is ready
5. Nobody on the current roster. Javonte Brown Ferguson, Springs, Grad Transfer, other freshman.

I think that shows just how much change is coming. Dan keeps telling us.

Reaction Score
The issue here is we're undersized at pretty much all 5 positions if this is the starting lineup. I think I'd prefer Cole/Bouk/Jackson/Whaley/TBD. Even if TBD is another PF type, we're now adequate sized at at least 3 out of 5 spots...and gives us better depth at guard with both Gaffney and Adams coming off the bench. I think I'd even prefer Carlton starting at the 5 than Gaffney at the 2 and shifting the other guys down. We need Carlton to have a big summer and get back to the guy he was most of last season; hopefully shedding the weight and playing at 240-245 rather than 265 will help.

This is, of course, if we don't land Sanogo/Bruner or another plug and play 4/5 starter.

Unless it's a stretch 4, you can't play another big alongside Whaley, for the same reason you can't play Carlton alongside Whaley. You're essentially playing 3 on 5 on offense. That's not to say those guys can't score, but they're in no way a threat in the flow of the offense -- the defense doesn't have to worry about them.

Reaction Score
PG - Cole
SG - Bouknight
SF - Jackson
PF - (Bruner?)
C - Whaley

Or

PG - Cole
SG - Gaffney
SF - Bouknight
PF - (Bruner?)
C - Whaley

Just watched some video and Jordan Bruner would pair nicely with Whaley.

I think Whaley has earned first shot at starting center. Even undersized, he's shown he's crafty enough and has the leaping ability to defend the 5. He's looked better asset the 5 in or small lineups than planting at the 4 alongside Carlton. And I don't think we can trust Carlton.

Gaffney has also earned a shot at a camp battle with Jackson to see who earns fifth starter status.

The 2nd one is what it will be. No chance a freshman starts over Gaffney. Jackson will be a great weapon to bring off the bench to either go small (the PF sits) or big (Gaffney or Cole sit).

We really could use a Shonn Miller type for next year.

Reaction Score
Unless it's a stretch 4, you can't play another big alongside Whaley, for the same reason you can't play Carlton alongside Whaley. You're essentially playing 3 on 5 on offense. That's not to say those guys can't score, but they're in no way a threat in the flow of the offense -- the defense doesn't have to worry about them.

If that’s the case then what about:
PG RJ Cole
SG Jalen Gafney
SF James Bouknight
PF Andre Jackson
C Isaiah Whaley

That lineup has scary athleticism and would be fantastic in transition but it’s literally undersized 1-5.

Reaction Score
If that’s the case then what about:
PG RJ Cole
SG Jalen Gafney
SF James Bouknight
PF Andre Jackson
C Isaiah Whaley

That lineup has scary athleticism and would be fantastic in transition but it’s literally undersized 1-5.

You'll see that lineup for a few minutes here and there, or maybe even our "Death Lineup" at the end of games, but that's not the starting lineup.

Being undersized isn't the problem it used to be, especially at the 1-4.

Reaction Score
Having two starters coming off long recovery duration type injuries, makes things challenging.
All of the above, is not even factoring in AG and Sid situations, which will get resolution sooner.

we have a better chance of picking a perfect bracket this year then guessing who's coming, who's going, and who's starting next year. i like projecting as much as anyone but there are just too many moving parts. not ideal but it's year 2 of a rebuild.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

we have a better chance of picking a perfect bracket this year then guessing who's coming, who's going, and who's starting next year. i like projecting as much as anyone but there are just too many moving parts. not ideal but it's year 2 of a rebuild.
Injuries complicate too.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
What's the scuttlebutt on how Springs has looked in practice?

Reaction Score

Bouknight
Jackson
Whaley
Cole
Gaffney
Agreed, Hurley used the 4 guard lineup at URI and it worked. Jackson looks like a great rebounding guard/forward. We'll see a lot more of these kind of lineups than people think

Reaction Score
Agreed, Hurley used the 4 guard lineup at URI and it worked. Jackson looks like a great rebounding guard/forward. We'll see a lot more of these kind of lineups than people think

i dont care how high AJ can jump he's still only 6'6 180. for a lineup to be that undersized at least 4 of the guys should be able to hit three pointers, and preferably all of them, but I only see 3 competent shooters in between cole, gaff, bouk, AJ, and whaley

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99