2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News

Reaction Score
I have a feeling her time at Stanford may be done. Unless the bigs they have doesn't produce. She's gonna graduate if she hasn't already (don't follow the program much). So she'll be able to transfer
I see only two bigs (taller than 6"1') on Stanford's roster that produce (Prechtel and Brink). Their third big, Jerome, don't produce. Stanford suddenly needs more bigs.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I see only two bigs (taller than 6"1') on Stanford's roster that produce (Prechtel and Brink). Their third big, Jerome, don't produce. Stanford suddenly needs more bigs.

6-1 is an interesting cut off point so you can exclude Belibi. One of the Hulls and Jones are also both listed at 6-1, so it's not like Stanford has absolutely no size or length on their roster.

Reaction Score
6-1 is an interesting cut off point so you can exclude Belibi. One of the Hulls and Jones are also both listed at 6-1, so it's not like Stanford has absolutely no size or length on their roster.
Belibi or the other 6'1" players were not the main point of my take. (besides, I would not be surprised if none of those listed as 6'1" on Stanford's roster are actually 6'1", but that's another subject)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Belibi or the other 6'1" players were not the main point of my take. (besides, I would not be surprised if none of those listed as 6'1" on Stanford's roster are actually 6'1", but that's another subject)

Okay. Well with the way Belibi can jump she certainly plays bigger than 6-1, and her stats were real similar to Prechtel's. It's gonna be a long time before I feel bad for Stanford lacking players...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Okay. Well with the way Belibi can jump she certainly plays bigger than 6-1, and her stats were real similar to Prechtel's. It's gonna be a long time before I feel bad for Stanford lacking players...:rolleyes:
True enough.

Reaction Score

Brink is not physically ready to play college basketball. Not sure how she can be said to “produce” when she hasn’t played a single college game.

Freshmen are freshmen. Few are ready for high level college basketball [even top recruits]. For every “top recruit” that is ready to play, there are ten that are not. Of course, some play anyway due to need.

It is also worth mentioning that Covid World limiting Summer S&C opportunities, imposing weird scheduling, and crunching the season with a later start date will certainly impact freshmen the most. Don’t be surprised if this season’s freshmen [as a whole] have a “tough go”.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brink is not physically ready to play college basketball. Not sure how she can be said to “produce” when she hasn’t played a single college game.

Freshmen are freshmen. Few are ready for high level college basketball [even top recruits]. For every “top recruit” that is ready to play, there are ten that are not. Of course, some play anyway due to need.

It is also worth mentioning that Covid World limiting Summer S&C opportunities, imposing weird scheduling, and crunching the season with a later start date will certainly impact freshmen the most. Don’t be surprised if this season’s freshmen [as a whole] have a “tough go”.
I didn't word my statement properly. I project her to be a producer...she obviously is not one yet.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Whoa. That's big news for mostly the reasons already mentioned thus far.

First a Question for @TheFarmFan : Any further insight on this? As mentioned, she came back at the end of the season, so she only has one year of eligibility left. And she appears to be an excellent student (All-Academic Honor Rolls for PAC-12), so I'm guessing she's on target to graduate (even early).

Thoughts:
- Thought Maya, who struck me as something of a traditional forward (compared with the stretch- and point- forwards) would've been a good partner to Ashten Prechtel and newcomer Cameron Brink. Maybe senior Alyssa Jerome will blossom her senior year, but I'm guessing we're going to see a lot of Francesa Belibi.
- Now it looks like Prechtel, Brink and Belibi -- probably at mostly different times -- will be surrounded by a bunch of guards and wings. Two of them, of course, are named Hull and they're both 6'0" tall. The key question here is the availability of another 6'1" wing, Ms. Haley Jones. Her availability and progress from her knee injury is very critical.
- Throw in Kianna Williams and Anna Wilson at guard and there's still a bunch of talent there, but Dodson was a pretty tough paint presence.

Observation:
- ND was one of Dodson's finalists back in the day but she chose to go to Stanford (all power to her). Feels like just a few posts ago...whew. Best to her.

Reaction Score
It's odd to me that Dodson came back so late in the season last year rather than take a redshirt. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and she likely would have if it were known then there would be no tourney and even a delayed start to this season provided it happens.

Dodson is from outside ATL and I believe was a high school teammate of Kishkitua (sp) at UT. Both were well regarded recruits and neither has really lived up to their expectations in college but injuries have no doubt impacted Dodson's progress.

I have a feeling we will see a fair number of sit outs this year that some players will use as a chance to transfer or explore other playing options.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A few days late in posting... but sad news on the small college level here in the Triad. The winningest coach in Greensboro College History lost his 2 year battle with Pancreatic Cancer. R.I.P. Coach :(

From the GC website:

Indeed, while making his mark on the court, Tuggle also made a huge impact on the entire Greensboro College and USA South community. Following his diagnosis, Tuggle made it a point to bring awareness to pancreatic cancer and openly shared his story and positive outlook with everyone he came in contact with, even calling his battle rewarding in interviews with multiple media outlets.

During the 2019-2020 season, the USA South Athletic Conference launched a "Tuggle Strong" initiative to help share his story. Over the course of the campaign, each USA South Athletic Conference institution and women's basketball teams designated one home game to raise awareness about pancreatic cancer, while also raising thousands of dollars in Tuggle's honor for cancer research.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not sure how I missed this but

CAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO RETURN TO ELON IN 2021

RICHMOND, Va. (April 9, 2020) – In response to the unexpected cancellation of the 2020 CAA Women’s Basketball Championship, presented by Sonabank, the event will return to the campus of Elon University in 2021.

The Conference’s 10 athletic directors voted in favor of the decision as a show of support for Elon. Elon was in the midst of hosting the 2020 championship before it was canceled prior to the quarterfinals due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
It's odd to me that Dodson came back so late in the season last year rather than take a redshirt. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and she likely would have if it were known then there would be no tourney and even a delayed start to this season provided it happens.
She has said that she didn't want to miss the chance to play again with Nadia Fingall, who was a senior in 2019-2020.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
.The key question here is the availability of another 6'1" wing, Ms. Haley Jones. Her availability and progress from her knee injury is very critical.
The word is that Haley is fine and ready to go.

She played at the 4 quite a bit last year, though Tara said something to the effect that they were playing Haley where the team needed her most, not necessarily at her best position -- but that was not to say she wasn't excellent at the 4.

Reaction Score
She has said that she didn't want to miss the chance to play again with Nadia Fingall, who was a senior in 2019-2020.
Thank you for the input. I don’t follow Stanford as closely as other programs but have always loved Tara and the program she has built.

Reaction Score
I am very surprised at what seems to be, at least so far, minimal roster damage due to players choosing to opt out of this season. In the WNBA quite a few players opted out, yet in the NCAA relatively few among over 350 teams.

Maybe that is because someone sitting out from a non-elite program is not a newsworthy event, and there have been far more than we know about. I'm sure the schools and conferences have a wide variety of practices and restrictions but the difference seems stark.

Some of the pro players chose to spend their time fighting for social justice causes. Some sat out because of health issues or concerns, and I'm sure many just simply did not want to live in the very restricted environment of the "wubble". That was very hard for the players and their families, but in terms of the virus it worked very well.

If anything even vaguely similar happened at the college level many of the top programs would be impacted. Also it is harder for colleges to fill in the holes. Unlike the WNBA they can't just sign the best available free agent.

This hasn't been a big issue yet but at UCLA they had two players opt out, and two more from Australia can't travel here yet, so they are left with 8 practice players. Maybe more walkons in the rotation.

Since this is not an actual bubble, in addition to the usual attrition from injuries, a few opt outs, and some expected positive test cases down the road, the tail end of the bench may have far more significance than usual and a few teams could be devestated.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Junior Notre Dame Forward Danielle Cosgrove announces she's going to take a leave of absence -- planned for the rest of the semester -- to work on her mental. health.

Glad to see her priorities are in order and wish she and her family the best.

Reaction Score
Junior Notre Dame Forward Danielle Cosgrove announces she's going to take a leave of absence -- planned for the rest of the semester -- to work on her mental. health.

Glad to see her priorities are in order and wish she and her family the best.

100% agree with you @Dillon77! Good to see Danielle prioritize her mental health, a topic often overshadowed by "physical" health when discussing athletes. She's so brave to share her story with the pubic. Hopefully this continues the the dialogue on mental health awareness and helps others to realize they are not alone. I am still shaking my head over the callous comments made by Skip Bayless concerning Dak Prescott's statements back in Sept.

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Hmm. The male practice players seem brawnier than the UConn Male Players. SEC I guess. ;)
The Lady Vols return five of their top six scorers and rebounders from 2019-20, including the top four in each category. Harper, in fact, welcomes back 80.8 percent of her scoring, 76.4 percent of rebounding, 78.6 percent of blocks, 71.0 percent of steals and 64.8 percent of assists from last year's squad

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The Lady Vols return five of their top six scorers and rebounders from 2019-20, including the top four in each category. Harper, in fact, welcomes back 80.8 percent of her scoring, 76.4 percent of rebounding, 78.6 percent of blocks, 71.0 percent of steals and 64.8 percent of assists from last year's squad

Tennessee has the potential to be a very dangerous team. They have talent. No doubt. I believe KJH will right the ship and have them in the sec and national hunt sooner than later. She is coaching HW players and as the seasons progress she will have her own recruits. With Vic out of State Tennessee could battle South Carolina and Tamu for top dog with Kentucky in the mix as well. I’m not sure how State is going to look quite yet although media has them ranked pretty high.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has the potential to be a very dangerous team. They have talent. No doubt. I believe KJH will right the ship and have them in the sec and national hunt sooner than later. She is coaching HW players and as the seasons progress she will have her own recruits. With Vic out of State Tennessee could battle South Carolina and Tamu for top dog with Kentucky in the mix as well. I’m not sure how State is going to look quite yet although media has them ranked pretty high.

I think it is an open question whether it is better to have KJH or HW's players.

Don't read more into that than is there, Vols. It's just open. Holly's issue wasn't bringing in talent. I don't necessarily think that will be a problem for KJH either.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, up in South Bend, first time in 3 decades+ that Muffet McGraw is not leading practice. Niele Ivey (to the right) takes over, with Sam Brunelle on the line:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom