2020-2021 Roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed. I think IF Jackson can handle the ball as decent as CV and replace CV’s guard rebounding, then if Cole replaces CV with 3pt shooting we can feel comfortable with Jackson as the 5th guard and recruit a big guy with that last scholarship spot. If we view Jackson as a forward then I wouldn’t be fully comfortable with the backcourt depth
I think at this point, it’s prolly smarter to target a big than another guard. I feel more confident in Jackson being able to contribute next season than Javonte Brown Ferguson, just given Javonte Brown Ferguson will be a reclass freshmen and at a position that takes time to develop. They’ll need some ball handling from AJ, but I think they’ll be okay there. With AA going down, targeting another big who can defend, block shots, and knock down the occasionally 3 is the bigger need.

Reaction Score
Jordan Bruner on Yale plays very similar to AA. Solid shot blocker and rebounder and usually good for at least one 3-pointer a game.

I know others have mentioned him on the board before. I didn't know if he would want to play behind Akok. Now he makes all the sense in the world.

Reaction Score
You're not. I think we're a top 10 team if Bouk returns. Cole, Bouk and Jackson could be a spectacular perimeter. Whaley's emergence softens the loss of AKOK although we now need Springs to be a solid player off the bench.

Yeah Cole, Bouk, and Jackson in the backcourt with Gaffney, Adams, and Wilson off the bench. That’s going to do some damage. Definitely need Springs to step up big time. He’ll likely be playing a minimum of 20 minutes a night.

Reaction Score
I think at this point, it’s prolly smarter to target a big than another guard. I feel more confident in Jackson being able to contribute next season than Javonte Brown Ferguson, just given Javonte Brown Ferguson will be a reclass freshmen and at a position that takes time to develop. They’ll need some ball handling from AJ, but I think they’ll be okay there. With AA going down, targeting another big who can defend, block shots, and knock down the occasionally 3 is the bigger need.
I agree, the more I think about it Bouknight and Adams have ball handling ability too in case Gaffney or Cole go down (God forbid). Think Hurley needs to develop Jackson strictly as a guard coming in. But you’re right we need a big, I don’t quite trust Javonte yet. We’ll see though.

Wonder what Sid’s role will be next year too, he seemed trapped behind Jackson, polley and AA next year but he could be a key guy that plays the 3 and 4 next year

Reaction Score
I agree, the more I think about it Bouknight and Adams have ball handling ability too in case Gaffney or Cole go down (God forbid). Think Hurley needs to develop Jackson strictly as a guard coming in. But you’re right we need a big, I don’t quite trust Javonte yet. We’ll see though.

Wonder what Sid’s role will be next year too, he seemed trapped behind Jackson, polley and AA next year but he could be a key guy that plays the 3 and 4 next year
I’m worried less about the ball handling and more about the shooting. I think they have enough there if AJ can provide some of that. Like I said, hopefully Tyler Phommachanh can bounce back and give some production later in the season next year. If so, targeting a big is a top priority. Hard to find the exact player but a guy who can step out and be a respectable 3 point shooter, while providing some rim protection and positional flexibility at the 4/5 would be ideal. I have no clue what to expect from SW next season, he’s so up and down. He has potential but he’s sort of the awkward tweener.

Reaction Score
AJ Price tore his ACL during the 2008 NCAA Tournament. He came back pretty much 100% to start the 2008-2009 season, a year in which he was a main contributor for a Final Four run. I think Polley will be fine.

Reaction Score
I still say we are well on track for a tournament bid next year. Even with the injuries we’re 2 deep at every position.

PG: Cole, Gaffney
SG: Bouknight, Adams
SF: Jackson, Wilson
PF: Whaley, Springs
C: Carlton, Brown-Ferguson

I can’t be the only one thinking that squad alone has the chance to be really good. Allow Polley + Akok to ease in if they’re recovery allows and all is good. The 10 listed above will make some noise in the Big East.

you can’t play three guys who can’t shoot. The Akok injury prolly forces Jackson or Wilson to start at the four. Depending on Polley’s health. I like Cole/Gaffney with Adams and Bouknight on the wing with Jackson at the four.

Reaction Score
For ACL reference google highlights of Larrier in G league.
He is not the same guy athletically who rehabbed his senior year here.
No way Polley is 100%.
Forgot about Larrier

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
For ACL reference google highlights of Larrier in G league.
He is not the same guy athletically who rehabbed his senior year here.
No way Polley is 100%.
What's the term called when you use one historical example to make a generality about another separate situation?

Plenty of people have come back from ACLs 100%. Plenty have not. We will have to see.

Reaction Score
you can’t play three guys who can’t shoot. The Akok injury prolly forces Jackson or Wilson to start at the four. Depending on Polley’s health. I like Cole/Gaffney with Adams and Bouknight on the wing with Jackson at the four.

Jackson has been a post defender all four years in hs in that 23 zone of theirs. Not ideal to have them at the 4, but I think it's doable for sid/jackson to split 4 duties. Will need Springs for bigger more traditional 4s. Don't see them much in the NBE though

Reaction Score
PG: Cole, Gaffney
SG: Bouknight, Adams
SF: Jackson, Wilson
PF: Whaley, Springs
C: Carlton, Brown-Ferguson

stretch-5 grad transfer please. Any out there? Desperately need another big and more shooting. Two birds one stone.

Reaction Score
stretch-5 grad transfer please. Any out there? Desperately need another big and more shooting. Two birds one stone.

He was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Jordan Bruner of Yale might be a grad transfer target who would provide rebounding, some shot-blocking, and a little outside shooting.

Attachments

• 4F626E80-B360-4453-98F5-A9629D5CB750.png
    4F626E80-B360-4453-98F5-A9629D5CB750.png
    348.3 KB · Views: 161
Reaction Score
He was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Jordan Bruner of Yale might be a grad transfer target who would provide rebounding, some shot-blocking, and a little outside shooting.
I just did a little research on this kid, and if he becomes available, the staff should make him a number one priority for next season. We like to judge these mid major kids on how they played vs top D1 competition. I know UNC is having a down year, but Bruner had 17 pts, 15 boards, while shooting 2-4 from three point range. I think he would be a good choice to bridge the gap if Akok misses the entire season and while we wait for Javonte Brown Ferguson to develop.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Good but he played very tentatively before the injury, sans his last game. I’m afraid post injury Polley might be unplayable.

I think it'll have the opposite effect. He's going to come back a hungry Husky.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Much is being discussed about our need for a center I don’t see it. We’ll have 2 senior centers, who’ve been part of our rotation for 4 years, Richie Springs who is 6’10ish(?) now and a 7 foot freshman. What we need is a hybrid/stretch forward with Akok likely out and Polley coming off injury. A tough 6’7/6’8 kid who can rebound and hit 3s would be ideal.

Reaction Score
You're not. I think we're a top 10 team if Bouk returns. Cole, Bouk and Jackson could be a spectacular perimeter. Whaley's emergence softens the loss of AKOK although we now need Springs to be a solid player off the bench.
Wow

Reaction Score
Two huge parts of the ACL recovery process are 1) how hard you rehab, and 2) mental. Mental is huge in coming back with confidence after a torn ACL. That's why every case is different and why some guys aren't the same afterwards.

Reaction Score
Much is being discussed about our need for a center I don’t see it. We’ll have 2 senior centers, who’ve been part of our rotation for 4 years, Richie Springs who is 6’10ish(?) now and a 7 foot freshman. What we need is a hybrid/stretch forward with Akok likely out and Polley coming off injury. A tough 6’7/6’8 kid who can rebound and hit 3s would be ideal.

springs (who i think will play more 4 than 5) and brown are complete unknowns, whaley is undersized for a 5, and if you're still counting on carlton then god bless you. i have more hope in polley playing some stretch 4 after 9-10 months of lifting.

having said that, a stretch 4 like Bruner would still be awesome i'm not being picky.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People need to pump the breaks on being a Top 10 team next year. Our bigs aren't of that caliber. And the BE is significantly better than the AAC. I keep repeating this because it's crazy: 1-11 DePaul is 80 in KenPom, right between SMU and Tulsa. 1-11 DePaul would be favored at home against every team in this league except Houston and Cincy. That's you're "gimme."

They'll be better than this year, and I think their record will be a little better, but unless Bouk is on an AA team to end the year, they'll be a tournament team that, if the chips fall the right way, they might be able to make a little run.

Reaction Score
People need to pump the breaks on being a Top 10 team next year. Our bigs aren't of that caliber. And the BE is significantly better than the AAC. I keep repeating this because it's crazy: 1-11 DePaul is 80 in KenPom, right between SMU and Tulsa. 1-11 DePaul would be favored at home against every team in this league except Houston and Cincy. That's you're "gimme."

They'll be better than this year, and I think their record will be a little better, but unless Bouk is on an AA team to end the year, they'll be a tournament team that, if the chips fall the right way, they might be able to make a little run.
Big East is having a “down” year, too. It’ll be loaded next year.

Prior to the Akok injury I was expecting 4 to 7 wins in BE play next year. With him likely out the entire year, I’m not incredibly hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom