2019 Recruiting: Richie Springs OV Today (8/4) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting: Richie Springs OV Today (8/4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This discussion reminds me of finals week. Everybody is on edge, in this case we're bored because it's only early August and the season is three months away, and there have been no early commitments to soothe the collective soul.

Reaction Score
That’s a jaded and oversimplified perspective. KO had a lot of problems after his divorce (and perhaps to his inability to handle success) that resulted in several poor seasons. The primary problem was he lost his ability to relate to players.

People forget how he kept the team together after the trifecta of disasters he had to deal with when he took over the program and the masterful job he did motivating a non tournament bound team, a motivation that led to a NC the following season.

People forget about the improvement of those players in the first two seasons. People want to assign all the blame for failure and give no credit for the successes.

I felt it was necessary for a coaching change the same as many of you. I know people are angry about what happened but I personally have a problem overlooking the positives because I was upset.
I will give you the motivation of players as a phenomenal job well done by KO during that tournament run. The development of those players? Not so much. Shabazz, Giffey, Daniels, Boatright all played under Calhoun until his sudden retirement in the summer of 2012. They all at least had 2 summers under his tutelage prior to KO taking over fulltime. Who truly "developed" those players more, KO or JC, noone really knows. On the other hand, players who only played under KO like Purvis, Brimah, Nolan, Omar Calhoun, Dham, Facey, did not improve much during KOs tenure as coach with the exception of Facey, who I would argue didn't improve in his 4 seasons under KO as much as Carlton developed in the 1 year under Hurley.

Reaction Score
I will give you the motivation of players as a phenomenal job well done by KO during that tournament run. The development of those players? Not so much. Shabazz, Giffey, Daniels, Boatright all played under Calhoun until his sudden retirement in the summer of 2012. They all at least had 2 summers under his tutelage prior to KO taking over fulltime. Who truly "developed" those players more, KO or JC, noone really knows. On the other hand, players who only played under KO like Purvis, Brimah, Nolan, Omar Calhoun, Dham, Facey, did not improve much during KOs tenure as coach with the exception of Facey, who I would argue didn't improve in his 4 seasons under KO as much as Carlton developed in the 1 year under Hurley.

Oooooh

Here comes the Shabazz coached that Team gang.

You can State that Kevin Ollie was very talented in some aspects of Coaching ... but sucked in others. He - turns out - could not CEO a total top Program in modern CBB. I believe he put together 8 guy’s wonderfully in 2014; got them to sync and play hard together. Coached Napier to Lead. Etc.

And the Divorce matters.

C

Chief00

[
ABF07C94-DF2C-43B0-9414-9D9B6230AC08.jpeg
So Chief was on this back to 2/5/2019. LOL - let’s hope it becomes official !

Reaction Score
Yeah color me in as cautious about this kid. He was a top 50 guy in the class and has fallen over 100 spots. There's probably a reason for that.

I feel like this kid becomes an outstanding four year college player or is just a destined for the bench kinda guy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah color me in as cautious about this kid. He was a top 50 guy in the class and has fallen over 100 spots. There's probably a reason for that.

I feel like this kid becomes an outstanding four year college player or is just a destined for the bench kinda guy.

I don't know squat about him but what I read here and on the web. The picture in my mind is of a 6'7" kid who is a wing/stretch 4. He has some skills, but isn't a shooter. He falls in the rankings because he's not what is needed as a wing/stretch 4 in the modern game. Then he grows 3" and continues to be evaluated based on a skill set that isn't critical for how he will be used. If David Robinson stayed the 6'5" he was when he went to Navy none of us would know his name.

I may be completely wrong, but the fact that Hurley seems all in suggests that he sees a kid who has some skills developed when he was shorter and who may end up being a 6'11" center when all is said and done. He can run the floor and finish on the break very well based on his clips. Supposedly a good rebounder, and if he's a good outlet and high post passer, then those skills translate very well to Hurley's system.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't know squat about him but what I read here and on the web. The picture in my mind is of a 6'7" kid who is a wing/stretch 4. He has some skills, but isn't a shooter. He falls in the rankings because he's not what is needed as a wing/stretch 4 in the modern game. Then he grows 3" and continues to be evaluated based on a skill set that isn't critical for how he will be used. If David Robinson stayed the 6'5" he was when he went to Navy none of us would know his name.

I may be completely wrong, but the fact that Hurley seems all in suggests that he sees a kid who has some skills developed when he was shorter and who may end up being a 6'11" center when all is said and done. He can run the floor and finish on the break very well based on his clips. Supposedly a good rebounder, and if he's a good outlet and high post passer, then those skills translate very well to Hurley's system.
He's more of an under the basket to the foul line 4 in the mold of Freeman, Adrien, or Facey.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
My god, the las thing I want to see when excited and looking for details on a possible incoming commit is people arguing about the horror show that was the end of KO's tenure. Let the nightmare end.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Do I think sophomore Carlton is better than senior Facey? Yes. But I was high on Carlton from the start and feel/felt he was a much more advanced player than freshman Facey. As a freshman I observed Carlton positioned himself well in the paint, had great hands and made himself available to receive passes. When he got a rebound he immediately held the ball above his head. These were skills that I wished bigger players such as Alex (horrible hands) or Thabeet (never learned in his three years under JC to rebound and keep the ball above his head) could have developed. Kentan was more athletic as a freshman but his bb IQ was poor. Other players were pointing to the place on the court where Kentan should be positioned. The amount of coaching needed to get Kentan to be decent was more difficult imo than was needed for Carlton to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom