2019 Recruiting: Richie Springs OV Today (8/4) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting: Richie Springs OV Today (8/4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
A big kid with a nose for the ball and the ability to find the open man is what we've been missing and to top it off we have been his school list for some time. It might be nice to have someone other than CV be the teams best rebounder. Yes, I know Carlton improved in that area but a natural lunch pail big would do wonders in those tough grinding games where 1 key board in crunch time can be the edge we need to take those tight games like at Cincy last season.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There are others who can search and list all my Springs posts - that’s a clerical task and not the best use of Chief’s time.
Additionally, that would not be how I would say it. But, for those more insightful than you, they would understand it.

Reaction Score
He plummeted in the consensus rankings because he was taken out of one of sites rankings.

It makes even less sense when people are saying he's now 6'10. What was Jeff, 6'6?
So his ESPN rating is close to where it was when he committed?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If he has grown and can now play the 5, then I'm happy with this pickup. If not, it's kind of a head scratcher to me. This is just one fewer scholarship we can use for next year, and we desperately need someone that will be able to take over at the 5 for Carlton in two years.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
No offense but I think Danny knows what he is doing.

I'm sure he does, but I'm allowed to disagree with his thought process.

If Springs is really 6'10" and the coaching staff is confident that he can play the 5 then I have no issue with this; that way we're well positioned when Carlton graduates to have someone ready to start right behind him. If he's not able to play the 5 then we'd better land a good center recruit in 2020 so they get a season under their belt before they have to take over the starting spot.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm sure he does, but I'm allowed to disagree with his thought process.

If Springs is really 6'10" and the coaching staff is confident that he can play the 5 then I have no issue with this; that way we're well positioned when Carlton graduates to have someone ready to start right behind him. If he's not able to play the 5 then we'd better land a good center recruit in 2020 so they get a season under their belt before they have to take over the starting spot.
I had reservations as well. Will this kid turn out to be a diamond in the rough or a Leblanc is anyone’s guess.

What I saw from the highlight tapes was a kid who played comparable to senior Kenton.

I would have loved to watch some complete games to get a gauge of his motor and how he plays defense.

Last season Carleton was starting to draw double teams. Put Ritchie on the opposite side of the lane and I can see lots of put backs and lanes opening for our guards. It’s been a long time since we’ve had two bigs on the court who know the game and can play both offense and defense. Ritchie and Carleton could provide this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had reservations as well. Will this kid turn out to be a diamond in the rough or a Leblanc is anyone’s guess.

What I saw from the highlight tapes was a kid who played comparable to senior Kenton.

I would have loved to watch some complete games to get a gauge of his motor and how he plays defense.

Last season Carleton was starting to draw double teams. Put Ritchie on the opposite side of the lane and I can see lots of put backs and lanes opening for our guards. It’s been a long time since we’ve had two bigs on the court who know the game and can play both offense and defense. Ritchie and Carleton could provide this.
...didn't you mock me when I said his ceiling looks like a senior year Kentan?

Reaction Score
If he's not able to play the 5 then we'd better land a good center recruit in 2020

getting richie this year doesn't change the plan/need to get a center for 2020. i'm confident in hurley's ability to land one of: cliff, brown-ferguson, gray, or cardwell

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

Trifecta of spelling errors... it’s Kentan, Carlton, and Richie

Reaction Score

I'm guessing his ceiling is better than that if they are thinking of bringing him in early? Not that on occasion Kentan wasn't pretty good his senior year but we need someone who can get there quicker than 4 years or at least have the potential to do so.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Excited about him if reports of a tough kid who can do the dirty work for us inside are true. I like those offensive rebounding numbers that were posted. At least it gives us a viable option and 5 more fouls in the center position at worst until he develops.

Yeah and let's not forget Alexis Yetna came out of PSU recently as a 3 star went to USF. He's been kicking butt. They seem to have a similar strengths. Yetna averaged 9.6 board and 12.3 points last year. Springs is longer and seems to have a higher skill level.

Reaction Score
It’s like we never learn ...

Whether the guy is Hilton Armstrong, Gavin Edwards, Kentan Facey ... this is a tricky evaluation for any CBB coach. If he’s grown to 6’10 and had solid inside instincts, it’s a great pick

And different coaches will have varied opinions.

We do need a big body & aggressive interior guy. Whaley ain’t enough for nor or coming years.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing his ceiling is better than that if they are thinking of bringing him in early? Not that on occasion Kentan wasn't pretty good his senior year but we need someone who can get there quicker than 4 years or at least have the potential to do so.

Kentan had some talent but no feel for the game, which was a disturbing trend of some of our players from that era like Larrier (worst feel for the game I've ever seen from a highly rated prospect) and Enoch. It seems like Hurley is not recruiting guys like that. Springs seems to have a nice feel for the game, some talent, and definitely a winner.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
“Give me a break”.

You are correct and I enjoyed it a lot.

I felt snarky deserved snarky. Also it was not about the player comparison but over your choice of using Kentan after declaring KO didn’t develop anyone.

Kentan was a great offensive rebounder against the cupcakes early his freshman year and everyone was excited. I believe he had a game with nine offensive rebounds. But he understood little about organized basketball and was a disaster on defense.

He thought about transferring but stuck with the program.

He played sporadically until his senior year in which he showed the ability to play the game. He became one of the go to guys by the end of the season and had there been a more dynamic offensive center than Brimah opposing teams would not have been able to neutralize him as affectively.

So I'll give credit to you being the first to make a Kentan comparison but I won’t apologize for my response.

Reaction Score
“Give me a break”.

You are correct and I enjoyed it a lot.

I felt snarky deserved snarky. Also it was not about the player comparison but over your choice of using Kentan after declaring KO didn’t develop anyone.

Kentan was a great offensive rebounder against the cupcakes early his freshman year and everyone was excited. I believe he had a game with nine offensive rebounds. But he understood little about organized basketball and was a disaster on defense.

He thought about transferring but stuck with the program.

He played sporadically until his senior year in which he showed the ability to play the game. He became one of the go to guys by the end of the season and had there been a more dynamic offensive center than Brimah opposing teams would not have been able to neutralize him as affectively.

So I'll give credit to you being the first to make a Kentan comparison but I won’t apologize for my response.
That's a lot of words to say "yeah, I was wrong" :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Kentan had some talent but no feel for the game, which was a disturbing trend of some of our players from that era like Larrier (worst feel for the game I've ever seen from a highly rated prospect) and Enoch. It seems like Hurley is not recruiting guys like that. Springs seems to have a nice feel for the game, some talent, and definitely a winner.

Good call exactly what I was referring to. He didn't have instincts for the game needed to improve rapidly or sometimes not at all. Respect to him for becoming a pretty good player eventually his Sr year despite some shortcomings but he worked hard to get there. Guessing Springs knows how to play and Hurleywill push him to where he needs to help like strength coach, boxing out drills and plain old running the motor at full speed all times.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It’s like we never learn ...

Whether the guy is Hilton Armstrong, Gavin Edwards, Kentan Facey ... this is a tricky evaluation for any CBB coach. If he’s grown to 6’10 and had solid inside instincts, it’s a great pick

And different coaches will have varied opinions.

We do need a big body & aggressive interior guy. Whaley ain’t enough for nor or coming years.
No player is exactly like any other player. So I agree comparisons have limitations. Furthermore evaluations have limitations because player development isn’t static and team composition is dynamic and has to be factored.

Discussion here is only an expression of opinion. Normally everyone would be excited about a recruit like Richie.

But the team has several critical needs and too few scholarships available. And given the last several seasons every recruit will be scrutinized more critically. Taking a flyer on an average four year player won’t be acceptable by the passionate fan or booster given the needs of the team and the perceived need for a rapid turnaround.

All of these discussions amount to zero when it comes to accomplishing results for the team. They’re just cerebral interactions that have not nor will ever move the needle for the team and apparently our intellect.

But it does provide some pleasure.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's a lot of words to say "yeah, I was wrong" :rolleyes:
LOL.

I have no problem admitting when I’m wrong. How about you. Can you admit KO developed players?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie couldn't develop talent to save his job, literally. Lets not try to compare apples to oranges here. Carlton has already developed light years more than any big under KO. Trust the Process.
That’s a jaded and oversimplified perspective. KO had a lot of problems after his divorce (and perhaps to his inability to handle success) that resulted in several poor seasons. The primary problem was he lost his ability to relate to players.

People forget how he kept the team together after the trifecta of disasters he had to deal with when he took over the program and the masterful job he did motivating a non tournament bound team, a motivation that led to a NC the following season.

People forget about the improvement of those players in the first two seasons. People want to assign all the blame for failure and give no credit for the successes.

I felt it was necessary for a coaching change the same as many of you. I know people are angry about what happened but I personally have a problem overlooking the positives because I was upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom