2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News

Reaction Score
Good for them. I wish Ole Miss had entered a waiver for Shakira Austin. Austin should be playing this year as well... if Mikesell can play, so should she.
Is it too late?

Reaction Score
That doesn't surprise me...she sat out (most of) last year due to injuries.

She should help Kentucky in the pain this year.
Is O Owens completely recovered or is there still some concern? She has potential to fill a big need for Kentucky.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Is it too late?

I’m not sure, but hopefully they rethink that decision of submitting. This whole thing just seems so unfair to me and it’s annoying that the same schools keep getting waivers approved. I’m not talking about Oregon.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Is O Owens completely recovered or is there still some concern? She has potential to fill a big need for Kentucky.

Military Dog: Man, HIPAA is being followed to the max on this one. Virtually every article has "Medical Issues" and that's it in regards to last year. I don't remember anything being written about surgery when she was at Maryland, so I'm going to guess/hope that she's AOK.

And, I'm in total agreement that she can fill a need for the Wildcats.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Sad to see this, but hopefully she can come back strong and healthy in 2021-22.

It was already a stretch to see this as a rebound season for the Sooners, even with Llanusa's experience and leadership, but now even more so. Other than Robertson's sharpshooting, I'm seeing few serious offensive threats on their roster ... and plenty of defensive liabilities to go around.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sad to see this, but hopefully she can come back strong and healthy in 2021-22.

It was already a stretch to see this as a rebound season for the Sooners, even with Llanusa's experience and leadership, but now even more so. Other than Robertson's sharpshooting, I'm seeing few serious offensive threats on their roster ... and plenty of defensive liabilities to go around.
I hope Robertson has extended her range to 60'.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
The Pac 12 has apparently set the regular conference schedule at 22 games for this year. That''s home and away across the board, and so 4 more conference games than has been the case in the recent past. If it remains unchanged, the conference tournament will add (potentially) 3 more.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Pac 12 has apparently set the regular conference schedule at 22 games for this year. That''s home and away across the board, and so 4 more conference games than has been the case in the recent past. If it remains unchanged, the conference tournament will add (potentially) 3 more.
Have they done any preseason polls yet for the PAC12 as I suspect the top 3 should be Stanford, Arizona, Oregon and then who knows (UCLA, OSU, ASU) and heck even USC should be improved.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Have they done any preseason polls yet for the PAC12 as I suspect the top 3 should be Stanford, Arizona, Oregon and then who knows (UCLA, OSU, ASU) and heck even USC should be improved.
I'm not aware of any. I think Oregon also belongs in the "who knows" category at this point. There are a lot of If's, to put it mildly (will Sedona Prince fulfill her potential and beome "one of the best players in the nation"--Graves's view; is Nyara Sabally's knee finally healed; are the freshmen, and especially Tehina PaoPao, as good as advertised, etc., etc.?). If all of this, and more, breaks as Oregon fans hope, then I think they will challenge Stanford for the title. If not . . . .

Reaction Score

There are not any preseason polls yet.

I’d say the Pac-12 probably looks something like this:

1A. Stanford: The return of Haley Jones to go along with Lexie Hull and Kiana Williams makes this a formidable Stanford squad. How far they go will likely depend on the development of Ashten Prechtel, Francesca Belibi, Cameron Brink, and Alyssa Jerome in the post.

1B. Arizona: Aari McDonald will have a good battle for POY Honors with rivals Kiana Williams and Michaela Onyenwere. Arizona snatched a victory in OT over Stanford last season on their home court; moreover, they bought in reinforcements to provide a fierce supporting cast to their squad. Bendu Yeaney arrives from Indiana, along with a contingent of Freshman including Lauren Ware. This will be a tough Arizona squad to beat.

3. UCLA: Michaela Onyenwere and Charisma Osbourne combine to make an exciting duo for the Bruins; however, there will be ground to make up after the departure of the director of the offense in Japreece Dean. Lindsay Corsaro, Natalie Chou, and Lauryn Miller will have to step up to help. Emily Bessoir and Gemma Potter should contribute right away as the Bruins make one last good run with Onyenwere.

4. Oregon: Does anyone know how to rank Oregon this year? They have a VERY promising freshman class combined with the talent left on campus in Jazz Shelly, Nyara Sabally, and Sedona Price. Their ceiling is likely dependent on whether Sabally or Price can be healthy this season and how they contribute to the reload in Oregon after the departure of Ionescu.

The Middle of the Pac:

USC:
Endiya Rogers and Alissa Pilli combine for a good duo in Los Angeles; however, the loss of Overbeck and Alyssa Jeune makes me cautious about the ceiling for this team. Do the Women of Troy have enough talent surrounding Pilli and Rogers to consistently bring it in the Pac?

Utah: Brynna Maxwell and Lola Pendande starred on campus last season and Utah returns a lot of good pieces from a team that remains incredibly young and has a great future. Colorado was definitely closer in big games against the upper tier of the conference, but with the Utes returning more pieces, and a year older, I have to wonder if they'll be able to put the pieces of the puzzle together sooner.

Oregon State: Life after Mikayla Pivec and Destiny Slocum will be tough. This is now Taylor Jones' team moving forward as Oregon State continues to be a tall, tall team. The arrival of Ellie Mack from Bucknell shores up an already loaded post rotation with Jones, Kennedy Brown, Tanya Corosdale, Aleah Goodman and new arrival Sasha Goforth will have their hands full trying to get the ball into the paint.

Colorado: Emma Clarke's departure was a blow, but the arrival of Jaylyn Sherrod on campus last season gave glimpses of a promising future for the Buffaloes. Sherrod should combine with Hollingshead for a tough Buffaloes squad that hopes to snatch a victory from Stanford this season after two buzzer beaters last year. I'm including Colorado in this category, simply because they have a more reliable core in Sherrod and Hollingshead to build around than say, Arizona State or California. If anyone needs a reminder of how bitter the defeat was, it's here:

The Rest:

Arizona State:
Ja'Tavia Tapley, Relli Richardson, Robbi Ryan, Jamie Ruden led Arizona State to new heights last season including a upset weekend of Oregon and Oregon State back to back on their home courts. 5 of the Sun Devil's top 6 scorers have graduated. 6 Freshman have arrived on campus to reload, but Arizona State will likely be in a rebuild this year. I wish that we had the tournament last season, because the Sun Devils were capable of springing an upset over anyone.

California: Jaelyn Brown, Chen Yue, and C.J West have all graduated, and the Bears post rotation undergoes a major overhaul with the arrival of several freshman on campus led by Dalayah Daniels. As good as Daniels is, it's probably too big of an ask for her to drag Cal into another tier of the pack, but give Charmin Smith a few years, and Daniels will be a thorn in their cross bay rivals side.

Washington: Amber Melgoza is gone. Missy Peterson is still here to rain threes down on anyone who dares to leave her open. Darcy Rees and Haley Van Dyke give Washington some good building blocks, but without Melgoza drawing the attention of the opposing defenses, it remains to be seen how the Dawgs do.

Wazzu: Borislava Hristova and Chanelle Molina have both graduated. Life goes on in Pullman, but no heir apparent has appeared for the two stalwarts of Cougar basketball. Their website hasn't even been updated to include 2019-2020 statistics. Rude.

Reaction Score
Jenna Brown out for the year for Stanford with a season ending injury. I was looking forward to seeing any strides she made this year.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

This post from Oregon State shows Andrea Aquino practicing. I don't know if that's how it's always been for her (Practice but no Games) but if it's not this could be a positive sign for her coming season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wazzu: Borislava Hristova and Chanelle Molina have both graduated. Life goes on in Pullman, but no heir apparent has appeared for the two stalwarts of Cougar basketball. Their website hasn't even been updated to include 2019-2020 statistics. Rude.
Try this link:

The Cougs also lost #3 scorer Subasic to transfer (Oregon State).

One player to watch, IMHO, is sophomore post Bella Murekatete. Raw talent with huge upside.

Reaction Score
Bleacher Report says Andrea Aquino hopes to be cleared to play this year. If this happens, she gives the Beavs needed depth at the 3-spot. (You got to fit her into the line-up somewhere, and she has a pretty smooth stroke.)

Reaction Score
There are not any preseason polls yet.

I’d say the Pac-12 probably looks something like this:

1A. Stanford: The return of Haley Jones to go along with Lexie Hull and Kiana Williams makes this a formidable Stanford squad. How far they go will likely depend on the development of Ashten Prechtel, Francesca Belibi, Cameron Brink, and Alyssa Jerome in the post.

1B. Arizona: Aari McDonald will have a good battle for POY Honors with rivals Kiana Williams and Michaela Onyenwere. Arizona snatched a victory in OT over Stanford last season on their home court; moreover, they bought in reinforcements to provide a fierce supporting cast to their squad. Bendu Yeaney arrives from Indiana, along with a contingent of Freshman including Lauren Ware. This will be a tough Arizona squad to beat.

3. UCLA: Michaela Onyenwere and Charisma Osbourne combine to make an exciting duo for the Bruins; however, there will be ground to make up after the departure of the director of the offense in Japreece Dean. Lindsay Corsaro, Natalie Chou, and Lauryn Miller will have to step up to help. Emily Bessoir and Gemma Potter should contribute right away as the Bruins make one last good run with Onyenwere.

4. Oregon: Does anyone know how to rank Oregon this year? They have a VERY promising freshman class combined with the talent left on campus in Jazz Shelly, Nyara Sabally, and Sedona Price. Their ceiling is likely dependent on whether Sabally or Price can be healthy this season and how they contribute to the reload in Oregon after the departure of Ionescu.

The Middle of the Pac:

USC:
Endiya Rogers and Alissa Pilli combine for a good duo in Los Angeles; however, the loss of Overbeck and Alyssa Jeune makes me cautious about the ceiling for this team. Do the Women of Troy have enough talent surrounding Pilli and Rogers to consistently bring it in the Pac?

Utah: Brynna Maxwell and Lola Pendande starred on campus last season and Utah returns a lot of good pieces from a team that remains incredibly young and has a great future. Colorado was definitely closer in big games against the upper tier of the conference, but with the Utes returning more pieces, and a year older, I have to wonder if they'll be able to put the pieces of the puzzle together sooner.

Oregon State: Life after Mikayla Pivec and Destiny Slocum will be tough. This is now Taylor Jones' team moving forward as Oregon State continues to be a tall, tall team. The arrival of Ellie Mack from Bucknell shores up an already loaded post rotation with Jones, Kennedy Brown, Tanya Corosdale, Aleah Goodman and new arrival Sasha Goforth will have their hands full trying to get the ball into the paint.

Colorado: Emma Clarke's departure was a blow, but the arrival of Jaylyn Sherrod on campus last season gave glimpses of a promising future for the Buffaloes. Sherrod should combine with Hollingshead for a tough Buffaloes squad that hopes to snatch a victory from Stanford this season after two buzzer beaters last year. I'm including Colorado in this category, simply because they have a more reliable core in Sherrod and Hollingshead to build around than say, Arizona State or California. If anyone needs a reminder of how bitter the defeat was, it's here:

The Rest:

Arizona State:
Ja'Tavia Tapley, Relli Richardson, Robbi Ryan, Jamie Ruden led Arizona State to new heights last season including a upset weekend of Oregon and Oregon State back to back on their home courts. 5 of the Sun Devil's top 6 scorers have graduated. 6 Freshman have arrived on campus to reload, but Arizona State will likely be in a rebuild this year. I wish that we had the tournament last season, because the Sun Devils were capable of springing an upset over anyone.

California: Jaelyn Brown, Chen Yue, and C.J West have all graduated, and the Bears post rotation undergoes a major overhaul with the arrival of several freshman on campus led by Dalayah Daniels. As good as Daniels is, it's probably too big of an ask for her to drag Cal into another tier of the pack, but give Charmin Smith a few years, and Daniels will be a thorn in their cross bay rivals side.

Washington: Amber Melgoza is gone. Missy Peterson is still here to rain threes down on anyone who dares to leave her open. Darcy Rees and Haley Van Dyke give Washington some good building blocks, but without Melgoza drawing the attention of the opposing defenses, it remains to be seen how the Dawgs do.

I think Angel Jackson will be a key piece for USC too. They also added Jordan Sanders, a grad-transfer from UC Irvine, who could be an x-factor. Shalexxus Aaron also returns. She’s missed two of her three seasons at USC due to injury, but shot nearly 42% from three as a redshirt freshman.

Solid list. I think Oregon finishes anywhere from second to fourth. Could definitely see them challenging Stanford if they figure everything out before the halfway point.

Reaction Score
Overall good interview by Coach McCray-Penson today. She gave the standard coachspeak and spoke about her system being one where more players handle the ball instead of it strictly being the point guard. However she did emphasize that M Tayler had obviously been working extremely hard during the off-season and singled her out. While there are obviously more talented guards on the roster it is a very good sign that the veteran and returning point guard is pushing things so hard.

Reaction Score

This post from Oregon State shows Andrea Aquino practicing. I don't know if that's how it's always been for her (Practice but no Games) but if it's not this could be a positive sign for her coming season.

They're going to be BIGGGGG in a good way , but losing Slocum will set them back IMO.

Reaction Score
I thought that Kennedy Brown wasn't playing this year (RS following injury). Is that information old?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom