2019 Recruiting: Jaylin Hunter | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting: Jaylin Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I've been associated with 8 universities, none of which had this practice for employees.

Michigan state U. system, New York state system, Pennsylvania state system, U. Rochester, Boston U., etc. I've also never known colleagues who did this with kids. That's why I was highly surprised. I know some schools are in a Co-Op that do reciprocal admissions, but what I hear is that the spaces for that type of thing are hardly ever available (for instance, a friend's daughter went Ivy League after not landing a reciprocal spot at Tufts, so it's harder to get such a spot than it is to be admitted to an Ivy League school).

Are you sure SUNY doesn’t? I thought they did when I went, I thought my coach had his sons go for free.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Are you sure SUNY doesn’t? I thought they did when I went, I thought my coach had his sons go for free.
My son is a SUNY prof. The branch in Syracuse has a tuition deal with SU for the kids of any of its employees. The two look like the same campus with SUNY being immediately on the other side of the Carrier Dome. I believe it reduces the cost to match SUNY I don’t believe SUNY generally waives tuition for employees but it does a small grant to reduce the cost.

Reaction Score
My son is a SUNY prof. The branch in Syracuse has a tuition deal with SU for the kids of any of its employees. The two look like the same campus with SUNY being immediately on the other side of the Carrier Dome. I believe it reduces the cost to match SUNY I don’t believe SUNY generally waives tuition for employees but it does a small grant to reduce the cost.

Are you referring to Say Yes!?? Say yes is affiliated with many cities upstate, and they do provide free education for city residents who go through public schools. They also have affiliations with privates such as Syracuse, but schools like Cuse reserve very few spots for Say Yes! kid. Plus, there are state programs like Excelsior or TAP that one can qualify under.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Are you referring to Say Yes!?? Say yes is affiliated with many cities upstate, and they do provide free education for city residents who go through public schools. They also have affiliations with privates such as Syracuse, but schools like Cuse reserve very few spots for Say Yes! kid. Plus, there are state programs like Excelsior or TAP that one can qualify under.

No. Never heard of it. So far as I know (limited info) it’s a tuition arrangement bereeen Syracuse U. And SUNY ESF for shildren of ESF employees.

Reaction Score
I think most schools do this. Fairfield University does.

As I said, I've been affiliated with 8 schools, and I talk with colleagues at other schools about their kids all the time. It is most certainly not the norm. I wish it was. It was not a policy at any of the 8 affiliations that I've had. But then again, I've never worked at a small liberal arts school. I have worked at privates however. U. of Rochester for instance doesn't have such a policy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And we’re going to need a PG. We’re replacing a true PG and a combo with a combo and a wing. Our only other true PG on the team AG had not played a full season of basketball in 3 years coming into this season. I actually think Hunter can find minutes year one.

Not sure I get this. Jalen is a PG playing SG. Smith is a combo. Boughtknight is a SG and Gafney a true PG. Brendan Adams is also a combo. So next year we’d have two PG and a Combo plus two SG. Not counting this kid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As I said, I've been affiliated with 8 schools, and I talk with colleagues at other schools about their kids all the time. It is most certainly not the norm. I wish it was. It was not a policy at any of the 8 affiliations that I've had. But then again, I've never worked at a small liberal arts school. I have worked at privates however. U. of Rochester for instance doesn't have such a policy.

Talked to my sister about this (she’s looking to adopt) and she does not think UGA does this (she works for UGA). It’s an awfully big benefit in this era. I could see a substantial discount or something.

Reaction Score
Yale gives bucks for any college, not just Yale.
Fairfield does it.
That all sounds good, until it's put into practice. Friends at those schools report it is useless. Essentially, the schools keep 5 or so spots open for each school in the co-op, and when those spots are gone, they are gone, not to mention the fact that applying for one of those spots may harm your chances of being admitted at all.

In other words, you apply for those spots, so the tuition remission isn't automatic upon admission.

Well here are some FACTS regarding Yale.

Yale pays up to 8k per term for children of faculty and staff. So 16k per year after grants and scholarships.

“Yale provides a Child Scholarship Plan for eligible university staff and faculty. The program directly reimburses a child’s accredited college or university for tuition and eligible fees only. This program is applied after grants and scholarships from all other sources are calculated and applied to tuition and fees. Room and board are not reimbursable. To qualify, both employee and child must satisfy certain criteria and complete an application process.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure what inspired me to look but..it does look like they have a somewhat similar benefit.
Tuition Benefits :: Benefits :: University of Rochester

It's not a full tuition waiver. They pay the difference between U. of R. tuition and tuition at another university. Essentially, you're still on the hook for $20k or so, which is about what Rochester would give you anyway if you applied directly for financial aid. Faculty making over $110k are not eligible.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
It's not a full tuition waiver. They pay the difference between U. of R. tuition and tuition at another university. Essentially, you're still on the hook for $20k or so, which is about what Rochester would give you anyway if you applied directly for financial aid. Faculty making over $110k are not eligible.
Get the facts and come back and see me.

Reaction Score
So how’s Jaylin Hunter been playing? :rolleyes::eek::confused:

It truly is amazing (and sometimes even awe-inspiring, although not usually) how far afield some of these threads get.

Here is a young man who obviously has talent enough to be a star on one of the best HS teams in the state. At the same time, it is legitimate to question if he has the talent to be a top-level D1 recruit/player... which is why no one is arguing whether we should bring him to UConn as anything more than a walk on. Thanks to an apparent rule about employees' kids (at least at some colleges and universities, including ours), he could get some if not all of his tuition paid for without taking up a scholarship. Definitely a good thing "for the good kids" (us).

And again, he is a focal point for one of the top teams in the state in what looks to be a very interesting season for the top high school teams, particularly once the state playoffs commence. Seems to be more than enough reason for this thread that was started to discuss him, you know, actually focus on his and East Catholic's progress through this year.

Yet instead it becomes a 3-page (and counting) discussion about which schools do or do not offer partial or complete tuition reimbursement to their employees' children? Some of you guys make me laugh. This really is a crazy place.

That having been said - HAPPY NEW YEAR to each and every one of you! May you all experience health, happiness and prosperity throughout 2019.

P.S. ... and if you decide to keep this thread going, I vote that some one throws in some updates on Jaylin's and East Catholic's progress as they happen. As a guy who used to follow Connecticut high school basketball while growing up there in the 70's and 80's (I now live in Florida), I for one am interested to know how he and they do. I am also interested in how Waterbury and Nate Tabor do this year, and almost always enjoy the perspective of how these guys and their teams are playing from those of you on here who make it a point to attend their games.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score

Had 35 and 6 at HoopHall today

He’s going to be the best walk on we’ve had since Drummond. I bet he competes for playing time immediately.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He’s going to be the best walk on we’ve had since Drummond. I bet he competes for playing time immediately.
If he was coming here as a walk on, why wouldn't it have been announced already?

Reaction Score
Whoa, I've actually never heard of any other school that does that. I'm sure there are some.

My father was a Professor then Dean etc at a NY college. 6 kids. We got free tuition at his college OR the equivalent at colleges of our choice - by contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom