2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News

Reaction Score
Can’t help but like Coach Graves.
Interesting that he has each player write down the expected minutes they want to play. As a player what would be the best answer or is there one? They way he is in the video is truly the way he is out in public if you meet him as a fan. Real laid back.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
For those who might be interested here are some recent comments by UO's Kelly Graves on Sedona Prince:

“As dominant as Ruthy was in the low post, we’ve added an equally as dominant player in the low post who also has the ability to step out and do things,” Graves said. “So we’re trying to play through (Prince) a little bit more. In the past we’ve played through Sabrina and Satou, and now we might play through our inside people.”

Kelly Graves' Oregon Ducks women's basketball team adjusting to new normal

In a comment some time ago, he commented that Prince's ability to pass from the high post reminded him of Bill Walton. He also stated in another recent interview that he thinks (hopes) the synergy between Tehina PaoPao and Prince will be a new version of the Ionescu/Hebard combination that was so central to Oregon's success over the past 4 years:

What's next for Oregon basketball without Sabrina, according to Kelly Graves

His statement in the NCAA interview about his distaste for "micro-managing" players on the court may be telling as well.

Reaction Score
For those who might be interested here are some recent comments by UO's Kelly Graves on Sedona Prince:

“As dominant as Ruthy was in the low post, we’ve added an equally as dominant player in the low post who also has the ability to step out and do things,” Graves said. “So we’re trying to play through (Prince) a little bit more. In the past we’ve played through Sabrina and Satou, and now we might play through our inside people.”

In a comment some time ago, he commented that Prince's ability to pass from the high post reminded him of Bill Walton. He also stated in another recent interview that he thinks (hopes) the synergy between Tehina PaoPao and Prince will be a new version of the Ionescu/Hebard combination that was so central to Oregon's success over the past 4 years:

His statement in the NCAA interview about his distaste for "micro-managing" players on the court may be telling as well.

Personally I think Prince still has a few things to prove before I see her as a go to scorer for a team but only time will tell. It sounds like 2 of his starters are set, in Prince and Paopao, and I’m going to assume that Boley, Chavez or Parrish will round out the starting 5 with Mikesell. Someone said left Mikesell left Maryland because she wanted to be a point guard, but it sounds like Paopao will be the point guard. The ducks will have a young bench, but seem pretty stacked.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Personally I think Prince still has a few things to prove before I see her as a go to scorer for a team but only time will tell. It sounds like 2 of his starters are set, in Prince and Paopao, and I’m going to assume that Boley, Chavez or Parrish will round out the starting 5 with Mikesell. Someone said left Mikesell left Maryland because she wanted to be a point guard, but it sounds like Paopao will be the point guard. The ducks will have a young bench, but seem pretty stacked.

Not sure but I wouldn't count out Jaz Shelley. She played in all 33 games averaged almost 20 minutes a game. She had a game where she hit 10 3's in a game.

Reaction Score
I would bet Aussie Jaz Shelley will definitely be one of the five.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Oregon is one of the most intriguing teams in the country this season. They have a LOT of new talent and one of the best coaches in the country.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

That is a big, somewhat unexpected loss. I saw her play against the Irish last year at Rose Hill (still a great place to see a game) and she's tough. Little bit streaky, but she can carry a team (as she did) when she's on. With her, four of the top four Ram scorers were backand they woudd've been highly rated in their league. Still, there's a lot of talent back.

Would expect Anna DeWolfe, the sophomore guard from the hotbed of Cumberland, Maine, to become to tone setter now. She was 2nd in scoring last year. Sarah Karpell, another sophomore, will probably settle into the PG role. She's from St. John's Vianney in NJ.

HC Stephanie Gaitley has done a solid job, combining kids from solid local HS programs (St. John's, Ursuline Academy) with gems from unusual places, including Down Under. She's got a senior from New Zealand and a freshman from Australia this year.

Go Rams!

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Niele Ivey Holds Pre-Season Zoom Press Conference

Takeaways from Anthony Andersen article (linked. Thanks to fellow Bencher MPG)

- Injuries: Centers Mikayla Vaughn and Nat Marshall are not cleared to play. Vaughn is expected back in a month and a half, which would put her back in early to mid-December, at best, after the Irish season starts. Danielle Cosgrove is on a leave of absence until second semester.

If Marshall is not cleared, the Irish will not have any posts or even very tall forwards (Sam Brunelle and frosh Maddy Westbeld & Amirah Abdul-Rahim are all 6'2").

Ivey brought up that Sam Brunelle has recovered from tendinitis, which most Irish watchers were not aware of.

- Who's catching her eye?
-- Dara Mabrey for her play (three point shooting, driving and ability to play fast, which Ivey wants to do) and her leadership (along with Vaughn).
-- Anaya Peoples, who has come back from inury and is in great shape. Expects her to continue to grow.
-- Maddy Westbeld. Ivey thinks she came in with a "college-ready" body and can play all five positions. Don't expect her to do that, but that's a tip to her handle.

- Starting Lineup?

Too early for her...she's working with a holistic approach.
However, if you read both the lines and between them, I'd say Brunelle, Mabrey, Peoples and Westbeld will all be solid candidates. With the lack of height, Peoples' ability to rebound (her 8.1 rpg led the Irish last year) is important.

If Vaughn is out, I'd expect a lot of modified Princeton offense with Westbeld located around the top of the key...just like her sister. (With Mabrey and Westbeld, the more things change, the more they stay the same.)

There's also Katlyn Gilbert, who can handle the ball well and has a solid mid-range game; Destinee Walker, the streaky shooter who can also drive; and, Abby Prohaska, the "i will be in your face at all times" defender who will probably play early and often, even if she does not start.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
BTW, Graham Hays should've had someone check his copy last night. Wrong first name for "Bre" Cavanaugh and consistently refers to her as "He" and "his" in the copy. Unusual for Graham.

Per his Instagram post, Bryson Cavanaugh, goes by He/Him/His pronouns. So, Hays in this situation was correct. Cavanaugh has come out as a trans man. May be part of why he has chosen to leave the team. He refers to it as the "Bre Cavanaugh Era" being over. So congrats to him on finding the strength to be true to himself in such a public way.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That is a big, somewhat unexpected loss. I saw her play against the Irish last year at Rose Hill (still a great place to see a game) and she's tough. Little bit streaky, but she can carry a team (as she did) when she's on. With her, four of the top four Ram scorers were backand they woudd've been highly rated in their league. Still, there's a lot of talent back.

Would expect Anna DeWolfe, the sophomore guard from the hotbed of Cumberland, Maine, to become to tone setter now. She was 2nd in scoring last year. Sarah Karpell, another sophomore, will probably settle into the PG role. She's from St. John's Vianney in NJ.

HC Stephanie Gaitley has done a solid job, combining kids from solid local HS programs (St. John's, Ursuline Academy) with gems from unusual places, including Down Under. She's got a senior from New Zealand and a freshman from Australia this year.

Go Rams!

BTW, Graham Hays should've had someone check his copy last night. Wrong first name for "Bre" Cavanaugh and consistently refers to her as "He" and "his" in the copy. Unusual for Graham.
I can't cheer too much for Fordham. They are in the same conference as my St. Louis University Lady Billikens. Go Billikens!

Reaction Score

Go Rams!

Actually, it's correct as Cavanaugh is transitioning (see link below). I think the writer deserves some kudos for trying to respect how Cavanuagh sees himself. Usually they'd still refer to the person as "she" and note the transition.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Actually, it's correct as Cavanaugh is transitioning (see link below). I think the writer deserves some kudos for trying to respect how Cavanuagh sees himself. Usually they'd still refer to the person as "she" and note the transition.

What's that line from The Wizard of Oz, "Why didn't you say so in the first place?" All power to Cavanaugh for moving forward and best of luck to him. My brother came out in the mid-70's and you'll always find an advocate for following your inner light with me.

However, this sure didn't seem like common knowledge. Maybe a paragraph would've helped bring the "not in the know" folks up to speed. Good luck in his next career.

The rest on Fordham holds. Go Rams!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom