2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 181 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
if in fact Amihere is out of the picture at UConn what is the fallback position if Boston goes elsewhere? It seems that after this coming season UConn would have a front court totally lacking in size other then ONO, Irwin and a big question mark in Camara.....
In other words, just ONO...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The way I read it is that she won't be taking visits "elsewhere" - as in besides her final 3. So that would mean still visiting South Carolina.
I agree with your interpretation and previous post-too many if ands and maybe. Either way it is a good sign for Louisville when a recruit visits campus and decides not to take additional visits or cancel previously scheduled ones. Obviously in this case, good for Louisville is bad for ND and potentially bad for SC. Someone on the Bench should know if Amihere is sticking to her ND visit, no? I'm sure @SCGamecock will confirm a SC visit ( or not) soon.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Charliebball said:
I certainly hope you're right but then why would Boston lead other programs on by taking multiple official visits?

I have wondered about this process and the motivation of some of the recruits. While I believe most players--even those with strong leanings to a particular college--simply are exploring their options, would it be totally unfounded to suggest that others might be using the situation for other reasons? The skeptic in me can envision a recruit inviting the nation's premier women's basketball coach into her home if only to say at a later date, "Yeah, Geno flew across the country to visit me but eventually I told him that I wanted to play elsewhere." The attention is flattering and, for some, I fear, the rejection may be satisfying, as well. Manipulative? Yes. Unethical? Probably. Unlawful? No.

I don't know Boston and am not questioning the motives of her or anyone else in particular but wonder if there aren't some players engaged in this behavior?

Perhaps I have crossed the line from skeptic to cynic and the Boneyard cognoscenti will tell me as much. In that regard, I am hoping to be wrong.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Someone on the Bench should know if Amihere is sticking to her ND visit, no?

Not necessarily. The original visit was reported by Lou Somogyi of the ND Rivals site (blueandgold.com). If she shows up for the Stanford football weekend as scheduled, I'm sure she'll be spotted on campus. Otherwise, I don't think we'd know of a cancellation unless Somogyi or someone from the South Bend Trib reported it. We don't really have folks with inside sources on the Bench.

Reaction Score
In other words, just ONO...

Everyone, including myself has seemingly forgotten that Samuelson is 6'3", 1 inch shorter than Stewart. Just as Collier is expanding her outside game I would think that KLS is going to contribute more inside. I don't think her ankle has prevented her from working on her upper body strength.

Reaction Score
Everyone, including myself has seemingly forgotten that Samuelson is 6'3", 1 inch shorter than Stewart. Just as Collier is expanding her outside game I would think that KLS is going to contribute inside. I don't think her ankle has prevented her from working on her upper body strength.

the comment was in reference to not this season but the following season..............with no secondary '19 recruit of any real size, UConn is Boston or bust...............they would have to hope that Brink, Gusters or Marshall commit in 2020 or wait for DeBerry in '21 ...........

Reaction Score
the comment was in reference to not this season but the following season....with no secondary '19 recruit of any real size, UConn is Boston or bust.....they would have to hope that Brink, Gusters or Marshall commit in 2020 or wait for DeBerry in '21 ......

Sorry, I missed that. But remember that 2 years ago UConn had a 4/5 combo that was 6'1" & 5'11" and came within a hairsbreadth of going undefeated.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Charliebball said:
I certainly hope you're right but then why would Boston lead other programs on by taking multiple official visits?

I have wondered about this process and the motivation of some of the recruits. While I believe most players--even those with strong leanings to a particular college--simply are exploring their options, would it be totally unfounded to suggest that others might be using the situation for other reasons? The skeptic in me can envision a recruit inviting the nation's premier women's basketball coach into her home if only to say at a later date, "Yeah, Geno flew across the country to visit me but eventually I told him that I wanted to play elsewhere." The attention is flattering and, for some, I fear, the rejection may be satisfying, as well. Manipulative? Yes. Unethical? Probably. Unlawful? No. I don't know Boston and am not questioning the motives of her or anyone else in particular but wonder if there aren't some players engaged in this behavior? Perhaps I have crossed the line from skeptic to cynic and the Boneyard cognoscenti will tell me as much. In that regard, I am hoping to be wrong.
Don't believe the process to be manipulative or unethical. The privilege of having Geno or any DI coach visit you at home is one that was well earned by very few. The privilege of earning a paid official visit is also well earned and limited to 5 by the NCAA. There must be mutual agreement for either to happen. In other words Geno or any other coach just doesn't show up at the front door and say "let me in I want to talk to you about UCONN WBB". A recruit just doesn't show up on campus and say "can you sign off on these expenses for my official". I would be very leery of any kid that makes a decision to attend ANY school without seriously considering the alternatives and or visiting. I'm not just talking basketball here I talking universally about the decision to attend college.
Are there kids that have made up their minds and still take official visits to other schools? Absolutely.
Are there schools who lose interest in kids after official or unofficial visits? Sure there are.
Ultimately the school has the ability to decides who gets a paid visit.
Parent are ultimately kings of their own castles and get to decide who comes into their homes. The process works.

Reaction Score
7 of the ESPN top 10 remain uncommitted, including the top 3. I don't keep close track of these things but that doesn't seem much different from past years.

that makes sense.........it seems the lower ranked players sign first to claim their spots while the top players can wait and call the shots..........

Reaction Score
Sorry, I missed that. But remember that 2 years ago UConn had a 4/5 combo that was 6'1" & 5'11" and came within a hairsbreadth of going undefeated.

true but those weren't your ordinary 6'1" and 5"11"players were they.........so many of today's teams have multiple 6'4"-6'5" players it's almost a necessity to at least come close to matching up with them.......if Camara were her old self even at 6'2" this might not be as much of an issue but being out gunned on the boards is not a recipe for success

Reaction Score
true but those weren't your ordinary 6'1" and 5"11"players were they....so many of today's teams have multiple 6'4"-6'5" players it's almost a necessity to at least come close to matching up with them..if Camara were her old self even at 6'2" this might not be as much of an issue but being out gunned on the boards is not a recipe for success

Not going into the season. There was a lot of angst back then about a lack of size on this board. Unfounded in hindsight.
Me, I'll wait till after the 2019 class signs before I'll worry. Life's too short and too filled with actual disappointments to add those that exist only as possibilities to the list.

Reaction Score
Not going into the season. There was a lot of angst back then about a lack of size on this board. Unfounded in hindsight.
Me, I'll wait till after the 2019 class signs before I'll worry. Life's too short and too filled with actual disappointments to add those that exist only as possibilities to the list.

a very sound philosophy but one that I'm way to angst ridden to follow............I'll worry for the both of us.........;)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I agree with your interpretation and previous post-too many if ands and maybe. Either way it is a good sign for Louisville when a recruit visits campus and decides not to take additional visits or cancel previously scheduled ones. Obviously in this case, good for Louisville is bad for ND and potentially bad for SC. Someone on the Bench should know if Amihere is sticking to her ND visit, no? I'm sure @SCGamecock will confirm a SC visit ( or not) soon.

Yes, will confirm when I hear something on Amihere. I thought SC was out of the running for her so I haven’t kept up with her like I have for others but I’m sure I’ll hear something soon.

Reaction Score
I certainly hope you're right but then why would Boston lead other programs on by taking multiple official visits? As I've said many times before, I think UConn is playing a dangerous game with this hyper player selectivity but that's Geno's choice and he's got to live with the results.....
Hasn't he for many years with not too shabby results.
What amazes me is actually any of the highly desired recruits going anywhere else if becoming the best possible basketball player is the goal.
Look at the greats of the game, the national women's team, and where have most come from.
Pheesa may have just made her first national team or comes darn close. KLS would have been in the mix if she was healthy.
Of course there are other important considerations for every recruit. But if professional and personal development are high on their lists, many will come.
So many love what they've built here but don't trust the pillars of how they've accomplished it. Recruiting and their high goals, expectations and ideals in this area are essentia. They don't take kids whose parents over inject themselves into their child's play. (This makes me wonder about Azzi Fudd and her dad and granddad, as great as she seems headed to be.)
As any who have read my comments know, that surely doesn't preclude Geno and the coaching staff from criticism. I just don't think any of us know what's really going on in the recruitment, or backing off a specific individual. I'd leave that to them.
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What amazes me is actually any of the highly desired recruits going anywhere else if becoming the best possible basketball player is the goal.
Look at the greats of the game, the national women's team, and where have most come from.
Pheesa may have just made her first national team or comes darn close. KLS would have been in the mix if she was healthy.
Of course there are other important considerations for every recruit. But if professional and personal development are high on their lists, many will come.
So many love what they've built here but don't trust the pillars of how they've accomplished it. Recruiting and their high goals, expectations and ideals in this area are essentia. They don't take kids whose parents over inject themselves into their child's play. (This makes me wonder about Azzi Fudd and her dad and granddad, as great as she seems headed to be.)
As any who have read my comments know, that surely doesn't preclude Geno and the coaching staff from criticism. I just don't think any of us know what's really going on in the recruitment, or backing off a specific individual. I'd leave that to them.
Bronx23

I'm a conservative guy by nature when it comes to my business dealings and I always cover my bases with a plan B in case plan A doesn't work out................those two plans may exist in Geno's recruiting business but I don't see them for this '19 recruiting class.......................as they say in the financial world, past results may not be indicative of future performance................

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I few of us began compiling a list of reason about 4 years or so ago.

1) Because there are over 300 more Division I programs out there.
2) UCONN requires a skill set that most do not have
3) College for most is about the education, not basketball
4) I want my family to be in the stands when I play so I staying as close to home as I can
5) My grades so far might get me into an Ivy league school, so if I get in that is where I'm going
6) I want to major in Fashion or (fill in the blank) and UCONN is just not that highly regarded in that major
7) I grew up a Tennessee fan & I don't mind orange so much
8) The line from The Blindside: That's where my family went so that's where I'm going
9) UCONN is just not for me, they go too hard all the time
10) Geno is going to yell at me
11) My AAU coach says UCONN is not for me
12) Sadie transferred after 1 semester and she was a McDonalds AA
13) EDD went there and never made it to 1 single class
14) Seems like it is always snowing up there in Storrs
15) UCONN doesn't have people that look like me (Diversity Angle)
16) Mark Emmert used to work at UCONN and look what he's done to the NCAA
17) I'm just a regular kid and UCONN says regular kids need not apply.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bronx23
I'm a conservative guy by nature when it comes to my business dealings and I always cover my bases with a plan B in case plan A doesn't work out......those two plans may exist in Geno's recruiting business but I don't see them for this '19 recruiting class........as they say in the financial world, past results may not be indicative of future performance......
I understand and respect your business style and approach. Makes a lot of sense for success in many businesses.
I think what you need to think about is that while college sports have many of those usual business principals, there are some differences.
Geno, CD and their coaching staffs over years have developed their model which obviously has worked better by very far, than anyone else's. It is not searching for success, it is striving for a level of excellence beyond the normal % of business return. It's built on carefully evaluating and choosing ONLY those players that they feel strongly fits their model. I believe it certainly wouldn't work in the men's game and as with anything there are some ups and some downs. Funny though how two national semi-final losses many consider down years, while any other university would die for. I have been and still am critical of those two losses, only for what I've observed in both games and the preparation and strategy for and during the games. Of course I know very little in comparison to any of their coaching staff but I've played earlier in my life and watched for now over fifty years.
I believe your critics and concerns in the recruiting aspect would actually lead to a lot less success rather than more. Often plan B's are set up to minimize fallout when Plan A doesn't work. That in and of itself would be self defeating.
I enjoy many of your comments and understand but respectfully totally disagree with those about recruiting. The only issue I think one can have on recruiting is on ones evaluation of the players, their make ups, their families role and participation, etc,.
Lastly while you are again usually correct about past results determining future performance, it actually has come pretty darn close to doing that. How many straight years of NCAA tournament entrance, sweet sixteens, elite rights, final fours and NC's have their been in their 30 plus years.
Think about how many businesses in any field of endeavor have and are still doing that.
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a conservative guy by nature when it comes to my business dealings and I always cover my bases with a plan B in case plan A doesn't work out......those two plans may exist in Geno's recruiting business but I don't see them for this '19 recruiting class........as they say in the financial world, past results may not be indicative of future performance......
Charlie, have to agree. Have followed Geno since he was in high school and believe he is one of top 3 (if not #1) icons in women's sports. Yes, not just basketball. That being said, have not seen a "Plan B" in recent classes. Doesn't mean UConn still cant win title, but talent level in Soph and Junior classes thinner than in the past.

Reaction Score
Charlie, have to agree. Have followed Geno since he was in high school and believe he is one of top 3 (if not #1) icons in women's sports. Yes, not just basketball. That being said, have not seen a "Plan B" in recent classes. Doesn't mean UConn still cant win title, but talent level in Soph and Junior classes thinner than in the past.

I remember Geno being interviewed about this incoming class and he said he was genuinely surprised when ONO called to say she was on board...........what exactly would have happened if she went elsewhere? Where would UConn be without at least one big? Thankfully that's not an issue but one day it may be............
I understand and respect your business style and approach. Makes a lot of sense for success in many businesses.
I think what you need to think about is that while college sports have many of those usual business principals, there are some differences.
Geno, CD and their coaching staffs over years have developed their model which obviously has worked better by very far, than anyone else's. It is not searching for success, it is striving for a level of excellence beyond the normal % of business return. It's built on carefully evaluating and choosing ONLY those players that they feel strongly fits their model. I believe it certainly wouldn't work in the men's game and as with anything there are some ups and some downs. Funny though how two national semi-final losses many consider down years, while any other university would die for. I have been and still am critical of those two losses, only for what I've observed in both games and the preparation and strategy for and during the games. Of course I know very little in comparison to any of their coaching staff but I've played earlier in my life and watched for now over fifty years.
I believe your critics and concerns in the recruiting aspect would actually lead to a lot less success rather than more. Often plan B's are set up to minimize fallout when Plan A doesn't work. That in and of itself would be self defeating.
I enjoy many of your comments and understand but respectfully totally disagree with those about recruiting. The only issue I think one can have on recruiting is on ones evaluation of the players, their make ups, their families role and participation, etc,.
Lastly while you are again usually correct about past results determining future performance, it actually has come pretty darn close to doing that. How many straight years of NCAA tournament entrance, sweet sixteens, elite rights, final fours and NC's have their been in their 30 plus years.
Think about how many businesses in any field of endeavor have and are still doing that.
Bronx23

I'm not looking for nor would I like UConn to become Louisville, throwing out offers like candy but I'm pretty confident that there are one or more players per class that would meet UConn's criteria that aren't actively recruited due to geography or something else...........this 2019 recruiting class just seems really iffy to me.............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom