2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

South Carolina sophomore PWO guard Olivia Thompson, is now on scholarship. All SC players are on scholarship. Assuming there will be no more additions to the ‘21 class, Dawn and staff will have 5 scholarships available for ‘22 recruits.

(PWO - preferred walk on)

Dawn always does right by her girls. This is no surprise, but welcomed news. I'm sure her parents are VERY thankful. :cool: Anytime a walk-on is awarded a full scholarship, that’s always great news, and a feel good story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought that Kennedy Brown wasn't playing this year (RS following injury). Is that information old?
I don't think there has been any official determination or annoucement of when she might or will return following surgery on her ACL. Most fans still speculate she will sit out this entire season.

Reaction Score
I don't think there has been any official determination or annoucement of when she might or will return following surgery on her ACL. Most fans still speculate she will sit out this entire season.

Thanks!

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Can anyone match them in height? Stanford maybe?
The team 40 miles down the road also has some length, but not by OSU standards (I'm assuming these measurements are accurate): Sedona Prince (6'7"); Lydia Giomi and Arielle Wilson (both 6'6"); Nyara Sabally (6'5"); and Kylie Watson and Angela Dugalic (both 6' 4").

Reaction Score
Bleacher Report says Andrea Aquino hopes to be cleared to play this year. If this happens, she gives the Beavs needed depth at the 3-spot. (You got to fit her into the line-up somewhere, and she has a pretty smooth stroke.)
Aquino, Brown, and Jones all playing in the front court at the same time sure would be something to see.

Reaction Score
I think the only reason I have Oregon State in the middle of the Pac is because there's too many unknowns after the departure of Pivec, Slocum, and Kat Tudor. I believe that Tudor's request for an extra year was denied. That being said, Jones will be fantastic down low, Goodman will hopefully step up into the void left by the departing guards. The health of Brown is still questionable, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Honestly, Oregon probably could have benefitted from having a non-conference before diving into the Pac more so than any other team. As it is, they will probably have some growing pains along the way. I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop a few games to teams such as Colorado or California. Or maybe they simply crash and burn after Ionescu in a shocking return to earth. It's really hard to know but there's definitely talent in Eugene.

Reaction Score
Another player who should have an impact this year for Oregon St has not even been mentioned. Jelena Mitrovic who was recovering from injury last year seems ready to go. She is a high BBIQ player with good back to the basket skills and 3pt range. Oh did I mention she is a sturdy bodied 6'9". The shrimp "Ellie Mack" at 6'3" will probably be playing at a guard position.

With Slocum gone they should have more success playing in a style they have had the most success in the past with. Strong post play with good 3pt shooters and lots of ball movement via passing. One thing for sure, no one should dominate them in the post.

Reaction Score
There are only around 100 women in the world 6'9" or taller. The OSU team is roughly equivalent to a men's team with a pair of 7'6"-ish players. It may never happen again in NCAA basketball.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Another player who should have an impact this year for Oregon St has not even been mentioned. Jelena Mitrovic who was recovering from injury last year seems ready to go. She is a high BBQ player with good back to the basket skills and 3pt range. Oh did I mention she is a sturdy bodied 6'9". The shrimp "Ellie Mack" at 6'3" will probably be playing at a guard position.

With Slocum gone they should have more success playing in a style they have had the most success in the past with. Strong post play with good 3pt shooters and lots of ball movement via passing. One thing for sure, no one should dominate them in the post.

The only way to have success against this team in the post is to sit Mitrovic on the bench with foul trouble. Put her on the bench EARLY in the 1st quarter, and let her sit the rest of the half. Go right at her every time down the court at the beginning of the 1st and 3rd quarter. She can't hurt you from the bench. You'll probably have more success with her backup than her.

She should ALWAYS be the tallest player on the floor. That translates to lots of blocked shots, lots of rebounds and lot of intimidation. She does not have to block every shot. If she can make players change their shot, she's done her job.

Reaction Score
The only way to have success against this team in the post is to sit Mitrovic on the bench with foul trouble. Put her on the bench EARLY in the 1st quarter, and let her sit the rest of the half. Go right at her every time down the court at the beginning of the 1st and 3rd quarter. She can't hurt you from the bench. You'll probably have more success with her backup than her.

She should ALWAYS be the tallest player on the floor. That translates to lots of blocked shots, lots of rebounds and lot of intimidation. She does not have to block every shot. If she can make players change their shot, she's done her job.
One thing for sure, no one should dominate them in the post.

Is that no one in the Pac-12 will come close or no one in the nation will come close to dominating them in the post?

Carnac

Reaction Score
One thing for sure, no one should dominate them in the post.

Is that no one in the Pac-12 will come close or no one in the nation will come close to dominating them in the post?

In the nation!! Not at 6'9". There aren't that many 6-9 women playing college ball this season. They probably will NOT face each other. They should ALWAYS be the tallest player on the floor. By now, they should know how to play the position, and take advantage of their height.

One of 3 things should/will happen...... 1. She goes up strong, makes the basket. 2. She goes up strong, makes the basket and gets fouled. 3. She puts her opposite number on the bench with foul trouble. As I said, Unless you're a leaper with lots of "hops", you're not going to out jump (or block her shot) 6-9!!

There's very little you can do against a player that's 3-4 inches taller than you. All you can do is hope you get some weak side help, and try and keep them from getting the ball. Once they get it in the paint, there's not a lot you can do. :(

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In the nation!! Not at 6'9". There aren't that many 6-9 women playing college ball this season. They probably will NOT face each other. They should ALWAYS be the tallest player on the floor. By now, they should know how to play the position, and take advantage of their height.

One of 3 things should/will happen...... 1. She goes up strong, makes the basket. 2. She goes up strong, makes the basket and gets fouled. 3. She puts her opposite number on the bench with foul trouble. As I said, Unless you're a leaper with lots of "hops", you're not going to out jump (or block her shot) 6-9!!

There's very little you can do against a player that's 3-4 inches taller than you. All you can do is hope you get some weak side help, and try and keep them from getting the ball. Once they get it in the paint, there's not a lot you can do. :(
Is she better than Mulkey who played for Oklahoma and Rice? She was 6'9" but was just an okay ball player.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Is she better than Mulky?? who played for Oklahoma and Rice? She was 6'9" but was just an okay ball player.

I don't know. I think I've only seen one video of her, and that was brief. From what I understand, Mulkey was soft, and not coached properly at OU. See saw the writing on the wall, and transferred to Rice. I remember when she was in HS, and being recruited. She never came close to reaching her potential.

Reaction Score
Season before last, OSU had 6'8" Jo Grymek backing up 6'1" Maddie Washington at the center spot. Seven extra inches was clearly not enough to overcome the superior athleticism, basketball IQ (BBQ!), and years upon years of practice.

That said, both of these ladies are visibly superior to sweet li'l Jo in both athleticism and experience. But instead of 6'1" Maddie Washington competing for the starting spot, OSU has 6'4" Taylor Jones - who sports a 6'10" wingspan and as a freshman often dominated games. It isn't clear that either of these ladies will even start for OSU, let alone dominate anyone else.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Any player no matter their height can be defended if we have enough speed, agility, good pressure on the inbounders, good schemes and enough depth. I like Piath, Aaliyah, Liv and Aubrey (our current version of Gabby) dealing with any post threat.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I was going to say, Stanford had some success against Griner by fronting her with Bonnie Samuelson and preventing Griner from getting the ball. Oh, those were the days of yore.

Reaction Score

So could a Geno team stop Oregon State. I would love to see a UCONN face OSU this season with your read on the apparent dominance at center.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
4. Oregon: Does anyone know how to rank Oregon this year? They have a VERY promising freshman class combined with the talent left on campus in Jazz Shelly, Nyara Sabally, and Sedona Price. Their ceiling is likely dependent on whether Sabally or Price can be healthy this season and how they contribute to the reload in Oregon after the departure of Ionescu.

Lorcan: Excellent write-up overall on the conference. Thanks for bring many of us up to speed.

Is it telling that Erin Boley was not mentioned in your summary or most of the follow-up posts?
Yet, She started all 33 games as a redshirt junior, averaging 9.2 points and 2.0 rebounds per game while shooting 44.1 percent from three-point range. That was a career-high 44.1 percent from three-point range, which ranked 13th in the nation and third in the Pac-12.

I'll be interested if Boley will primarily -- even exclusively -- be a three-point/wing shooter, given how many other weapons and height they, both with returnees and the fab frosh. The only time I recall her working around the lane was when Bri Turner went down with an ACL in the NCAA's and Erin moved into the starting lineup (ahead of Jackie Young, btw). Kat Westbeld moved down to low post and Boley was around the elbow.
She had a great game against Ohio State and an OK one against Stanford, who came back to beat ND by one in the Elite Eight. She gavte a go at rebounding, but she and Westbeld were not enough.

So, i'll be interested in what role she plays....as a senior! Whew, that went fast.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Jenna Brown out for the year for Stanford with a season ending injury. I was looking forward to seeing any strides she made this year.

Whoa. She cannot just get out first gear (at least on the basketball court). Hope she recoverd from this.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Lorcan: Excellent write-up overall on the conference. Thanks for bring many of us up to speed.

Is it telling that Erin Boley was not mentioned in your summary or most of the follow-up posts?
Yet, She started all 33 games as a redshirt junior, averaging 9.2 points and 2.0 rebounds per game while shooting 44.1 percent from three-point range. That was a career-high 44.1 percent from three-point range, which ranked 13th in the nation and third in the Pac-12.

I'll be interested if Boley will primarily -- even exclusively -- be a three-point/wing shooter, given how many other weapons and height they, both with returnees and the fab frosh. The only time I recall her working around the lane was when Bri Turner went down with an ACL in the NCAA's and Erin moved into the starting lineup (ahead of Jackie Young, btw). Kat Westbeld moved down to low post and Boley was around the elbow.
She had a great game against Ohio State and an OK one against Stanford, who came back to beat ND by one in the Elite Eight. She gavte a go at rebounding, but she and Westbeld were not enough.

So, i'll be interested in what role she plays....as a senior! Whew, that went fast.
Also not mentioned was Taylor Chavez, last year's 6th Player of the Year in the Pac12 (47% from 3, a bit higher in conference). Boley shot 46% from 3 during conference. Graves has said that she will have a bigger, and more versatile, role this year, but I think that in part (maybe large part) depends on whether she continues to improve defensively. (And she has a way to go imo.) On the other hand, as was the case with K. M-Lewis, the 3's can be very deflating for opponents.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Also not mentioned was Taylor Chavez, last year's 6th Player of the Year in the Pac12 (47% from 3, a bit higher in conference). Boley shot 46% from 3 during conference. Graves has said that she will have a bigger, and more versatile, role this year, but I think that in part (maybe large part) depends on whether she continues to improve defensively. (And she has a way to go imo.) On the other hand, as was the case with K. M-Lewis, the 3's can be very deflating for opponents.

Good points, all. I like Taylor Chavez. Will she lose time to Taylor Mikesell?
As you may recall, ND played a lot of zone in the NCAA's once Brianna Turner went down. One reason for that was height, but Erin B. was never known for her D. (That's not what she was there...or at Oregon...for.)

Reaction Score

Honestly, with Boley, I think the knock has always been on her defense and the ability to create her own shot. Taylor Chavez and Erin Boley were both good contributors last year, but how do they do when a defense focuses on them instead of on Ionescu, Sabally, and Hebard? Don't get me wrong, Boley, Chavez, Mikesell, and Shelley is a fantastic guard rotation to have, and they will give opponents fits. I think the bigger question is who replaces the rebounds that Ionescu, Hebard, and Sabally all managed to grab game after game. Giomini, N. Sabally, Price, and others definitely have their work cut out for them. I still think there's a lot of unknowns about Oregon, which is making it hard for me to be very high on them right now. Besides, I want to pay them back for what they did to Stanford last year.

Reaction Score
Honestly, with Boley, I think the knock has always been on her defense and the ability to create her own shot. Taylor Chavez and Erin Boley were both good contributors last year, but how do they do when a defense focuses on them instead of on Ionescu, Sabally, and Hebard? Don't get me wrong, Boley, Chavez, Mikesell, and Shelley is a fantastic guard rotation to have, and they will give opponents fits. I think the bigger question is who replaces the rebounds that Ionescu, Hebard, and Sabally all managed to grab game after game. Giomini, N. Sabally, Price, and others definitely have their work cut out for them. I still think there's a lot of unknowns about Oregon, which is making it hard for me to be very high on them right now. Besides, I want to pay them back for what they did to Stanford last year.

Younger Sabally and Sedona Prince might get a couple of rebounds a game;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom