F Springs
F Whaley
F Wilson
G/F Jackson
G Bouknight
G Gaffney
G Adams
G Cole
G Gilbert (?) - we don't need to speculate on staying or going, I just want to make sure I have the count right.

Injured:

Akok
Polley

Am I missing someone?

Reaction Score
This is our roster for next year:

C Carlton
F Brown-Ferguson
F Springs
F Whaley
F Wilson
G/F Jackson
G Bouknight
G Gaffney
G Adams
G Cole
G Gilbert (?) - we don't need to speculate on staying or going, I just want to make sure I have the count right.

Injured:

Akok
Polley

Am I missing someone?
Why are you listing Javonte Brown Ferguson as a forward? You’ve got the number listed correctly, but this won’t be the final roster going into the NBE next season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why are you listing Javonte Brown Ferguson as a forward? You’ve got the number listed correctly, but this won’t be the final roster going into the NBE next season.

You really think Hurley is going to run players off after losing Akok and Polley?

Reaction Score
You really think Hurley is going to run players off after losing Akok and Polley?
Didn’t say running off players. Just stayed the roster you listed won’t be the final one. He’s essentially said as such on numerous occasions, highlighting his “aggressiveness” in the late signing period.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn needs a major upside surprise out of the frontcourt next year if it hopes to go to the NCAA Tournament. I like Carlton and Whaley, but I don't know that those two can get UConn to 20+ wins with a Big East schedule.

Reaction Score
I expect that Polley will be a full go from preseason camp. He was injured in Jan, Camp starts in Sept that gives him 8-9 months, well within the 6-9 month guideline. Still, I bet he eases into competition giving Jackson/Springs a chance to start early.

With that, here's how our lineup will look. I assume Alterique will stick to his plan at the beginning of the year and graduate.

PG - Cole, Gaffney
SG - Bouknight, Adams
SF - Jackson, Polley
F - Porkchop, Sid
F - Springs, Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson

Injured(questionable for year) - Akok - I bet he requests a redshirt and sits the whole year out.

Reaction Score
What are the odds of Polley being back in time to start next season?

Reaction Score
I expect that Polley will be a full go from preseason camp. He was injured in Jan, Camp starts in Sept that gives him 8-9 months, well within the 6-9 month guideline. Still, I bet he eases into competition giving Jackson/Springs a chance to start early.

With that, here's how our lineup will look. I assume Alterique will stick to his plan at the beginning of the year and graduate.

PG - Cole, Gaffney
SG - Bouknight, Adams
SF - Jackson, Polley
F - Porkchop, Sid

Injured(questionable for year) - Akok - I bet he requests a redshirt and sits the whole year out.
He better. And Est lots of red meat and put up lots of weights. Need him to grow and prepare for the game his new body may be better suited for. I’d take 2” off his vertical to clear out 2’ of paint.

Reaction Score
He better. And Est lots of red meat and put up lots of weights. Need him to grow and prepare for the game his new body may be better suited for. I’d take 2” off his vertical to clear out 2’ of paint.

Prepare for the game his new body may be suited for? This aint 1982. He won't be like hobbling in a clunky metal brace. Its an ACL injury, he'll be back at 100 %.

Reaction Score
Prepare for the game his new body may be suited for? This aint 1982. He won't be like hobbling in a clunky metal brace. Its an ACL injury, he'll be back at 100 %.
ACLs aren’t a death sentence like they used to be, but saying he’ll be back at 100% by the start of next season is very unlikely. It often takes top athletes over 18 months to get back to being 100%. His game doesn’t revolve around elite athleticism which is good, but it’s still gonna take time. I’m not banking on him even starting the season. As far as the body thing, we don’t need him to balloon up in weight. Idk what it is about this boards obsession with getting big for the sake of getting big. He’s a shooter, he’s not a physical banger. It’s good to add strength but we don’t need him to get to being a linebacker and have it affect his 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
I still say we are well on track for a tournament bid next year. Even with the injuries we’re 2 deep at every position.

PG: Cole, Gaffney
SG: Bouknight, Adams
SF: Jackson, Wilson
PF: Whaley, Springs
C: Carlton, Brown-Ferguson

I can’t be the only one thinking that squad alone has the chance to be really good. Allow Polley + Akok to ease in if they’re recovery allows and all is good. The 10 listed above will make some noise in the Big East.

Reaction Score

PG - Cole, Gaffney
SG - Bouknight, Adams
SF - Jackson, Polley
F - Porkchop, Sid

Agree on the first. Disagree on the second. The most current trend is actually waiting longer then historically on ACL return to play. If he returned before 9 months I would be shocked and pleasantly surprised. I’m thinking more 10-12 months.

Reaction Score
I can’t be the only one thinking that squad alone has the chance to be really good. ]

You're not. I think we're a top 10 team if Bouk returns. Cole, Bouk and Jackson could be a spectacular perimeter. Whaley's emergence softens the loss of AKOK although we now need Springs to be a solid player off the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not fully convinced we need a big more than a shooter/ball handler for next year. Assuming everyone currently on the roster stays besides AG I think we are still a guard short. Carlton, Whaley, Springs, then Polley/Sid at 4 in small lineups could be enough but I trust Hurley's judgement to fill that last spot.

I still have PTSD from our lack of guard depth a few years ago when we resorted to Purvis as PG one game.

Reaction Score
I still say we are well on track for a tournament bid next year. Even with the injuries we’re 2 deep at every position.

PG: Cole, Gaffney
SG: Bouknight, Adams
SF: Jackson, Wilson
PF: Whaley, Springs
C: Carlton, Brown-Ferguson

I can’t be the only one thinking that squad alone has the chance to be really good. Allow Polley + Akok to ease in if they’re recovery allows and all is good. The 10 listed above will make some noise in the Big East.
If the AA injury is what we think it is, don’t you think he’s out for next season? Just looking at a guy like KD and seeing the timetable he’s on, he’s not playing this season.. I feel good about the team, but still feel like they could use another piece. If Tyler Phommachanh can bounce back and give them some production next season that’d be huge. Not gonna be easy to replace AA rim protection tho. Curious how the coaching staff approaches this spring...

Reaction Score
I'm not fully convinced we need a big more than a shooter/ball handler for next year. Assuming everyone currently on the roster stays besides AG I think we are still a guard short. Carlton, Whaley, Springs, then Polley/Sid at 4 in small lineups could be enough but I trust Hurley's judgement to fill that last spot.

I still have PTSD from our lack of guard depth a few years ago when we resorted to Purvis as PG one game.

Assuming Gilbert leaves, we would lack depth in the backcourt if we don't bring in another guard. But it's the frontcourt where we need the biggest talent upgrade, particularly if Akok misses the season. It still seems like we'll be one year away from having as much talent and depth from top to bottom as we'd like.

Reaction Score
If the AA injury is what we think it is, don’t you think he’s out for next season? Just looking at a guy like KD and seeing the timetable he’s on, he’s not playing this season.. I feel good about the team, but still feel like they could use another piece. If Tyler Phommachanh can bounce back and give them some production next season that’d be huge. Not gonna be easy to replace AA rim protection tho. Curious how the coaching staff approaches this spring...
Jordan Bruner on Yale plays very similar to AA. Solid shot blocker and rebounder and usually good for at least one 3-pointer a game.

Reaction Score
Assuming Gilbert leaves, we would lack depth in the backcourt if we don't bring in another guard. But it's the frontcourt where we need the biggest talent upgrade, particularly if Akok misses the season. It still seems like we'll be one year away from having as much talent and depth from top to bottom as we'd like.
Agreed. I think IF Jackson can handle the ball as decent as CV and replace CV’s guard rebounding, then if Cole replaces CV with 3pt shooting we can feel comfortable with Jackson as the 5th guard and recruit a big guy with that last scholarship spot. If we view Jackson as a forward then I wouldn’t be fully comfortable with the backcourt depth

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
For ACL reference google highlights of Larrier in G league.
He is not the same guy athletically who rehabbed his senior year here.
No way Polley is 100%.
Good thing we only need Polley to come off the bench and hit three's. He wasn't athletic prior to his injury like Larrier was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom