2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 182 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm a conservative guy by nature when it comes to my business dealings and I always cover my bases with a plan B in case plan A doesn't work out......those two plans may exist in Geno's recruiting business but I don't see them for this '19 recruiting class........as they say in the financial world, past results may not be indicative of future performance......
If the success of your business if even close to what Geno has achieved just in recruiting you must be doing very well for yourself.
What you actually mean by a plan B is that you want Geno to make a contingent offers to players in the 2019. The contingency being: If UCONN doesn't get player X then we'll be glad to take you-NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! What you refuse to see is the hard work that has been done by the UCONN recruiting staff. Of the of the top 60 players in HoopGurlz class of 2019 UCONN has evaluated 20. Evaluated means : 1) That player has visited UCONN. 2) UCONN staff has had an in home visit with the player 3) UCONN coaching staff has seen the player in high level AAU tournament (Boo Williams, EYBL), HS or USA basketball games or tryouts. The UCONN evaluation process has culminated in today UCONN likely being only in pursuit of 4 (Jones, Boston, Horston & Griffin). The UCONN evaluation criteria is unwavering and simple=can this player make a contribution at UCONN? Even when the answer to that question is yes does not mean that player get a UCONN offer.
This thread started two full years ago (by you) talking about Sammie Puisis. Sammie was a player evaluated by UCONN and she will no doubt have a fine NCAA career. My other point of major disagreement with your approach is your belief in the willingness of elite (top 50-100) players to be part of a UCONN's plan B or anyone's plan B for that matter. You are essentially asking one player to wait until another makes up her mind. In that same transaction you have also told the player that you think less of them than you do of player X. Waiting on player X will cause Plan B players to miss out on scholar opportunities.
UCONN staff has put in major work in recruiting for the 2019 class therefore Plan B and/or contingency plans are not required.
I had previously asked that you trust the process because I thought you did not understand it.
Now I will simply ask that you respect the work that has been put in.

Reaction Score
If the success of your business if even close to what Geno has achieved just in recruiting you must be doing very well for yourself.
What you actually mean by a plan B is that you want Geno to make a contingent offers to players in the 2019. The contingency being: If UCONN doesn't get player X then we'll be glad to take you-NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! What you refuse to see is the hard work that has been done by the UCONN recruiting staff. Of the of the top 60 players in HoopGurlz class of 2019 UCONN has evaluated 20. Evaluated means : 1) That player has visited UCONN. 2) UCONN staff has had an in home visit with the player 3) UCONN coaching staff has seen the player in high level AAU tournament (Boo Williams, EYBL), HS or USA basketball games or tryouts. The UCONN evaluation process has culminated in today UCONN likely being only in pursuit of 4 (Jones, Boston, Horston & Griffin). The UCONN evaluation criteria is unwavering and simple=can this player make a contribution at UCONN? Even when the answer to that question is yes does not mean that player get a UCONN offer.
This thread started two full years ago (by you) talking about Sammie Puisis. Sammie was a player evaluated by UCONN and she will no doubt have a fine NCAA career. My other point of major disagreement with your approach is your belief in the willingness of elite (top 50-100) players to be part of a UCONN's plan B or anyone's plan B for that matter. You are essentially asking one player to wait until another makes up her mind. In that same transaction you have also told the player that you think less of them than you do of player X. Waiting on player X will cause Plan B players to miss out on scholar opportunities.
UCONN staff has put in major work in recruiting for the 2019 class therefore Plan B and/or contingency plans are not required.
I had previously asked that you trust the process because I thought you did not understand it.

I have the greatest respect for the program and the process but that doesn't mean that I'm entirely comfortable with it, especially when we are talking about decisions being made by only four players in an extremely competitive recruiting environment...............let me ask you because you have been involved in the WBB recruiting much longer then I have...............do you agree that recruiting has become more difficult for UConn recently due to changes in player attitudes and the ascendancy of other WBB programs? I've heard Geno mention this multiple times..............if that is the case might it be time to tweak the recruiting process a bit?

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
18) I grew up Catholic, so hating ND just doesn't feel right.
19) UCONN is a Nike school.
My four daughters went to college (Stanford, Colorado, UConn and Columbia) and, in the end, their choices were determined by some version of "This just seems like the right place for me." Yes, so while the empirical data advances the notion that you're more likely to win a national championship, earn All-America honors, represent your country in international play and earn a roster position in the WNBA if you play college basketball at UConn, there are, as Coco delineated, other factors--some of which may even seem frivolous or irrational to the casual viewer--at work here. I imagine that, ultimately, the decision of where to attend college is made not just with the head but with the heart.

Reaction Score
Thanks. You just had to remind me of the loss of Puisis didn't you? I still haven't gotten over that one.:(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have the greatest respect for the program and the process but that doesn't mean that I'm entirely comfortable with it, especially when we are talking about decisions being made by only four players in an extremely competitive recruiting environment.....let me ask you because you have been involved in the WBB recruiting much longer then I have.....do you agree that recruiting has become more difficult for UConn recently due to changes in player attitudes and the ascendancy of other WBB programs? I've heard Geno mention this multiple times....if that is the case might it be time to tweak the recruiting process a bit?
There is obviously a strong correlation between recruiting success and on court performance but the former does not "guarantee" the latter . UCONN is still overwhelmingly winning the recruiting wars if measured by transcendent players with Maya & Stewie being the last two. UCONN is also winning recruiting as measured by most number one recruits with KML, Stewie, KLS, MW, & CW being the most recent. In the last 10 recruiting class UCONN has gotten #1 player 6 times. Only one other school (Baylor) has gotten the #1 player more than once. I'm assuming you envision ND as one of the programs that has ascended, but in the last 10 recruiting class ND has never had the #1 player and ND has not signed a top 10 player in either of the last two (2017 & 2018). Obviously a big exclusion because Shepard was a transfer. SC has certainly ascended on the strength only 1 # overall player. So to partially answer your first question, no I don't see a need to tweak the recruiting strategy because of the ascendency of other programs: 1) UCONN is winning the recruiting battle 2) Winning the recruiting battle is no guarantee of on court success 3) Most importantly, the UCONN process still produces players that are a best fit for the UCONN system-which remains unchanged.
Tweaking the UCONN recruiting process for player attitudes is a different matter, but I believe this tweaking has already been done and will be continuous.
If you Google "Geno Auriemma harder to recruit the right kids" you will come up with at least 1/2 dozen videos ( all of which have been posted here) of Geno explaining why it getting harder to recruit the right kids. This is an on going generational thing and despite what Geno is saying he has adjusted successfully and is still The Best at it. Rebecca Lobo, DT, Maya Moore, Stewie, MW, CW and Haley Jones might be considered different generations depending on where you want to draw the line. What they all have in common though is that when Geno comes calling they have answered the call-even if sometimes Mom or dad didn't necessarily want their daughter heading to Storrs.

Reaction Score
I have the greatest respect for the program and the process but that doesn't mean that I'm entirely comfortable with it, especially when we are talking about decisions being made by only four players in an extremely competitive recruiting environment.....let me ask you because you have been involved in the WBB recruiting much longer then I have.....do you agree that recruiting has become more difficult for UConn recently due to changes in player attitudes and the ascendancy of other WBB programs? I've heard Geno mention this multiple times....if that is the case might it be time to tweak the recruiting process a bit?
I don't know what tweaks Auriemma can really make. He's kind of boxed himself in because of his team's success. I can't see him changing his priorities which are only pursuing what he considers elite level players and filling in the holes with average skilled, happy to be there type kids. And elite level kids are not going to settle for being option Bs. He's still getting most of the ones he really wants and those other ascendant programs are just doing a better job of getting who's left. There's always going to be small dips for him here and there creating some thin classes but overall, until he quits he'll still get his normal quota of the best.

Reaction Score
It always bothered me that Geno would go after a few select recruits instead of having a broader range. I know in most years Geno gets who he wants, but in some years his first choice goes elsewhere. I'm hoping that UCONN signs Boston, Jones, and either Horston or Griffin or both out of the 2019 class.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Charlie, have to agree. Have followed Geno since he was in high school and believe he is one of top 3 (if not #1) icons in women's sports. Yes, not just basketball. That being said, have not seen a "Plan B" in recent classes. Doesn't mean UConn still cant win title, but talent level in Soph and Junior classes thinner than in the past.

It always bothered me that Geno would go after a few select recruits instead of having a broader range. I know in most years Geno gets who he wants, but in some years his first choice goes elsewhere. I'm hoping that UCONN signs Boston, Jones, and either Horston or Griffin or both out of the 2019 class.
I used to be firmly parked where both of you seem to be currently-that Geno should cast a wider net in recruiting. That was until I came to the understanding that the size of the net is determined by that criteria I previously wrote about. The criteria is simply this: can that player make a contribution at UCONN. Very rarely does that net extend beyond top 50 players. That initial catch of 50 is then filtered by interest, by position and skill set, by parents etc. down to possibly or 15-20 who are further evaluated. Depending on the year 20 or so evaluations results in 3-5 offers per class which results in an acceptance rate of 2-3.5 each year. 2 to 3.5 accepts per year results in 1.5-2 players from each incoming class being part of the regular rotation which is usually fixed at 6-8. Resulting in ~1 player/year (usually one not a part of the rotation) transferring. The limitations should also be fairly obvious. Rarely does UCONN find a contributor below top 50 ranked players. Properly evaluating more than 20 players in each class is not manageable among a coaching staff of 4.
Should UCONN extend more offers? To answer my own question not unless you intend to increase the size of the rotation.

Reaction Score
I don't know what tweaks Auriemma can really make. He's kind of boxed himself in because of his team's success. I can't see him changing his priorities which are only pursuing what he considers elite level players and filling in the holes with average skilled, happy to be there type kids. And elite level kids are not going to settle for being option Bs. He's still getting most of the ones he really wants and those other ascendant programs are just doing a better job of getting who's left. There's always going to be small dips for him here and there creating some thin classes but overall, until he quits he'll still get his normal quota of the best.

For instance, I'm really not sure what happened with Amihere but wouldn't it have been wise to possibly consider another post player like Maori Davenport or Kennedy Brown both who looked like very solid if not spectacular bigs? Now maybe UConn did contact one or both of them but we will never know..........

Reaction Score
I used to be firmly parked where both of you seem to be currently-that Geno should cast a wider net in recruiting. That was until I came to the understanding that the size of the net is determined by that criteria I previously wrote about. The criteria is simply this: can that player make a contribution at UCONN. Very rarely does that net extend beyond top 50 players. That initial catch of 50 is then filtered by interest, by position and skill set, by parents etc. down to possibly or 15-20 who are further evaluated. Depending on the year 20 or so evaluations results in 3-5 offers per class which results in an acceptance rate of 2-3.5 each year. 2 to 3.5 accepts per year results in 1.5-2 players from each incoming class being part of the regular rotation which is usually fixed at 6-8. Resulting in ~1 player/year (usually one not a part of the rotation) transferring. The limitations should also be fairly obvious. Rarely does UCONN find a contributor below top 50 ranked players. Properly evaluating more than 20 players in each class is not manageable among a coaching staff of 4.
Should UCONN extend more offers? To answer my own question not unless you intend to increase the size of the rotation.

how do you explain the recruitment of Irwin and Bent, both outstanding students and individuals but certainly not top 100 players? Could it be that only one top 100 player was up to UConn's standards that year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For instance, I'm really not sure what happened with Amihere but wouldn't it have been wise to possibly consider another post player like Maori Davenport or Kennedy Brown both who looked like very solid if not spectacular bigs? Now maybe UConn did contact one or both of them but we will never know.....
That last point there is a really good one for us all to keep in mind. As much as we like to pretend we know everythin that is going on in the UCONN recruiting world, WE DON"T.
Two quick examples:
1) I watched Batouly Camara closely because of where she played HS ball and also followed UCONN recruiting pretty closely for that class. Never knew Batouly had a UCONN offer coming out of HS or even that UCONN was recruiting her.
2) Sarah Imovbioh was a graduate transfer from Virginia to South Carolina. After she had accepted to play at South Carolina she said that UCONN had also offered her upon leaving Virginia.
There may be a lot going on behind the scenes that we have not heard about.

Reaction Score
That last point there is a really good one for us all to keep in mind. As much as we like to pretend we know everythin that is going on in the UCONN recruiting world, WE DON"T.

that's my biggest complaint of all...................I know what I know but I don't know what's going on up there!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
how do you explain the recruitment of Irwin and Bent, both outstanding students and individuals but certainly not top 100 players? Could it be that only one top 100 player was up to UConn's standards that year?
No. That would have been the 2016 class and at a minimum in that class Lauren Cox, Erin Boley (as sophomore) also had UCONN offers along with of course Crystal Dangerfield. Additionally Tori McCoy was evaluated by UCONN in home visit but not offered. So the yield was not what was expected 3 offers and only 1 accept.
There was a ton of players evaluated by UCONN in that class Kelly Jekot, Anna Wilson, Natalie Chou, Sabrina Ionescu, Jocelyn Willoughby, Kysre Gondrezik, Felecia Aiyeotan, Nancy Nulkey.... One notable miss meaning I'm not sure if UCONN evaluated her or not, was Taysha Harris. Taysha was from the same high school as UCONN fave Kelly Faris. We had one poster saying that UCONN really needs to take at look at this kid. Well that kid ended up being the starting PG on the National Champions as a Freshmen. For those that have not heard the Ionouscu story yet apparently the word was that UCONN learned very early on in the recruiting process that Sabrina was not leaving the left coast and did not pursue her.
Specific to Moly and Kyla recall that since the 2013-14 season the UCONN roster had included a pair of walk-ons Tierney and Briana. Even with two walk-ons the UCONN roster was only at 11. IMO Moly and Kyla were recruited to maintain the optimal roster and without the expectation of being "major" contributors to the UCONN program.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
On the other hand...

The 6-foot Griffin, who made an unofficial visit to U of L in July, only has two visits scheduled, according to Ricci. She is visiting U of L this weekend and will head to Connecticut next weekend. Those two schools have been among the favorites in her recruiting since the spring.

New York star Aubrey Griffin set for Louisville official visit

Reaction Score
No. That would have been the 2016 class and at a minimum in that class Lauren Cox, Erin Boley (as sophomore) also had UCONN offers along with of course Crystal Dangerfield. Additionally Tori McCoy was evaluated by UCONN in home visit but not offered. So the yield was not what was expected 3 offers and only 1 accept.
There was a ton of players evaluated by UCONN in that class Kelly Jekot, Anna Wilson, Natalie Chou, Sabrina Ionescu, Jocelyn Willoughby, Kysre Gondrezik, Felecia Aiyeotan, Nancy Nulkey.... One notable miss meaning I'm not sure if UCONN evaluated her or not, was Taysha Harris. Taysha was from the same high school as UCONN fave Kelly Faris. We had one poster saying that UCONN really needs to take at look at this kid. Well that kid ended up being the starting PG on the National Champions as a Freshmen. For those that have not heard the Ionouscu story yet apparently the word was that UCONN learned very early on in the recruiting process that Sabrina was not leaving the left coast and did not pursue her.
Specific to Moly and Kyla recall that since the 2013-14 season the UCONN roster had included a pair of walk-ons Tierney and Briana. Even with two walk-ons the UCONN roster was only at 11. IMO Moly and Kyla were recruited to maintain the optimal roster and without the expectation of being "major" contributors to the UCONN program.

I remember the disappointment of Cox deciding to stay home and the winding recruiting paths of both Ionescu and Slocum.............so 2016 really was a year where UConn went after a couple of the big guns but missed with the exception of Crystal.........fingers crossed against a repeat of that although a one person class of Jones, Boston or Horston would not be the worst thing that could happen

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What is the tweet? Not showing

It was an Adamec tweet detailing 4/5 officials Aubrey Griffin was supposed to take according to her coach. My next post counters that claim as Louisville's reporter says Griffin is only visiting UConn and Louisville. Adamec has deleted his tweet which is why it isn't showing. Don't know if that means he received new info or what, but perhaps Jody Demling's report is the accurate one.

Reaction Score

Every year there are ONLY a handful of players that are A. good enough to play at UConn and B. willing to work as hard as UConn players work. Coach Auriemma is not going to lower his standards simply to get a warm body that will sit on the bench for four years. Recruiting is cyclical, if UConn has a down year it is usually followed by a very good one.

Reaction Score
It was an Adamec tweet detailing 4/5 officials Aubrey Griffin was supposed to take according to her coach. My next post counters that claim as Louisville's reporter says Griffin is only visiting UConn and Louisville. Adamec has deleted his tweet which is why it isn't showing. Don't know if that means he received new info or what, but perhaps Jody Demling's report is the accurate one.

He posted this 5 minutes ago.

Reaction Score
I remember the disappointment of Cox deciding to stay home and the winding recruiting paths of both Ionescu and Slocum...so 2016 really was a year where UConn went after a couple of the big guns but missed with the exception of Crystal....fingers crossed against a repeat of that although a one person class of Jones, Boston or Horston would not be the worst thing that could happen

I am predicting/dreaming/praying a class of Boston, Jones, and Horston this year and Brink, Watson, and Van Lith or Bueckers next year. Could imagine this lineup together for 3 years?

1. Van Lith or Bueckers
2. Horston
3. Jones
4. Brink/Watson
5. Boston

Reaction Score
I am predicting/dreaming/praying a class of Boston, Jones, and Horston this year and Brink, Watson, and Van Lith or Bueckers next year. Could imagine this lineup together for 3 years?

1. Van Lith or Bueckers
2. Horston
3. Jones
4. Brink/Watson
5. Boston

one can only hope..........;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

1. Van Lith or Bueckers
2. Horston
3. Jones
4. Brink/Watson
5. Boston

You can likely forget about Watson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads