2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 178 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
And yet, Dolph Schayes, Ernie Grunfeld, Art Heyman and Nancy Lieberman chose to attend college at schools other than Brandeis or Yeshiva. What, the Judges and Maccabees are not among the basketball elite? Never mind.

:confused: ???

I was very much trying to focus on how Archbishop Mitty and Notre Dame have very similar missions as academic institutions affiliated with the Roman Catholic religion. That may or may not have some bearing on her decision on where to attend college.

Recently, Notre Dame has had success recruiting two players --Danielle Patterson and Jordan Nixon -- from The Mary Louis Academy in Queens, New York. Arike Ogunbowale also attended a Catholic-affiliated school in Milwaukee. Did this help/hinder ND? Don't know, but it obviously didn't hurt.

However, if you take a short drive to one of TMLA's rivals in Queens and look at their Hall of Fame, you'll find a different story.
- Chamique Holdsclaw went to Tennessee; and,
- both Tina Charles and Sue Bird went to UConn.

As for the four folks you mentioned, my focus was on the academic institution they attended. And those four all went to public high schools (says the former Long Islander):
- Grunfeld: Forest Hills
- Schayes: DeWitt Clinton
- Lieberman: Far Rockaway
- Heyman: Oceanside

If they had gone to Jewish-affiliated high schools, would their choices of Tennessee, Duke, etc. have changed? Who knows? Maybe if Brandeis had a big-time program or coach?

In the long run, the affiliation may have some bearing...or it may not.

Reaction Score
While Haley Jones may we’ll end up at ND, I think the Catholic school angle is overrated. Many parents enroll their children at private/parochial schools primarily for the educational and athletic opportunities that unfortunately are not always available at public schools. Archbishop Mitty is an outstanding school in the Bay Area, with one of the very best basketball programs in CA, and it also happens to be a Catholic school.

My wife and I enrolled our son at a private, Episcopal HS with an outstanding academic reputation and an excellent athletic program, and none of us are Episcopalians.

I would also point out that Mater Dei, former home of KML and the Samuelson sisters, is also a Catholic prep school, just like Mitty.

Reaction Score
I think this is a very interesting conversation which now adds (been there actually all along) being educated in a religious college / environment to so many other factors such as: geography; academic level of schools and their specific programs; playing with close friends; comfort level at each specific campus and with the players currently and previously there; and many, many more without even considering specific coaches, their skills, prior successes, playing time, other recruits, etc.
Choosing amongst all these factors makes this an extremely difficult, complicated and also a huge decision for each student. One factor is their relationship with their parents and the influence the parent still has on them. Some young people still want and need their parents approval and agreement with their decision, others less so, or the very few who take full control of this critical decision. I say this knowing perfectly well this can be viewed positively or negatively how they make this familial aspect is incorporated into their decision.
I'm thinking of two examples of U Conn players, present and past. If I remember correctly Sue Bird initially attended a public HS on Long Island (think it was Syosset HS), and choose to transfer to Christ The King HS, a women's basketball powerhouse. It meant her father I believe getting an apartment close to CTK in Queens and I think she was there for two years. Thi
s was clearly done to maximize her enormous basketball talent. While I don't wish to offend anyone CTK is a good academic school but not an elite Catholic HS as compared to previously mentioned Mary Louis HS or another called St. Francis Prep. Obviously this decision appears to have worked out quite well as she is probably the greatest point guard in women's basketball history.
The other example is KLS who comes from the HS mentioned and described above. Also obviously as is well documented she has two older sisters who were and are excellent players in their own right who choose a premiere coach and basketball program as well as one of the better / best academic institutions in the US. Because of her own intrinsic personality and qualities she wants to follow a new path rather than follow her older sisters to Stanford. Being the best basketball player of the three maybe was part of her wanting something different. And she wasn't comparing Geno to chopped liver either. U Conn is a very, very good academic institution but in most fields not comparable to Stanford.
Again making it clear that I personally know nothing about either individuals or their families in these two cases, other than both seem to be wonderful, supportive, loving ones, my main point is each recruit has so many things to weigh and balance in their choice. What a religious university adds or takes away is going to be viewed and weighted differently by each person.
So while some of you anxiously await this years or next years dream recruits, try and understand the complexities of this decision. Some get it right for them. Others get it wrong. The most important issue or point is who they adapt and move on.
I've done a good deal or training in real estate and previously social work and lately at the end of my training sessions I end reading a Chinese fortune cookie saying. I know I'm pretty weird!
It is "things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out."
Bronx23

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
:confused: ???

I was very much trying to focus on how Archbishop Mitty and Notre Dame have very similar missions as academic institutions affiliated with the Roman Catholic religion. That may or may not have some bearing on her decision on where to attend college.

Recently, Notre Dame has had success recruiting two players --Danielle Patterson and Jordan Nixon -- from The Mary Louis Academy in Queens, New York. Arike Ogunbowale also attended a Catholic-affiliated school in Milwaukee. Did this help/hinder ND? Don't know, but it obviously didn't hurt.

However, if you take a short drive to one of TMLA's rivals in Queens and look at their Hall of Fame, you'll find a different story.
- Chamique Holdsclaw went to Tennessee; and,
- both Tina Charles and Sue Bird went to UConn.

As for the four folks you mentioned, my focus was on the academic institution they attended. And those four all went to public high schools (says the former Long Islander):
- Grunfeld: Forest Hills
- Schayes: DeWitt Clinton
- Lieberman: Far Rockaway
- Heyman: Oceanside

If they had gone to Jewish-affiliated high schools, would their choices of Tennessee, Duke, etc. have changed? Who knows? Maybe if Brandeis had a big-time program or coach?

In the long run, the affiliation may have some bearing...or it may not.
I was just pulling your leg, dusting your dome, trying to get your Irish up or whatever the written equivalent is to a gentle elbow to the ribs, Dillon. Some have warned about failing to attach a ;) to such comments and, apparently, I should have heeded that advice. I have no idea how much, if any the "Catholic connection" will help in Notre Dame's recruiting but, like my grandmother used to say about chicken soup, "it couldn't hurt."

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I was just pulling your leg, dusting your dome, trying to get your Irish up or whatever the written equivalent is to a gentle elbow to the ribs, Dillon. Some have warned about failing to attach a ;) to such comments and, apparently, I should have heeded that advice. I have no idea how much, if any the "Catholic connection" will help in Notre Dame's recruiting but, like my grandmother used to say about chicken soup, "it couldn't hurt."

Got it. And I like chicken soup. A lot! Like a lot of good (fill in the blank) boys.... ;):D

Reaction Score
That's a little ridiculous. Those classes are few and far between. If UConn gets a block buster 3 person class, you can almost guarantee a weak recruiting class the next season. In theory, after a 4 year cycle of that you would have 12 elite players. No one is going to be happy with that.
While opinions vary, thinking "analysts", players, and even coaches often overthink this issue. While difficult to sustain, every year UConn has recruited 3 All Americans, they have dominated. You wonder if:
-Did UConn lose several "Bigs" due to Charli Collier committing (i.e. then decommitting?). Is it possible that some of the potential 4's and 5's that would have joined UConn did not since they felt Collier would get the major minutes (i.e. that didn't happen).
-Did Geno change his recruiting strategy once Collier committed? Hindsight is wonderful but were there some with outstanding skills but not 100% aligned with UConn's approach that Geno did not follow through on once Collier committed.
-Compared to a UConn historic perspective, our Junior class is relatively weak. Did some players go elsewhere based on their assumptions of reduced playing time? Would love to see them in a Huskie uniform now.
Seems coaches and players should just go where the best fit is. Based on the NCAA banners at UConn, seems to take care of itself.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
While Haley Jones may we’ll end up at ND, I think the Catholic school angle is overrated. Many parents enroll their children at private/parochial schools primarily for the educational and athletic opportunities that unfortunately are not always available at public schools. Archbishop Mitty is an outstanding school in the Bay Area, with one of the very best basketball programs in CA, and it also happens to be a Catholic school.

My wife and I enrolled our son at a private, Episcopal HS with an outstanding academic reputation and an excellent athletic program, and none of us are Episcopalians.

I would also point out that Mater Dei, former home of KML and the Samuelson sisters, is also a Catholic prep school, just like Mitty.

Agreed. I was educated at an Episcopal school as well (Porter-Gaud).. When it came time for colleges, most kids either went Ivy, to the “Southern Ivies” or to large public schools. Very few of us sought out religion affiliated schools at the next level for various reasons...

If Jones selects Notre Dame, the fact that it’s a catholic school may play a part, but I don’t think it’ll be a significant one at all.

Reaction Score
you hit just the right notes in your explanation of ND's advantages......I'm just trying to stay positive from a UConn point of view as Ms Jones is a prototypical UConn star in the making that would thrive under Geno's tutelage......from my standpoint it would be a shame to see her go anywhere else but her "rightful" place...

I seem to recall that a couple of California players who attended a Catholic high school called Mater Dei didn't hesitate to choose UConn over a catholic school. I don't think the education one receives at Stanford or Notre Dame is any better than at many other schools. What they offer is a better credential, nothing more. And as far as "the Catholic educational mission of developing community, teaching the message of the Gospels, and promoting service, peace, and justice", while that may be accurate it is also true that the Roman Catholic Church as an institution is going through a rough patch, public image wise.

As far as Hailey Van Lith, she is obviously a rare talent and would be an asset in Storrs. However I'd wager she dribbles more times in a game than the entire UConn team. I could see her being yanked off the floor after 1 or 2 minutes of that sort of play as a freshman.

The consummate UConn prospect IMO is Bueckers, who, before she gets the ball, always seems to know what she is going to do with it. Every so often a player comes along that seems to be 2 or 3 seconds ahead of the other 9 players on the court. Bueckers is such a player and I want her playing for UConn. She is also 3 or 4 inches taller than Hailey Van Lith and has a much longer wing span which will be a huge advantage in college.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall that a couple of California players who attended a Catholic high school called Mater Dei didn't hesitate to choose UConn over a catholic school. I don't think the education one receives at Stanford or Notre Dame is any better than at many other schools. What they offer is a better credential, nothing more. And as far as "the Catholic educational mission of developing community, teaching the message of the Gospels, and promoting service, peace, and justice", while that may be accurate it is also true that the Roman Catholic Church as an institution is going through a rough patch, public image wise.

As far as Hailey Van Lith, she is obviously a rare talent and would be an asset in Storrs. However I'd wager she dribbles more times in a game than the entire UConn team. I could see her being yanked off the floor after 1 or 2 minutes of that sort of play as a freshman.

The consummate UConn prospect IMO is Bueckers, who, before she gets the ball, always seems to know what she is going to do with it. Every so often a player comes along that seems to be 2 or 3 seconds ahead of the other 9 players on the court. Bueckers is such a player and I want her playing for UConn. She is also 3 or 4 inches taller than Hailey Van Lith and has a much longer wing span which will be a huge advantage in college.

The importance of religion in the recruiting process is intensely personal and none of us can claim to know how it impacts a final decision.............not sure where you are going as far as the quality of the two schools.............by most every measure, Stanford is one of the finest universities in the world never mind the country and Notre Dame is no slouch........I was one of the earliest fans of Paige Bueckers and she would be the top option for UConn all things being equal...........PB and Hailey Van Lith would make a great tandem but if PB chooses to go elsewhere, Hailey Van Lith would be a great option........

Reaction Score
All this talk about catholic schools. Does anyone know if Jones is even catholic? Where I come from the catholic schools had good basketball programs so folks attend them and most aren't even catholic... .

great point...............understanding a recruits mindset is difficult enough without guessing about religious affiliation............from past articles I know that Caitlin Clark, one of the top three '20 point guards is a deeply religious Catholic from the Midwest and thought for that reason that ND was a perfect landing spot..........really not sure about other players

Reaction Score
The importance of religion in the recruiting process is intensely personal and none of us can claim to know how it impacts a final decision...not sure where you are going as far as the quality of the two schools...by most every measure, Stanford is one of the finest universities in the world never mind the country and Notre Dame is no slouch...I was one of the earliest fans of Paige Bueckers and she would be the top option for UConn all things being equal......PB and Hailey Van Lith would make a great tandem but if PB chooses to go elsewhere, Hailey Van Lith would be a great option...

I think we can agree that schools like Stanford, Duke, etc. do not have any "secret" knowledge or books that only their students have access. IMO the education a student receives, especially at the undergraduate level, is up to them. What schools like Duke, Stanford, the Ivy League schools, etc offer is a credential that opens doors when applying to grad school or interviewing for a job. Those schools have a high % of students who come from wealthy and influential families and meeting and networking with the children of corporate board members gives graduates of those schools an edge. This fact was well established back in the early 70's in a book called "Who rules America", where it was shown that a huge % of those in positions of power in the US went to a small group of prep schools and attended a small group of colleges.

I stated that Hailey Van Lith would be an asset for CT. She's on a path toward being a college AA. My preference for PB is based on perception. When I think of Hailey Van Lith I see her doing great things for herself with the ball in her hands. Sure she does more than that but that's my perception. When I think of Bueckers I picture her deflecting a pass on defense or throwing a pass down court to an open team mate. Bueckers is a great scorer, both inside and out to the arc, but her game is so much more. They don't give points for style or flair but as fan in the stands looking for entertainment there is no one I'd rather watch than Bueckers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we can agree that schools like Stanford, Duke, etc. do not have any "secret" knowledge or books that only their students have access. IMO the education a student receives, especially at the undergraduate level, is up to them. What schools like Duke, Stanford, the Ivy League schools, etc offer is a credential that opens doors when applying to grad school or interviewing for a job. Those schools have a high % of students who come from wealthy and influential families and meeting and networking with the children of corporate board members gives graduates of those schools an edge. This fact was well established back in the early 70's in a book called "Who rules America", where it was shone that a huge % of those in positions of power in the US went to a small group of prep schools and attended a small group of colleges.

I stated that Hailey Van Lith would be an asset for CT. She's on a path toward being a college AA. My preference for PB is based on perception. When I think of Hailey Van Lith I see her doing great things for herself with the ball in her hands. Sure she does more than that but that's my perception. When I think of Bueckers I picture her deflecting a pass on defense or throwing a pass down court to an open team mate. Bueckers is a great scorer, both inside and out to the arc, but her game is so much more. They don't give points for style or flair but as fan in the stands looking for entertainment there is no one I'd rather watch than Bueckers.

Stanford's undergraduate acceptance rate is 5%, Notre Dame's is 19.5%...............no doubt a chosen few can pull some strings but the vast majority of students are superior academically.................I know a couple of profs at Stanford who teach at the undergraduate level and they are both outstanding...............combine great teaching and bright inquisitive students and you have a great learning environment................that's what is sometimes missing from your run of the mill university................does that mean that you can't get a great education elsewhere? Clearly not.........
we are in agreement on Bueckers.............I'm just not convinced she's headed UConn's way...............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All this talk about catholic schools. Does anyone know if Jones is even catholic? Where I come from the catholic schools had good basketball programs so folks attend them and most aren't even catholic... .
I have no idea if Jones is Catholic. But I can guarantee you that Geno is Catholic, even though he struggles occasionally with the 2nd commandment.

Thank God for Confession. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stanford's undergraduate acceptance rate is 5%, Notre Dame's is 19.5%.....no doubt a chosen few can pull some strings but the vast majority of students are superior academically.......I know a couple of profs at Stanford who teach at the undergraduate level and they are both outstanding.....combine great teaching and bright inquisitive students and you have a great learning environment......that's what is sometimes missing from your run of the mill university......does that mean that you can't get a great education elsewhere? Clearly not....
we are in agreement on Bueckers...I'm just not convinced she's headed UConn's way.....

Sure those schools get a higher % of academically superior students. But that has more to do with the education they get in private prep schools whose sole goal is getting the children of the rich and powerful into a small group of universities. And the acceptance rate is partly due to the number of applicants vs the openings. That has little to do with the quality of the education they get as undergraduates, except perhaps for the student/faculty ratio. Those top universities get so many applicants because of their name. I stand by my position that it's the piece of paper and the contacts they make and not what they learn that holds the real value. And with basketball taking up most of their non-academic time I doubt many recruits socialize enough to make the sort of contacts that will get them lucrative careers after graduation.

But I respect opposing opinions.

Now let's get back to the 19/20 recruits,

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers wishing her left hand, Hailey Van Lith, a happy birthday. I know where they could make a great pair of hands.

Hailey Van Lith responded to the tweet and called Bueckers her dawg....clearly an indication both players are headed to the Univ. of Washington....:rolleyes:

I don't think UConn refers to their teams as Dawgs do they? You see that about as often as Huskies w/ UW.

And yes I'm kidding, no chance of either player ending up Seattle.

Reaction Score

"The consummate UConn prospect IMO is Bueckers, who, before she gets the ball, always seems to know what she is going to do with it. Every so often a player comes along that seems to be 2 or 3 seconds ahead of the other 9 players on the court. Bueckers is such a player and I want her playing for UConn."
.....every so often is right....Let's hope she heads to Storrs!:D

Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers wishing her left hand, Hailey Van Lith, a happy birthday. I know where they could make a great pair of hands.

This is so sweet, and personal. Quite apart from where any of them wind up playing college ball, I think that the bond the members of the U17 team has formed is truly remarkable. The connection is not just between the duo of Paige and Azzi, or among the trio of Paige, Azzi, and Samantha. This tweet shows that the family is larger than that. Also, many posts assume that Samantha is the glue, but it sure looks like Paige can hold her own when it comes to nurturing friendships.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Really? I had Texas in her final 5... she took unofficial visits to South Carolina, UConn, Texas and UCLA I believe, so I knew she was really interested in those 4. I expected SC, UConn and Texas in her 5. Stanford was obvious and Notre Dame just won a title, so I figured they’d both be there. Oregon instead of Texas or UCLA is the surprise for me.... but not really once I considered who the HC of the Ducks is and his relationship to Jones’ AAU program.
She took several unofficial visits in addition to those you listed. In the end, I think Oregon being an Elite 8 team two consecutive seasons indicates they are a surging program; can't fault her for liking them.; and, lots of kids from northern California go to school in Oregon and Washington.

That being said, I will be shocked if she doesn't end up at Stanford, UConn, or ND.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom